enilria
Topic Author

TSA To Deploy 100s to the Border Including Air Marshals

Wed May 15, 2019 3:54 pm

What's the effect on aviation? Coupled with the transfer of CBP officers? And what effect on immigrants from having to take off their shoes? :roll:

It sounds like initially this might be from the TSA group that goes to stadiums and such?

TSA plans for the deployments to involve up to 175 law enforcement officials and as many as "400 people from Security Ops," according to two sources and the email. At least initially, the efforts will not involve uniformed airport screeners, according to the email, which says that some parts of TSA would be asked to contribute "around 10%" of its workforce.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/15/politics ... index.html

CobaltScar

Re: TSA To Deploy 100s to the Border Including Air Marshals

Wed May 15, 2019 3:57 pm

Good , more control at the boarder is better to stop illegal activities and contraband. If it leads to longer lines there (and at airports), then perhaps we can all come up with another solution to secure the boarder that does not require as many human guards. I hear there are a few ideas floating around.

MoonC

Wed May 15, 2019 4:19 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
Good , more control at the boarder is better to stop illegal activities and contraband. If it leads to longer lines there (and at airports), then perhaps we can all come up with another solution to secure the boarder that does not require as many human guards. I hear there are a few ideas floating around.

Is this a pun made on purpose or did you just misspell "border" twice in the same breath?

LAXBUR

Wed May 15, 2019 4:21 pm

CobaltScar wrote:

Interesting that folks obsessed with border control rarely know how to spell it.

robsaw

Wed May 15, 2019 4:25 pm

The worry is that these staff are being redeployed from the northern border (i.e. Canada), which may mean longer line-ups entering the US from land or air pre-clearance. Northern US states have already expressed concern about the impact on travel and business.

enilria
Topic Author

Wed May 15, 2019 4:26 pm

enilria wrote:
What's the effect on aviation? Coupled with the transfer of CBP officers? And what effect on immigrants from having to take off their shoes? :roll:

It sounds like initially this might be from the TSA group that goes to stadiums and such?

TSA plans for the deployments to involve up to 175 law enforcement officials and as many as "400 people from Security Ops," according to two sources and the email. At least initially, the efforts will not involve uniformed airport screeners, according to the email, which says that some parts of TSA would be asked to contribute "around 10%" of its workforce.

I hope this isn't just a scam to funnel more money into TSA.

PSAatSAN4Ever

MoonC wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:

Is this a pun made on purpose or did you just misspell "border" twice in the same breath?

Yeah, that was my first thought, too - along with the counting of grammatical mistakes. Not to mention the seemingly never-ending reaction to "the borders", assuming that all drugs and "illegals" come in via land ports. You could put every law enforcement agent in the U.S. along the border, and the vast majority of contraband would still come in via the ports, and the majority of those who don't have permission would be those who overstayed their visa. But by all means, focus on one area as red meat for supporters of "law and order".

This belongs in non-aviation - I suggest to the moderators that it be moved.

many321

TSA? :rotfl: :rotfl:

Seem some in the government are throwing money willy nilly for fun.

Confuscius

Wed May 15, 2019 4:34 pm

enilria wrote:

Perhaps Mexico is paying for this.
Ain't I a stinker?

enilria
Topic Author

Wed May 15, 2019 4:35 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
This belongs in non-aviation - I suggest to the moderators that it be moved.

TSA and CBP staffing being reduced at airports is non-aviation? Tell ACI that. They are going ballistic over this.

Chemist

Wed May 15, 2019 4:40 pm

enilria wrote:
enilria wrote:

I just can't imagine a scam in our current government. :eyepopping:

BaconButty

Wed May 15, 2019 4:59 pm

MoonC wrote:

Maybe he really hates the pupils at residential schools.
Down with that sort of thing!

bennett123

Wed May 15, 2019 5:02 pm

I thought that your border issue was with Mexico not Canada.

usxguy

Wed May 15, 2019 5:39 pm

And of course politics gets drawn into this.

I thought liberals were against bullying? Or was that only when they are being bullied?

I cross the border more times in a month than people do in their lifetime. What's happening along the US-Mexico border is absurd *and* a crisis. If this were the airports, airlines would be standing up and demanding the SAME treatment for border crossings as air crossings.

Did you know, if an airline gets *1* letter off in the APIS submission (passenger name, gender, passport) - its a $5,000 USD fine?

Did you know if an airline employee boards a passenger to the US who is NOT eligible to be here, or have the proper paperwork, the airline *must* pay for transportation BACK to the point of origin?
xx

einsteinboricua

Wed May 15, 2019 6:21 pm

usxguy wrote:
Did you know if an airline employee boards a passenger to the US who is NOT eligible to be here, or have the proper paperwork, the airline *must* pay for transportation BACK to the point of origin?

Did you know that an airline doesn't know what a person's intentions are and that if the person presents proper paperwork and then overstays their visa (thus becoming illegal), the airline has no way to answer for this nor should it? By this logic, we must fine gun manufacturers whose guns are involved in massacres (they enabled the killing in the first place).
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Starfuryt

Wed May 15, 2019 6:23 pm

This should be moved to non-av, since it will deteriorate quickly.

wanderlustlax

Wed May 15, 2019 6:53 pm

They've been so effective at airports, so they're moving them to the border? God help us all. Security theater and crotch grabbing, coming to a border town near you!

slvrblt

Wed May 15, 2019 7:32 pm

enilria wrote:

I haven't seen any effect from lack of TSA officers but CBP is a whole other matter. Queues at FIS in MIA have been hours long due to the lack of CBP officers to process incoming passengers. And we have been told they've had a bunch of CBP officers sent to the borders. In the meantime, flights are in on-time or early, but all the connecting passengers miss their connections because they can't get out of the FIS in time. Some days its hundreds of passengers. And what with the flight loads being so heavy now, there's no where to re-book these people. Let me just say - it's NOT pretty.
..everything works out in the end.

CobaltScar

Wed May 15, 2019 7:33 pm

LAXBUR wrote:
CobaltScar wrote:

Interesting that folks obsessed with border control rarely know how to spell it.

Which side of the border and debate are you referring to? Actually might apply to both :P

WIederling

Thu May 16, 2019 9:06 am

CobaltScar wrote:

South Korea may have quite a bit of surplus stuff available in the near to midterm future.
( I've heard that shooting, bombing, burning is the perfect solution to such problems.)
Murphy is an optimist

enilria
Topic Author

Thu May 16, 2019 1:06 pm

slvrblt wrote:
enilria wrote:

I haven't seen any effect from lack of TSA officers but CBP is a whole other matter. Queues at FIS in MIA have been hours long due to the lack of CBP officers to process incoming passengers. And we have been told they've had a bunch of CBP officers sent to the borders. In the meantime, flights are in on-time or early, but all the connecting passengers miss their connections because they can't get out of the FIS in time. Some days its hundreds of passengers. And what with the flight loads being so heavy now, there's no where to re-book these people. Let me just say - it's NOT pretty.

That's awful. Are kiosks fully deployed there?

usxguy

Thu May 16, 2019 2:42 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
usxguy wrote:

Did you know that an airline doesn't know what a person's intentions are and that if the person presents proper paperwork and then overstays their visa (thus becoming illegal), the airline has no way to answer for this nor should it? By this logic, we must fine gun manufacturers whose guns are involved in massacres (they enabled the killing in the first place).

You'd be surprised how few airlines subscribe to TIMATIC and verify visa or exemptions for inbound US travelers. At least by air, we hope, the passengers at least have documentation.

The US's biggest immigration flaw is the ability to track ovetstays. I cant tell you how many times my staff would misplace the lil blue exit cards we were to collect at checkin for departures from non US citizens....
xx

apodino

Thu May 16, 2019 3:26 pm

I get the need to do something on the border, but TSA can barely secure our airports, how are they going to be effective on the border?

slvrblt

Thu May 16, 2019 8:09 pm

enilria wrote:
slvrblt wrote:
enilria wrote:

That's awful. Are kiosks fully deployed there?

Yes, there are kiosks. I don't know how effective they are.......... I know most Latinos don't like to use kiosks.
..everything works out in the end.

BerenErchamion

Thu May 16, 2019 9:00 pm

CobaltScar wrote:
we can all come up with another solution to secure the boarde

Why is that something that needs to be done? I see no reason why an arbitrary and morally-irrelevant line on a map is worth worrying about.

melpax

Sun May 19, 2019 7:08 am

slvrblt wrote:
Yes, there are kiosks. I don't know how effective they are.......... I know most Latinos don't like to use kiosks.

From personal experience, the kiosks don't always let you through. Have been given 'the cross' when using them at both LAX & IAH, which meant having to wait in line. At IAH, that meant a 2 hour or so wait...
Essendon - Whatever it takes......