stratosphere
Topic Author

New cop car design graphic too aggressive

Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:58 am

The Laguna Beach CA police dept has a new American flag graphic on it's police car emboldened on the doors. Just when I thought I saw it all apparently there are some California snowflakes offended by it saying it's too aggressive. Well it's a cop car isn't it supposed to be aggressive and visible? I am not a flag waver by any means but I don't see anything particularly wrong with it I just can't wrap my head around how little it takes to get butt hurt today by some people.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/america ... 55538.html

TSS

Re: New cop car design graphic too aggressive

Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:08 am

I was expecting something really over the top… As cop car logos go, that one is quite tasteful and attractive. I've seen far worse many times.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Redd

Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:09 pm

It looks a tad redneck(ish) over patriotic, but I don't see anything offensive about it.

Scorpio

Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:21 pm

It looks incredibly American. And by that, I mean tacky as hell. Almost cartoonish. Screams 'Murrica!'

stratosphere wrote:
Well it's a cop car isn't it supposed to be aggressive

No...

FatCat

Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:59 pm

you have to have a lot of time to waste if you take some of it to criticize a police car's livery.
some time ago I had the police's Huracan behind, with lights and sirens, that is an aggressive police car, lol
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

910A

Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:14 pm

Graphics look like they belong on a commercial truck like a plumber, a/c repair or pool service guy.

P1aneMad

Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:26 pm

It triggers intersectional snowflakes? Then it is a good choice!

Kno

Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:20 pm

It looks tacky and stupid, but of course in Laguna Beach you'll find plenty of people with nothing better to complain about.

Dutchy

Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:50 pm

Really people complained that this is too aggressive? Strange.

Another related question. Almost everywhere you see the livery of cop cars or other government vehicles all standardized. This seems not to be the case in the US, whom decides this? Individual police forces or something?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

L410Turbolet

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:28 pm

I obviously can't weigh in on the "patriotic" aspect od this issue, but if safety was the official reason behind the design change, why did they choose black... out of all colors!?!? Be it car's visibility as such or the well known factor of black cars getting hotter inside while on the sun.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:33 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Really people complained that this is too aggressive? Strange.

Another related question. Almost everywhere you see the livery of cop cars or other government vehicles all standardized. This seems not to be the case in the US, whom decides this? Individual police forces or something?

The state or the local department decides on colors, insignia. Lots of variations across the US. If you think police are “bad” look into US fire department colors, especially volunteer companies—all sorts of colors, designs, lights.

Gf

NIKV69

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:46 pm

Keyword "California"
"Some people did something" Rep Omar on 9/11

F737NG

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:57 pm

You know what actually looks 'too aggressive'?

This:

As for the design on the police cars in Laguna Beach, no, definitely not aggressive. Just not as easy to read as a simple, uniform in-fill of the lettering.

It appears to be the preserve of 'the Left' in the Western world to be culturally offended by any form of patriotism (which is not the same as nationalism). There are so many things to be upset about and want to change in the World - this story really shouldn't be one of them.

afcjets

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:58 pm

I wonder if the same people are offended by American Airlines flag tail, or is it less offensive because it has some orange? The billboard title though of American on the fuselage is probably way too aggressive and insulting.

seb146

Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:43 pm

Reading through the code and ettiquite for the American flag, two things jump out at me:

The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored so that it might be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.

And these two points about displaying a flag on a vehicle:

The flag should not be displayed on a float except from a staff, nor draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of a vehicle
When the flag is displayed on a vehicle, the staff should be fixed firmly to the chassis.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

northstardc4m

Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:32 am

Looks typically American flag pride in your face... The US seems to sticks flags on everything.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

stl07

Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:35 am

I think it just looks kind of weird honestly. Must have been a slow news day. I'm just curious why this non-issue was made into a thread. The .01% will always object to change because they are stuck in their old ways and "what they are used to"
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

stl07

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:15 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Keyword "California"

Laguna Beach is in orange county
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

stl07

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:18 am

stratosphere wrote:
The Laguna Beach CA police dept has a new American flag graphic on it's police car emboldened on the doors. Just when I thought I saw it all apparently there are some California snowflakes offended by it saying it's too aggressive. Well it's a cop car isn't it supposed to be aggressive and visible? I am not a flag waver by any means but I don't see anything particularly wrong with it I just can't wrap my head around how little it takes to get butt hurt today by some people.

Hahahahaha this completely backfired. Orange County is one of the only conservative cities in California. So you all are calling conservatives snowflakes!

As an independent, I say both sides have some snowflakes but I'm happy to hear the right calling themselves one for once

marcelh

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:30 am

Scorpio wrote:
It looks incredibly American. And by that, I mean tacky as hell. Almost cartoonish. Screams 'Murrica!'

:checkmark:

Magog

Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:34 am

stl07 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

Hahahahaha this completely backfired. Orange County is one of the only conservative cities in California. So you all are calling conservatives snowflakes!

As an independent, I say both sides have some snowflakes but I'm happy to hear the right calling themselves one for once

Orange County is not a city. Orange County is not 100% conservative. Hillary Clinton carried it, after all. It’s not the conservatives who are doing the complaining.

stl07

Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:35 am

Magog wrote:
stl07 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

Orange County is not a city. Orange County is not 100% conservative. Hillary Clinton carried it, after all. It’s not the conservatives who are doing the complaining.

Look at the demographics, not just one election. Otherwise, I can do the same and say that West Virginia is liberal. You are right though its a county, not a city. But the general consensus above was that it's in CA, so it must be a liberal, so I used that same logic and said it is in orange county so it must be conservative.

Aesma

Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:44 am

I wasn't expecting that, it's really not that bad. Our cop cars are white, red and blue, the colors of the French flag (and most French people don't own a flag they could wave).

However the US flag makes it more difficult to actually read the word POLICE, so still a poor design.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Magog

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:34 am

stl07 wrote:
Magog wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Look at the demographics, not just one election. Otherwise, I can do the same and say that West Virginia is liberal. You are right though its a county, not a city. But the general consensus above was that it's in CA, so it must be a liberal, so I used that same logic and said it is in orange county so it must be conservative.

No, the general consensus was that California has its share of whacky liberals, even in areas that also have conservatives. But this story is about Laguna Beach, not an entire county. Laguna Beach is traditionally thought of as liberal, because of its artsy, gay-friendly, hippy traditions - all of which make it a great place to visit IMHO. You are coming across as someone who has never actually been there.

agill

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:56 am

Wouldn't say aggressive, but it does make it look a bit like an ice cream truck.

ChrisKen

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:45 am

seb146 wrote:
Reading through the code and ettiquite for the American flag, two things jump out at me:

The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored so that it might be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.

The flag should not be displayed on a float except from a staff, nor draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of a vehicle
When the flag is displayed on a vehicle, the staff should be fixed firmly to the chassis.

You'll find that applies to an actual flag, not a cartoon 'Police' sticker.
Not sure how that tacky thing arrived on the cars but it's definitely American.

stratclub

Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:23 am

northstardc4m wrote:
Looks typically American flag pride in your face... The US seems to sticks flags on everything.

I was in WalMart and there were these Chinese grills with an American flag on them and a slogan that said Take pride n America or something like that.

cranberrysaus

Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:16 pm

Out of all the legitimate things to complain about when it comes to police, flags on cars seems like an odd one to focus on.

Magog

Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:23 pm

cranberrysaus wrote:
Out of all the legitimate things to complain about when it comes to police, flags on cars seems like an odd one to focus on.

It just shows how good life is for the complainers and just how determined they are to remain complainers.

Faskkeyu

Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:33 am

ChrisKen wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Is there an American logo on the car?Or flag?

seb146

Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:52 am

Faskkeyu wrote:
ChrisKen wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I thought the flag was not to be used as advertising, either.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

P1aneMad

Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:46 am

seb146 wrote:
Faskkeyu wrote:
ChrisKen wrote:

I thought the flag was not to be used as advertising, either.

What product does it advertise?

emperortk

Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:38 am

stratclub wrote:
northstardc4m wrote:

I was in WalMart and there were these Chinese grills with an American flag on them and a slogan that said Take pride n America or something like that.

A gigantic store filled with rednecks looking for good deals, run by a fabulously wealthy corporation that underpays its workers who are in turn subsidized by taxpayers, selling low-quality products manufactured in China but clothed with tacky American jingoism: this truly is the essence of the US.

cpd

Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:37 pm

stratosphere wrote:

How do we know it isn’t just faux outrage from right wingers pretending to be snowflakes?

Looks pretty boring and bland to my eyes. Black and white with a tiny bit of flag on the lettering.

They should see the G30 BMW 530d Police cars we have here in Sydney, those have very vibrant graphics. They would have a fit at those.

This seems a storm in a teacup.

jetblueguy22

Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:16 am

Don't think it is offensive or screams anything. I probably wouldn't have even given it a second look if I saw it on the road.

I have a bigger problem with the fact that every state police vehicle in my state is unmarked, but that's a debate for another day.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Tugger

Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:45 am

cpd wrote:
How do we know it isn’t just faux outrage from right wingers pretending to be snowflakes?

Looks pretty boring and bland to my eyes. Black and white with a tiny bit of flag on the lettering.

They should see the G30 BMW 530d Police cars we have here in Sydney, those have very vibrant graphics. They would have a fit at those.

This is pretty much just right wing snowflakiness, it wasn't in the news (even "right wing" news) for more than a day or so, and the council disregarded the foolishness for what it was and the cars remained as they are. So one person objected, a few others may have agreed and the majority said "What are you talking about?"

As far as I can tell it was very much a non-issue.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Jouhou

Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:58 am

Redd wrote:
It looks a tad redneck(ish) over patriotic, but I don't see anything offensive about it.

It's really sad that rednecks in the US have claimed the flag for their selves. More specifically it's the complete morons who wrap their idiocy in the flag and end up ruining its image.

cpd

Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:28 am

Tugger wrote:
cpd wrote:

This is pretty much just right wing snowflakiness, it wasn't in the news (even "right wing" news) for more than a day or so, and the council disregarded the foolishness for what it was and the cars remained as they are. So one person objected, a few others may have agreed and the majority said "What are you talking about?"

As far as I can tell it was very much a non-issue.

Tugg

Seems like it. I'm sure it was good for a few right wingers to have their little whinge about the left wing.

Look at how aggressive looking this is in comparison:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtxY5xiUwAAemZZ.jpg
https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5D760CA8

Quick, hold the news! :lol: I've been seeing a lot of those recently - not all white, some dark grey, lighter grey. They are pretty damn fast too. :eek: They don't appear to be any slower in real life use than the Chrysler 300 SRT (also a Police car), even though the BMW is a diesel. It's basically a 530d with all the M Performance bits (a lot like the M550i, just without the 4WD and V8)

Ken777

Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:37 am

The problem I see is that the letters are too chopped up and are not that easy for many to read. Plain, large solid letters should be on the side of a police car so it can be seen and understood from a distance.

And the use of the flag for decoration turns me off - sort of like the Yo-Yos in the Tea Party who had to have shirts, pants, hats, etc made from the flag. not Impressed. :vomit:

jonnyclam123

Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:44 am

In my personal opinion it just looks ugly with or without the flag.

NoTime

Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:48 pm

Tacky? Perhaps. "Too aggressive?" Come on people, grow up.

vrbarreto

Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:03 pm

Looks like something from Team America..

mham001

Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:33 pm

cpd wrote:

umm, an inquisitive, intelligent person with those doubts could have simply googled the names in the articles instead of trying to denigrate people he doesn't have a clue about from 5,000 miles away.

Carrie Underwood, local artist

'"Christopher Prelitz" (born 1956) is an author, sustainability consultant, and Founder of Prelitz Design + Build, based in Laguna Beach, Ca.

Author, "'Green Made Easy: The Everyday Guide for Transitioning to a Green Lifestyle was published by Hay House in April 2009. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Prelitz

emperortk wrote:

A gigantic store filled with rednecks looking for good deals, run by a fabulously wealthy corporation that underpays its workers who are in turn subsidized by taxpayers, selling low-quality products manufactured in China but clothed with tacky American jingoism: this truly is the essence of the US.

Feel better now about your superiority?

Truth is, Walmart is actually the best place to find small Made in USA items, but you've probably never done that have you? Nor have you considered all the Walmarts in good "Blue" areas, have you. How many "rednecks" do you think there are in San Jose, for example?

Why don't you just admit that you look down on poorer people who need to stretch their dollars?
Last edited by mham001 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emperortk

Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:02 pm

mham001 wrote:

emperortk wrote:

Feel better now about your superiority?

Truth is, Walmart is actually the best place to find small Made in USA items, but you've probably never done that have you? Nor have you considered all the Walmarts in good "Blue" areas, have you. How many "rednecks" do you think there are in San Jose, for example?

Why don't you just admit that you look down on poorer people who need to stretch their dollars?

Thanks, but instead I'll choose to admit that I'd rather pay people a living wage for performing honest work. I'll choose to admit that I think there is something wrong with a society that thinks it's okay to pay a CEO 300 times or more what the lowest-paid employee makes. I'll choose to admit that I think there is something wrong with a society that thinks it's okay for 10% of the population to own more than 60% of its wealth. I'll choose to admit that I'd rather have a welfare state instead of a corporate-welfare state. At the end of the day, I'd rather help alleviate the need for poor people to stretch their dollars in the first place by addressing systemic problems, inequalities, and misguided and misinformed policies that lie at the heart of the problem.