Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Tugger

Re: Sparing the rod?

Wed May 15, 2019 2:21 pm

KentB27 wrote:
From my personal experience, spanking worked on me as a child.
[...]
As my brothers and I got older and stronger and were big enough to retaliate

To me this captures the entire problem and failure of spanking....

Gee what did you learn? "when we got big enough to retaliate"... Retaliate? Yup, that's what you learn, "you hit me, I'll hit back" The big get to beat up the weaker.

This actually brought back the memory of when I told my mom "why do you get to hit me and I can't hit you?" She actually apologized (when no apology was needed or desired) said she hadn't thought of it like that.

Hey I am not going to change your mind, nor do I need to. If you think spanking is fine and acceptable, you are going to do it to your kids if you want, hit them and know it is fine because this is what was done to you and you are fine. This is your decision. I can only relate my experiences and tell you that so far as a being parent, with well behaved kids who are respectful, hardworking, with good grades and one heading of to college, physical hitting, spanking, is not needed for teaching a child to behave.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

BerenErchamion

Re: Sparing the rod?

Wed May 15, 2019 3:04 pm

Violence is never acceptable, particularly violence against children. Parents who use violence against children in their care should lose custody.