MaverickM11
Topic Author

Army Vet runs down crowd, thought they were Muslims

Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:30 pm

"Before he ran down the crowd, Peoples picked up food and was heading toward a Bible study group, police said. One witness told The Chronicle that he reached speeds up to 60 mph before striking the victims. Police later found a disassembled, inoperative shotgun in the Toyota, they said."

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/articl ... 799225.php
E pur si muove -Galileo

scbriml

Re: Army Vet runs down crowd, thought they were Muslims

Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:21 pm

So, mentally ill per his lawyer, or opportunistic christian terrorist?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

BestWestern

Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:47 pm

We have seen the islamophibia on this site of late, which is a microcosm of the world. We can expect more of these events.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

Dutchy

Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:17 pm

Sensless violence.

BestWestern wrote:
We have seen the islamophibia on this site of late, which is a microcosm of the world. We can expect more of these events.

Yes, too sad. And the reaction from some crazy Islamist, just like Sri Lanka was said to be a reaction to the New Zealand massacre. It is a crazy world.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

MikeDrop

Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:30 pm

scbriml wrote:

Straight to the culture wars and identity politics with you, as usual. Tiresome. The article clearly states that his family believes that he has been suffering from PTSD. Perhaps they are lying, perhaps not. If he did indeed target these people because of their perceived religion or race it is a hate crime, and it should be treated with the seriousness that all hate crimes need to be dealt with. If actual PTSD was truly involved then he may get some treatment while he spends the rest of his life in prison.

But to jump to calling him a christian terrorist is just over the top ridiculous.

While making no excuses for this horrible crime, we do have a MASSIVE problem with PTSD impacted veterans in this country, and your dismissal of it and your attempt to play identity politics just makes you come off like a partisan hack.

Mike Drop

LittleFokker

Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:53 pm

scbriml wrote:

https://twitter.com/jameshg73p/status/7 ... 3924569088
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

Jouhou

Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:54 pm

MikeDrop wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Straight to the culture wars and identity politics with you, as usual. Tiresome. The article clearly states that his family believes that he has been suffering from PTSD. Perhaps they are lying, perhaps not. If he did indeed target these people because of their perceived religion or race it is a hate crime, and it should be treated with the seriousness that all hate crimes need to be dealt with. If actual PTSD was truly involved then he may get some treatment while he spends the rest of his life in prison.

But to jump to calling him a christian terrorist is just over the top ridiculous.

While making no excuses for this horrible crime, we do have a MASSIVE problem with PTSD impacted veterans in this country, and your dismissal of it and your attempt to play identity politics just makes you come off like a partisan hack.

Mike Drop

He was also quoted as saying the Christian equivalent of "allahu akhbar" while attacking people. You could also say Islamic extremists suffer from PTSD too since the extremism problem is worse in war zones. It does not justify attempting to murder people.

Call me a hardliner, but I don't think mental illness gets a free pass. I do agree more could be done in terms of treatment and prevention, especially with veterans. But once they go out and try murdering people, my sympathy goes out the window.

trpmb6

Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:54 pm

Jouhou wrote:

He was also quoted as saying the Christian equivalent of "allahu akhbar" while attacking people. .

Just curious... but what exactly is the Christian equivalent? I have no idea.

zkojq

Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:23 pm

MikeDrop wrote:
The article clearly states that his family believes that he has been suffering from PTSD.

Oh well that makes it ok then. :roll: I'm sure you'd extend that same courtesy to him if he had a middle eastern background.
First to fly the 787-9

NIKV69

Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:34 pm

BestWestern wrote:

Care to post some examples?
"Some people did something" Rep Omar on 9/11

MikeDrop

Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:47 pm

zkojq wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:
The article clearly states that his family believes that he has been suffering from PTSD.

Oh well that makes it ok then. :roll: I'm sure you'd extend that same courtesy to him if he had a middle eastern background.

Good job on the cherry picking - I like how you left off the part of my post where I said that he should be punished for a hate crime. But hey, don't let actual facts get in the way of your culture war.

Mike Drop

scbriml

Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:52 pm

MikeDrop wrote:

No, the evidence is there. I can't help you if you don't want to see.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:20 pm

MikeDrop wrote:

He literally ran over people on his way to bible study, because he thought they were Muslim. What would you call that?
E pur si muove -Galileo

NIKV69

Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:54 pm

scbriml wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:

Let me get this straight. If it is a member of the Muslim community and they kill Christians they are radical Islamists but if a Christian does it they are simply just Christian terrorists?

Broad brush is alive and well.
"Some people did something" Rep Omar on 9/11

stratclub

Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:03 pm

Religion belief had nothing to do with it. He intentionally killed people, period. PTSD could show as to why he was mentally ill and not in it's self an excuse either.

Aaron747

Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:04 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:

Let me get this straight. If it is a member of the Muslim community and they kill Christians they are radical Islamists but if a Christian does it they are simply just Christian terrorists?

There are radical fundies in all religions - a spade is a spade is a spade. I never thought about harming people on the way to Hebrew school, and never tried to convince anyone to convert or change their beliefs...guess I’m not a fundie. See how it works?
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Jouhou

Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:54 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

He was also quoted as saying the Christian equivalent of "allahu akhbar" while attacking people. .

Literally it would be "God is the greatest", but I would say "Praise the lord" and in this guy's case "Thank you Jesus" express the same sentiment.

Jouhou

Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:03 am

NIKV69 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:

It should be noted that the majority of people killed by Islamic extremists are muslims. That's why the distinction is required. Their ideology compels them to attack different forms of Islam the same as they attack non believers.

scbriml

Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:17 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Let me get this straight. If it is a member of the Muslim community and they kill Christians they are radical Islamists

No, they'd be islamic terrorists in my book. * shrug *

BestWestern

Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:15 am

Jouhou wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

It should be noted that the majority of people killed by Islamic extremists are muslims. That's why the distinction is required. Their ideology compels them to attack different forms of Islam the same as they attack non believers.

Just like the Christian terrorism in Northern Ireland.

Jouhou

Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:28 am

BestWestern wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

??? I thought that terrorism was fueled by a separatist ideology?

You want an example of Christian terrorists killing Christians look no further than: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord%27 ... tance_Army
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Ch ... _massacres

BestWestern

Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:40 am

Jouhou wrote:
BestWestern wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

??? I thought that terrorism was fueled by a separatist ideology?

Modern day terrorism sprang from Religious sectarianism. Northern Ireland was majorly Protestant and the Catholic areas were ignored for investment and infrastructure. One example is the motorway network linking Protestant towns and not Catholic ones.

https://sluggerotoole.com/2017/06/28/th ... st-divide/

The radical hatred of Protestant vs Catholic lead the head of the leading Protestant party to call the pope the anti christ to his face in the European Parliament.

WIederling

Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:42 pm

BestWestern wrote:
Modern day terrorism sprang from Religious sectarianism. Northern Ireland was majorly Protestant and the Catholic areas were ignored for investment and infrastructure. One example is the motorway network linking Protestant towns and not Catholic ones.

Ireland as a whole was catholic.
Under the English crowns reign Presbyterian Scots were introduced to work as an administrative clergy.
( Low chance to make friends with the natives. :-)
Northern Ireland is what remains to the UK after independence of Ireland (1921/22..)
Murphy is an optimist

trpmb6

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:30 am

Jouhou wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

Literally it would be "God is the greatest", but I would say "Praise the lord" and in this guy's case "Thank you Jesus" express the same sentiment.

Praise the lord makes sense. I guess I've just never really made that connection.

zkojq

Wed May 01, 2019 4:10 pm

BestWestern wrote:
One example is the motorway network linking Protestant towns and not Catholic ones.

https://sluggerotoole.com/2017/06/28/th ... st-divide/

That was an excellent read - thanks for sharing.

BestWestern wrote:
The radical hatred of Protestant vs Catholic lead the head of the leading Protestant party to call the pope the anti christ to his face in the European Parliament.

When was this?
First to fly the 787-9

bennett123

Wed May 01, 2019 7:19 pm

That was Ian Paisley back, most recently in 1988.

The only problem was that when the Pope visited Belfast, then Paisley was right up the front protesting.

Well the Pope blessed the crowd and next day all the papers had pictures of Paisley being blessed by the Anti Christ.

Amazing