caliboy93
Topic Author

Hobbies outside of aviation

Mon May 13, 2019 4:12 pm

So apparently everyone on this group has a strong interest in aviation. But what are your interests outside of aviation? Mine are hiking, reading, working out, travelling, and finding new hobbies every day.

Kno

Re: Hobbies outside of aviation

Mon May 13, 2019 4:41 pm

I LOVE music and diesel trucks. Especially the diesel pick ups of the 90s and early 00s with all of the interesting builds and modifications you can do. I go to concerts a lot. I love finding old soul records, forgotten hip-hop classics, the more soulful side of 70s rock (think Allman Brothers Sweet Melissa) all kinds of stuff.

I'm also a huge foodie and I love outdoor activities.

apodino

Mon May 13, 2019 4:47 pm

Geek Culture is a particular interest of mine and both me and my wife are Hardcore gamers. We regularly attending gaming conventions, and play games often with many friends of ours. We are in the middle of a Dungeons and Dragons campaign right now, and I like other types of RPGs as well. Aside from that, I also enjoy Golf, Roller Coasters, and Trains.

trpmb6

Mon May 13, 2019 5:47 pm

My hobbies from 2 months ago are unchanged: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1417197

jdstJD

Tue May 14, 2019 12:38 am

I ride horses. I owned an American Saddlebred a few years ago but had to sell her when I moved to a different city. Saying that broke my heart into a million pieces would be a gross understatement. I would pay whatever price demanded to get her back if I could find her.
Lawyer, frequent air traveler and aviation enthusiast.

Flyingdevil737

Tue May 14, 2019 12:45 am

For me it’s gaming and playing Bass Trombone, the latter of which takes up most of my free time.
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the very first Fokker airplane built in the world. The Dutch call it the mother Fokker.

ParkFSI

Tue May 14, 2019 2:39 am

Ham radio and growing tomatoes.

TWA772LR

Tue May 14, 2019 5:06 am

Mountain Biking, skiing, and hiking are mine. And playing video games when I'm bored, and travelling when I have the time. I also can't wait to start my permanent schedule at work so I can start working out again, which I don't really do as a hobby, but for therapy.

I also want to get back in to the music world and I dont think id be living in my apartment much longer if I picked up the trumpet again so I'm going to buy a guitar with my paycheck this week (as well as new tires for my bike so I dont almost fall off the hill again!) :)
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

cpd

Tue May 14, 2019 6:13 am

Keeping fit, but being crashed out by someone else sort of put that on hold. Recovering okay.

dik909

Tue May 14, 2019 7:16 am

Theology, textual criticism, making music (trumpet), gardening, hiking, and amateur radio (DL9JD),

melpax

Tue May 14, 2019 1:55 pm

Have gotten myself involved in Horse Racing with a few work colleagues. Now own part-shares in 4 racehorses.

The ownership experience is quite addictive & fun, you get to suit up & have a day at the races (in the member's section of course!) when your horse runs, and you get to enjoy a few drinks at the winner's bar if your horse wins. The mounting yard experience is also something the regular punter doesn't get, having a chat with the trainer & jockey & getting their post-mortem after the race.

Have also met some unexpected people through this caper - a fellow part-owner in one of 'my' horses is none other than Bruce McAvaney, for those outside Australia, he's the Aussie Bob Costas.... Had a surreal experience after one race when Bruce was giving us a rundown of his thoughts on the run, had to remind myself that I wasn't watching the TV, and Brucie was only a meter or so away! He's no different from what he's like on TV, quite a nice guy actually.
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

mbmbos

Tue May 14, 2019 6:03 pm

Reading, reading, reading. Cooking. Architecture. Graphic design.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

GalaxyFlyer

Tue May 14, 2019 8:33 pm

Breaking clays with 1 once of shot.

GF

DucatiRacer

Tue May 14, 2019 9:09 pm

Working out, reading and playing polo (equestrian).

Ken777

Wed May 15, 2019 3:49 am

A wife of 50 years

Grandkids

Fixing up an old house so I can finally sell it.

Then fixing our current old house so the wife and I can finally sell it.

Going on cruises with the wife when we can afford it while fixing up unwanted old houses

I also love reading, especially my favorite writers - about time that comes back as a thread.

EasternSon

Wed May 15, 2019 5:10 pm

I make beer and I fish, when I have time.

Two kids, demanding travel schedule, housework, etc.

But the beer is a good reward.
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

sbworcs

Wed May 15, 2019 8:54 pm

Working full-time (not a hobby), Studying part time for a Politics Degree (Only 2 years to go!), Going to the gym, travel (when possible), eating!!
The best way forwards is upwards!

flipdewaf

Thu May 16, 2019 10:04 am

jdstJD wrote:
I ride horses. I owned an American Saddlebred a few years ago but had to sell her when I moved to a different city. Saying that broke my heart into a million pieces would be a gross understatement. I would pay whatever price demanded to get her back if I could find her.

Aww, I know the feeling (kind of), had to have 2 put to sleep last year. My wife is a riding instructor and I have ridden horses all my life (less so now as I work full time). My wife currently has 4 horses and has bread 3 herself in total. We have a little one for my daughter too and she loves it (shes just turned 3). I Ride English Saddle but Have tried side as well. My wife mostly rides English but has done enough western to know what she's doing, all her horses will neck rein. What style do you ride?

Fred

jdstJD

Fri May 17, 2019 12:03 am

flipdewaf wrote:
jdstJD wrote:

Aww, I know the feeling (kind of), had to have 2 put to sleep last year. My wife is a riding instructor and I have ridden horses all my life (less so now as I work full time). My wife currently has 4 horses and has bread 3 herself in total. We have a little one for my daughter too and she loves it (shes just turned 3). I Ride English Saddle but Have tried side as well. My wife mostly rides English but has done enough western to know what she's doing, all her horses will neck rein. What style do you ride?

Fred

Western. I’ve dabbled in English but my horse was just not well suited for English riding. Besides that, I just loved taking my horse (her name is Cherokee Maiden) out to a field and letting her open up into a full gallop. No better feeling of freedom in the world. Ive even done a little barrel racing, but it was really just for fun among us friends at the stables, never in any competitions. I’ve considered investing in another horse but I just don’t want another one...it won’t be Cherokee.
Lawyer, frequent air traveler and aviation enthusiast.

SL1200MK2

Sat May 18, 2019 11:02 pm

I’ve always been interested in what you all do outside of aviation.

For me, I’m pretty involved in deejaying, hence my screen name here. While most are now using digital tools these days, I still play on vinyl. Generally, I play a style called electro, which is sort of like the breakdance music from the 80s with robotic voices and heavy bass lines.

I also love baking, restoring things in my apartment and being social.

triple3driver

Tue May 21, 2019 5:17 pm

Cars, I even own a fancy sports car myself which I use when I'm home. Nothing super crazy, it's no Ferrari or McLaren or Lambo ofc, but it's a fantastic thing, driving it is my 3rd favorite activity after flying and spending time with family. I'm also a big Star Wars fan and love reading, as well as singing.
I have no special talents, just a passion for flying

Kno

Wed May 22, 2019 4:05 am

triple3driver wrote:
Cars, I even own a fancy sports car myself which I use when I'm home. Nothing super crazy, it's no Ferrari or McLaren or Lambo ofc, but it's a fantastic thing, driving it is my 3rd favorite activity after flying and spending time with family. I'm also a big Star Wars fan and love reading, as well as singing.

Come on tell us what kind of sports car you have! Don’t leave us hanging.

Jouhou

Wed May 22, 2019 4:51 am

Architecture and urbanism, biology, travel

Listening to music is common and I'm not sure if counts as a "hobby" but I love metal and punk music and some random stuff from most genres except for country music.

kellyon

Wed May 22, 2019 7:54 am

After full-time job I have time only for gaming. It's my main hobby right now. Want to take part in pto tournamnets in the future. It's quite entertaining.

triple3driver

Wed May 22, 2019 2:32 pm

Kno wrote:
triple3driver wrote:

Come on tell us what kind of sports car you have! Don’t leave us hanging.

It's a 2018 bright orange Corvette, got it at a Christmas sale in December. I was originally going to go for something cheaper, but the discounts that my local dealer was offering on 2018 models were crazy, guess everyone wanted the '19 ones. But hey, I'm not complaining.

N14AZ

Wed May 22, 2019 5:52 pm

EasternSon wrote:
I make beer.

Wow, never heard of such an hobby. What is the scale of your „brewery“?

fallap

Wed May 22, 2019 7:25 pm

Books, mixing drinks (bought a drink mixer set and a recipe book) FYI: 11 AM Tuesday is a perfect time to sip a whiskey sour, working out, women, museums, theatres, travel.
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

Max Q

Wed May 22, 2019 8:31 pm

Never seen women listed as a hobby..
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

N14AZ

Wed May 22, 2019 8:37 pm

Max Q wrote:
Never seen women listed as a hobby..

True, a hobby should be fun only! Maybe Fallap wrote wombats but autocorrect changed it into women. The only explanation I can think of... :D

kellyon

Thu May 23, 2019 8:08 am

kellyon wrote:
After full-time job I have time only for gaming. It's my main hobby right now. Want to take part in pto tournamnets in the future. It's quite entertaining.

For that purpose I use apex esport platform so now I can play with other pro gamers. I think it's a great way to relax and have some fun. I know that some gamers even earn money while playing Apex Legends.

EasternSon

Thu May 23, 2019 5:38 pm

N14AZ wrote:
EasternSon wrote:
I make beer.

Wow, never heard of such an hobby. What is the scale of your „brewery“?

Homebrewing is actually pretty popular in the United States. It's pretty fun and easy to get into. It even makes my alcohol dependency look like a fun hobby! :D

I make 5 gallon batches from malt extract kits that I either order online, or at my local homebrew shop. Extract brewing is quick and easy, and can produce pretty good results.

I'm a total neophyte. There are folks who spend thousands of dollars on elaborate setups to do all-grain brewing (like the pros). Maybe I will one day, but I don't have enough time or space to dedicate at the moment.

A small-scale micro brewery and tasting room would be the plan for after retirement.
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

B777LRF

Fri May 24, 2019 7:20 am

Motor racing and sailing. Been sailing since I was 7, and currently own a 16' Hobie Cat and a 28' Chris-Craft Corsair. Was a fairly talented go-cart driver in my youth, but not nearly good enough to make it professionally. Also didn't help coming from a country with very little motor racing heritage, meaning sponsorships were few and far between, and being of the same age group as two guys who'd later go on to drive F1 and win Le Mans races - they were (and are) exceedingly talented and rightfully sucked damn near every sponsor shekel available. Still dabble a bit in racing, but haven't got my own racer any more - favourite pasttime these days is a road trip to Nurburgring, and hire a race prepared rice rocket. Otherwise its as a spectator these days, mainly following F1 and WEC, but will happily attend a race with 1.0 litre Ford Fiesta's trading paint and body work.
Signature. You just read one.

aerorobnz

Sat May 25, 2019 1:03 pm

I love cars, especially if they have high powered NA engines. I like to Scuba dive, Snorkel, taking wildlife and landscape photos. I listen to Metallica and spend all my disposable income on travelling. I used to enjoy F1 before they made all those stupid changes around 2005 that resulted in them sounding like Dyson vacuums. I love parrots both in captivity and in the wild and have been fortunate enough to see some very rare species around the world. I am never happier than being as far away from in the wilderness as possible.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Americanil96

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:05 am

Choir (I'm a Baritone), watching T.V., Playing on my PS4, surfing the web (i.e. Reddit, Instagram, Twitter, Airliners.net,Youtube,Etc), listening to music and hanging out friends. those things, along with Aviation, make me happy :D
Rawr

Aaron747

Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:09 am

Travel, P3D simming and scenery design, Nonfiction reading, Urban wayfinding, Bass guitar, Google Mapping (my fiance and I will often pick a relatively unknown place with Sunday morning coffee and spend 30-40 min exploring - last weekend was Almaty), Middle Eastern & Mexican cooking
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

BlueSky1976

Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:27 pm

Cycling, running, hiking, trekking, some very amateur photography, aviation modeling in 1/48 scale, movies, music on vinyl and books. Back in the day I used to be active Flight Sim 2004 user and a DJ, gave it up some time ago due to so-called "life". I learned to play some guitar chords at the age of 40, continue practicing, but no luck with solos or riffs yet...
Tarriffs are taxes. Taxation is theft. You are not entitled to anything.
If it's a Boeing, I'm not going.

Classa64

Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:13 am

Race my car 3-4 times a year for fun, gets a bit expensive for tires, brakes and track fees but since its my only Hobie per say It does me just right. Great for stress. I guess my other hobie is just driving for pleasure, its the one thing I truly enjoy.
"Freedom is the miles i'm rolling on"

triple3driver

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:17 am

Americanil96 wrote:
Choir (I'm a Baritone), watching T.V., Playing on my PS4, surfing the web (i.e. Reddit, Instagram, Twitter, Airliners.net,Youtube,Etc), listening to music and hanging out friends. those things, along with Aviation, make me happy :D

I was in Men's Chorus during my high school career, also a baritone. I don't want to brag or anything, but we did some sick barbershops, not just barbershops, but those were my favorite.

PHLspecial

Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:08 pm

I love talking about public transit and enjoy watching race cars, weird combo I know. Food tasting and traveling is pretty much all I have.

kellyon

Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:37 pm

Fishing, playng tennis with friends, sometimes playing video games too

Mike89406

Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:32 am

I love hiking small mountains, camping and I’m an amateur Astronomer I usually go far as I can from the light pollution in SoCal that’s the desert with my telescope and observe deep space objects, planets, star clusters etc..
I also read books on Astrophysics or Cosmology (Study of the Cosmos).

HectorWright

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:48 pm

Here are my hobbies hiking, watching TV and working out, also cooking sometimes.

Americanil96

Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:49 pm

triple3driver wrote:
Americanil96 wrote:

I was in Men's Chorus during my high school career, also a baritone. I don't want to brag or anything, but we did some sick barbershops, not just barbershops, but those were my favorite.

yessir
Rawr

XAMTO

Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:05 am

I enjoy collecting older US Currency (Series 1981A and earlier) as well as collecting silver coins from 1964 and earlier. I also like to listen to my shortwave radio during the night as well as DX on the AM band to see how many distant AM stations I can get.
Flown: ARJ85, ATR42, A319, A320, A321, B712, 722, 731, 732, 733, 734, 73G, 738, 739 (Non-ER), 752, 753, 764, CRJ, CRJ900, Dash8, Dash8Q-400, D93, D95, E120, ERJ, E190, Fokker F100, MD81, MD82, MD83, MD88, MD90, Sukhoi SU-95 Superjet

fallap

Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:35 am

Books and alcohol, sometimes travelling, often in combination.
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

jovelson

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:03 am

I love watching movies, hiking, camping and off-roading. I have a 05 Wrangler TJ as my off-road rig. I installed aftermarket jeep accessories on it including a rock slider, lift kit, tire carrier and a lot more.