caliboy93
Topic Author

Transgender athletes in sport

Sun May 05, 2019 4:30 am

So recently, sprinter Caster Semenya was banned from competing in the 800m unless she reduces her testosterone levels to acceptable level - comparable to other female athletes. It's an extremely controversial situation, where her levels are natural and some feel like a violation of transgender rights, while others highlight the immense competitive advantage over her peers.

I think it's wrong to condemn her because that's her natural body. If tomorrow an 8 foot guy joined the NBA and started shooting 3 pointers with 95% accuracy no one would condemn him.

What are your thoughts on this?

Airstud

Re: Transgender athletes in sport

Sun May 05, 2019 5:05 am

I don't think Semenya is transgender; I think she identifies with what Pope Francis calls one's "gender of creation." She just has that condition that causes high test levels in chicks. :boggled:

Edit: Hyperandrogenism. That's what it's called, hyperandrogenism.

(Again, :boggled: )
Pancakes are delicious.

777Jet

Sun May 05, 2019 5:51 am

I believe this one is Intersex.

Having said that, I don't believe Semenya should be allowed to compete in competitions for females. The winning margins illustrate the advantage Semenya has over real females. I wonder how those who always come second by such a large margin really feel about Semenya (not the PC stuff some say to keep everybody happy).

Semenya should compete in an Intersex category or not at all.

Rather have to say too bad for Semenya instead of watching dozens of deserving athletes never win that gold medal they deserve due to this nonsense.
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

scbriml

Sun May 05, 2019 6:54 am

If Semenya is biologically a woman on the edge of a scale and naturally produces a higher level of testosterone (which is my understanding of her situation), I don't see why she can't compete as a woman. Why should she be disadvantaged when she isn't cheating?

She has a natural advantage and I don't have an issue with that. The same kind of natural advantage that Michael Phelps has in the pool. Nobody ever suggested he should be banned because he has some 'freaky' body proportions that help him as a swimmer.
https://www.scienceabc.com/sports/micha ... mming.html

Tough on their competitors and I don't see why they are 'more deserving' of winning.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Maloak33

Sun May 05, 2019 7:00 am

"Semenya should compete in an Intersex category or not at all." 100% agree with you.
This whole Semenya thing is getting out of hand. She/he/it is not female so why the hell is she/he/it running against females in the first place. Whats next, a lesbian( no disrespect) playing NFL with the guys because she identifies her self as a guy?

Mal
Of all the things I’ve lost, I miss my mind the most.

Airstud

Sun May 05, 2019 7:02 am

Maloak33 wrote:
"She/he/it is not female

Isn't she?
Pancakes are delicious.

scbriml

Sun May 05, 2019 7:08 am

Maloak33 wrote:
Whats next, a lesbian( no disrespect) playing NFL with the guys because she identifies her self as a guy?

If she's good enough, then why not? But why would she have to be a lesbian? :confused:

You sound like a bigot (no disrespect). See how that works? :scratchchin:
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Dutchy

Sun May 05, 2019 7:11 am

Sports are inherent unfair, to reach the top, your body needs to be perfectly fitted to the sport, you have to really dedicated yourself over the years and you need to have some luck. Your natural abilities are something you are born with. This is something which her body produces naturally, I think it is quite painful for her to talk about her in this way.

777Jet wrote:

You might believe this, she is tested and she is 100% woman. She feels 100% woman. Case closed.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Maloak33

Sun May 05, 2019 7:14 am

Airstud wrote:
Maloak33 wrote:
"She/he/it is not female

Isn't she?

Not in my eyes no. She/he/it is taller, better bone structure and more muscular than all She/he/it's competitors and most probably the entire African continent.
Medically she/he/it might be female...but lets be serious about this.

Mal.

Dutchy

Sun May 05, 2019 7:15 am

Maloak33 wrote:
"Semenya should compete in an Intersex category or not at all." 100% agree with you.
This whole Semenya thing is getting out of hand. She/he/it is not female so why the hell is she/he/it running against females in the first place. Whats next, a lesbian( no disrespect) playing NFL with the guys because she identifies her self as a guy?

Mal

Semenya is a she. Not to hard to grasped. I think it is very disrespectful to her to refer to her as a she/he/it.

Dutchy

Sun May 05, 2019 7:17 am

Maloak33 wrote:
Airstud wrote:
Maloak33 wrote:
"She/he/it is not female

Isn't she?

Not in my eyes no. She/he/it is taller, better bone structure and more muscular than all She/he/it's competitors and most probably the entire African continent.

Mal.

Let's be serious about this, who the hell are you to decide that for another human being. I can't begin to comprehend how that thought proces works with you. :roll:

Maloak33

Sun May 05, 2019 7:24 am

:white: Let me rather not comment any further on this subject, for I know I am going to offend some poor soul out there. :white:

777Jet

Sun May 05, 2019 7:33 am

Dutchy wrote:
Sports are inherent unfair, to reach the top, your body needs to be perfectly fitted to the sport, you have to really dedicated yourself over the years and you need to have some luck. Your natural abilities are something you are born with. This is something which her body produces naturally, I think it is quite painful for her to talk about her in this way.

777Jet wrote:

You might believe this, she is tested and she is 100% woman. She feels 100% woman. Case closed.

Then why has this one athlete been news headlines for years?
DC10-10/30,MD82/88/90, 717,727,732/3/4/5/7/8/9ER,742/4,752/3,763/ER,772/E/L/3/W,788/9, 306,320,321,332/3,346,359,388

777Jet

Sun May 05, 2019 7:35 am

Dutchy wrote:
Maloak33 wrote:
Airstud wrote:

Isn't she?

Mal.

Let's be serious about this, who the hell are you to decide that for another human being. I can't begin to comprehend how that thought proces works with you. :roll:

Let's be serious and cut out the PC stupidity. Who the hell are people to decide what sex they are. Nature decides. It's that simple.

777Jet

Sun May 05, 2019 7:36 am

Dutchy wrote:
Maloak33 wrote:

Mal

Semenya is a she. Not to hard to grasped. I think it is very disrespectful to her to refer to her as a she/he/it.

The real females that keep coming second by massive margins deserve more respect.

scbriml

Sun May 05, 2019 7:37 am

Maloak33 wrote:

So it's not about biological or medical evidence, but how she looks to you? :shock: :banghead:

She is not cheating. She has a natural advantage.

Maloak33 wrote:
Let me rather not comment any further on this subject

Might be best to stop digging when in a hole. :yes:

flipdewaf

Transgender athletes in sport

Sun May 05, 2019 7:59 am

This might not be totally PC but my feelings are that modern sports people at the top level are often ‘freaks’ and need to be to be at the top of their sport. When my dad was competing at the olympics he said of the East German women’s basketball team (I think) “they were definitely women, but not like women as we’d know it”

If sport is to ban freaks then what is sport? A competition to see who is the best at something with the best not allowed to compete because they are too good.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we look back on this day as the beginning of a new dark period in sport. It feels a bit like Graham Obree.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stratclub

Sun May 05, 2019 8:12 am

777Jet wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Maloak33 wrote:

Mal.

Let's be serious and cut out the PC stupidity. Who the hell are people to decide what sex they are. Nature decides. It's that simple.

Thank you. For 99.99% of the people, you are born either male or female. It's just the way it is. If you are male and have a sexual identity disorder, there is absolute nothing medical science can do for you except turn you into a male freak. And no, Bruce Jenner is not a courageous woman. He is a man that is mentally ill.

Even Hillery Clinton's ability to lie has limits. When she said Bruce was a beautiful woman, It looked like she was ready to throw up.
Last edited by stratclub on Sun May 05, 2019 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

seahawk

Sun May 05, 2019 8:13 am

On one hand she has an advantage due to her medical condition, on the other hand other athletes would be banned for doping with the same testosterone levels. In the spirit of inclusion she should be free to participate and people should be happy to see her win.

Kiwirob

Sun May 05, 2019 8:16 am

Dutchy wrote:

777Jet wrote:

I don’t know how a woman can be 100% female when she has undescended testicles. She was born intersex, that’s no longer up for debate.

Last week a transwoman just broke 4 weightlifting world records. How fair is that allowing transwomen to compete against women?

If this sort of thing is allowed it will ruin women’s sport.

“Mary Gregory claimed on Instagram she won ‘nine out of nine’ events, which included setting a new Masters world squat record, open world bench record, Masters world deadlift record and Masters world total record.”

seahawk

Sun May 05, 2019 8:21 am

Inclusion is more important than winning. It is nice to see those athletes get the recognition and increase the awareness for their condition.

Kiwirob

Sun May 05, 2019 8:22 am

seahawk wrote:
On one hand she has an advantage due to her medical condition, on the other hand other athletes would be banned for doping with the same testosterone levels. In the spirit of inclusion she should be free to participate and people should be happy to see her win.

And that’s the reason why they are knocking back her testosterone so that she can compete on an equal footing with everyone else.

Or we could allow female athletes to boost there test level to that of Caster, then everyone is on the same level it’s fair for all.
Last edited by Kiwirob on Sun May 05, 2019 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

stratclub

Sun May 05, 2019 8:24 am

seahawk wrote:

It's just way to simple. if you are born male, compete as a male. If you are born female compete as a female. If you are doping for any reason, you should be disqualified from competing. If you are mentally ill and can't stand what sex you are, deal with it. Male or female is how you are born irregardless of what mental illness you have.

Redd

Sun May 05, 2019 8:27 am

Dutchy wrote:

Tested how? Does she have female reproductive organs?
Last edited by Redd on Sun May 05, 2019 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kiwirob

Sun May 05, 2019 8:28 am

seahawk wrote:
Inclusion is more important than winning. It is nice to see those athletes get the recognition and increase the awareness for their condition.

Not at Olympic and profession level it isn’t .

stratclub

Sun May 05, 2019 8:31 am

seahawk wrote:

Nonsense. Why should I be obliged to be inclusive to someone that has allowed medical science to turn them into something that goes completely against nature? To be perfectly honest, it is kinda spooky.

Absolutely not. Men should not be able to compete as woman. Medical science really is doing people with gender disphoria a disservice by implying they can change someones sex. It is genetically impossible.
Last edited by stratclub on Sun May 05, 2019 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

flipdewaf

Sun May 05, 2019 8:33 am

Kiwirob wrote:
seahawk wrote:

And that’s the reason why they are knocking back her testosterone so that she can compete on an equal footing with everyone else.

Or we could allow female athletes to boost there test level to that of Caster, then everyone is on the same level it’s fair for all.

Ian Thorpe has size 14 feet, should he have had to have his toes lopped off or conversely allowed other swimmers to wear flippers to make their get up to size 14 whilst swimming? Or should we have said it’s fine.

Fred

Dutchy

Sun May 05, 2019 8:44 am

777Jet wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Maloak33 wrote:

Mal

The real females that keep coming second by massive margins deserve more respect.

Why? Serious question? Why would they deserve more respect?

Usain Bolt had a natural edge, do we exclude him because of that?

Redd

Sun May 05, 2019 8:51 am

Dutchy wrote:

Usain Bolt is a biological male, who competes against other biological males. The playing ground is as equal as it can be, and that is why sports are divided into genders.

Dutchy

Sun May 05, 2019 8:54 am

Redd wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Usain Bolt is a biological male, who competes against other biological males. The playing ground is as equal as it can be, and that is why sports are divided into genders.

So the only distinction is man or woman and that is good enough. Biological difference are irrelevant as long as that distinction is made? Quite arbitrary.

Redd

Sun May 05, 2019 8:57 am

Dutchy wrote:
Redd wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

So the only distinction is man or woman and that is good enough. Biological difference are irrelevant as long as that distinction is made? Quite arbitrary.

Biological differences are everything, how did you misread my "Usain Bolt is a biological male, who competes against other biological males"? With emphasis on biology....

Caster has both reproductive organs, male and female, according to my short research. So is she female? Yes, Is she male? Yes. Does she have an unfair advantage? That's the important question.

stratclub

Sun May 05, 2019 9:07 am

Dutchy wrote:
Maloak33 wrote:

Mal

If she is in fact genetically a woman, and is not doping, then she should be able to compete without any restrictions. If she were trans gender, which does not appear to be the case, then it would be reasonable that he should be disqualified from womans sports for being a man.

Olddog

Sun May 05, 2019 9:11 am

But Dutchy have a look ar Caster: do you see a woman ? If yes I would like to see a picture of your wife :)
When UK was in it wanted a lot of opt-outs, now it is out it wants opt-ins

stratclub

Sun May 05, 2019 9:14 am

Dutchy wrote:
Redd wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Just fine. That is how competitions have been defined since there have been competitions. Genetically Male or Female.

Kiwirob

Sun May 05, 2019 9:49 am

flipdewaf wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
seahawk wrote:

Ian Thorpe has size 14 feet, should he have had to have his toes lopped off or conversely allowed other swimmers to wear flippers to make their get up to size 14 whilst swimming? Or should we have said it’s fine.

Fred

Ian Thorpe wasn’t unbeatable, his records didn’t stand for very long. Caster doesn’t get beaten by anyone, she only lost when they knocked back her testosterone to normal levels.
Last edited by Kiwirob on Sun May 05, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

777Jet

Sun May 05, 2019 9:51 am

seahawk wrote:
Inclusion is more important than winning.

Not for those who dedicate the best years of their lives to win that gold medal only to have it robbed due to intentionally being placed at a disadvantage due to PC.

777Jet

Sun May 05, 2019 9:54 am

flipdewaf wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
seahawk wrote:

Fred

Apples to oranges. I have size 14 feet too. That's not as uncommon as an alleged female having no womb and having undescended testicles and sounding like a male and looking like a male and having testosterone closer to a male... Seriously...

WIederling

Sun May 05, 2019 9:56 am

flipdewaf wrote:
This might not be totally PC but my feelings are that modern sports people at the top level are often ‘freaks’ and need to be to be at the top of their sport. When my dad was competing at the olympics he said of the East German women’s basketball team (I think) “they were definitely women, but not like women as we’d know it”

Same for the swimmers. their trainer answering questions about their deep voices:
"Our girls are here for swimming and not for singing" :-)
That was a doping effect.
Everybody knew that the DDR doped their athletes.
In recent years the same has come to light for West German sports teams :-)

Today the "proper" way to dope is via "medical prescription for apparent health issues". Rather popular in the US
while going the holier than though route against the competition. Amusing.

Sports is about talent. Talent is provided by personal bodily setup ( build, hormonal balance , .. ) mindset ( focused, competitive, monomanic ) developed with training, ... .

Doping ( for further improvements ) often retraces mechanisms that provide natural talent.
Murphy is an optimist

777Jet

Sun May 05, 2019 9:56 am

Dutchy wrote:
777Jet wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Why? Serious question? Why would they deserve more respect?

You are comparing the Usain Bolt story with Semenya? You can't be taken seriously anymore...

Bolt is like Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods... All sports have their greats. Semenya is not a great. Semenya is a controversy.

WIederling

Sun May 05, 2019 10:02 am

777Jet wrote:
Bolt is like Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods... All sports have their greats. Semenya is not a great. Semenya is a controversy.

Pfft.

read my post #38.

you are sitting in the trap of "we have "great" athletes and all others have "freak" athletes if they compete successfully.
That is not directly racism but something rather similar.

How does Lance Armstrong fit in your sorting scheme?
Murphy is an optimist

777Jet

Sun May 05, 2019 10:13 am

WIederling wrote:
777Jet wrote:

Pfft.

read my post #38.

you are sitting in the trap of "we have "great" athletes and all others have "freak" athletes if they compete successfully.
That is not directly racism but something rather similar.

Lance Armstrong is a drug cheat and one of the worst kinds.

So you think you're a tough guy and want to imply that I'm a racists because I named my two idol athletes, who happen to be African American and African American / Thai? What you implied about me in your post paints a dim picture of yourself.

I repeat, Armstrong is a drug cheat. Semenya is a controversy. Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Usain Bolt are greats. Garry Player is also a great of golf.

scbriml

Sun May 05, 2019 10:14 am

Olddog wrote:
But Dutchy have a look ar Caster: do you see a woman ? If yes I would like to see a picture of your wife :)

Just because she doesn't conform to a typically western concept of what a 'pretty woman' should look like, doesn't mean she isn't a woman.

WIederling

Sun May 05, 2019 10:16 am

777Jet wrote:
WIederling wrote:

your stance before 2010?
Murphy is an optimist

777Jet

Sun May 05, 2019 10:27 am

WIederling wrote:
777Jet wrote:
WIederling wrote:

your stance before 2010?

Anybody who dopes in sport is a drug cheat. It's very simple. I don't give a crap nor follow cycling, it bores me, so I don't know his full story. All I know about him is that he won many tour de france (people viewed him as some cycling God) but it was later found that he, and many other cyclists, were doping at the time. He robbed other deserving clean athletes of those titles. Call him a thief too if you like. I believe he tried to use his testicular cancer as an excuse, correct me if I'm wrong about him. That is all I know about him and I should know more as I think he was from Austin, TX which is very close to where I grew up. He is a drug cheat. It's very simple. Doesn't matter where he is from. Doesn't matter what colour his skin is. He is a drug cheat. What more do you want me to say? Now why do people like you bring race and colour and origin into these debates? We are discussing Semenya, the one with no womb and undescended testicles and has been described as intersex yet runs with females and always beats them all by big margins. Doesn't really matter where Semenya is from.

Olddog

Sun May 05, 2019 10:28 am

scbriml wrote:
Just because she doesn't conform to a typically western concept of what a 'pretty woman' should look like, doesn't mean she isn't a woman.

Who talked of a pretty woman? It looks like a man, have the muscles and bones of a man with the hormones that go with it. I have not followed very closely but I think that no female competing with it has voiced support, only athletes not competing with Casper.

Do you remember the Erik/Erika Schinegger story ?
When UK was in it wanted a lot of opt-outs, now it is out it wants opt-ins

flipdewaf

Sun May 05, 2019 11:25 am

Olddog wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Who talked of a pretty woman? It looks like a man, have the muscles and bones of a man with the hormones that go with it. I have not followed very closely but I think that no female competing with it has voiced support, only athletes not competing with Casper.

Do you remember the Erik/Erika Schinegger story ?

If Mr penis breath keeps referring to Caster as an it rather than she as a point of defiance even though the fact that she is female is beyond doubt, then Mr penis breath continue to be a penis breathed individual and be portrayed as Mr penis breath even if Mr penis breath is not called Mr penis breath but if we call him Mr penis breath enough times it might promote that he is in Fact called Mr penis breath with those people who are too stupid to be able to determine if he is in fact called Mr penis breath or not.

Fred

Dutchy

Sun May 05, 2019 11:41 am

This subject is stirring quite a controversy on here. I think enough has been said. It would help if we were to discuss it with a little more respect though. Some seem to forget that Caster Semenya is still a human being.

Magog

Sun May 05, 2019 11:53 am

This article suggests that she has XY chromosomes.

https://www.letsrun.com/news/2019/05/wh ... romosomes/

That said, I’m all for her competing with no restrictions, just as I’m for trans women competing. If Semenya identifies as a woman, then she’s a woman. It’s the same for the transgender community. A transgender woman is a woman. Period. Those who think that sex is merely biological are stuck in the past.

777Jet

Sun May 05, 2019 12:12 pm

Magog wrote:
Those who think that sex is merely biological are stuck in the past.

It is you who are stuck, stuck in some weird / confused place:

Definitions: "In general terms, "sex" refers to the biological differences between males and females, such as the genitalia and genetic differences. "Gender" is more difficult to define, but it can refer to the role of a male or female in society, known as a gender role, or an individual's concept of themselves, or gender identity."

Sorry to burst your bubble, but sex is merely biological. Nature determines your sex and therefore if you are a male or female and consequently if you run with the males or females. There are also the very rare intersex people which this topic is about. It's very simple. Don't try to complicate things. Stop confusing sex with gender. Stop confusing fact with fantasy.

Magog wrote:
A transgender woman is a woman. Period.

A transgender woman is a male. Period.

Kiwirob

Sun May 05, 2019 12:54 pm

777Jet wrote:

I think it's pretty obvious that Tiger did use steroids at some time in his career, he was a patient of Dr Anthony Galea, the hgh supplier to A Rod amongst others. Just for shits and giggles and to stir the pot the USPGA started drug testing in July 2008, Tigers slump started after his US Open win in June 2008 until his 2019 Master win, makes you winder if there were more than just personal issues at play. I doubt the PGA want to go there, that would be a pretty major blow to the organisation if proven true.
Last edited by Kiwirob on Sun May 05, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.