Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dutchy
Topic Author

Football - Champions League

Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:18 pm

First Real Madrid, now Juventus. What a story this Champions League campaign is turning into for Ajax, who produced another remarkable performance to reach the semi-finals of the competition for the first time since 1997, courtesy of a goal scored by a player who was not even born when they last graced that stage.

Matthijs de Ligt, Ajax’s outstanding 19-year-old captain, ended Cristiano Ronaldo’s hopes of winning a fourth successive Champions League title and a first for Juventus with a towering header that was no more than Ajax deserved after playing with the same confidence, freedom and conviction that eliminated Real Madrid in the last round.

The Guardian

Quite a match, quite a team. Ajax played brilliantly. We have to remember that their annual budget is € 100million, that is a budget the remaining teams pay for a single player.

Truly David against Goliath.

Let's see if Ajax survives another round against Tottenham Hotspur or Manchester City, than most probable FC Barcelona, always the team to beat.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Dutchy
Topic Author

Re: Football - Champions League

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:14 pm

Tottenham Hotspur it is, we'll see if lucky Ajax can beat them to move to the finals.

wingman

Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:14 pm

Incredibly, due to work, I missed the initial 15 minutes and the last 15 minutes of what some are calling the greatest football match ever played. I'm thrilled for Hotspurs though, it's great to see a Korean make his mark on such a huge stage. Tottenham scoring 3 goals away in that atmosphere, very well deserved I'd say. Some might argue the VAR on the stoppage time goal but general consensus (outside of the Etihad) seems to be that it was correct.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:36 am

Time for the first round of the semi-finals.

Tottenham Hotspur - Ajax

Liverpool - FC Barcelona

Just for perspective: this is what is invested in the teams:

Ajax: € 54.550.001
Tottenham Hotspur: € 123.330.000
FC Barcelona: € 318.200.000
Liverpool: € 405.670.000

Quite remarkable difference. So Ajax has been exceptional effective this season. So much for financial fair play. Well scouted and some of their own players.

So Ajax and FC Barcelona will have it tonight (hopefully).

Have fun watching tonight . :box:

PIMountaineer

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:38 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Seeing that I loathe Tottenham even on a good day, I am rooting for Ajax. They can best the boys from North London, but when in form, Tottenham is not to be trifled with. Will they (Spurs) bottle it I wonder? Barcelona could have their hands full with Liverpool. I am feeling as if that match could go either way.

Imagine Ajax actually winning this year. They've come this far.

trpmb6

Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:51 pm

At this point I think most folks are rooting for Ajax as the underdog unless you're loyal to the remainders

Dutchy
Topic Author

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:43 pm

Ajax won, so we will see what the home game brings. Halve way to the finals. 8-)

wingman

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:13 pm

With Son maybe a different outcome with all that 2nd half action inside the Ajax back third for Spurs. It's a remarkable story..and yet neither one of these teams (in my humble opinion) stands a chance against Barca or Liverpool in the final. I don't think Ajax could withstand the attacking brutality of those two for 45 minutes. But man will I be rooting for them if they make it to Madrid. Love that confident keeper of theirs.

CPH-R

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:32 pm

If anything, Vertonghen's incident proved why FIFA/UEFA needs to bring in mandatory substitutions when head injuries are involved. I was at work, so I had to rely on The Guardian's live text coverage, but it sounded like he was cleared by the medical staff to continue playing.

wingman

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:12 pm

A typical moderate to severe concussion, he was fired up on adrenalin and eager to get back on the pitch and then walked himself off after 1-2 minutes and nearly collapsed on the sideline. The TV cut away quickly but last scene the two medical staff had him up by his arms and he was a goner. Pretty scary shit.

zakuivcustom

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:38 pm

Well, Ajax did half of their job.

Now go go Reds, just bc of Jürgen Klopp. (I am a bandwagon BVB fan...so).

PIMountaineer

Wed May 01, 2019 12:47 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Well, Ajax did half of their job.

Now go go Reds, just bc of Jürgen Klopp. (I am a bandwagon BVB fan...so).

Well, you have to both admire and appreciate BVB. I say this as a Bayern fan by the way. I will always have a soft spot for both BVB and Klopp. I am hopeful for a Liverpool victory, though it will be hard fought if so.

Flanker7

Wed May 01, 2019 12:57 pm

wingman wrote:
With Son maybe a different outcome with all that 2nd half action inside the Ajax back third for Spurs. It's a remarkable story..and yet neither one of these teams (in my humble opinion) stands a chance against Barca or Liverpool in the final. I don't think Ajax could withstand the attacking brutality of those two for 45 minutes. But man will I be rooting for them if they make it to Madrid. Love that confident keeper of theirs.

I think they can, take the game to either liverpool or Barca and see how they deal with the pressure. These boy's became man during this tournament and have been under pressure in some games and came out on top. They have the abilitie to football themselves out of pressure situations. A final is a game in itself, anything goes.
Flying blue only if possible

PIMountaineer

Wed May 01, 2019 2:17 pm

Flanker7 wrote:
A final is a game in itself, anything goes.

Indeed it is, and often it does. I worry what comes of this team for next season. How many will be wearing kits from different European clubs I wonder? One is already off to Barca, with another likely off there as well.

Flanker7

Wed May 01, 2019 3:17 pm

PIMountaineer wrote:
Flanker7 wrote:

Indeed it is, and often it does. I worry what comes of this team for next season. How many will be wearing kits from different European clubs I wonder? One is already off to Barca, with another likely off there as well.

Unfortunately quite a few will leave, the competition in the Netherlands is not challenging enough. I would be great if Ajax could keep team together but very unlikely.

PIMountaineer

Wed May 01, 2019 3:26 pm

Flanker7 wrote:

Unfortunately quite a few will leave, the competition in the Netherlands is not challenging enough. I would be great if Ajax could keep team together but very unlikely.

Indeed. It's hard for a team like Ajax to say, no when a European super-club with a seemingly endless amount of cash comes calling. Who else do you think will leave? Dolberg? van de Beek perhaps?

zakuivcustom

Wed May 01, 2019 3:57 pm

PIMountaineer wrote:
Flanker7 wrote:

Indeed. It's hard for a team like Ajax to say, no when a European super-club with a seemingly endless amount of cash comes calling. Who else do you think will leave? Dolberg? van de Beek perhaps?

Erik ten Hag perhaps? He may get poached by a larger club (Bayern being the latest rumor).

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed May 01, 2019 4:20 pm

Flanker7 wrote:
PIMountaineer wrote:
Flanker7 wrote:

Sure, that is indeed the problem of the Netherlands, most will leave for a bigger club. For a player, though, it might not be ideal. Do you want to be a sitting on a bench at a top club, high paying or do you want to hone your skills some more with playing time. The Ajax players are quite young, they need play-time to get better.

Flanker7

Wed May 01, 2019 4:24 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
PIMountaineer wrote:
Flanker7 wrote:

Erik ten Hag perhaps? He may get poached by a larger club (Bayern being the latest rumor).

Van Beek could go, de Ligt will go Tagliafico is also an option and Neres is an option. Ten Hag not so sure, perhaps next year is he is again successful.

PIMountaineer

Wed May 01, 2019 4:30 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:

I would certainly add him to my shortlist as well. I too have been hearing the Bayern link.

PIMountaineer

Wed May 01, 2019 4:58 pm

Flanker7 wrote:
Van Beek could go,

Which club do you feel would best suit him?

Dutchy wrote:

Sure, that is indeed the problem of the Netherlands, most will leave for a bigger club. For a player, though, it might not be ideal. Do you want to be a sitting on a bench at a top club, high paying or do you want to hone your skills some more with playing time. The Ajax players are quite young, they need play-time to get better.

This is a wise comment and one with which I can agree. I would much rather be playing week in and week out than riding the bench, but not everyone will see it that way.

Flanker7

Wed May 01, 2019 5:02 pm

I sure hope some will stay, but as always they have agents who will push to move and money talks.

PIMountaineer

Wed May 01, 2019 5:39 pm

Flanker7 wrote:
I sure hope some will stay, but as always they have agents who will push to move and money talks.

Agents - Money - Young & Talented Footballer

A perfect recipe for a big payday. It's always been an issue at Ajax and AS Monaco as well. They, of course, are not alone.

Flanker7

Wed May 01, 2019 6:12 pm

They are not, but it's a shame the sport turned this way. Let's just enjoy the moment and see if they make it to the final.

PIMountaineer

Wed May 01, 2019 6:42 pm

Flanker7 wrote:
They are not, but it's a shame the sport turned this way. Let's just enjoy the moment and see if they make it to the final.

I sure am hoping they reach the final. Even if you are Dutch and not an Ajax fan, you still have to recognize the benefit of Ajax in the final and what that means for all of the Eredivisie.

I wonder how many Americans such as myself have a clue what the Eredivisie is? :D I've been an Ajax fan for forty years. I know a good thing when I see it.

Flanker7

Wed May 01, 2019 7:08 pm

I am actually not a football fan at all let alone a Ajax fan but do admire what they achieved and what it means to the game. Rugby is my game, big All Blacks fan.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed May 01, 2019 7:26 pm

PIMountaineer wrote:
I've been an Ajax fan for forty years. I know a good thing when I see it.

:checkmark: some ups and down though the years :D

More a PSV fan myself, but Ajax reaching the semi-finals en might even win it in the end, is good for Dutch competition, we get more places in the CL the coming years. And it is good for the national team that these players get some value playing time against top teams.

jetwet1

Wed May 01, 2019 8:08 pm

As a Spurs fan, I could have predicted that outcome, they have just taken to many injuries this year (half the team is playing injured) and didn't spend the money last year to flesh out the ranks.

With that said, though Spurs form in the Premier has been, well shockingly inconsistent in 2019, they seem to be able to show up for the Champions league (very strange I know), but honestly, even with that said, at this point I would not be shocked to see Ajax go through and at that point, I am a Ajax fan, what they have done this season has been great to watch.

PIMountaineer

Wed May 01, 2019 8:44 pm

Dutchy wrote:
PIMountaineer wrote:
I've been an Ajax fan for forty years. I know a good thing when I see it.

:checkmark: some ups and down though the years :D

More a PSV fan myself, but Ajax reaching the semi-finals en might even win it in the end, is good for Dutch competition, we get more places in the CL the coming years. And it is good for the national team that these players get some value playing time against top teams.

Indeed. I say a true fan sticks with their team through it all, good and bad. You've summed things up quite well yet again. Going this far in the CL is a win for all of Dutch football. It's terrible to know that Hirving Lozano is injured. I wish him a speedy recovery for both himself and PSV.

Flanker7

Wed May 01, 2019 8:47 pm

Liverpool getting a beating 3-0

PIMountaineer

Wed May 01, 2019 8:49 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
As a Spurs fan, I could have predicted that outcome, they have just taken to many injuries this year (half the team is playing injured) and didn't spend the money last year to flesh out the ranks.

With that said, though Spurs form in the Premier has been, well shockingly inconsistent in 2019, they seem to be able to show up for the Champions league (very strange I know), but honestly, even with that said, at this point I would not be shocked to see Ajax go through and at that point, I am a Ajax fan, what they have done this season has been great to watch.

You mentioned being a Spurs fan. May I ask you, as a Spurs fan, what do you think it will take to win the PL? There is no denying the talent is there. Everyone must acknowledge that, even if you are not a Spurs fan such as myself.

You are correct, spend some money already. The injuries aren't helping one bit either. Is it also time for a change in management? I would appreciate hearing your viewpoint.

PIMountaineer

Wed May 01, 2019 8:51 pm

Flanker7 wrote:
Liverpool getting a beating 3-0

Ouch indeed.

airkas1

Wed May 01, 2019 8:53 pm

That free kick from Messi was unreal. :eyepopping:

Flanker7

Wed May 01, 2019 8:58 pm

I cannot see Liverpool going to overcome this.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed May 01, 2019 9:05 pm

stranger things have happened, but normally Barca will be a finalist.

zakuivcustom

Wed May 01, 2019 9:08 pm

Man...Liverpool got whooped.

It ain't over until it's over, but it won't be easy to overcome a 3 goals deficit.

jetwet1 wrote:

B/c seemingly nobody wants to finish 3rd...or 4th? That include Perennial 4th place trophy holder Arsenal, of course. :duck: :duck:

PIMountaineer

Thu May 02, 2019 12:54 am

airkas1 wrote:
That free kick from Messi was unreal. :eyepopping:

Indeed. He is a magician.

zakuivcustom wrote:

B/c seemingly nobody wants to finish 3rd...or 4th? That include Perennial 4th place trophy holder Arsenal, of course. :duck: :duck:

As an Arsenal fan, I can confirm that you are indeed correct. We really need to move some folks on. Bringing in a defender or twelve might help too. I will, however, remain loyal even in times such as this.

wingman

Thu May 02, 2019 7:25 pm

Brexit comes to Champion's League. These teams are better off in the PL anyway, where the real temples of football are. Tell you what, Messi is his own frigging temple and he shut the doors himself. How many times he's done that to my Madrid I can't even remember. He's the King of all time.

I had to listen some whingeing English broadcaster on Sirius today call Messi a diver. What a joke, the guy is more like a human pinball bouncing off one defender to the next dribbling his way into the box. If there's one thing that guy isn't, it's a diver.

zakuivcustom

Thu May 02, 2019 8:28 pm

PIMountaineer wrote:
As an Arsenal fan, I can confirm that you are indeed correct. We really need to move some folks on. Bringing in a defender or twelve might help too. I will, however, remain loyal even in times such as this.

Meh...maybe Arsenal decided that it's just easier to win something at Europa League instead of getting dumped out of UCL by Bayern every single year. :duck: :duck: (They're up 2-1 against Valencia as I'm typing this).

PIMountaineer

Thu May 02, 2019 11:10 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:

Meh...maybe Arsenal decided that it's just easier to win something at Europa League instead of getting dumped out of UCL by Bayern every single year. :duck: :duck: (They're up 2-1 against Valencia as I'm typing this).

Oh, indeed. I love Bayern as much as I do Arsenal, so that is always a conflicting match or two for me. A 3-1 win over Valencia, with one foot in the final. So, they will likely do something typically Arsenal I am afraid. If they can win the second leg, Arsenal can pull this off . . . If they stay in form. I stress the if.

wingman wrote:
Brexit comes to Champion's League. These teams are better off in the PL anyway, where the real temples of football are. Tell you what, Messi is his own frigging temple and he shut the doors himself. How many times he's done that to my Madrid I can't even remember. He's the King of all time.

I had to listen some whingeing English broadcaster on Sirius today call Messi a diver. What a joke, the guy is more like a human pinball bouncing off one defender to the next dribbling his way into the box. If there's one thing that guy isn't, it's a diver.

Oh, there is always one isn't there? Messi is many things, a diver is not one of them in my opinion. I agree with you here.

Flanker7

Fri May 03, 2019 2:37 pm

Tagliafigo signed a new contract today so he stays.

PIMountaineer

Fri May 03, 2019 7:21 pm

Flanker7 wrote:

This is a spot of good news. I must have missed the press release somehow. Thank you for letting the rest of us know.

Dutchy
Topic Author

Fri May 03, 2019 7:26 pm

Flanker7 wrote:

That's good news indeed, but still he could leave.

jetwet1

Sat May 04, 2019 7:19 am

PIMountaineer wrote:

You mentioned being a Spurs fan. May I ask you, as a Spurs fan, what do you think it will take to win the PL? There is no denying the talent is there. Everyone must acknowledge that, even if you are not a Spurs fan such as myself.

You are correct, spend some money already. The injuries aren't helping one bit either. Is it also time for a change in management? I would appreciate hearing your viewpoint.

I guess I should clarify my comments a little by acknowledging that Levy had already come out and said that with the new stadium under construction there really wasn't the money available, now with the new stadium open there "may" be.

However, you have to wonder how much Kane, Ali etc are going to want in raises on their next contracts.

With all that said, Goalkeeper is obviously not an issue, the defense is pretty solid, for me it's the mid field that need someone, Eriksen has moments where he can take over a game, but for the other 88 minutes he is just there. Get someone who can open up the field for Kane + "insert player here" and I would be happier.

As far a management, the only thing I would change if I could is Poche's love of looking at the field, seeing 10 opponents camped out in the center of the field and telling Spurs to attack down the middle, I wouldn't even like to guess how many times I have yelled at the TV "get it to the wings" this year.

zakuivcustom wrote:

No need to duck, you are correct, with Spurs losing to West Ham the week was set up for Spurs to drop a couple of places, then every other team decided to not show up as well, truly a strange week.

Back on topic, well Liverpool decided to not show up, I can't see them coming back from 3-0 down.

PIMountaineer

Sat May 04, 2019 1:02 pm

@ jetwet1:

I can't see Liverpool coming back from this either. Can you come back from 3-0 down in the CL? Absolutely! Can you do so against Barca and Messi? Good bloody luck, mates! Watching Messi play — the man is a godly I tell you.

Your views concerning Spurs are appreciated. I think you've summed the situation up nicely. Perhaps they can snag a player or two from Ajax for next season? :D They won't go cheap though, will they?

The forwards at Spurs are most certainly going to want more in weekly wages, and deservedly so I would say. Just look at what they earn compared to benchwarmer Alexis at United. Will they get it I wonder? I also have to wonder if one or two might be moving on at the end of the season?

Flanker7

Sat May 04, 2019 4:23 pm

PIMountaineer wrote:
@ jetwet1:

I can't see Liverpool coming back from this either. Can you come back from 3-0 down in the CL? Absolutely! Can you do so against Barca and Messi? Good bloody luck, mates! Watching Messi play — the man is a godly I tell you.

Your views concerning Spurs are appreciated. I think you've summed the situation up nicely. Perhaps they can snag a player or two from Ajax for next season? :D They won't go cheap though, will they?

The forwards at Spurs are most certainly going to want more in weekly wages, and deservedly so I would say. Just look at what they earn compared to benchwarmer Alexis at United. Will they get it I wonder? I also have to wonder if one or two might be moving on at the end of the season?

No touching the Ajax players, stay away

MrHMSH

Sun May 05, 2019 4:10 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Tottenham Hotspur - Ajax

Liverpool - FC Barcelona

Quite remarkable difference. So Ajax has been exceptional effective this season. So much for financial fair play. Well scouted and some of their own players.

You sure about those Barcelona figures? Suarez, Coutinho and Dembele alone cost €372m!

Dutchy
Topic Author

Sun May 05, 2019 5:24 pm

MrHMSH wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Tottenham Hotspur - Ajax

Liverpool - FC Barcelona

You sure about those Barcelona figures? Suarez, Coutinho and Dembele alone cost €372m!

Was a statistic quoted in Dutch press. Didn't check it myself. But the point was that Ajax has invested a very small amount in their team in respect to the other semi-finalist.

If you are interested in this, I found a report by Deloitte.

jetwet1

Sun May 05, 2019 7:00 pm

Well Spurs (thanks to Brighton and Huddersfield more than themselves) are safely in the Championship next year if I am reading everything correctly (please feel free to correct me, jetlag is kicking my butt).

Yes, Spurs will have to step up and pay the players they have what they are worth, Kane, Ali and Son should be getting nice raises, I think Erickson is gone IMHO, and, as I mentioned above, for the 5 minutes a game he shows up, i'm okay with that, though I do think he has been carrying an injury for most of the season.

Yes, if they want to go to the next level, they need a major signing or two this off season, someone in the middle, someone up front. I just really have not had the time to look to see who may be available.

Flanker7

Tue May 07, 2019 6:32 pm

Will Barca close the book on liverpool today? Prediction...