Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tommy1808

Re: Why do people believe the Earth is flat?

Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:24 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
BN747 wrote:
But. but, but ..has anyone been to the edge?

I've searched youtube, but vids of everything BUT that.

BN747

Oh come on! You obviously haven't watched enough videos, otherwise you'd know the ice wall keeps us safe (they have pictures of it) and of course, if anyone tries to get to to it "they" will stop you. No, I don't know who "they" are. It's all a huge NASA-led conspiracy that every government is part of and it's all designed to hide the truth from us all. Thank goodness we have these brave warriors to show us.

Or, they're a bunch of idiots who don't understand science and are very bad at maths. Holy shit, a man with a stick calculated the circumference of Earth well over 2,000 years ago, but these idiots are still living in the dark ages.

If you haven't seen "Behind the Curve" on Netflix, it is a good watch to get into the psychology of Flat Earther's.

I love the bit with the guys using the gyro.... coming up with ever new "explanations" why the data is consistent with a globe....

NoTime wrote:

And trust is especially easy destroyed when people don't know that this doesn't impact the hard sciences like physics, chemistry and rather large part of biology of biology nearly as much as the more statistical sciences like sociology, psychology, medicine....

Not that non-open access magazines never fall for frauds, but this is only about open access portals, where one third doesn't even have a peer review process, and hence doesnt really count as scientific....
Acceptance rate at portals with peer review is however truly sad.

How the hell did she get tenure??

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

glideslope900

Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:04 am

stratclub wrote:
I think that more and more feelings are more important than critical thinking and a flat earth construct gives people something to feel good about. It's like actual facts make me feel bad so they are invalid.

Kind of like immigration views of the left. “Forget the facts, lets do what makes us feel good.”

tommy1808

Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:40 am

glideslope900 wrote:
stratclub wrote:
I think that more and more feelings are more important than critical thinking and a flat earth construct gives people something to feel good about. It's like actual facts make me feel bad so they are invalid.

Kind of like immigration views of the left. “Forget the facts, lets do what makes us feel good.”

and what "facts" would those be?

best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

StarAC17

Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:07 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
StarAC17 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Oh come on! You obviously haven't watched enough videos, otherwise you'd know the ice wall keeps us safe (they have pictures of it) and of course, if anyone tries to get to to it "they" will stop you. No, I don't know who "they" are. It's all a huge NASA-led conspiracy that every government is part of and it's all designed to hide the truth from us all. Thank goodness we have these brave warriors to show us.

Or, they're a bunch of idiots who don't understand science and are very bad at maths. Holy shit, a man with a stick calculated the circumference of Earth well over 2,000 years ago, but these idiots are still living in the dark ages.

If you haven't seen "Behind the Curve" on Netflix, it is a good watch to get into the psychology of Flat Earther's.

I love the bit with the guys using the gyro.... coming up with ever new "explanations" why the data is consistent with a globe....

NoTime wrote:

And trust is especially easy destroyed when people don't know that this doesn't impact the hard sciences like physics, chemistry and rather large part of biology of biology nearly as much as the more statistical sciences like sociology, psychology, medicine....

Not that non-open access magazines never fall for frauds, but this is only about open access portals, where one third doesn't even have a peer review process, and hence doesnt really count as scientific....
Acceptance rate at portals with peer review is however truly sad.

How the hell did she get tenure??

Best regards
Thomas

I love the Mic Drop at the end of the film and making Jeran look like a fool.

An experiment that the Discovery channel did showing the curve off by shooting a laser off a lake showed the curve perfectly and I was like Fail.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

TSS

Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:02 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
An experiment that the Discovery channel did showing the curve off by shooting a laser off a lake showed the curve perfectly and I was like Fail.

The experiment StarAC17 mentions, filmed at Pyramid Lake in Nevada- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVa2UmgdTM4
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

PC12Fan

Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:12 am

And they embarrass themselves even more when they’re own experiments prove them wrong!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RMjDAzUFxX0
Just when I think you've said the stupidest thing ever, you keep talkin'!

sebolino

Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:38 pm

Why do some people believe such idiocy ? I heard that 6 Millions French are stupid enough to believe that. It's 10% of the population.

I guess the main reason is that people feel different, better, special, when they believe in a conspiracy, whatever it is.
I know a guy, who is 100% sure that:
- the earth is flat
- the world is led by the illuminatis
- the NASA is a bunch of NAZI (hence the name !!!)
- there's a conspiracy to kill the humanity. And the better "they" could do is to send chemicals with the planes => chemtrails. Not very efficient apparently.
- and so on ... I don't tell you about the local conspiracies involving the French government.

And all that because this guy has too much time to watch youtube, and just want to believe what's make him special, and sure that he knows better than others.
When I give him evidences of the opposite, he just avoids the contradiction by saying that all my "knowledge" was given to me in a big conspiracy.

His last one: the new plane "boom" will have engines which won't need any fuel ... (??????) But we'll never see it, because "they" will hide it to the world.

And this guy doesn't see a psychiatrist.
Should I laugh or cry ?

TSS

Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:51 pm

sebolino wrote:

On that one, at least, he's not entirely wrong. Immediately after WWII "Operation Paperclip" brought numerous former Nazi scientists, engineers, and technicians to America to work on the US space program.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Paperclip
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

sebolino

Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:27 pm

TSS wrote:
sebolino wrote:

On that one, at least, he's not entirely wrong. Immediately after WWII "Operation Paperclip" brought numerous former Nazi scientists, engineers, and technicians to America to work on the US space program.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Paperclip

All this crap is always based on elements of truth mixed with pure BS, that's the way to make things look real.