atomicstar
Topic Author

Why do people believe the Earth is flat?

Wed May 15, 2019 9:35 pm

I never understood about this.

• If you have been on a airliner, it flies high enough that you can see the Earth is round
  • There has never been a case of someone falling off the edge of the Earth (because this is not possible)

flipdewaf

Re: Why do people believe the Earth is flat?

Wed May 15, 2019 9:39 pm

I think mostly it’s lonely people trying to get attention through being contrarian. It’s almost like teenage ‘goths’ trying to be different.

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueberryWheats

Wed May 15, 2019 9:39 pm

Well yeah, there's those reasons, but also...

- gravity
- time zones
- the moon and the tides
- round the world trips that are all eastbound or westbound and end up back at the starting point
- and MUCH more

How do they explain all that?

Tugger

Wed May 15, 2019 9:49 pm

We live in the age of trolls, and this is one of the ultimate trolls.

It is soooo stupid that people will undoubtedly respond and that is all trolls want. So they say "FLAT!!!" and sit back and enjoy the attnetion they get as others try to educate them.

Of course morons do need countering so there isn't much to otherwise do.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Aaron747

Wed May 15, 2019 9:49 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
Well yeah, there's those reasons, but also...

- gravity
- time zones
- the moon and the tides
- round the world trips that are all eastbound or westbound and end up back at the starting point
- and MUCH more

How do they explain all that?

They explain all with this :lol:

If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

NoTime

Wed May 15, 2019 10:29 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
I think mostly it’s lonely people trying to get attention through being contrarian. It’s almost like teenage ‘goths’ trying to be different.

Fred

Yep. This.

BN747

Thu May 16, 2019 12:46 am

But. but, but ..has anyone been to the edge?

I've searched youtube, but vids of everything BUT that.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

casinterest

Thu May 16, 2019 1:22 am

People believe the earth is flat because they want to be stupid and defiant. It also pays well on Youtube when you get a lot of challengers.
Where ever you go, there you are.

frmrCapCadet

Thu May 16, 2019 2:14 am

alles relativ
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

TSS

Thu May 16, 2019 3:18 am

flipdewaf wrote:

The best explanation of the phenomenon I've read yet.

Tugger wrote:

It is soooo stupid that people will undoubtedly respond and that is all trolls want. So they say "FLAT!!!" and sit back and enjoy the attnetion they get as others try to educate them.

All true, but the problem is that genuinely stupid/ignorant/gullible people get taken in by the "Flat Earth" malarkey, accept it as gospel, and really dig in their heels whenever anyone challenges them on their belief no matter how much verifiable factual information the challenger offers as proof.

A hilarious subset of Flat Earthers who were also created by a troll that was taken seriously are the people who believe that Australia does not exist and that it is an elaborate lie created by the British government to cover up the mass murder of hundreds of thousands of convicts.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

scbriml

Thu May 16, 2019 6:20 am

BN747 wrote:

BN747

Oh come on! You obviously haven't watched enough videos, otherwise you'd know the ice wall keeps us safe (they have pictures of it) and of course, if anyone tries to get to to it "they" will stop you. No, I don't know who "they" are. It's all a huge NASA-led conspiracy that every government is part of and it's all designed to hide the truth from us all. Thank goodness we have these brave warriors to show us.

Or, they're a bunch of idiots who don't understand science and are very bad at maths. Holy shit, a man with a stick calculated the circumference of Earth well over 2,000 years ago, but these idiots are still living in the dark ages.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Dutchy

Thu May 16, 2019 7:57 am

scbriml wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

Oh come on! You obviously haven't watched enough videos, otherwise you'd know the ice wall keeps us safe (they have pictures of it) and of course, if anyone tries to get to to it "they" will stop you. No, I don't know who "they" are. It's all a huge NASA-led conspiracy that every government is part of and it's all designed to hide the truth from us all. Thank goodness we have these brave warriors to show us.

Or, they're a bunch of idiots who don't understand science and are very bad at maths. Holy shit, a man with a stick calculated the circumference of Earth well over 2,000 years ago, but these idiots are still living in the dark ages.

Even 2.500years ago. They indeed did also quite a good job in calculated the circumference of the earth. So these flat earthers are flatly denying 2.500years of science. Whatever does float your boat I guess.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

BlueberryWheats

Thu May 16, 2019 8:11 am

scbriml wrote:
No, I don't know who "they" are

The DVD, obviously.

dik909

Thu May 16, 2019 8:12 am

Dutchy wrote:
Even 2.500years ago. They indeed did also quite a good job in calculated the circumference of the earth. So these flat earthers are flatly denying 2.500years of science. Whatever does float your boat I guess.

I brought up Eratosthenes' experiment to a flat earther I know and his response was, "The sun is much closer than we are told." :roll:

But seriously, everyone knows that the earth isn't flat - it's hollow, and there's currently going on a battle over the entrances to middle earth at both the north & south poles. This is why there are no satellite photos of the north pole.. :rotfl:

Airstud

Thu May 16, 2019 8:29 am

atomicstar wrote:
Why do people believe the Earth is flat?

Toaster strudel.

(Mmmmmmmmm, toaster strudel...)
Pancakes are delicious.

scbriml

Thu May 16, 2019 8:31 am

BlueberryWheats wrote:
scbriml wrote:

The DVD, obviously.

OMG, it’s all starting to make sense! :rotfl:
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

B777LRF

Thu May 16, 2019 8:37 am

Some people believe in holistic medication; that a sky fairy built the earth in 6 days; that eating meat on a friday is bad for you; that failure to pray 5 times of day will deny you entry to heaven; that 9/11 was all a conspiracy; that Elvis is still alive; that the moon landings were fake; that a group of aliens live inside a volcano; that the position of stars dictate how your day will go. And so far and so forth.

Human being willingly stupid is nothing new, and nothing a modern society will change - they'll just stupid out over something even more outlandish than their predecessors.
Signature. You just read one.

Francoflier

Thu May 16, 2019 8:40 am

This might provide some explanation (for this and a lot of other things...):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJqkzwAqT_k
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Dutchy

Thu May 16, 2019 8:49 am

dik909 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

I brought up Eratosthenes' experiment to a flat earther I know and his response was, "The sun is much closer than we are told." :roll:

But seriously, everyone knows that the earth isn't flat - it's hollow, and there's currently going on a battle over the entrances to middle earth at both the north & south poles. This is why there are no satellite photos of the north pole.. :rotfl:

Are you sure about that? I thought the earth was ruled by the lizard people and that's why we see all these kind of crazy things happening.

Dutchy

Thu May 16, 2019 8:51 am

scbriml wrote:
BlueberryWheats wrote:
scbriml wrote:

The DVD, obviously.

OMG, it’s all starting to make sense! :rotfl:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I miss our old friend ;)

scbriml

Thu May 16, 2019 9:01 am

dik909 wrote:

Ah yes, the 6,000 mile away sun, rotating above the flat Earth, illuminating it like a desk lamp.

The biggest issue I have with FEers is they don’t use the brains they have to question what they observe with their own eyes every single day.

If The ‘desk lamp’ sun hypothesis were correct, a tall building would be illuminated from the bottom up at sun ‘rise’ and would become dark from the top down at sun ‘set’. I’m sure the simply observable opposite would be explained away as “perspective”. :banghead:

dik909

Thu May 16, 2019 9:09 am

scbriml wrote:
The biggest issue I have with FEers is they don’t use the brains they have to question what they observe with their own eyes every single day.

Hearing ya. I blame it on the popular misconception that literacy equals intelligence. Sorry, no. From the fact that one can read and write, it doesn't follow that one is a critical thinker.

flipdewaf

Thu May 16, 2019 9:22 am

It was written in a book that some people think its flat, those people existed and therefore what they said is true. Must be flat.

Fred

Aesma

Thu May 16, 2019 10:21 am

flipdewaf wrote:

Fred

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aka attention whores.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

scbriml

Thu May 16, 2019 11:51 am

flipdewaf wrote:
It was written in a book that some people think its flat, those people existed and therefore what they said is true. Must be flat.

Fred

Ooh, I see what you did there!

P1aneMad

Thu May 16, 2019 1:15 pm

There are people who believe that Marxism works so why wouldn't be some who believe that the Earth is flat or that the universe was created in 6 days by a divine entity?

BN747

Thu May 16, 2019 2:32 pm

scbriml wrote:
dik909 wrote:

Ah yes, the 6,000 mile away sun, rotating above the flat Earth, illuminating it like a desk lamp.

If The ‘desk lamp’ sun hypothesis were correct, a tall building would be illuminated from the bottom up at sun ‘rise’ and would become dark from the top down at sun ‘set’. I’m sure the simply observable opposite would be explained away as “perspective”. :banghead:

Good point! How exactly would 'night' occur in the first place? Someone pulls the night light switch? Or does the disk flip away from the Sun?

...and if the Sun is 6000 miles away, the moon what? 600 miles away? And where is Mercury and Venus? And is Jupiter flat as well???

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

meecrob

Thu May 16, 2019 10:04 pm

BN747 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
dik909 wrote:

Good point! How exactly would 'night' occur in the first place? Someone pulls the night light switch? Or does the disk flip away from the Sun?

...and if the Sun is 6000 miles away, the moon what? 600 miles away? And where is Mercury and Venus? And is Jupiter flat as well???

BN747

No, they readily admit the other planets and the sun are spheroids...only the earth is flat. And some still think its the centre (screw you, I'm Canadian, we spell things like ze francais) of the solar system...or universe depending on what nutjob you watch. I wish there was an emoji that was worse than banging my head into a wall...maybe shooting myself in the face emoji? I can't believe the mental gymnastics that happens.
Last edited by meecrob on Thu May 16, 2019 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BN747

Thu May 16, 2019 10:07 pm

meecrob wrote:
BN747 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

BN747

No, they readily admit the other planets and the sun are spheroids...but only the earth is flat. And some still think its the centre of the solar system...or universe depending on what nutjob you watch. I wish there was an emoji that was worse than banging my head into a wall...maybe shooting myself in the face emoji? I can't believe the mental gymnastics that happens.

Exactly! Np kidding!

BN747

meecrob

Thu May 16, 2019 10:14 pm

BN747 wrote:
meecrob wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

No, they readily admit the other planets and the sun are spheroids...but only the earth is flat. And some still think its the centre of the solar system...or universe depending on what nutjob you watch. I wish there was an emoji that was worse than banging my head into a wall...maybe shooting myself in the face emoji? I can't believe the mental gymnastics that happens.

Exactly! Np kidding!

BN747

There is a youtube video my search skills evidently aren't honed enough to find, but it was a skeptic at a flat earthers conference and they asked if Mars was flat and the person replied as if the interviewer was in kindergarten, " Uh of course mars is round...like we aren't stupid"

BN747

Thu May 16, 2019 10:17 pm

meecrob wrote:
BN747 wrote:
meecrob wrote:

Exactly! Np kidding!

BN747

There is a youtube video my search skills evidently aren't honed enough to find, but it was a skeptic at a flat earthers conference and they asked if Mars was flat and the person replied as if the interviewer was in kindergarten, " Uh of course mars is round...like we aren't stupid"

Oh jeez!...he would have been the perfect candidate to send and meet the aliens in 'Contact'. Like I said, why not send a moron.

BN747

atomicstar
Topic Author

Fri May 17, 2019 10:12 pm

Also, another fact to think of, the most accurate world map is a globe. You cannot accurately map the world using a flat map because the Earth is a sphere. Therefore, flat maps are made to be close to the shapes of Earth’s surface, but not entirely accurate.

LMP737

Fri May 17, 2019 10:45 pm

Tugger wrote:

Tugg

That's a rather accurate analysis of it. With the internet it makes it that much easier.

Then of course there are the people who think they're all of a sudden smarter than every scientist who ever existed because they saw a youtube video saying the earth was flat. Both the trolls and the true believers get far more attention than they should. All thanks to the internet.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

KentB27

Sun May 19, 2019 2:37 pm

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the Netflix documentary "Behind the Curve". It's a documentary about flat earthers. It's pretty hilarious and there are a lot of moments where I was laughing out loud at the absurd crap these flat earthers were saying. The people who made this documentary also very subtly make fun of the flat earthers in the documentary. Also, this guy name Matt who claims to be the founder of the flat earth movement is one of the biggest whack jobs I have ever witnessed. I highly encourage anyone who wants a good laugh or at the very least, 96 minutes of entertainment to watch "Behind the Curve".

stratclub

Sun May 19, 2019 7:24 pm

I think that more and more feelings are more important than critical thinking and a flat earth construct gives people something to feel good about. It's like actual facts make me feel bad so they are invalid.

Dutchy

Sun May 19, 2019 8:46 pm

atomicstar wrote:
I never understood about this.

• If you have been on a airliner, it flies high enough that you can see the Earth is round
  • There has never been a case of someone falling off the edge of the Earth (because this is not possible)

This might give you some inside :D

StarAC17

Wed May 22, 2019 12:35 pm

scbriml wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

If you haven't seen "Behind the Curve" on Netflix, it is a good watch to get into the psychology of Flat Earther's. They tend to be conspiracy types who believe that Sandy Hook was faked, 9/11 was an inside job and The Moon Landing was done on a sound stage.

In the above documentary they get into the Dunning-Kruger effect with the flat earthers that they follow around. But their is an interesting debate is that are scientists and others supposed to coddle or ridicule these people. They make the argument in Behind the Curve that the science community needs to be more engaging with Flat Earthers where others like Neil Degrasse Tyson and Bill Nye have had enough of the anti science movement.

To give this argument a good ribbing watch this youtube video. There are 5 parts but I have only posted part one, this guy rips apart everything that Flat Eathers argue and its really funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgY8zNZ35uw

Also this is another Youtube channel all here should follow as he is a pilot and would bet is a member here.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Wolfie6020
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

scbriml

Wed May 22, 2019 4:08 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
In the above documentary they get into the Dunning-Kruger effect with the flat earthers that they follow around. But their is an interesting debate is that are scientists and others supposed to coddle or ridicule these people. They make the argument in Behind the Curve that the science community needs to be more engaging with Flat Earthers where others like Neil Degrasse Tyson and Bill Nye have had enough of the anti science movement.

For me, this was the most thought-provoking part of Behind The Curve.

I'll admit I have previously been very critical of FEers, but I can see the benefit in trying to engage and mentor them to promote more critical thinking on their part. However, for every reasonable FEer, there seems to be ten who are convinced that everything is a big NASA conspiracy lie and when presented with scientific evidence to refute their thinking, will simply dismiss it as "fake" or "doctored". They may be beyond saving.

Even after spending $20k on a laser gyroscope which proved to them beyond doubt that the Earth rotates 15deg every hour, they're still in denial and fighting to find an 'experiment' that will refute the Earth's rotation.

Tugger

Wed May 22, 2019 8:44 pm

The simple answer is that there is a micro-blackhole directly above earth's north pole and it has forced the sun to orbit around it and also is what caused the earth rip apart and become flat!

Simple. Duh. Any moron could have figured that out....

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Kilopond

Wed May 22, 2019 9:41 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
I think mostly it’s lonely people trying to get attention through being contrarian. It’s almost like teenage ‘goths’ trying to be different.[...]

You are absolutely right! And keep in mind that since the bronze age the more or less educated part of mankind had been aware of the fact that Earth is a SPHERE. The alleged belief in a "flat Earth" during the "dark middle ages" is a historical lie. Among others, Soviet Communists loved to spread this kind of misinformation in order to appear as saviours and the lone keepers ot truth.

SmithAir747

Wed May 22, 2019 9:43 pm

The University of Sussex's own Flat Earth Society will host an event at The Globe pub in Brighton (UK):

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1765569 ... globe-pub/

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

OriginalFalcon

Tue May 28, 2019 3:52 pm

:D I have no idea why, but people all around the globe believe it.

vrbarreto

Tue May 28, 2019 5:24 pm

Hahahaha. The earth is flat... Crazy people. Everyone knows it's hollow. Just ask the moon nazis.

Erebus

Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:03 am

Why?

To have an ARGUMENT.

Jalap

Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:04 pm

stratclub wrote:
I think that more and more feelings are more important than critical thinking and a flat earth construct gives people something to feel good about. It's like actual facts make me feel bad so they are invalid.

This.
People are losing their trust in science, see fake news and conspiracies everywhere. Populist politicians and certain media are feeding this tendency.
If you don’t trust anyting or anybody, your understanding of the world will be thrown back to the stone age.
It’s not hard to imagine why this is a golden opportunity for certain politicians... . “Trust me, because I trust nobody”.

Airstud

Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:43 am

Tugger wrote:
Any moron could have figured that out....

Tugg

...but not anyone else.
Pancakes are delicious.

jordanh

Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:18 pm

flipdewaf wrote:

Fred

You mean like the people who post things on this website, sometimes claiming to be Democrats and liberal, but they have other names where they are conservative and Republican? It seems like the same personality defect.

NoTime

Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:49 pm

Jalap wrote:
People are losing their trust in science, see fake news and conspiracies everywhere. Populist politicians and certain media are feeding this tendency.

There's a lot of truth in your statement. But, to be fair, a portion of it is self-inflicted.

When...

1) Many scientific experiments/results can't be reproduced (https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-39054778 | https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replication_crisis)
2) Science Journals publish garbage and nonsense (https://www.theguardian.com/higher-educ ... fake-paper | https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... apers.html)
3) SJW's are claiming that things like MATH and scientific objectivity are racist and/or promote whiteness (https://www.nationalreview.com/2017/10/ ... professor/ | https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10658)

...you can't really blame the general public for losing at least a little bit of faith.

But, back to the subject at hand - it boggles the mind that people continue to push the flat earth theory when there are homemade videos of cameras attached to weather balloons, that show the complete ascent (and corresponding curvature of the earth) and, when there are experiments that even kids can complete that prove the earth is round.

HectorWright

Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:22 pm

Tugger wrote:

Tugg

I completely agree.

einsteinboricua

Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:47 pm

Probably for the same reason they don't believe in climate change: what they perceive is what they believe is true. So if it's colder than usual in their area, there's no such thing as climate change (even if other parts of the world are experiencing historic droughts or heat waves).

And if all I see is flatness, then Earth is flat and that's it.

NoTime wrote:
But, back to the subject at hand - it boggles the mind that people continue to push the flat earth theory when there are homemade videos of cameras attached to weather balloons, that show the complete ascent (and corresponding curvature of the earth) and, when there are experiments that even kids can complete that prove the earth is round.

Bah...that's just video editing to prove a point. FAKE!!!
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."