TWA772LR
Topic Author

Mountain Biking

Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:43 pm

Since moving to Colorado last year, I picked up mountain biking. I love the invigorating feeling after a good work out as well as pushing the envelope on the downhills.

I rode my bike today on some trails I normally do my biking workout on for the first time this year and I am exhausted! The combination of being out of biking shape, packed trails with families and dogs for Easter, and the long stoplight wait meant I did my 8.3 mile loop in 45 minutes.

Nonetheless I feel good that I got out and enjoyed the Easter morning sunshine and got back in the saddle, uh... I guess bike seat, again after a long winter!

Are there any bikers on a.net? Where do you like to ride?

Lastly, Happy Easter!
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

A3801000

Re: Mountain Biking

Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:54 pm

Twice a year in Provence/France, near Mont Ventoux, but really just to get to the next pub after a lovey ride.

KentB27

Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:11 pm

I live in Kansas City and unfortunately KC leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to mountain biking. I mean, for starters there are no mountains here. Lol. So I have a road bike instead. We have an amazing network of paved walking and biking trails in KC that allow you to completely avoid sharing the road with cars which I love because I don't trust the drivers here. They can barely pay attention to their own driving, let alone cyclists.

In Colorado, I hear that the Grand Junction area is very highly regarded for mountain biking. I need to check that out someday as I love that part of Colorado.

I also had a good experience mountain biking at Brianhead in Utah.

cpd

Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:02 pm

France, Alps. My avatar is Galibier. Also like the Dolomites, mainly because the accomodation is a bit better there. The hills are steeper though and the downhill bits are extremely fast, easily 90km/h plus.

Innsbruck is great too. I’ve ridden the Road world championships 2018 course already before the pros did it. Very nice course.

However I live on the other side of the world so trips over to Europe feel like major expeditions.

Chaostheory

Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:30 pm

Both of my bicycles are single speed with one being a bit of a hybrid road/mountain bike with a single/fixie arrangement and the other is an old fashioned road bike. I'll probably leave my older bike in Jeddah when I move back to the UK.

I do intend on upgrading sometime this year. As much fun as they are, you tend to spin out very quickly with single speeds and they're torture for my old legs on hill climbs.

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:30 pm

KentB27 wrote:
I live in Kansas City and unfortunately KC leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to mountain biking. I mean, for starters there are no mountains here. Lol. So I have a road bike instead. We have an amazing network of paved walking and biking trails in KC that allow you to completely avoid sharing the road with cars which I love because I don't trust the drivers here. They can barely pay attention to their own driving, let alone cyclists.

In Colorado, I hear that the Grand Junction area is very highly regarded for mountain biking. I need to check that out someday as I love that part of Colorado.

I also had a good experience mountain biking at Brianhead in Utah.

Im hoping to buy a new car soon so i can venture out to different areas of Colorado. My dad has been to more places around Denver and he said Centennial Cone is spectacular.
Chaostheory wrote:
Both of my bicycles are single speed with one being a bit of a hybrid road/mountain bike with a single/fixie arrangement and the other is an old fashioned road bike. I'll probably leave my older bike in Jeddah when I move back to the UK.

I do intend on upgrading sometime this year. As much fun as they are, you tend to spin out very quickly with single speeds and they're torture for my old legs on hill climbs.

I first had a 20 year old used Gary Fisher 24 speed when I moved here that I bought at a used bike shop. I bought my uncles 1 year old 18 speed Giant off of him for $1000 and I love it, but the Gary feels faster (probably because it had a flame paint job lol). My dad actually bought new sprockets and tires for the Gary so it's our spare bike for visitors.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.