Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WarRI1
Topic Author

CEO percentage increases compared to ours.

Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:33 am

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/22/heres-h ... years.html

Read it and weep. Just a tad out of wack compared to the average wage earner. Of course some like to defend the system, so enjoy the disparity. I myself do not. 937 % to 11.2 % , such a deal.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Aaron747

Re: CEO percentage increases compared to ours.

Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:15 am

This is what WH means by ‘greatest economy ever’ maybe? Lots for people like him, shit for everyone else. According to Bureau of Labor Statistics 1Q 2019 report, real wage growth has flatlined for 12 months, so we’re still making zero progress there. Real wage growth has charted below GDP growth since the early 1970s.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

WarRI1
Topic Author

Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:52 am

Aaron747 wrote:
This is what WH means by ‘greatest economy ever’ maybe? Lots for people like him, shit for everyone else. According to Bureau of Labor Statistics 1Q 2019 report, real wage growth has flatlined for 12 months, so we’re still making zero progress there. Real wage growth has charted below GDP growth since the early 1970s.

I agree, I call his supporters Chumps. they get screwed and lied to and the wealthy get more and more of the take, and these guys on here love it. Go figure! I always have had a dislike of getting screwed over. I guess we can call them trumps chumps, he of his golden room sure has their number. I always love how the screweees stay silent. I guess if you ignore it, it makes it more palatable for them.

apodino

Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:49 am

This is a real problem, but I am not sure what the solution is. If you try to legislate the problem then businesses will incorporate overseas to get around the issue. Regulating the problem isn't going to solve it because then the small businesses who don't have the resources to compete against big corporations will not survive or will sell themselves out to said corporations. See Wal-Mart or Amazon for examples of this.

The one thing I think could help this issue is for more employee representation on the Board of Directors. Employees are much more loyal to companies long term than people at the top who only care about the next quarters earnings.

This issue isn't even a Democratic or a Republican issue either as this has pretty much happened no matter who is president and then both political parties reward these guys. In fact a lot of these CEOs have a way of finding a way into political office. The Democratic Governor of New Jersey, Phil Murphy, is one of these people. I don't understand how the democratic party even nominated such a guy after he was guilty of doing the very things as Goldman Sachs CEO that they campaign against. Other names who are just as guilty as Murphy would be former NJ Gov Jon Corzine, FL Sen Rick Scott, Mitt Romney, former WI senator Herb Kohl, and former NY Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

What really needs to happen is a president needs to get these people in a room and tell them that not paying workers is going to tank the economy, and then call out individual names publicly. It will never happen with campaign donations being so sought.

In a perfect world Unions would actually work for the people they represent and this would help the problem. However when Unions become dictatorships and ignore the will of their own people, which happens a lot these days, they also lose the ability to help the situation.

One thing is for sure, Trump didn't create this problem as this was happening long before he took office.

trpmb6

Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:39 pm

Anyone care to address the impact immigration has on the lowest tiers of wage earners vs those on top?

Apodino, do you have a source for employees being more loyal to companies long term than the people up top? I'm not sure how loyalty really factors into wage growth anyways. If anything, turnover in the job market can help wage growth as employees seek other opportunities at companies willing to compete for their services. I've often heard the mantra that if you aren't changing jobs every 5 years you're selling yourself short. The only true thing incentivises a company to pay employees more is the threat that they may take their skills somewhere else. And without pensions anymore there is nothing really holding you down to a company such that you are willing to accept depressed wages for guaranteed retirement benefits. 401ks go with you wherever you go.

It's not clear to me what's causing the rise in CEO salaries at the top. But what is clear to me is that immigration is what is suppressing wages at the bottom. Perhaps CEO wages are rising because we have more large corporations with diversified holdings where in the past these holdings would have had their own CEOs thus leveling the pyramid so to speak. Instead of multiple CEOs spreadout over say 10 companies, you now have 1 CEO over 1 company with 10 holdings and you have 10 VPs acting as a "CEO" for those holding companies reporting to a single CEO. Again, just a thought, I really don't know in that regard (and obviously does not apply to say Walmart - though could apply to say Boeing, Apple, Google, Microsoft who have all acquired organizations over time and vertically integrated them into their company and product lines or simply bought them out to get them out of their way).

Redd

Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:01 pm

apodino wrote:
This is a real problem, but I am not sure what the solution is. If you try to legislate the problem then businesses will incorporate overseas to get around the issue. Regulating the problem isn't going to solve it because then the small businesses who don't have the resources to compete against big corporations will not survive or will sell themselves out to said corporations. See Wal-Mart or Amazon for examples of this.

SImple solution. Add one more regulation stipulating if you move your business to a tax haven and to get cheap labor you're forbidden to do business at home.. Job done.

apodino

Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:00 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Anyone care to address the impact immigration has on the lowest tiers of wage earners vs those on top?

Apodino, do you have a source for employees being more loyal to companies long term than the people up top? I'm not sure how loyalty really factors into wage growth anyways. If anything, turnover in the job market can help wage growth as employees seek other opportunities at companies willing to compete for their services. I've often heard the mantra that if you aren't changing jobs every 5 years you're selling yourself short. The only true thing incentivises a company to pay employees more is the threat that they may take their skills somewhere else. And without pensions anymore there is nothing really holding you down to a company such that you are willing to accept depressed wages for guaranteed retirement benefits. 401ks go with you wherever you go.

I may be a bit biased since I work in the Airline industry where employees stay with the same company for 20-30 years. The point I was trying to make is that a front line employee is going to care more about things that help the business long term like how can they best serve the customer, etc. The CEO is going to care what the next quarters profit margin is. This requires them to sacrifice all the things in the business that would be better long term. The result is it has a long term negative effect on those employees. In a lot of cases they can go elsewhere, but in a lot of cases that means pay cuts and starting at the bottom again too. All while the CEO reaps in the benefits. For many years United Airlines suffered because of this mentality. Eventually the CEO was finally ousted, but took a golden parachute with him and leaving a mess for Oscar Munoz to clean up.

It's not clear to me what's causing the rise in CEO salaries at the top. But what is clear to me is that immigration is what is suppressing wages at the bottom. Perhaps CEO wages are rising because we have more large corporations with diversified holdings where in the past these holdings would have had their own CEOs thus leveling the pyramid so to speak. Instead of multiple CEOs spreadout over say 10 companies, you now have 1 CEO over 1 company with 10 holdings and you have 10 VPs acting as a "CEO" for those holding companies reporting to a single CEO. Again, just a thought, I really don't know in that regard (and obviously does not apply to say Walmart - though could apply to say Boeing, Apple, Google, Microsoft who have all acquired organizations over time and vertically integrated them into their company and product lines or simply bought them out to get them out of their way).

This is an excellent post. Immigration has been debated to death in congress with very little action by either party. I get the democrats wanting to help a lot of these people out, but wage depression is exactly what happens with this. The Koch Brothers have been spending millions to push amnesty for this very reason, which is why most conservatives are fed up with them. Another big problem is with H-1B visa abuse. Disney is the poster child for this. Disney employed a bunch of American tech workers. They got to be costly, so to solve the problem they turned to the federal government and had them approve a bunch of H1-B visas to people that Disney intended to replace the American workers. Then Disney told the American workers they would be laid off, and also made the American workers train their replacements. I might add this was all approved by the Obama administration. This is not talked about enough for many reasons. The conservatives don't want to talk about it because Mitch McConnell is addicted to their campaign donations. The democrats don't talk about it because it would be viewed as racist by their base which in a lot of ways wants to do away with citizenship altogether.

One last thing. For a lot of the corporations employing undocumented workers which keep wages down. If there was seriousness about this issue, the Attorney General could start prosecuting these firms not on Immigration violations, but on violations of labor laws including not paying minimum wage. Which is exactly why this issue isn't solved. Republicans don't believe in these regulations in the first place, and the Democrats know that the undocumented workers would be out of work if these companies were prosecuted.

trpmb6

Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:33 pm

apodino wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

I may be a bit biased since I work in the Airline industry where employees stay with the same company for 20-30 years. The point I was trying to make is that a front line employee is going to care more about things that help the business long term like how can they best serve the customer, etc. The CEO is going to care what the next quarters profit margin is. This requires them to sacrifice all the things in the business that would be better long term. The result is it has a long term negative effect on those employees. In a lot of cases they can go elsewhere, but in a lot of cases that means pay cuts and starting at the bottom again too. All while the CEO reaps in the benefits. For many years United Airlines suffered because of this mentality. Eventually the CEO was finally ousted, but took a golden parachute with him and leaving a mess for Oscar Munoz to clean up.

This is an excellent post. Immigration has been debated to death in congress with very little action by either party. I get the democrats wanting to help a lot of these people out, but wage depression is exactly what happens with this. The Koch Brothers have been spending millions to push amnesty for this very reason, which is why most conservatives are fed up with them. Another big problem is with H-1B visa abuse. Disney is the poster child for this. Disney employed a bunch of American tech workers. They got to be costly, so to solve the problem they turned to the federal government and had them approve a bunch of H1-B visas to people that Disney intended to replace the American workers. Then Disney told the American workers they would be laid off, and also made the American workers train their replacements. I might add this was all approved by the Obama administration. This is not talked about enough for many reasons. The conservatives don't want to talk about it because Mitch McConnell is addicted to their campaign donations. The democrats don't talk about it because it would be viewed as racist by their base which in a lot of ways wants to do away with citizenship altogether.

One last thing. For a lot of the corporations employing undocumented workers which keep wages down. If there was seriousness about this issue, the Attorney General could start prosecuting these firms not on Immigration violations, but on violations of labor laws including not paying minimum wage. Which is exactly why this issue isn't solved. Republicans don't believe in these regulations in the first place, and the Democrats know that the undocumented workers would be out of work if these companies were prosecuted.

Excellent, excellent post Apodino, I couldn't have articulated it better. I agree and thanks for your anecdotal experience about the airline industry. It's difficult sometimes for me to look out and understand how some other industries may treat turnover in the workforce because of how my own experiences have gone (where as I said in my previous post, if you don't leave you're probably leaving some money on the table).

I'll have to do more research into what might be causing CEO wages to rise like they are. I will say, and forgive me for not having the source (actually it may be linked in the Bezos divorce thread) that even Bezos isn't considered the wealthiest human ever. Several american's in the past have surpassed Bezos' net worth if you account for inflation. Think Andrew Carnegie and others. (Of course that doesn't mean anything in the total distribution of CEO wages - just an anecdote.)

c933103

Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:37 pm

It is much easier to replace average wage earner with machines and outsourcing. No policy is going to fix this imbalance other than certain degree of redistribution of wage, so that people who earn money from utilizing outsourced labor and machines can help support others that don't.
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate.
Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!

trpmb6

Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:20 pm

c933103 wrote:
It is much easier to replace average wage earner with machines and outsourcing. No policy is going to fix this imbalance other than certain degree of redistribution of wage, so that people who earn money from utilizing outsourced labor and machines can help support others that don't.

So what happened to all the workers displaced by John Deere Combine's and other agricultural machinery? They were absorbed by other industries and food became cheaper and more available. What happened to all the workers who were in the textile industries before those jobs were exported to the south, China and now south east asia? Market adjusts.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:05 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/22/heres-how-much-ceo-pay-has-increased-compared-to-yours-over-the-years.html

Read it and weep. Just a tad out of wack compared to the average wage earner. Of course some like to defend the system, so enjoy the disparity. I myself do not. 937 % to 11.2 % , such a deal.

Please provide evidence that one BOD, one CEO put a gun to anyone’s head and stole the money. The business owners approved the pay, on good evidence or total BS, it wasn’t taken from anyone’s pocket.

The money is tainted, it t’ain’t yours and it t’ain’t mine.

GF

c933103

Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:20 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
c933103 wrote:

So what happened to all the workers displaced by John Deere Combine's and other agricultural machinery? They were absorbed by other industries and food became cheaper and more available. What happened to all the workers who were in the textile industries before those jobs were exported to the south, China and now south east asia? Market adjusts.

Back then it was still easy for unskilled worker to shift into other less skilled job. But nowadays automation and outsourcing affect pretty much all industry other than knowledge-based position and management position that I don't think the scale can be compared.

Aaron747

Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:51 pm

c933103 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
c933103 wrote:

Back then it was still easy for unskilled worker to shift into other less skilled job. But nowadays automation and outsourcing affect pretty much all industry other than knowledge-based position and management position that I don't think the scale can be compared.

People love to reference the past and industrial revolution forgetting there are now 1.2 billion people in the ‘developed’ world and 7.4 billion in total, all competing for resources. In the grander scheme, being overbred as a species is also causing these disparities to widen.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

c933103

Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:08 am

Aaron747 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

People love to reference the past and industrial revolution forgetting there are now 1.2 billion people in the ‘developed’ world and 7.4 billion in total, all competing for resources. In the grander scheme, being overbred as a species is also causing these disparities to widen.

I would argue that the population bomb is partially counterbalanced by greater access to worldwide resources that come with technological advance, although it seems like we are also reaching the limit as to how much more resource we can exploit to support the world population and that many Chinese and Indian residents are also becoming/will become your typical residents in developed countries.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:02 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/22/heres-how-much-ceo-pay-has-increased-compared-to-yours-over-the-years.html

Please provide evidence that one BOD, one CEO put a gun to anyone’s head and stole the money. The business owners approved the pay, on good evidence or total BS, it wasn’t taken from anyone’s pocket.

The money is tainted, it t’ain’t yours and it t’ain’t mine.

GF

Hear no evil, see no evil speak no evil, what a glorious universe you live in. A little blind, a little naive, surely this injustice and greed is to be respected in the Alternate Universe.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:16 am

What’s EVIL about getting paid thru a voluntary transaction. And what business is it of yours what two totally unrelated parties agree to? Oh, you’re the typical left wing busybody, control freak who lives in envy of others and has the hots to to bend them to your will.

GF

Aaron747

Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:47 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
What’s EVIL about getting paid thru a voluntary transaction. And what business is it of yours what two totally unrelated parties agree to? Oh, you’re the typical left wing busybody, control freak who lives in envy of others and has the hots to to bend them to your will.

GF

That’s all well and good if you like pretending there’s no ‘big picture’ and money does not equal power in some aspects of society. But oh well, the universe is indifferent anyway.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:25 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

You argue like a, to be polite a very young person, throwing out the accusations and denying a very large and serious problem in this country. You may not hear it, you may not see it and you darn well do not want to speak it, as I said, an alternate universe. All is well in your world which I find hard to believe. .

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:48 am

Floyd Mayweather earned $275 MILLION for one night’s work. Is that OK. Is Gates worth his money? Is Bezos? None of them, like the CEOs, stole the money. I just don’t see the problem, please inform me.

GF

Aaron747

Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:56 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Floyd Mayweather earned $275 MILLION for one night’s work. Is that OK. Is Gates worth his money? Is Bezos? None of them, like the CEOs, stole the money. I just don’t see the problem, please inform me.

GF

Useless non sequitur. The real issue is whether or not widening disparity is good for the economy.

TheFlyingDisk

Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:23 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

CEO's high pay aren't a problem provided they don't work to oppress their employees's salary, and that in the good times he shares the wealth with his employees rather than corralling it all for himself & his top executives.

CEO's high pay aren't a problem provided that when the company has financial problems, he cuts his salary first before asking his employees to sacrifice.

CEO's high pay aren't a problem provided that he delivers results

You don't have to steal money to have problems. Exorbitant wealth made on the backs of others who were given less than their worth is just as bad, if not worse than stolen money.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

WarRI1
Topic Author

Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:24 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

The old saying applies here, Can't see the forest for the trees. In an alternate world, I understand. Only in an Alternate World of course.

trpmb6

Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:25 am

It's not a non sequitur. People like Bezos are temporary blips in the economy. Just like the other major drivers throughout history. They make temporary wild gains because of momentary advancements that blow away their competition. Eventually it all catches back up.

Overall, though, their contributions are net gains for humanity. It just takes time to realize this.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:27 am

Aaron747 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

Useless non sequitur. The real issue is whether or not widening disparity is good for the economy.

Or the safety and security of the wealthy. Madam Guillotine awaits those who ignore the people long enough. I await the denial of the graph from the advocates of exploitation and the not so aware of what it eventually brings.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:30 am

trpmb6 wrote:
It's not a non sequitur. People like Bezos are temporary blips in the economy. Just like the other major drivers throughout history. They make temporary wild gains because of momentary advancements that blow away their competition. Eventually it all catches back up.

Overall, though, their contributions are net gains for humanity. It just takes time to realize this.

Surely you are joking.

c933103

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:40 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

If those who have the money think that it is worthy to pay those CEO this much to keep them in the job, then who can complain? Management are the most difficult to replace role in the company that's why they're getting the most pay rise in addition to the most paid.The problem is how can we maintain a stable society when the job of most people aren't as difficult to.replace as those higher up managements?

seahawk

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:51 am

The upper management is the star of the company and highly skilled, it deserves every dollar. The normal workforce is just another resource that you purchase as cheap as possible.

America is about winning not whining!

Aaron747

Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:37 am

seahawk wrote:
The upper management is the star of the company and highly skilled, it deserves every dollar. The normal workforce is just another resource that you purchase as cheap as possible.

Then none of ya’ll should be whining about illegal immigration because the cheapest possible labor is precisely what our system is incentivized to aim for. And no whining when our brick and mortar retail and manufacturing jobs are extinct not too long from now.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:26 am

seahawk wrote:

Gee! things must have changed since I worked for a living, management was mostly a bunch of ass kissing friends who played golf and were heavy drinkers and BS Artists. I worked for one of the largest corporations and it still is. My son works there now, he has not told me things have changed all that much.

santi319

Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:10 am

The United States is no longer a first world country and that is the truth. The elite are super rich while nobody can afford housing and wages are low - like a third world country. Nepotism in the White House - like a third world country. Our airports are... way below even third world countries Ive flown to..

The list goes on and on.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:52 am

santi319 wrote:
The United States is no longer a first world country and that is the truth. The elite are super rich while nobody can afford housing and wages are low - like a third world country. Nepotism in the White House - like a third world country. Our airports are... way below even third world countries Ive flown to..

The list goes on and on.

I can still remember trump going on about the condition of our airports and infrastructure. I guess the wealthy needed a trillion dollar tax cut before infrastructure improvements. :banghead:

seahawk

Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:22 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
seahawk wrote:

Gee! things must have changed since I worked for a living, management was mostly a bunch of ass kissing friends who played golf and were heavy drinkers and BS Artists. I worked for one of the largest corporations and it still is. My son works there now, he has not told me things have changed all that much.

If it is easy, be a winner, be a CEO.

trpmb6

Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:39 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
santi319 wrote:

The list goes on and on.

I can still remember trump going on about the condition of our airports and infrastructure. I guess the wealthy needed a trillion dollar tax cut before infrastructure improvements. :banghead:

Maybe if Congress focused on passing some legislation we could get an infrastructure bill.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:42 pm

If it’s so easy, why do CEOs have such short “tenures” in their positions—about 5-6 years? If it’s all about good golf scores, lavish spending, that should be easy pickings.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:56 am

trpmb6 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
santi319 wrote:

The list goes on and on.

Maybe if Congress focused on passing some legislation we could get an infrastructure bill.

Who has controlled congress and the White House for two years???

WarRI1
Topic Author

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:01 am

seahawk wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
seahawk wrote:

If it is easy, be a winner, be a CEO.

I was content as my son is to be a well paid union man, with benefits and a very good hourly wage. So far on my union wages, retirement and healthcare fully paid, I have been able to maintain my living standard for 21 years retired so far. I am a winner, better believe it. I hope for many more to come, life is so good.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:02 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
If it’s so easy, why do CEOs have such short “tenures” in their positions—about 5-6 years? If it’s all about good golf scores, lavish spending, that should be easy pickings.

I cannot believe that you would go there, surely you cannot be serious.

BerenErchamion

Fri May 10, 2019 4:57 am

apodino wrote:
This is a real problem, but I am not sure what the solution is.

Worker control of the means of production, tbh.

BerenErchamion

Fri May 10, 2019 4:59 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

Please provide evidence that one BOD, one CEO put a gun to anyone’s head and stole the money

I mean, that's literally what capitalism is: theft of wealth by the unproductive classes from those who actually produce it, through the violence propping up the legal construct called "private property."

BerenErchamion

Fri May 10, 2019 4:59 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
What’s EVIL about getting paid thru a voluntary transaction

There's nothing the least bit "voluntary" about capitalism. For the vast majority of people, their options are submit or die from starvation.

Magog

Fri May 10, 2019 9:54 am

BerenErchamion wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:

Please provide evidence that one BOD, one CEO put a gun to anyone’s head and stole the money

I mean, that's literally what capitalism is: theft of wealth by the unproductive classes from those who actually produce it, through the violence propping up the legal construct called "private property."

Nobody “steals” anything in a capitalistic society. The very essence of capitalism is that you are paid what you are actually worth.

Aaron747

Fri May 10, 2019 11:18 am

Magog wrote:
BerenErchamion wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Nobody “steals” anything in a capitalistic society. The very essence of capitalism is that you are paid what you are actually worth.

Thankfully its essence is actually more than something so arbitrary and abjectly devoid of responsibility as ‘determination of worth’