Airstud
Topic Author

ApplePay: questions and hacks

Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:49 am

Though I've been a smartphone user since 2013 I only learned how to use ApplePay (I set the curve, see) a few months ago. At first it seemed a nice feature that if I spent $26.40 at Byerly's I would get a notification on my lock screen a minute later telling me this. (What's kind of strange is that if I use my AmEx card outside of ApplePay, I still get that same kind of notification. showing the amount and merchant, on my phone - and no, I don't have the AmEx app installed.)

Questions:

1) It would be super-helpful for my own bookkeeping purposes if there were a way to export the data in these notifications. Can my recent ApplePay transactions be spat into an iCloud-hosted spreadsheet, or better yet a .csv file?

2) (I am reasonably certain the answer to this one is "no" but here it goes:) Can ApplePay work over WiFi? I'm not sure where my AmEx card is, in fact, maybe somewhere in the garbage dump that is the back of my car - of course I check my statement carefully each month and there's been no funny stuff. The card is however loaded to ApplePay. This becomes a problem because I am disgusted with iPhone overall versus Android, wanna go back to Android; am fed up with call quality on Sprint, wanna go to a better network. Except I pretty much need my current iPhone to use my AmEx card until they send me a new one in about two years. Not calling AmEx because I like my account number; it has a lot of 8's in it.

It would be awesome if I could just connect to the WiFi of the Target or Byerly's I'm in (I don't think CVSes have WiFi, do they?) and have full use of ApplePay; such that I could decomm my Sprint account but keep my iPhone for payments, and meanwhile get a different phone for wireless/LTE connectage.
Pancakes are delicious.

einsteinboricua

Re: ApplePay: questions and hacks

Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:03 pm

Airstud wrote:
1) It would be super-helpful for my own bookkeeping purposes if there were a way to export the data in these notifications. Can my recent ApplePay transactions be spat into an iCloud-hosted spreadsheet, or better yet a .csv file?

That functionality hasn't been incorporated yet. I think when the Apple Card comes out, they may do it, assuming it's the card of choice.

Airstud wrote:
2) (I am reasonably certain the answer to this one is "no" but here it goes:) Can ApplePay work over WiFi? I'm not sure where my AmEx card is, in fact, maybe somewhere in the garbage dump that is the back of my car - of course I check my statement carefully each month and there's been no funny stuff. The card is however loaded to ApplePay. This becomes a problem because I am disgusted with iPhone overall versus Android, wanna go back to Android; am fed up with call quality on Sprint, wanna go to a better network. Except I pretty much need my current iPhone to use my AmEx card until they send me a new one in about two years. Not calling AmEx because I like my account number; it has a lot of 8's in it.

It would be awesome if I could just connect to the WiFi of the Target or Byerly's I'm in (I don't think CVSes have WiFi, do they?) and have full use of ApplePay; such that I could decomm my Sprint account but keep my iPhone for payments, and meanwhile get a different phone for wireless/LTE connectage.

So you want to keep the iPhone just for the Apple Wallet feature? If you know your AmEx account why don't you load the card onto Android Pay? You can call AmEx and have them give you your account number. Regardless, yes, Apple Pay SHOULD work over WiFi, though that's irrelevant because what Apple Pay uses is NFC protocol which is not reliant on WiFi or LTE/4G network. Your phone still has the card saved so as long as the card remains active, the phone AmEx should work fine. Should the card account change, you'll likely be declined at the terminal. In other words, your iPhone will be no different than a plastic card: it won't know anything about the transaction, other than giving the terminal some info and the terminal accepting/declining it.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

anrec80

Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:53 pm

Airstud wrote:
Though I've been a smartphone user since 2013 I only learned how to use ApplePay (I set the curve, see) a few months ago. At first it seemed a nice feature that if I spent $26.40 at Byerly's I would get a notification on my lock screen a minute later telling me this. (What's kind of strange is that if I use my AmEx card outside of ApplePay, I still get that same kind of notification. showing the amount and merchant, on my phone - and no, I don't have the AmEx app installed.)

Questions:

The answer to some of those questions is Yes. I use Apple Pay a lot.

A) if you want your transactions in a spreadsheet - you can go to Amex site and download them in a CSV format from there. CSV is then read by Excel.

B) Apple Pay is not dependent on data connectivity. It keeps all the info it needs (including card numbers it generates for its purposes) on the security chip inside the device (iPhone or Apple Watch).

C) It also is not dependent upon who’s your provider. You should be able to just switch SIM in your phone to Verizon one and use your phone with Verizon.

D) Account number stays the same. if you want Android - you can just switch to Android, and keep your original account number. Later Android phones have similar functionality.

c933103

Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:57 am

If you remember the card number, CVC number, and the expiry date of your card (or obtain these information via other means), and your bank support Google Pay, then you can just type these information into your android phone's Google Pay app and continually use your android phone as your card
This is a placeholder.

NeBaNi

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:03 pm

Airstud wrote:

May I recommend Samsung Pay? It works everywhere a credit card works, which means at a lot more locations than Apply Pay or Google/Android Pay. In my 3+ years of using it, I can count on one hand the number of times it has failed to work, and all of those were in instances I had very bad signal and/or data turned off.

einsteinboricua

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:02 pm

BTW, you CAN request a new AMEX card without changing the account number. I had mine replaced since it was breaking at the magnetic stripe. The only two things that changed were the expiration date and the security codes. The account number remained the same.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Airstud
Topic Author

Wed May 01, 2019 8:35 pm

Who am I kidding; my account number's only got two 8's in it...

:facepalm:
Pancakes are delicious.

casinterest

Wed May 01, 2019 8:38 pm

The key issue here is Apple Pay does NOT require anything other than the NFC chip, and that works without wifi or Cell service.

You won't get a receipt until you get to wifi though :)

So go with your microsoft, android, blackberry, razor, or other phone. You can always use the Iphone as an expensive Credit Card.
Where ever you go, there you are.

cranberrysaus

Thu May 02, 2019 1:03 pm

I think Apple Pay generates a unique CC number for each transaction so that if there's a breach, the leaked number is useless as it was only good for that one transaction. That alone is worth it to me to use it whenever I can.

Airstud
Topic Author

Fri May 03, 2019 1:43 am

cranberrysaus wrote:
I think Apple Pay generates a unique CC number for each transaction so that if there's a breach, the leaked number is useless as it was only good for that one transaction. That alone is worth it to me to use it whenever I can.

Isn't that also what those EMV chips do?
Pancakes are delicious.

hawaiian717

Tue May 07, 2019 7:15 pm

cranberrysaus wrote:

No. Apple Pay creates a mobile device number that's different from the one printed on your card, but it stays the same on that device. If you delete and readd the card, or you add the card to multiple iOS devices (iPhones, iPads, watches), each device gets its own card number as well.

Apple Pay as well as EMV chip cards have other dynamic data that changes per transaction compared to everything being the same with the magnetic stripe, but the card number isn't one of them.

Airstud
Topic Author

Thu May 16, 2019 2:52 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
BTW, you CAN request a new AMEX card without changing the account number. I had mine replaced since it was breaking at the magnetic stripe. The only two things that changed were the expiration date and the security codes. The account number remained the same.

OK, well that's what I did. I have the shiny new card on me right now.

Same old account number, complete with consecutive 8's and everything...

However, I wasn't super-fond of my BankAmericard Visa number, as the last 4 digits contain a 6 and everyone knows 6 is gross.

So imagine my delight when I got some mail from BofA saying Visa had alerted them that a block o' account numbers might have been compromised/breached, and that mine was one of them, so they are issuing me a whole new card with a brand new account number!

It consists almost entirely of 6's.
Pancakes are delicious.

Airstud
Topic Author

Fri May 31, 2019 12:24 am

anrec80 wrote:
A) if you want your transactions in a spreadsheet - you can go to Amex site and download them in a CSV format from there. CSV is then read by Excel.

I know that, but I'm talking about all of my ApplePay transactions, not just the ones that used AmEx. I've also got my CrapitalOne MasterCard on there (for once it fell on the sidewalk, so I had to use a plastic bag to pick it up and still had to douse my hands with Lysol and wash them for 45 minutes with antibacterial soap. :boggled: ) Though my iPhone ownership has caused me to hate Apple, I confess I'm glad ApplePay is there as it keeps my now-biohazard MasterCard usable.

(I use it once a month to buy a diet Pepsi®. I ain't paying no 28% APR.)
Pancakes are delicious.