Max Q
Topic Author

Can a British citizen use NHS benefits in the US ?

Sat May 11, 2019 1:42 am

I know this is a long shot but curious to know If a British citizen could use any kind
of national healthcare system benefits
while residing temporarily in the US ?

Perhaps there’s some kind of ‘interchange
agreement’ with some providers?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Airstud

Re: Can a British citizen use NHS benefits in the US ?

Sat May 11, 2019 5:18 am

Isn't that a question best asked of actual NHS reps?
Pancakes are delicious.

vrbarreto

Sat May 11, 2019 5:31 am

Sounds like a loaded question.. I dont think there is any sort of arrangement like the ehic card ourside of the European Union.

Chaostheory

Sat May 11, 2019 6:14 am

Unless things have changed recently, there are no reciprocal healthcare agreements between the UK (NHS) and the US.

Something worth keeping in mind with the NHS is that it is a residency based system, not contribution. As an expat, I'm not entitled to NHS healthcare. That's despite paying nearly 20k income tax last year from business interests here.

mmo

Sat May 11, 2019 8:10 am

Chaostheory wrote:
Unless things have changed recently, there are no reciprocal healthcare agreements between the UK (NHS) and the US.

Something worth keeping in mind with the NHS is that it is a residency based system, not contribution. As an expat, I'm not entitled to NHS healthcare. That's despite paying nearly 20k income tax last year from business interests here.

But, if you are visiting there you are entitled to emergency NHS treatment.

There is no provision for reciprocal agreements between the US and the UK for medical treatment.

You could always move there if you are eligible. If you are a US citizen you will pay tax either in the UK or the US on the business income. So, either way, you lose.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

bgm

Sat May 11, 2019 8:49 am

Going to the US without health insurance is a very easy way to bankrupt yourself if you have any health issues.

There is no reciprocity between the publicly funded NHS and the private for-profit US healthcare system. It would be madness if there was, as the NHS would end up paying huge sums due to costs in the US being exponentially higher.
A pilot cannot be expected to compensate for a flawed design.

Max Q
Topic Author

Sat May 11, 2019 8:50 am

Thanks for the replies, what I expected
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

max999

Sat May 11, 2019 10:38 am

Brits should really be watching out for the loss of reciprocal healthcare agreements between the UK and the rest of the EU. Many Brits traveling to the EU, who are accustomed to seamless health coverage while traveling, will be surprised NHS may no longer cover them.

Any future reciprocal agreements will depend how a Brexit deal is reached (the deal is still a big if).
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

noviorbis77

Sat May 11, 2019 11:35 am

No. A UK citizen in the US will need travel/medical insurance. A US citizen in the UK, without a NI number, will need medical insurance.

BlueberryWheats

Sat May 11, 2019 11:44 am

Is it not just common sense to have insurance on place before any trip to cover such possibilities? No matter where you are going.

JJJ

Sat May 11, 2019 12:08 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
Is it not just common sense to have insurance on place before any trip to cover such possibilities? No matter where you are going.

As long as you stay within the EU you're covered though your national healthcare provider. A lot of people have forgotten what it was like before that.

Aesma

Sat May 11, 2019 3:15 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:

I agree with that but I wonder how many people actually do it, especially in these times of cheap flights meaning you can take several trips a year, do you really think a majority of people take insurances for each one ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

noviorbis77

Sat May 11, 2019 3:44 pm

JJJ wrote:
BlueberryWheats wrote:

As long as you stay within the EU you're covered though your national healthcare provider. A lot of people have forgotten what it was like before that.

That would not cover repatriations though

anrec80

Sat May 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Aesma wrote:
BlueberryWheats wrote:

I agree with that but I wonder how many people actually do it, especially in these times of cheap flights meaning you can take several trips a year, do you really think a majority of people take insurances for each one ?

Not sure how this works in Europe, but here in the USA, US medical insurance generally will cover emergency if you are on a trip. You would still need medical evacuation coverage if you go on a cruise and something happens that would require a helicopter to get you to the shore (these are special policies). In Canada, many annual-fee travel credit cards have emergency medical coverage for unlimited trips, up to certain duration per trip. In both USA and Canada, the cheapest and easiest way to obtain those insurances is through a travel credit card. But you really need to be an expert in these products and understand what's covered and how, and how they work, where to call first, etc. Oftentimes people think they have coverage (e.g. Amex Platinum cardholders - that product is really cunning and full of gaps, but it later turns out they do not.

chimborazo

Sat May 11, 2019 4:40 pm

British here. Technically europeans need to apply for and have EHIC card when you travel in Europe to access treatment but I’m pretty sure you can get away with showing your passport. Saying that, a few years ago I had an operation in the UK and at the pre-op was requested to show passport and proof of address. They hadn’t warned me so I was mildly annoyed. But the nurse let it pass.

When I renew my travel policy I get options on world excluding USA & Canada, or including. And it goes up a fair bit to include them.

My girlfriend who is actually (usually) rather switched on surprised me when she mentioned on the plane to NYC that she didn’t have any travel insurance... she was quite blasé about it until I told her she could get stuck with tens of thousands of pounds bill if something unfortunate happened.

And as I understand it, it’s not possible to apply for and use an insurance policy when your journey has already begun.

anrec80

Sat May 11, 2019 4:54 pm

chimborazo wrote:
British here. Technically europeans need to apply for and have EHIC card when you travel in Europe to access treatment but I’m pretty sure you can get away with showing your passport. Saying that, a few years ago I had an operation in the UK and at the pre-op was requested to show passport and proof of address. They hadn’t warned me so I was mildly annoyed. But the nurse let it pass.

I would not count on just passport - the local hospital needs to know how and whom to bill. It's certainly a good and prudent thing to ensure you have proper travel medical paperwork.

chimborazo wrote:
And as I understand it, it’s not possible to apply for and use an insurance policy when your journey has already begun.

You still can, it doesn't matter. These policies come in all colors, shapes and sizes. In fact, I am living in New York on a long term travel medical policy - those are much cheaper than state-regulated Obamacare ones, and have better networks.

JJJ

Sat May 11, 2019 5:04 pm

noviorbis77 wrote:
JJJ wrote:
BlueberryWheats wrote:

That would not cover repatriations though

Because the whole concept is you'll get the same treatment locals do.

Including major surgeries if needed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rance.html

DL717

Sat May 11, 2019 6:10 pm

Max Q wrote:
I know this is a long shot but curious to know If a British citizen could use any kind
of national healthcare system benefits
while residing temporarily in the US ?

Perhaps there’s some kind of ‘interchange
agreement’ with some providers?

No. So if you come over here and need a doctor, we’ll let you die, so be careful. :roll:
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

L410Turbolet

Mon May 13, 2019 4:32 am

max999 wrote:
Many Brits traveling to the EU, who are accustomed to seamless health coverage while traveling, will be surprised NHS may no longer cover them.

One'd have to be really dumb to travel ANYWHERE abroad without decent travel insurance.

TheFlyingDisk

Mon May 13, 2019 5:42 am

L410Turbolet wrote:
max999 wrote:
Many Brits traveling to the EU, who are accustomed to seamless health coverage while traveling, will be surprised NHS may no longer cover them.

One'd have to be really dumb to travel ANYWHERE abroad without decent travel insurance.

But sometimes travel insurance doesn't really guarantee that you'll get good treatment.

Here in Malaysia, it seems that travel insurance works on a reimbursement basis, which is all good if your medical treatment is less than $100. But if it's upwards of $100,000, you'll probably die there because that's the price of a house here.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

dtw2hyd

Mon May 13, 2019 3:25 pm

Even if there is a reciprocal payment agreement, there better be an EMS standing by when NHS employee opens the invoice.

c933103

Mon May 13, 2019 10:53 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:

Sometimes people are buying travel insurances robotically and doesn't realize some expenses are not covered
This is a placeholder.

anrec80

Tue May 14, 2019 3:13 am

c933103 wrote:
Sometimes people are buying travel insurances robotically and doesn't realize some expenses are not covered

Yepp - health insurance here is complex. One extremely important thing to watch out for - pre-existing conditions. Basically, claims related to existing illnesses are not covered. And these insurances here are pretty good at excluding pre-existing conditions. E.g. if you have had heart problems and get a heart attack, this will not get covered. There are policies though that include “acute onset” of pre-existing conditions up to certain amount (20-50K), and the cost for this rider is noticeable. There are other exceptions on the policies.

Channex757

Tue May 14, 2019 8:40 am

Aesma wrote:
BlueberryWheats wrote:

Many regular travellers nowadays just use a packaged bank account where the monthly fee covers yearly travel insurance. Some credit cards offer this too.

BerenErchamion

Thu May 16, 2019 2:53 pm

anrec80 wrote:
c933103 wrote:

Yepp - health insurance here is complex. One extremely important thing to watch out for - pre-existing conditions

Not since 2014.

anrec80

Thu May 16, 2019 4:12 pm

BerenErchamion wrote:

Not since 2014.

This is true for domestic resident policies only. Travel/tourist/expatriate ones aren’t subject to these regulations.

Jetty

Tue May 21, 2019 11:13 am

anrec80 wrote:
Not sure how this works in Europe, but here in the USA, US medical insurance generally will cover emergency if you are on a trip.

This is one of the areas where European countries differ most. In The Netherlands the public scheme includes worldwide coverage for urgent medical care on temporary stays abroad regardless of reciprocity, but that isn’t true for most EU countries.

flipdewaf

Tue May 21, 2019 1:45 pm

So the question was:Can a British citizen use NHS benefits in the US ?

I am a British citizen and when I travel to the US I remain healthy and last time I took my antibiotics with me so the benefits of the NHS were and are with me wherever I travel in the world.

Fred

Channex757

Wed May 22, 2019 12:42 pm

Similarly, a US citizen applying for a visa for the UK (over six months) is required to pay £400 or £300 for students per annum. This seems to be payable up front so a 5 year visa would require a £2000 payment.

That gets you access to the NHS. All of it, not just emergency care.https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigration-application

There are quite a few categories where applicants get exemption as well.

OA260

Thu May 23, 2019 12:42 pm

max999 wrote:
Brits should really be watching out for the loss of reciprocal healthcare agreements between the UK and the rest of the EU. Many Brits traveling to the EU, who are accustomed to seamless health coverage while traveling, will be surprised NHS may no longer cover them.

Any future reciprocal agreements will depend how a Brexit deal is reached (the deal is still a big if).

Even with the current EU agreements UK citizens or any other EU citizens are mad to leave their home countries without proper health insurance. The EU reciprocal agreements are basic at best and only offer very limited cover.