Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jetty

Re: Who will be running for the next UK prime minister?

Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:10 pm

scbriml wrote:
Amiga500 wrote:
The king of the f**kwits has now took leadership of the house of f**kwits.

No, the circus that is the Tory party has elected the chief clown.

Would you seriously argue that the Labour party isn't full of clowns? Just yesterday a guy was convicted of wholly making up a pedophile network about which Labour no 2. Tom Watson claimed in Parliament that he had seen 'clear intelligence suggesting a powerful pedophile network linked to Parliament and No 10.' This while Pakistani Labour MP Nas Shah finds that victims of actual sexual abuse by Pakistani men should shut shut up for the sake of diversity. :banghead:

scbriml

Re: Will Theresa May be re-elected as the UK prime minister?

Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:39 pm

Boeing74741R wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
And now this threat is current again: "Who will be running for the next UK prime minister?"

They probably need one before Halloween....

best regards
Thomas

It wouldn't surprise me.

Not only is Johnson immediately up against ministers resigning with more to follow over his stance of going for no deal if it means the UK leaves the EU on 31st October (Hammond said over the weekend he will resign as Chancellor after May's last PMQ's if Johnson was elected leader to fight this), there's also the big dose of reality that will come his way soon when the EU reiterate (again) the WA isn't going to be re-opened in the face of no viable alternatives to address the Irish border backstop that MP's have an issue with. Not to mention the possibility of a no-confidence vote in Parliament and attempts that will be forthcoming to stop no deal.

Meanwhile,Labour are no closer towards demonstrating they are a credible government-in-waiting.

No, no, no... Boris has it all under control! Once the EU sees he's PM, they'll immediately reopen negotiations and conclude a deal that's great for the UK before the end of October. No problem.

Rainbows and unicorns are on order from Amazon with express delivery.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

zkojq

Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:28 pm

Boeing74741R wrote:
there's also the big dose of reality that will come his way soon when the EU reiterate (again) the WA isn't going to be re-opened in the face of no viable alternatives to address the Irish border backstop that MP's have an issue with.

I was listening to a certain radio show during the announcement and it was hilarious to see all the Boris stooges (including Leadsom) calling in to tell everyone how the EU is apparently showing real willingness to open up negotiations. :rotfl:

Boeing74741R wrote:
Meanwhile,Labour are no closer towards demonstrating they are a credible government-in-waiting.

It's a real shame. The goal has been left wide open for years but still labour haven't been able to score anything.

Amiga500 wrote:
Ah, so place your bets on an independent Scotland and a United Ireland within 2 years.

I really hope that Boris' election is a big help to the Scottish independence movement.
First to fly the 787-9

scbriml

Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:49 pm

Jetty wrote:
Would you seriously argue that the Labour party isn't full of clowns?

No, they're just as dysfunctional as the Tories, but they do a better job at hiding it. Get them in a situation where they have a sniff of getting into power and watch them implode.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

wingman

Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:33 pm

OMG! Can I wait for the first Trump-BoJo Summit? I don’t think I can! It’s going to be the most bonkers meeting between two heads of state maybe in all of history. I wager it’s the greatest single fountain of pure comedic material ever conceived. We are witnessing history people..OMG X 10!!!

tommy1808

Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:11 pm

wingman wrote:
OMG! Can I wait for the first Trump-BoJo Summit? I don’t think I can! It’s going to be the most bonkers meeting between two heads of state maybe in all of history. I wager it’s the greatest single fountain of pure comedic material ever conceived. We are witnessing history people..OMG X 10!!!

Just use SOMG - Super oh my god. Has gotten handy in the last couple of years....

I think they would do an excellent job in complementing each other while reinforcing the others believe.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

mham001

Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:47 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
wingman wrote:

Just use SOMG - Super oh my god. Has gotten handy in the last couple of years....

I didn't know 10 year olds around the world had picked up that phrase.

Dogman

Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:49 pm

Well, as much as I share the skepticism of the most people here, it was predicted that Trump will never finish his first term. Now they are talking about who can defeat him in 2020. It could be the same story with BoJo.

Dano1977

Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:06 pm

Boris as Prime Minister...

I initially laughed then I thought about it and realised that like it or not Boris is absolute gold dust around the world! He's the most recognised British politician in the world and even more than that has a higher profile than most of the worlds leaders. He's either going to completely screw it up or play a blinder - there's never a middle ground with Boris!
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

DarkSnowyNight

Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:09 pm

wingman wrote:
OMG! Can I wait for the first Trump-BoJo Summit? I don’t think I can! It’s going to be the most bonkers meeting between two heads of state maybe in all of history.

Reasonably sure it will look exactly like this. . .
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

wingman

Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:28 pm

Tell you what, if Trump convinces BoJo to land in the Rose Garden in that Brexit parachute I’ll vote for him in 2020. A lifetime of pee pee-level laughs would be just reciprocity.

Boeing74741R

Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:47 am

zkojq wrote:
I was listening to a certain radio show during the announcement and it was hilarious to see all the Boris stooges (including Leadsom) calling in to tell everyone how the EU is apparently showing real willingness to open up negotiations. :rotfl:

I was equally baffled by IDS's claim on Marr about alternative arrangements and he came on immediately after Simon Coveney who had basically said the opposite. :confused:

zkojq wrote:
It's a real shame. The goal has been left wide open for years but still labour haven't been able to score anything.

I have never really been a natural Labour voter, but I do believe an efficient democracy needs a credible Opposition and, as you say, they have failed miserably. That's before we get to their own internal problems such as divisions over Brexit, antisemitism and the feeling that not all of their MP's are truly behind Corbyn.

zkojq wrote:
I really hope that Boris' election is a big help to the Scottish independence movement.

I wouldn't be so sure. Support for Scottish independence has dwindled since the referendum 5 years ago and the SNP who are the main advocates for independence have yet to demonstrate how Scotland will be better off outside the UK let alone provide answers to the questions they didn't fully answer first time round. Advocating EU membership and being rid of the Tories (who became the biggest Opposition party in the Scottish Parliament elections 3 years ago on a pro-union ticket and are running a minority government so are not that unpopular nowadays) won't go far enough, otherwise one would have expected support for independence to have surged since 2016.

TSS

Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:43 pm

Boeing74741R wrote:
zkojq wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure. Support for Scottish independence has dwindled since the referendum 5 years ago and the SNP who are the main advocates for independence have yet to demonstrate how Scotland will be better off outside the UK let alone provide answers to the questions they didn't fully answer first time round. Advocating EU membership and being rid of the Tories (who became the biggest Opposition party in the Scottish Parliament elections 3 years ago on a pro-union ticket and are running a minority government so are not that unpopular nowadays) won't go far enough, otherwise one would have expected support for independence to have surged since 2016.

They should have held another referendum right after the announcement that Barr's would be forced to change the recipe for the Scottish national drink, Irn-Bru. Scottish Independence would have been approved by a wide margin. "YOU MAY TAKE OUR LIVES, BUT YOU'LL NEVER TAKE OUR SUGAR CONTENT!!!"
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

olle

Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:07 pm

There is talk about general election.

The majority Tory+dup in parliament getting smaller for each week it seems.

What is it down to? 2-3 MPs?

Aesma

Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:44 pm

Personally I think there is no majority. A vote of confidence should have been called before BoJo was allowed to go see the Queen.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

SQ22

Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:47 am

Now that Boris Johnson became the next UK Prime Minister thread will be locked.