Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jouhou
Topic Author

Another US synagogue shooting

Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:41 am

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cali ... SKCN1S30K8.

On the subject at hand I don't know what to say. The resurgence of anti-Semitism is horrifying and depressing. The article doesn't say much beyond a dude walking into a synagogue and starting to shoot people.

On the topic of the spate of bad news...
You know, as a non-religious person all of this religious violence recently freaks me out. After spending my life being lectured by people of other religions that I can't be a moral person without believing in god...

I feel no compulsion to kill anyone for their religious beliefs. I don't want to kill anyone, actually.
情報

seb146

Re: Another US synagogue shooting

Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:50 am

I subscribe to a few local information agencies from the West Coast. None of them say anything about the alleged shooter's skin color. I find this interesting. When the young lady was murdered in San Francisco, everyone was right on the Mexican heritage of the shooter.

Many of us have been conditioned to not care that a gun was used. We are exhausted about "man walks into building and opens fire" which I find sad. We are so numb to it.

Which well regulated militia was this man a part of in defending the United States? I have to ask because Second Amendment blah blah blah......
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Jouhou
Topic Author

Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:09 am

seb146 wrote:
I subscribe to a few local information agencies from the West Coast. None of them say anything about the alleged shooter's skin color. I find this interesting. When the young lady was murdered in San Francisco, everyone was right on the Mexican heritage of the shooter.

Many of us have been conditioned to not care that a gun was used. We are exhausted about "man walks into building and opens fire" which I find sad. We are so numb to it.

Which well regulated militia was this man a part of in defending the United States? I have to ask because Second Amendment blah blah blah......

Well this article does say it's a 19 year old white male. The article doesn't say anything of him being religious or not. I'm jumping to the conclusion his motives are the same as the Pennsylvania synagogue shooter. Mind you there are methods of mass murder that don't involve guns.

My fellow humans are freaking me out.

Edit: "white male" has been replaced with the attackers name in the recent update of the article.

Edit #2: Dude apparently claimed responsibility for setting fire to a mosque too.

Edit #3: Dude was a member of the 8Chan community. I'm starting to think the FBI needs to start monitoring the /pol/ board of 4Chan and the entirety of 8Chan full time as these appear to be breeding grounds of domestic terrorism in the US.
情報

seb146

Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:52 am

Jouhou wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Well this article does say it's a 19 year old white male. The article doesn't say anything of him being religious or not. I'm jumping to the conclusion his motives are the same as the Pennsylvania synagogue shooter. Mind you there are methods of mass murder that don't involve guns.

Edit: "white male" has been replaced with the attackers name in the recent update of the article.

Edit #2: Dude apparently claimed responsibility for setting fire to a mosque too.

Edit #3: Dude was a member of the 8Chan community. I'm starting to think the FBI needs to start monitoring the /pol/ board of 4Chan and the entirety of 8Chan full time as these appear to be breeding grounds of domestic terrorism in the US.

As a white Christian middle aged homosexual man, I spend so much time questioning what other white middle aged people say. I actually fear them more. And I look like one of them! When a group of people get me upset, my first response is to walk away and do something I want to do. Something involving glitter or shoes or beer or hiking. I have never thought of doing anything with a gun when people anger me. WTH is wrong with these people? Other than the whole notion of MAGA......

Airstud

Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:59 am

Jouhou wrote:
I'm starting to think the FBI needs to start monitoring the /pol/ board of 4Chan and the entirety of 8Chan full time as these appear to be breeding grounds of domestic terrorism in the US.

What makes you think they don't?
Pancakes are delicious.

Jouhou
Topic Author

Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:14 am

Airstud wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
I'm starting to think the FBI needs to start monitoring the /pol/ board of 4Chan and the entirety of 8Chan full time as these appear to be breeding grounds of domestic terrorism in the US.

They do, but to my understanding it's only when they've been notified of a specific threat, and with the volume of tips they are given there is too much lag time between when they've been notified and when they look into it. It would be ideal if FBI agents were catching red flag posts at the time they are posted and were taking things into their hands immediately.
情報

Jouhou
Topic Author

Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:17 am

seb146 wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
seb146 wrote:

As a white Christian middle aged homosexual man, I spend so much time questioning what other white middle aged people say. I actually fear them more. And I look like one of them! When a group of people get me upset, my first response is to walk away and do something I want to do. Something involving glitter or shoes or beer or hiking. I have never thought of doing anything with a gun when people anger me. WTH is wrong with these people? Other than the whole notion of MAGA......

It's the social phenomenon where technology advances faster than society can adapt to it. People who are mentally disturbed and have violent views used to not be able to find like minded people in their local communities, and if they discussed their views they would be shunned. The internet and social media have made it far easier for them to find like minded people over long distances to organize with.
情報

seb146

Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:52 am

Airstud wrote:
Jouhou wrote:

I monitor my local activities on the scanner and a neighborhood app too. So what? Monitoring and actually doing something are two different things. These people feel they are being left behind. They feel they are not part of America. Partly because their leader says so. Partly because of years and years of "liberals say you don't count!" from AM radio and fringe sites. Muslims and Jews and women should never ever be shot at or run over but how do we tell these people who feel they have nothing that they do have a voice and we hear them and they need to progress? That we are no longer a white male Christian society?

bennett123

Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:02 am

More thoughts and prayers from the WH.

seb146

Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:06 am

Tell me again how much the Republican party and MAGA fan boys love Jews.....

scbriml

Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:11 am

Seems the perpetrator was under investigation for setting fire to a mosque last month. So maybe anti-semitism has less to do with it than some would like to believe.

bennett123 wrote:
More thoughts and prayers from the WH.

Hey, that always helps. :sarcastic:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Airstud

Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:34 am

scbriml wrote:
Seems the perpetrator was under investigation for setting fire to a mosque last month. So maybe anti-semitism has less to do with it than some would like to believe.

Did you read the guy's "manifesto?" He's as dyed-in-the-wool antisemitic as they get.
Pancakes are delicious.

alfa164

Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:59 am

From the Reuters article:

"A rambling, violently anti-Semitic, anti-Muslim screed written by an individual calling himself John Earnest was found posted to the online text-storage site Pastebin.com and the file-storage site Mediafire.com. Links to the content on both sources were posted on the Internet message board 8chan."

And from https://heavy.com/news/2019/04/john-earnest/:

"Earnest wrote that he is a Christian and blames all Jews for the execution of Jesus Christ. "And finally, for their role in the murder of the Son of Man—that is the Christ. Every Jew young and old has contributed to these. For these crimes they deserve nothing but hell," Earnest wrote."
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

scbriml

Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:41 am

Airstud wrote:
Did you read the guy's "manifesto?" He's as dyed-in-the-wool antisemitic as they get.

Setting fire to a mosque must just be part of his cover then, I guess.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Scorpio

Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:04 am

scbriml wrote:
Setting fire to a mosque must just be part of his cover then, I guess.

Doesn't sound like he was only antisemitic. It appears he was anti-everyone who wasn't a white Christian.

Just out of curiosity, are US media treating this like a terrorist attack, like they would if the shooter had been Muslim?

flipdewaf

Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:44 am

seb146 wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
seb146 wrote:

My “theory” as to why they reach for the gun as opposed to walk away for something else comes from several places.
1. A change in the perception of what and where their world is.
2. A change in how the world and their lives are influenced and the confluences of this combined with point 1.
3. The need to feel as if one has control over ones life.

Point 1. In a a more media driven and connected world there are things that we see as changing and potentially changing for the worse ( it’s human nature to resist change). When the reality is that we are just learning more about what is occurring as our ‘world’ increases in size. My example of this is my wife reading Facebook and says “why are so many people abusing dogs these days, it’s so much more regular than it used to be?” When the reality is probably more likely that the rate is much the same but we hear about it more often, but the scope of our ‘worlds’ has changed so to all intents and purposes the world has changed.

Point 2. Back before the media and interconnected days the ‘world’ could be influenced by a local meeting and through organisations such as the church or local sorts club. But when those same principles are applied to modern communication methods the effect is almost completely negated due to the volume of global communications watering down the influence. The success of the west was previously shown to be how much the rest of the world wanted to be like the west and this was shown to the ‘people’ as being down to them being successful.

Point 3. As humans need control over their lives and the two points above show how the ‘world’ is now changing and despite the traditional efforts applied it is not changing according to the efforts of days past. The people who are able to have influence on their own wellbeing and change the world are no longer those who agree with the views of those who were successful during the rise of the western powers.

You want to feel like you have control and influence? Hold up a gun to someone and suddenly those in the media are talking about your views rather than then being buried in a echo chamber of social media.

That’s my rather long winded thoughts.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WIederling

Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:01 am

Airstud wrote:
Jouhou wrote:
.... breeding grounds of domestic terrorism in the US.

Guess where and how those going on a rampage get their funny ideas from?
Hordes on those "Social networks" are much easier to lead and control than
in a face to face environment. Guess why there is software around to
appear as a multitude of personalities from a single computer.
Murphy is an optimist

bennett123

Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:03 pm

alfa164

Only thing is that if read his Bible then he would know that Jesus forgave those who went on to crucify him.

So either he can’t read or he rejects Jesus. Funny sort of Christian.

DL717

Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:18 pm

bennett123 wrote:
alfa164

Only thing is that if read his Bible then he would know that Jesus forgave those who went on to crucify him.

Oh, I’m quite sure he doesn’t have a Bible.
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.

WIederling

Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:35 pm

bennett123 wrote:

For some "Christians" their religious resource does not go beyond the Old Testament.
Eye for an Eye, Or even better you bend my hair I chop your head off.
Murphy is an optimist

BestWestern

Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:41 pm

Yet another bigoted attack on ones right to pray.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

MaverickM11

Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:59 pm

To review, this is the second right wing synagogue shooting, by men who were convinced by republicans that Soros and the Jews were bringing in violent immigrants into the country, never mind the multiple mosque shootings, the looney tunes Trump bomber, and all extremist murders in 2018. All Trump’s “very fine people”. But something something antifa :roll:
bennett123 wrote:
alfa164

Ye olde no true Christian argument :roll:
Last edited by MaverickM11 on Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't take responsibility at all

frmrCapCadet

Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:05 pm

Being anti- someone else does not balance out being anti- Semitic. And so long as we are an AR-15 gun loving culture this will continue happening.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

flipdewaf

Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:31 pm

bennett123 wrote:
alfa164

Can you read?do you follow the bibles morals and traditions? Do you think it’s ok to rape virgins and keep slaves? You seem to be very quick to say someone isn’t a good Christian but you seem to ignore a very important part of the bible, the words.

Fred

scbriml

Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:55 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Being anti- someone else does not balance out being anti- Semitic. And so long as we are an AR-15 gun loving culture this will continue happening.

Of course not, but maybe his history suggests he's just a racist terrorist?

frmrCapCadet

Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:03 pm

scbriml wrote:
frmrCapCadet wrote:

:checkmark:

alfa164

Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:48 pm

scbriml wrote:
frmrCapCadet wrote:

A racist terrorist with an AR-15... the brazenness of his sentiments and the determination of certain groups to stop limitations on weapons of war makes for a deadly combination.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

seb146

Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:23 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:

I am confused. Are you saying we should not call this right wing terrorist anti-Semitic?

frmrCapCadet

Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:31 pm

A previous comment could be interpreted that the shooter was anti-Islam and therefore not anti-semitic. I clarified that one could be both. Which in all likelihood the original poster would agree.

Maloak33

Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:41 pm

With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil, but for good people to do evil-that takes religion.
Of all the things I’ve lost, I miss my mind the most.

seb146

Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:03 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
A previous comment could be interpreted that the shooter was anti-Islam and therefore not anti-semitic. I clarified that one could be both. Which in all likelihood the original poster would agree.

This right wing terrorist walked into a JEWISH house of worship and opened fire. That seems pretty anti-Semitic to me. People are called anti-Semitic for speaking out against the Israeli government all the time. Why do we have to be cautious when a right wing terrorist walks into a JEWISH house of worship and opens fire?

BestWestern

Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:50 pm

seb146 wrote:
frmrCapCadet wrote:

This right wing terrorist walked into a JEWISH house of worship and opened fire. That seems pretty anti-Semitic to me. People are called anti-Semitic for speaking out against the Israeli government all the time. Why do we have to be cautious when a right wing terrorist walks into a JEWISH house of worship and opens fire?

Careful. Being anti Israel doesn’t mean anti Semitic.

The guy was anti Jew, which is anti Semitic.

Being anti Semitic doesn’t mean he can’t be an islamophobe.

He is a terrorist.
He is a bigot.
Do the rest of us Christians have to apologise for him. No.
Last edited by BestWestern on Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bennett123

Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:51 pm

Hi Fred,

My view is that hating Jews because they killed Christ proves that he didn’t read the Bible or places his views over those of Jesus. Either way it is hard to see him as a genuine Christian.

Do you agree?.

bennett123

Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:54 pm

Maloak23

Who are these good people who do bad things due to religion.

How do you conclude that they are good people?.

BestWestern

Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:57 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Hi Fred,

My view is that hating Jews because they killed Christ proves that he didn’t read the Bible or places his views over those of Jesus. Either way it is hard to see him as a genuine Christian.

Do you agree?.

He may believe his faith is calling him to do this. Of course he isn’t a ‘genuine’ Christian. He’s a murdering terrorist bigot, in the same way other ‘religious’ terrorists aren’t following their faith and are murdering terrorist bigots.

flipdewaf

Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:17 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Hi Fred,

Do you agree?.

I’ve yet to meet a ‘genuine’ Christian as you describe so yes I’d agree that he probably is not one. All (and I mean all) Christians I have ever met have picked and chosen what they want to take from the book so it seems par for the course as a Christian therefore to all practical purposes I see him as Christian as yourself.

Fred

bennett123

Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:11 pm

What exactly do Atheists believe?.

seb146

Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:15 pm

BestWestern wrote:
seb146 wrote:
frmrCapCadet wrote:

He is a terrorist.
He is a bigot.
Do the rest of us Christians have to apologise for him. No.

It is interesting that all Muslims have to apologize for the acts of a few and all Blacks have to apologize for the acts of a few but neither Christians or Republicans have to apologize for a right wing terrorist.

flipdewaf

Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:27 pm

bennett123 wrote:
What exactly do Atheists believe?.

I think you have a misunderstanding here. ‘Athiest’ describes a lack of belief in a deity and cannot provide more information.

Saying someone doesn’t like to eat tomatoes doesn’t tell you what they do like to eat.

You could ask me personally what I believe on a given subject but I cannot answer for anyone else or answer “what do I believe” in general.

Fred

scbriml

Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:41 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:

If that's me, then yes, I agree.

My intention was to point out that he may not be 'just' anti-semitic.

bennett123

Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:44 pm

No misunderstanding.

Just strange that given how limited your core beliefs are, and how desperate you are to impose them on other people.

scbriml

Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:46 pm

BestWestern wrote:

But it's an epithet that's frequently thrown around incorrectly. Being critical of the policies of Israel doesn't make one anti-semitic.

BestWestern wrote:

It would appear he's a member of both 'clubs'.

flipdewaf

Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:52 pm

bennett123 wrote:
No misunderstanding.

Just strange that given how limited your core beliefs are, and how desperate you are to impose them on other people.

Interesting how you claim to know what my ‘core beliefs’ are, can you enlighten me as to what you think they are?

I have never tried to impose my beliefs on anyone else other than to always question them and re-evaluate whenever they are demonstrably wrong. I will however point out when someone else’s beliefs are intellectually inconsistent or dogmatically derived.

Fred

Aesma

Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:52 pm

In the US you only have two political parties of significance so it's not as easy to spot. In Europe all historical far right political parties were full of antisemites, many still are. In the case of France, they were often full of people who had praised the nazi occupation of France, collaborated with them, etc. Islam was not a factor at that time, so they weren't islamophobic, to put it simply islamophobia didn't exist at the time. Those same parties or their following incarnations, today, often still have antisemitic people, even if closeted, as they know it's not a good idea to preach such ideas, it's even illegal in several countries, but on top of that, they're all islamophobic. Their core tenets are that Muslims are invading us, that Islam is evil, etc. So, such "classic" antisemitism goes hand in hand with islamophobia.

Then there are other forms of antisemitism : the one coming from some muslims. Of course, they're not islamophobic. And the one coming from some in the far left, due to their aversion to capitalism and financiers, and the idea that Jews are very involved in those. They're not islamophobic as they see muslims as poor victims of the same evil.

In the US you have very few muslims, and very few far left people, so you should mostly have the first combo : far right antisemites and islamophobes.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Aaron747

Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:03 am

BestWestern wrote:
bennett123 wrote:
Hi Fred,

Do you agree?.

He may believe his faith is calling him to do this. Of course he isn’t a ‘genuine’ Christian. He’s a murdering terrorist bigot, in the same way other ‘religious’ terrorists aren’t following their faith and are murdering terrorist bigots.

My fiancé says these guys are all the same, anywhere in the world - they feel they can’t measure up whenever they see what’s between their legs, can’t get laid, or are wannabe alphas but struggling with burgeoning homo feelings. Apparently quite a few women share this view - do they know something we don’t?
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

dmg626

Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:06 am

seb146 wrote:

In his manifesto he calls Trump a Zionist and Jew loving traitor so, where did you get your information ?

seb146

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:43 am

dmg626 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

In his manifesto he calls Trump a Zionist and Jew loving traitor so, where did you get your information ?

Just observing day to day life

bennett123

Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:17 am

Fred

My understanding is that Atheists do not believe in God, but do not, (as a group) have any other beliefs in common.

As for imposing your will on others. I suggest you re read your previous posts on the subject. IMO, they go well beyond expressing a difference of opinion or factual disagreement.

Jouhou
Topic Author

Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:45 am

Aaron747 wrote:
BestWestern wrote:
bennett123 wrote:
Hi Fred,

Do you agree?.

My fiancé says these guys are all the same, anywhere in the world - they feel they can’t measure up whenever they see what’s between their legs, can’t get laid, or are wannabe alphas but struggling with burgeoning homo feelings. Apparently quite a few women share this view - do they know something we don’t?

Absolutely. We know these are the kind of guys we would never sleep with- they're also the same guys who call us whores and bitches when we reject their advances on us. They don't understand how to take responsibility for their own failures and this is the root cause of why no women want them.

As for Atheists- they have a belief. A firm belief there is no god.

I'm an agnostic. I don't think there is a God but I can't prove it, but I sure as hell can firmly say I'd never believe in an AbrahamIc religion. A supreme being such as the Abrahamic God I would not think to be so *human* and petty that he demands absolute loyalty and worship etc from people. That's something humans want. A supreme god wouldn't care, if "caring" would even be a thing for a supreme deity. And if the Abrahamic God does demand loyalty, to the extent that you'd kill to prove your loyalty, that's not a God worth being loyal to.

I'm loyal to society and doing what's best as a member of society.

That said, I'm OK with religious people as long as they don't follow violent interpretations of their religion or try to force their religion down my throat IE trying to make our secular government not secular.
情報

flipdewaf

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:44 am

bennett123 wrote:
Fred

My understanding is that Atheists do not believe in God, but do not, (as a group) have any other beliefs in common.
Sounds right to me.

bennett123 wrote:
As for imposing your will on others. I suggest you re read your previous posts on the subject. IMO, they go well beyond expressing a difference of opinion or factual disagreement.
I have pointed out where your logic is bad and you are inconsistent. The fact that you have felt threatened by calling you out does make one wonder.

Jouhou wrote:

As for Atheists- they have a belief. A firm belief there is no god.
I wold define it slightly differently, an athiest does not believe in god but does not hold a belief that there is no god.

Jouhou wrote:
I'm an agnostic. I don't think there is a God but I can't prove it,
this would be more in line with what I believe. I'm not sure it matters what we call it. Just semantics really.

Jouhou wrote:
but I sure as hell can firmly say I'd never believe in an AbrahamIc religion. A supreme being such as the Abrahamic God I would not think to be so *human* and petty that he demands absolute loyalty and worship etc from people. That's something humans want. A supreme god wouldn't care, if "caring" would even be a thing for a supreme deity. And if the Abrahamic God does demand loyalty, to the extent that you'd kill to prove your loyalty, that's not a God worth being loyal to.

I'm loyal to society and doing what's best as a member of society.

Jouhou wrote:
That said, I'm OK with religious people as long as they don't follow violent interpretations of their religion or try to force their religion down my throat IE trying to make our secular government not secular.
You see I'm less inclined to think mild forms of their religion are ok. I would not want to be part of a society that tells people what they shouldn't believe as much as I would want to be part of a society that tells people what they should believe, I 'believe' both options are equally oppressive. However I'm less inclined to think mild forms of their religion are ok but the violent interpretations are not, I see them almost as 'gateway' religions.

The spread of Idioms such as "faith is a virtue"or "Christian values" such that society accepts them and then allows people to think its acceptable to believe things with no evidence is absolute lunacy. it's a bigger leap from reality to believing in an almighty creator who knows your thoughts, than it is from the almighty creator who knows your thoughts to believing that creator wants you to kill people.

I wont tell people what they should believe but I will call out their lunacy and if they feel offended about it then that's fine, but feel free to argue backhowever being offended doesn't constitute and argument.

Fred

Fred