SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Former Australian prime minister Bob Hawke dies aged 89

Thu May 16, 2019 10:53 am

I never lived in Australia but apparently he has had a deep impact on the country's political life. His death happens just two days before Australia's general election.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... g-coverage

melpax

Re: Former Australian prime minister Bob Hawke dies aged 89

Thu May 16, 2019 11:30 am

Another part of my Childhood gone....

Hawke & his treasurer Paul Keating (who would replace him as PM) basically created the modern Australian economy, and Medicare as we know it was his creation.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/labo ... 50kkt.html

He also didn't mind a beer & a bet on the horses - he famously went teetotal during his time as PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5mBShX9fdU
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Thu May 16, 2019 6:58 pm

melpax wrote:
Another part of my Childhood gone....

Sadly that's the way it goes for everybody.

melpax wrote:
Hawke & his treasurer Paul Keating (who would replace him as PM) basically created the modern Australian economy, and Medicare as we know it was his creation.

Not like the bunch of weirdos that seem to pretend governing since six years, apparently.

cpd

Fri May 17, 2019 2:58 am

Part of my childhood gone now too. A giant of politics for all the right reaons. Look at all the current lot of politicians, I cannot think of many with his qualities. Yes, he had imperfections, especially alcohol, sometimes a fiery temper too, but somehow he was also more like all of us. He wore his heart on his sleeve too.

From the QLD Premier:
"He couldn’t walk in the march so he was pushed in a wheelchair, but when we got to the end of that march he stood out of that wheelchair, he would not have any assistance, he walked up onto that stage and he belted out the best rendition of 'Solidarity Forever' and everybody standing there was absolutely moved," she said.

"Afterwards, he said to me as he was leaving: ‘Annastacia, this is my last visit here, I’m not going to make it back here again’. He had a tear in his eye because I think he knew this was his last visit to the birthplace of the Labor Party."

I think that says it all. There are some nice tributes from SMH readers too:
https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal ... 51obc.html

If you want to get into politics, be like him.

Pretty good look back at his legacy on YouTube from the ABC:

https://youtu.be/I2Y-XchKBXk

Some funny moments there - and a lot of “how things have changed”.

kaitak

Fri May 17, 2019 6:33 am

A giant of Australian politics and what a legacy to leave. His successor, Paul Keating, wasn't liked anything like as much as he was (he had a wicked, often very caustic, way with words). It's true that the current batch of Aussie leaders haven't really measured up to him, though in fairness, not many have lasted long enough to do so! Since Howard, how many Aussie leaders have lasted one full term (3 yeards) in the job?

Australia is certainly a better country as a result of Hawke's leadership.

melpax

Fri May 17, 2019 10:30 am

kaitak wrote:
A giant of Australian politics and what a legacy to leave. His successor, Paul Keating, wasn't liked anything like as much as he was (he had a wicked, often very caustic, way with words). It's true that the current batch of Aussie leaders haven't really measured up to him, though in fairness, not many have lasted long enough to do so! Since Howard, how many Aussie leaders have lasted one full term (3 yeards) in the job?

Keating was a most unlikely Labor PM. While Hawkie's hobby was having a punt on the horses & watching the footy & cricket, Keating was an enthusiast of French antique clocks, and classical music, and famously preferred to wear Zegna suits, while every other (Male) PM wore the Australian-made Anthony Squires label...
Essendon - Whatever it takes......

RyanairGuru

Fri May 17, 2019 12:35 pm

kaitak wrote:
Since Howard, how many Aussie leaders have lasted one full term (3 years) in the job?

None.

(For international readers, John Howard was Prime Minister from 1996-2007, which means that for the past 12 years we have not had a single government go a full term ... and we only have 3 year terms!)

kaitak wrote:

Hear hear.

The respect today from across the political divide shows just how monumentous Hawke was. He truly was the father of modern Australia. While he is remembered most clearly for his economic reforms, he was also ahead of his time on environmental protection and sexual discrimination. He played an outsize role in the global defiance of Apartheid South Africa and openly welcomed Chinese students after the Tiananmen massacre.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

jupiter2

Sat May 18, 2019 5:32 am

kaitak wrote:

The country still rides on the reforms and work done by Hawke and Keating. They were a dynamic pair together and though it may have ended it a slightly bitter fashion at the time, they managed to end any feud between them in later years. Keating while not having the public appeal of Hawke, was an excellent politician and many of the reforms they delivered were of Keatings making and he has a wicked sense of humour.

Bob on the other hand was as close as this country is ever going to get to having a king. He was charismatic, charming, larrikin, but loved Australia and Australia loved him. But he also wasn't afraid to make the tough decisions which the nation needed, he put into practice Keatings ideas and sold them to the public. World economies weren't in a great state throughout much of his Prime Ministership, but the work done by himself and Keating left the country with a platform to move forward and prosper, it's been 30 years and really it's only now that the economy is starting to flounder again.

He was a great man, loved by most, respected by his opponents and will be sadly missed by this nation.

cpd

Sat May 18, 2019 8:39 am

jupiter2 wrote:
kaitak wrote:

The country still rides on the reforms and work done by Hawke and Keating. They were a dynamic pair together and though it may have ended it a slightly bitter fashion at the time, they managed to end any feud between them in later years. Keating while not having the public appeal of Hawke, was an excellent politician and many of the reforms they delivered were of Keatings making and he has a wicked sense of humour.

Bob on the other hand was as close as this country is ever going to get to having a king. He was charismatic, charming, larrikin, but loved Australia and Australia loved him. But he also wasn't afraid to make the tough decisions which the nation needed, he put into practice Keatings ideas and sold them to the public. World economies weren't in a great state throughout much of his Prime Ministership, but the work done by himself and Keating left the country with a platform to move forward and prosper, it's been 30 years and really it's only now that the economy is starting to flounder again.

He was a great man, loved by most, respected by his opponents and will be sadly missed by this nation.

I also think Hawke and Keating had things easier without the perils of the internet and social media. The lack of the 24/7 media cycle really allowed them to have the big vision policies and execute those policies.

Nowadays I feel there is a lot more small target, me too approaches to campaigning. Big policies don't deliver immediate wins in the media cycle. Shame. I think Hawke and Keating are still a class above the politicians now. And both I reckon are less likely tripped up by gotcha tricks. And they had the gift to really know how to sell their ideas.

Now it's less about that. Forget policies, do adverts depicting your rival as the grim reaper, deface rival candidates posters and other dirty tricks. Negative campaigning. Shame.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat May 18, 2019 1:37 pm

I’ve met a number of Ansett/AFAP pilots who struck in ‘89 and are not quite so in love with Hawke. And I’ve a couple of Yanks who went over and flew struck work.