Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WarRI1
Topic Author

Trump's losses in business

Wed May 08, 2019 3:10 am

https://www.google.com/search?q=trumps+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

Some of the information is leaking out about the losses suffered by this self described Genius.
Last edited by SQ22 on Wed May 08, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Typo fixed
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

GalaxyFlyer

Re: trumps losses in business.

Wed May 08, 2019 3:28 am

If you’re in commercial real estate and can’t show losses for tax purposes, you’re in the wrong business.

GF

WarRI1
Topic Author

Wed May 08, 2019 3:32 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
If you’re in commercial real estate and can’t show losses for tax purposes, you’re in the wrong business.

GF

Eight out of ten years he paid zero taxes, what does that tell us?

seb146

Wed May 08, 2019 3:52 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

He inflated his worth and the worth of his properties. I thought that was illegal. At the very least, it shows he has a lust for money and power and really nothing else. If that is how he does business it is no wonder he is a failed businessman.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

ltbewr

Wed May 08, 2019 4:04 am

This is about Trump's losses and tax write offs from 1984 to 1985, or 24 or more years ago. This is not going to get him out of office any sooner. Sure it is going to make Trump look like a big loser but more likely it will just fire up more hate from Trump toward the NY Times and Democrats 'witch hunt'.

WarRI1
Topic Author

Wed May 08, 2019 4:10 am

ltbewr wrote:
This is about Trump's losses and tax write offs from 1984 to 1985, or 24 or more years ago. This is not going to get him out of office any sooner. Sure it is going to make Trump look like a big loser but more likely it will just fire up more hate from Trump toward the NY Times and Democrats 'witch hunt'.

It is also proof of him being a bull shit artist extraordinaire. He started with a small loan of a million and managed to loose a billion plus. How many can brag about that. We now know why he is trying to cover his ass.

Aaron747

Wed May 08, 2019 4:31 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

These are not just losses for tax purposes - he ruined his credit biting off more than he could chew with failed trading and airline ventures. That’s why no US bank has lent the T.O. anything since the mid-90s. T.O. still functions today though, which makes this question relevant: with no sources of funds in his home country, where has he been getting it from in the meantime?
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

seahawk

Wed May 08, 2019 4:53 am

Not paying taxes shows he is good at his job. If he would pay taxes, he would suck.

BN747

Wed May 08, 2019 5:11 am

His loses were so bad in 1 year, that he represented 1% of the nation, America's losses in a single year, a single person.

That scares anyone who understands the basic tenets of accounting.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

BN747

Wed May 08, 2019 6:01 am

And those 'great business skills' are driving the good ship America, remain calm folks, his 'gut' will guide the nation faithfully..after looking out for himself first.

Is that an iceberg up ahead?

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Aaron747

Wed May 08, 2019 6:16 am

seahawk wrote:
Not paying taxes shows he is good at his job. If he would pay taxes, he would suck.

If he were good at his ‘job’ debts would be paid to creditors and he would be in good standing with banks in his own country. FFS
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

seahawk

Wed May 08, 2019 6:28 am

As a successful business man he operates globally. He always goes for the best deal and American banks did not give the best deal. Simple as that.

BN747

Wed May 08, 2019 6:33 am

Aaron747 wrote:
seahawk wrote:

If he were good at his ‘job’ debts would be paid to creditors and he would be in good standing with banks in his own country. FFS

And it's a safe bet that the credit score of people endorsing 'not paying taxes'...is like -500 or something, :duck:

BN747

Aaron747

Wed May 08, 2019 6:56 am

seahawk wrote:
As a successful business man he operates globally. He always goes for the best deal and American banks did not give the best deal. Simple as that.

What global success would that be? His ‘amazing’ golf/hotel brand found only in Scotland and UAE with a licensed property in Panama that already took his name off?

I work with a lot of luxury types and when they stay around the world, they go for Four Seasons, Nikko, Le Meridien, Grand Hyatt, Intercontinental etc - all of which have owned properties in all major capitals and resort areas. What’s his excuse for not being there among those brands?

bennett123

Wed May 08, 2019 7:26 am

A successful businessman who did not pay any taxes BECAUSE he lost $1Bn.

Makes sense why the stable genius did not want anyone to read that.

As you say, there is no reason why he had to borrow from US Banks.

I wonder who did fund this train wreck.

Dutchy

Wed May 08, 2019 7:54 am

WarRI1 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

It is also proof of him being a bull shit artist extraordinaire. He started with a small loan of a million and managed to loose a billion plus. How many can brag about that. We now know why he is trying to cover his ass.

What a friend told me, and I agreed with his assessment: we are looking at a different film, facts might be the same, the way people at both sides of the line, interpreted it totally different. My assessment is that this will do absolutely nothing than to reconfirm current believes. People not supporting Trump will see this as affirming current believe system that he is totally incompetent, incompetent as a businessman, incompetent as a real estate developer, incompetent as a president. People supporting Trump will dismiss it. Too long ago, biased New York Times, high risk is something businessman do.

So nothing is gained here.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Dutchy

Wed May 08, 2019 8:02 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

Really? I missed that course in my Master of Real Estate and in my working life. ;)

Dutchy

Wed May 08, 2019 8:12 am

seb146 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

He inflated his worth and the worth of his properties. I thought that was illegal. At the very least, it shows he has a lust for money and power and really nothing else. If that is how he does business it is no wonder he is a failed businessman.

but but but, part of his own valuation is his brand. This valuation depends of the feelings of the valuator. :lol:

All disclosed in a trail because a journalist had the guts to tell that Donald Trump wasn't worth as much as he claimed, Trump sued the author for 5billion Dollars, this was his explanation in open court, and of course he lost. :lol:

A3801000

Wed May 08, 2019 8:43 am

Don't worry, he'll bring the US economy on its knees too. He's well on track.

KFLLCFII

Wed May 08, 2019 9:21 am

Great job New York Times, you blew your wad exactly a year and a half before the next election. :lol:

Introducing: The "May of Last Year Surprise". :rotfl:
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

Magog

Wed May 08, 2019 9:58 am

I'm all for seeing Trump's tax records, but I'm confused as to why it's being portrayed as new or surprising that he endured major financial turmoil in the late 80s / early 90s. Everyone has known this forever. The New York newspapers covered it breathlessly at the time. Trump wrote a book about the turmoil (The Art of the Comeback) and incorporated it into his public image. In the first episode of The Apprentice, Trump said: "About 13 years ago, I was seriously in trouble. I was billions of dollars in debt." So... yeah. None of this was really hidden

afcjets

Wed May 08, 2019 11:22 am

Magog wrote:
I'm all for seeing Trump's tax records, but I'm confused as to why it's being portrayed as new or surprising that he endured major financial turmoil in the late 80s / early 90s. Everyone has known this forever. The New York newspapers covered it breathlessly at the time. Trump wrote a book about the turmoil (The Art of the Comeback) and incorporated it into his public image. In the first episode of The Apprentice, Trump said: "About 13 years ago, I was seriously in trouble. I was billions of dollars in debt." So... yeah. None of this was really hidden

Because he was probably behind the leak. This way Congress doesn’t win if they are successful getting his tax returns and if he paid any tax it’s an improvement and if continued not to pay any it’s nothing new. He already said during his campaign his goal as a businessman is to pay as little tax as possible, and most smart business men do exactly that.

Dutchy

Wed May 08, 2019 11:31 am

afcjets wrote:
Magog wrote:

Because he was probably behind the leak. This way Congress doesn’t win if they are successful getting his tax returns and if he paid any tax it’s an improvement and if continued not to pay any it’s nothing new. He already said during his campaign his goal as a businessman is to pay as little tax as possible, and most smart business men do exactly that.

I think the purpose of obtaining his tax returns aren't to portraid him as a bad business men - we already know that because he made less money than he would have been on the stock market doing nothing - or that he isn't as wealthy as he claims - we already know that because of some court cases, the aim is to get to understand how his business is actually financed. Apparently, he is afraid that documents will be released by Deutsche Bank. According to Donald Trump Jr., the Trump organization is greatly dependent on influx of Russian money.

Ah well, if the Democrats want to win the elections, they need to come up with a policy that actually helps people and not just saying that the other side is bad. The Donald Trump thing is an interesting phenomenon, the next US president has got a lot of repairing to do, healing a divided nation and try to re-establish the US as a trustworthy nation which is open to business.

Magog

Wed May 08, 2019 11:35 am

Dutchy wrote:

Ah well, if the Democrats want to win the elections, they need to come up with a policy that actually helps people and not just saying that the other side is bad. The Donald Trump thing is an interesting phenomenon, the next US president has got a lot of repairing to do, healing a divided nation and try to re-establish the US as a trustworthy nation which is open to business.

This perfectly sums up how I feel and why I am so frustrated with my party.

afcjets

Wed May 08, 2019 11:54 am

Dutchy wrote:

I think the purpose of obtaining his tax returns aren't to portraid him as a bad business men - we already know that because he made less money than he would have been on the stock market doing nothing - or that he isn't as wealthy as he claims - we already know that because of some court cases, the aim is to get to understand how his business is actually financed. Apparently, he is afraid that documents will be released by Deutsche Bank. According to Donald Trump Jr., the Trump organization is greatly dependent on influx of Russian money.

Yes, we already know that the stock market greatly outperformed the real estate market during that time period, but go ahead and call him a bad businessman and compare his industry to another one if it makes you feel better. I guess Southwest was a bad airline in the last decade if the tech industry and companies like Facebook and Google made more.

DL717

Re: Trump's losses in business.

Wed May 08, 2019 12:33 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
https://www.google.com/search?q=trumps+losses&oq=trumps+losses&aqs=chrome..69i57.21178j1j8&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Some of the information is leaking out about the losses suffered by this self described Genius.

So he lost money with the big gamble in Atlantic City. Who cares.
Funny. It only took one pandemic for those who argue endlessly about natural selection to stop believing in natural selection.

trpmb6

Wed May 08, 2019 12:40 pm

It's so laughable to see people get worked up about this and in the same day trying to hold contempt hearings on Bill Barr for doing something he is directed by law to do (he literally cannot release an underacted version of the Mueller report because it contains grand jury information - something a law - passed by congress - specifically prevents).

If you think this is going to win 2020 for one of the.. what is it now.. 22? candidates.. you're delusional.

casinterest

Wed May 08, 2019 1:13 pm

Of course Trump Lost a ton of money in Business. HE IS INCOMPETENT . Not to mention a lying racist.
If you care to know more, watch what happens to the economy in the next 18 months.

Remember by the way, when he needed funding, the Russians gave it to him.
Where ever you go, there you are.

zakuivcustom

Wed May 08, 2019 1:23 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
If you think this is going to win 2020 for one of the.. what is it now.. 22? candidates.. you're delusional.

This sounds familiar...

Oh, that's right, back in 2015 "the left" was saying the same thing - "Trying to win an election with these what? 20 clowns?", and we all know what happened.

Oh well, remember, since Trump is going to win in 2020, don't bother going to the voting booth voting for him.

A3801000 wrote:
Don't worry, he'll bring the US economy on its knees too. He's well on track.

Nah, it'll just be another bankruptcy, nothing new. :duck:

As for the NYT article - it just adds nothing substantial - the detractors had always belief that Trump is a joke of a businessman, while his supporters will just spin around it one way or another.

bgm

Wed May 08, 2019 1:30 pm

If he is getting his money from the Russians, doesn't that mean he's potentially compromised?

Magog wrote:
This perfectly sums up how I feel and why I am so frustrated with my party.

You're not alone in being frustrated with the GOP, believe me. ;)

FTMCPIUS

Wed May 08, 2019 2:30 pm

WarRI1 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

He started with a small loan of a million and managed to loose a billion plus.

Trump needs to 'loosen' up a bit.

Dutchy

Wed May 08, 2019 2:56 pm

bgm wrote:
If he is getting his money from the Russians, doesn't that mean he's potentially compromised?

Not IF, his company is largely financed by the Russians according to Donald Trump Jr., so that is a fact. But to answer your question, depents on whom you ask, I would say yes, a Trump supporter will say no.

Dutchy

Wed May 08, 2019 3:00 pm

afcjets wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Yes, we already know that the stock market greatly outperformed the real estate market during that time period, but go ahead and call him a bad businessman and compare his industry to another one if it makes you feel better. I guess Southwest was a bad airline in the last decade if the tech industry and companies like Facebook and Google made more.

Sorry man, if you own your own business and you can't outperform the stock market with that, then you are a bad business man. Just a guess, but I don't think you own your own business otherwise you would not make such a statement.

(he didn't just invest in real estate, he had a number of other companies in other industries)

zakuivcustom

Wed May 08, 2019 3:09 pm

Dutchy wrote:
(he didn't just invest in real estate, he had a number of other companies in other industries)

Like Trump University :duck: :duck: :duck: (Ok, there's Trump Steaks, Trump Shuttle, Trump Vodka...what else are there?)

Real Estate is ultimately 90% of Trump business either way, no getting around that.

Tugger

Wed May 08, 2019 3:17 pm

This is really more an issue with the US tax structure (and likely global as well).

You can dislike him (I sure do, he is a poor president) but for business and taxes, showing losses on paper in one way to adjust the tax burden. And anyone should want to pay as little in taxes as they can. Bloomberg has had a series of articles recently on this, this is a recent one: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... eal-estate

Property taxes and property ownership is one of the most used tools for reducing taxes owed while maintaining or increasing wealth.

The tax system needs to be adjusted for such things like this, but taxes legislated by and the rules written by people who are in general wealthy and benefit from such rules so it will be difficult to change.

Wealthy people are not actually harmed by taxes (and here is where the hordes of "conservatives", or anti-taxers/anti "big gubment-ers", or "I wanna be rich someday and don't wanna be taxed to death", or less than wealthy people who really don't understand will jump in a flame me). They just plan for it and manage their wealth and income to minimize it and continue to live a pretty damned good life.

(Of course there is that other segment of the population that is equally clueless and think that just because a few billionaires can donate hundreds of millions to some single, one time cause, that they can pay for everything they wish for endlessly, forever...).

Wealth is great to have, just pay appropriate taxes.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

Dutchy

Wed May 08, 2019 3:24 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Like Trump University :duck: :duck: :duck: (Ok, there's Trump Steaks, Trump Shuttle, Trump Vodka...what else are there?)

Real Estate is ultimately 90% of Trump business either way, no getting around that.

Don't forget Casino business, hotels and Gold Courses, not just the Real Estate but also the exploitation companies. Those are totally different risk and reward numbers than just developing and owning Real Estate.

Well actually, in recent years, he sold his name to many project without having any dealings with it.

Ken777

Wed May 08, 2019 3:35 pm

WarRI1 wrote:

Actually Daddy started him of with more than a simple million and over time funded $400+ million, financially propping him up, especially during his 6 bankruptcies. While he can hide some profits from the IRS because of real estate business there are sufficient failures, like an airline failure, casino failures and how about those Trump Steaks, As someone asked, "How do you loose money with a casino?" Trump has shown us.

I personally believe that Trump needs to hide in the Presidency because of the risks of his lenders calling loans.

Dutchy

Wed May 08, 2019 3:39 pm

BTW does anyone else feel that being good or bad in business has nothing to do with the ability to be a good politician.

Those two professions need a different skillset.

afcjets

Re: trumps losses in busines

Wed May 08, 2019 3:40 pm

Dutchy wrote:
afcjets wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Sorry man, if you own your own business and you can't outperform the stock market with that, then you are a bad business man. Just a guess, but I don't think you own your own business otherwise you would not make such a statement.

The majority of his business was in real estate, but thanks for proving my point. Robert Crandall who made American #1 in the 1980s and 90s was a terrible businessman according to you.
Last edited by afcjets on Wed May 08, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tugger

Wed May 08, 2019 3:47 pm

A good business man will show no profit every year if they can. But that is harder to do than you think. Losses one year offset profits made in another. Losses are a VERY important tool in taxes. If you can figure out who to pay for everything, pay everyone (investors, shareholders, etc.), grow the company, fund future investments, AND show no profit (or even a loss), you are better than most.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

winginit

Wed May 08, 2019 3:49 pm

You mean to tell me that Donald Trump is actually in fact bad at something that he's previously claimed to be good at? In this case business?

Absolutely shocking... said no one...

Dutchy

Wed May 08, 2019 3:50 pm

afcjets wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
afcjets wrote:

The majority of his business was in real estate, but thanks for proving my point. Robert Crandall who made American #1 in the 1980s and 90s was a terrible businessman according to you.

Perhaps you could read all the post, anyhow I didn't know who Robert Crandall was, but reading the wikipedia page, he is not an entrepreneur but an employee, he didn't own his company, so that is no comparison.

afcjets

Wed May 08, 2019 4:00 pm

Dutchy wrote:
afcjets wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Perhaps you could read all the post, anyhow I didn't know who Robert Crandall was, but reading the wikipedia page, he is not an entrepreneur but an employee, he didn't own his company, so that is no comparison.

What did I miss? Robert Crandall ran a business just like Trump did.

And just what do you think the stock market is made of? You really think businesses that perform below average are getting more capital via IPOs? If you have never heard of Bob Crandall and are on a.net that really isn’t surprising you think that.

Dutchy

Wed May 08, 2019 4:13 pm

afcjets wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
afcjets wrote:

And just what do you think the stock market is made of? You really think businesses that perform below average are getting more capital via IPOs? If you have never heard of Bob Crandall and are on a.net that really isn’t surprising you think that.

You missed that Robert Crandallwas an employee and not business owner. If you play with your own company it is a totally different thing than playing with someone else (stockholders) money. If you can't understand that, then you clearly don't know what you are talking about. I have a great respect for Richard Branson, Stelios Haji-Ioannou, Martin Schröder and others.

As for an IPO, you just spectacularly missed the point, but not quite as surprising as you would thing since you don't seem to understand what it actually is to build your own company. (Yes I can do the passive aggressive thing as well)

einsteinboricua

Wed May 08, 2019 4:30 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

Let me use aviation analogy:

crashing a plane once due to pilot error is understandable if it's the only instance you have on an otherwise spotless record; crashing various planes year after year due to pilot error is not.

BN747 wrote:
And those 'great business skills' are driving the good ship America, remain calm folks, his 'gut' will guide the nation faithfully..after looking out for himself first.

Is that an iceberg up ahead?

BN747

"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

BN747

Re: Trump's losses in business.

Wed May 08, 2019 4:31 pm

DL717 wrote:
WarRI1 wrote:
https://www.google.com/search?q=trumps+losses&oq=trumps+losses&aqs=chrome..69i57.21178j1j8&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

So he lost money with the big gamble in Atlantic City. Who cares.

They are normally called ‘investors’...

BN747

Magog

Re: Trump's losses in business

Wed May 08, 2019 4:33 pm

I'm not a mathematician, but don't about half of the companies on the stock exchange perform worse than the average - at least as far as their stock performance is concerned?

casinterest

Wed May 08, 2019 4:38 pm

Magog wrote:
I'm not a mathematician, but don't about half of the companies on the stock exchange perform worse than the average - at least as far as their stock performance is concerned?

Which average? The DJI? The Nasdaq?

That would a be a statistic issue.
Where ever you go, there you are.

afcjets

Wed May 08, 2019 4:50 pm

Dutchy wrote:
afcjets wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

You missed that Robert Crandallwas an employee and not business owner. If you play with your own company it is a totally different thing than playing with someone else (stockholders) money. If you can't understand that, then you clearly don't know what you are talking about. I have a great respect for Richard Branson, Stelios Haji-Ioannou, Martin Schröder and others.

As for an IPO, you just spectacularly missed the point, but not quite as surprising as you would thing since you don't seem to understand what it actually is to build your own company. (Yes I can do the passive aggressive thing as well)

Robert Crandall was also a shareholder and Chairman of the Board of AMR Corp in addition to being the CEO and Trump was also likely an employee of his company. The point you missed is the industry matters, some people are interested in real estate just like some people are interested in aviation. Richard Branson may have made more money in the tech industry but he is a pilot and wanted to get in the airline business. Virgin Atlantic lost almost a quarter of a billion dollars from 2010 to 2013, so I guess you feel he has no business being in business at all.
Last edited by afcjets on Wed May 08, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

afcjets

Wed May 08, 2019 4:53 pm

Magog wrote:

Yes, which is exactly the point I was making in post 43