caliboy93
Topic Author

Updated: Media Spinning MO abortion "ban"

Thu May 16, 2019 5:50 pm

Many states like Georgia, Alabama, and Missouri are suddenly passing strict anti-abortion laws which completely forbid abortion regardless of circumstances, and has life sentences for doctors who perform one. I think it's crazy, because while I'm actually more pro-life, in certain situations a pregnancy might put a woman's life in danger in which case abortion would be the best thing to do.
Last edited by SQ22 on Wed May 29, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated after threads have been merged

casinterest

Re: Anti-abortion wave across America

Thu May 16, 2019 6:17 pm

It is legislation by a bunch of absolutely cruel people. Their Christianity pales in comparison to their abuse and cruelty.

At the end of the day, if a fetus can't survive outside the womb of the mother, then folks needs to stay out of the private discussions between that woman and her doctor.

After all, those same cruel folks also will remove healthcare and welfare from the mother once that kid is born.

However I welcome this legislation to highlight the dishonor and hypocrisy of so called Republicans that think the government needs to stay out of their business. .
Where ever you go, there you are.

sw733

Thu May 16, 2019 7:09 pm

"Religion should not be used as a weapon...unless it's Christianity" - GOP.

"Every life matters...until they're born, then fuck 'em if they're poor" - GOP.

"We need less government...unless it pushes our Christian beliefs, then we need more!" - GOP.
Last edited by sw733 on Thu May 16, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dieuwer

Thu May 16, 2019 7:11 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolle_Mina

The text written on their stomachs translates roughly as: "Boss Over our Own Bellies".

Pyrex

Thu May 16, 2019 7:13 pm

One day, many moons from now, people will look back at this period in history the same way we look back at Nazi Germany today and wonder how it was possible for a group of people who consider themselves so enlightened and morally superior to everyone to condone the dehumanizing and wholesale slaughter of millions of unborn babies at the altar of convenience. That day is not here for a while, but it is good to see some progress being made in the right direction.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

casinterest

Thu May 16, 2019 7:16 pm

Pyrex wrote:
One day, many moons from now, people will look back at this period in history the same way we look back at Nazi Germany today and wonder how it was possible for a group of people who consider themselves so enlightened and morally superior to everyone to condone the dehumanizing and wholesale slaughter of millions of unborn babies at the altar of convenience. That day is not here for a while, but it is good to see some progress being made in the right direction.

Why don't you go get raped and knocked up by your father and see how you feel about that?

einsteinboricua

Thu May 16, 2019 7:31 pm

casinterest wrote:
Pyrex wrote:

Why don't you go get raped and knocked up by your father and see how you feel about that?

He can't. And neither can the 25 men in the AL Senate or the 5 likely SCOTUS justices that have the ability to overturn Roe.

If anything, people will look back and wonder how it was possible for men to have such control over women.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

sw733

Thu May 16, 2019 7:32 pm

Pyrex wrote:

I hope that day never comes and the right to choice remains forever.

casinterest

Thu May 16, 2019 7:33 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Pyrex wrote:

He can't. And neither can the 25 men in the AL Senate or the 5 likely SCOTUS justices that have the ability to overturn Roe.

If anything, people will look back and wonder how it was possible for men to have such control over women.

Like I said earlier. It is an issue of Abuse and Cruelty far before it about life for these people.

Kno

Thu May 16, 2019 7:33 pm

Pyrex wrote:

Do you honestly think that comparing the abortion of a fetus who cannot survive outside of the mothers womb to a hateful mass genocide is reasonable?

If this future you speak of is true we are headed straight for idocracy... Unfortunately you might be right.

einsteinboricua

Thu May 16, 2019 7:37 pm

Some of these people are just hypocrites. AL was the height of it; lawmakers expect the law to be struck down and battle to the SCOTUS, which is what they want.

Of course, they're taking a gamble. Unless a liberal justices passes away before arguments are made, Roe is still safe. Roberts has always tried to balance public opinion of the court. He knows the optics of this are REALLY bad: 5 middle aged men telling women that they HAVE to carry a pregnancy to term? Unless you have judges that are being paid to vote a certain way or who couldn't care less about what people think of them, this it DEFINITELY gonna be a thing to contend with.

Pyrex

Thu May 16, 2019 7:40 pm

casinterest wrote:
Pyrex wrote:

How many abortions are cases like that, as compared to evil people who just do not want to live up to the consequences of their actions? 0.1%? Half that?

johns624

Thu May 16, 2019 7:40 pm

In a few years they'll be complaining about all the added "welfare babies".

einsteinboricua

Thu May 16, 2019 7:56 pm

Pyrex wrote:
How many abortions are cases like that, as compared to evil people who just do not want to live up to the consequences of their actions? 0.1%? Half that?

So your solution is to force the woman to bring a pregnancy to term (all on her own, no leave, no insurance, no government assistance) and once the baby is born, still deny them the benefits (no leave, no subsidized childcare, no WIC, SNAP, etc.)? Got it.

Oh, DUH! Put the baby up for adoption. Overwhelm orphanages with unwanted babies and watch the following:
1. Those that do get adopted into a stable home will grow resentful knowing that, while surrounded by a loving family, it's not their biological family.
2. Those that do NOT get adopted and are placed in foster care also grow resentful and, potentially, do worse than their peers.

Question: are you willing to become a foster parent, volunteer at orphanages, or have your tax dollars support those entities? Should your state divert revenue to social services so that these unwanted babies are properly taken care of?

If not, stop calling yourself Pro-Life and give up the pretense that you care about a clump of cells that cannot survive on its own in the early stages.

bgm

Thu May 16, 2019 7:57 pm

The same people who are against abortion the ones who are against birth control and only support abstinence as a valid form of sex education in schools. :sarcastic:
████ ███ █ ███████ ██ █ █████ ██ ████ [redacted]

Dutchy

Thu May 16, 2019 8:11 pm

If you are against abortion, then don't have one. But don't make your beliefs mandatory for others.

Man, this is 50 years back in time.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

mham001

Thu May 16, 2019 8:21 pm

The problem with these arguments are the multiple definitions and restrictions. The public opinion polls make this point because it is all about how the question framed. CNN had an article on this today.

Roe v Wade for example made abortions in the first trimester constitutional, yet I hear of many instances where that deadline is blown by like it was never there and I think this is where abortion has run up against backlash. Now for example, we are hearing in this very thread multiple times, "if a fetus can't survive outside the womb of the mother". Well this is 24 weeks, well beyond Roe v Wade. How did that happen?

Personally, I think 3 months is enough time to figure out if you want an optional abortion. If there are real, thoroughly verified health issues after that, so be it but not for convenience.

winginit

Thu May 16, 2019 8:24 pm

Dutchy wrote:
If you are against abortion, then don't have one. But don't make your beliefs mandatory for others.

Exactly. The law is crystal clear especially in the United States - abortion is not murder. End of story and backed now by decades of legal precedent.

If your religion or personal beliefs tell you otherwise, you are free to adhere to them, but they should be and are entirely meaningless in how they dictate the actions of others.

Pyrex wrote:

Your opinion is meaningless in the face of the law.

mham001

Thu May 16, 2019 8:29 pm

winginit wrote:
Exactly. The law is crystal clear especially in the United States - abortion is not murder. End of story and backed now by decades of legal precedent.

Fine. Define the exact parameters..

casinterest

Thu May 16, 2019 8:33 pm

Pyrex wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Pyrex wrote:

How about you tell me the real numbers , and then tell me whether it matters or not ?
If it matters, then I am sure you will show me that you believe in medicare for all, and pre and post paid maternity for up to two years right, along with housing assistance for those in need.

casinterest

Thu May 16, 2019 8:35 pm

mham001 wrote:
The problem with these arguments are the multiple definitions and restrictions. The public opinion polls make this point because it is all about how the question framed. CNN had an article on this today.

Roe v Wade for example made abortions in the first trimester constitutional, yet I hear of many instances where that deadline is blown by like it was never there and I think this is where abortion has run up against backlash. Now for example, we are hearing in this very thread multiple times, "if a fetus can't survive outside the womb of the mother". Well this is 24 weeks, well beyond Roe v Wade. How did that happen?

Personally, I think 3 months is enough time to figure out if you want an optional abortion. If there are real, thoroughly verified health issues after that, so be it but not for convenience.

That is for a doctor and a mother to decide. Not a bunch or people that are not burdened with the care and unexpected complications that occur during a pregnancy or will bothered to do anything after it.

Dutchy

Thu May 16, 2019 8:40 pm

Pyrex wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Pyrex wrote:

Oh dear, do people actually think like this? Let me ask it another way, who are you to condemn people like that. Can't even comprehend how that works.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Tugger

Thu May 16, 2019 8:42 pm

Fortunately the women are the ones that are the citizens and the ones with the superior rights. Trump and his supporters keep talking about that citizen's rights are paramount so this isn't a real problem for them either. The woman has the established right, as we all do, male and female alike, to be in control of their own body. So the woman's right will ultimately prevail.

When you get right down to it, others will never stop a woman that wishes to kill a fetus, a baby within her. And there is nothing that can be done to stop that. It was done with hangers and in back alleys and by secret doctors before and that will always be available.

I am fine with limits, just like they have in Europe, having experienced the process through having kids of my own I lean toward 20 weeks being the legal limit unless there is a danger to the woman's health. But unfortunately the abortion issue is sort of similar to the gun control debate in that people are afraid if they give an inch others will keep going for more and more restrictions. The ol' "slippery slope" theory. Honestly people on both sides should be able to understand the issue and find common ground. I mean if the "castle doctrine" works for killing someone "legally", then the same must be able to be applied within one's own body.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

LAXBUR

Thu May 16, 2019 8:44 pm

Pyrex wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Pyrex wrote:

“Evil people” - yeah like the Conservatives that advise their mistresses to get abortions?

The second the baby is out in the world and the mother can’t adequately provide; you and your hoard of evil “Christians” will blame the mother for not being equipped to care for the child. You’ll vote for other evil “Christians” that restrict birth control, cut food stamps and welfare, cut education, and virtually all other funding to help children thrive. So who’s evil here? You.

scbriml

Thu May 16, 2019 8:45 pm

Pyrex wrote:

Let me guess, you're a man. :sarcastic:

Pyrex wrote:

Doesn't matter, it's got nothing to do with you unless you're the father. Even then, you don't have much of a say unless the woman agrees.

A bunch of predominantly middle-aged white men deciding what women can and can't do with their bodies. Welcome to the 1800's.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

mham001

Thu May 16, 2019 8:48 pm

casinterest wrote:

That is for a doctor and a mother to decide. Not a bunch or people that are not burdened with the care and unexpected complications that occur during a pregnancy or will bothered to do anything after it.

Please note I did exclude health issues, so here we have again a blurring of the exact definition of legal abortions. With your response, I get the sense you believe they can abort for any reason at any time?

mham001

Thu May 16, 2019 8:51 pm

scbriml wrote:
Pyrex wrote:

Let me guess, you're a man. :sarcastic:

Pyrex wrote:

Doesn't matter, it's got nothing to do with you unless you're the father. Even then, you don't have much of a say unless the woman agrees.

A bunch of predominantly middle-aged white men deciding what women can and can't do with their bodies. Welcome to the 1800's.

That's a nice, stereotypical picture and all, but do you realize 5,000 miles away that a woman signed the Alabama bill into law?

casinterest

Thu May 16, 2019 8:53 pm

mham001 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Please note I did exclude health issues, so here we have again a blurring of the exact definition of legal abortions. With your response, I get the sense you believe they can abort for any reason at any time?

I believe so. I would hope they wouldn't However, I think that the onus should be on us to educate our children on the importance of life and caring for it, and let the choices of these women be a reflection of it.

People forget how many women live in abusive conditions, and conditions of poverty. Being pregnant can sometimes make those situations even worse. I was not responsible for their situation, and i can't possible equivocate my priorities for theirs in raising a child under their personal circumstances .

Tugger

Thu May 16, 2019 8:59 pm

In much of the "liberal" nations of Europe, abortion is legal up to 12-14 weeks. After that requeires two doctors to sign of there that is a grave risk to the women's life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_law

I am fairly certain there would be a big outcry if that kind of limit were tried to be imposed in the USA.

Again, me personally, I am OK with legal access to abortion. Can't say I would ever support one for my family but that is not my choice ultimately. However I am fine with real appropriately structured limits.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

winginit

Thu May 16, 2019 9:00 pm

mham001 wrote:
winginit wrote:

Fine. Define the exact parameters..

Maybe I should have clarified as it would seem you're unfamiliar with Roe vs. Wade? I'll recap the ruling for you:

First Trimester: Governments cannot prohibit abortions at all
Second Trimester: Governments can require 'reasonable' health regulations around abortion
Third Trimester: Governments can prohibit abortions entirely so long as the laws contained exceptions for cases when abortion was necessary to save the life of the mother

Roe vs. Wade has been, as I hope you know, upheld for decades time and time again, and it will be upheld again against the most recent Alabama legislation. Abortions within the first trimester of a pregnancy, regardless of the reason behind them, are not murder in the United States. period. the end. thanks for playing.

CPH-R

Thu May 16, 2019 9:05 pm

Here's a remarkable read on how abortion became a force for a section of the religious right to assert themselves as a political force.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... ins-107133

To no surprise, it evolved out of a failed attempt to maintain segregation in the south...

sw733

Thu May 16, 2019 9:08 pm

Dutchy wrote:

50 years ago, the men pushing these laws were in their prime

scbriml

Thu May 16, 2019 9:10 pm

mham001 wrote:
do you realize 5,000 miles away that a woman signed the Alabama bill into law?

Yes, I can read. What's the demographic breakdown of the Alabama senate? Has she ever not signed anything into law that was approved by the senate?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

stl07

Thu May 16, 2019 9:19 pm

To everyone so triggered by this event, while I don't actually support Alabama's bill, I like that it passed. Alabama is their own state who chose to impose this upon themselves as they are overwhelmingly pro-life. That is how federalism works. It's their own state, they can do what they want, just like California can enact whatever green policy they want, it is their own state. I'm sick and tired of the federal government/people in other states trying to decide what should happen in individual states, be it on the left with green policy/sanctuary cities or on the right with abortion. America is a federalist country, not a unitary state.
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

casinterest

Thu May 16, 2019 9:23 pm

stl07 wrote:
To everyone so triggered by this event, while I don't actually support Alabama's bill, I like that it passed. Alabama is their own state who chose to impose this upon themselves as they are overwhelmingly pro-life. That is how federalism works. It's their own state, they can do what they want, just like California can enact whatever green policy they want, it is their own state. I'm sick and tired of the federal government/people in other states trying to decide what should happen in individual states, be it on the left with green policy/sanctuary cities or on the right with abortion. America is a federalist country, not a unitary state.

So Federal Employees that are forced to be in that state can ignore the laws of those ignorant cowards ?
I think not, that make this a federal issue as it applies to women that are protected by the US constitution.

MaverickM11

Thu May 16, 2019 9:36 pm

Pyrex wrote:

Yah I don't think anyone believes white nationalist incels really care about "the unborn". They sure as hell don't care about the born. Plus it's biblical! God smashes and dashes babies in the bible for sport.

CPH-R wrote:
Here's a remarkable read on how abortion became a force for a section of the religious right to assert themselves as a political force.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... ins-107133

To no surprise, it evolved out of a failed attempt to maintain segregation in the south...

:checkmark: :checkmark: Today's evangelicals, "why not both?"

mham001 wrote:
That's a nice, stereotypical picture and all, but do you realize 5,000 miles away that a woman signed the Alabama bill into law?

Nothing stereotypical about it. Republican women and minorities have been fighting against their own interests forever.
E pur si muove -Galileo

BerenErchamion

Thu May 16, 2019 9:49 pm

stl07 wrote:
To everyone so triggered by this event, while I don't actually support Alabama's bill, I like that it passed. Alabama is their own state who chose to impose this upon themselves as they are overwhelmingly pro-life.

That doesn't give them the right to impose it upon the individuals in their state who don't want it.

That is how federalism works.

Which is an astoundingly bad and idiotic and morally-indefensible idea. What matters is substance, not form--what matters is what you do, not what level of government is doing it. Bad things remain bad things whether they're done at the federal, state, or local level; and good things don't cease to be good just because they were done in Washington. Washington absolutely should be forcing states to do things when those things are the right thing to do--and respecting fundamental individual rights is absolutely the right thing to do.

The US's federalist system is an abomination that needs to be ignored. Like most of the unique aspects of our system of government, it was created to preserve patriarchy and white supremacy, and it's performed admirably at that. The handful of times it's been used to do good things only emphasize how bad federalism is, because those are things that should have been done centrally and could have been if it weren't for our abominable federalism.

Substance matters more than form. Your excuse is just that--an excuse to get what you want without having to admit you want it. It's not a real principle, because it has no actual, defensible, meaningful moral basis, since formalism is not a valid form of morality.

Tugger

Thu May 16, 2019 10:03 pm

stl07 wrote:
Alabama is their own state who chose to impose this upon themselves as they are overwhelmingly pro-life.

But they are not "pro-life", if they were they would ban guns and not impose the death penalty and would have in place strong laws and resources to ensure the health and well being of their state citizens. Laws would be structured such that a safe healthy life was a top consideration.

They do not do any of that.

They are not pro-life.

Tugg

LittleFokker

Thu May 16, 2019 10:05 pm

"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

stl07

Thu May 16, 2019 10:21 pm

Tugger wrote:
stl07 wrote:
Alabama is their own state who chose to impose this upon themselves as they are overwhelmingly pro-life.

But they are not "pro-life", if they were they would ban guns and not impose the death penalty and would have in place strong laws and resources to ensure the health and well being of their state citizens. Laws would be structured such that a safe healthy life was a top consideration.

They do not do any of that.

They are not pro-life.

Tugg

Correct sorry

*Alabama is anti-abortion
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

Tugger

Thu May 16, 2019 10:29 pm

stl07 wrote:
Tugger wrote:
They are not pro-life.

Tugg

Correct sorry

Thanks.

stl07 wrote:
*Alabama is anti-abortion

As am I of course.

Fortunately I never have to get one, never have to be put in the position of making that choice. Of course I am in support of a woman having the right to decide for herself (within properly thought out parameters).

Tugg

seb146

Thu May 16, 2019 10:33 pm

Pyrex wrote:

There are women who use abortion as birth control. How is that any of your business? I disagree with it, too. But, if that is what they want to do, let them. Abortion should be a SAFE and LEGAL option. A choice.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Pyrex

Fri May 17, 2019 12:23 am

Tugger wrote:
In much of the "liberal" nations of Europe, abortion is legal up to 12-14 weeks. After that requeires two doctors to sign of there that is a grave risk to the women's life.

I am fairly certain there would be a big outcry if that kind of limit were tried to be imposed in the USA.

Again, me personally, I am OK with legal access to abortion. Can't say I would ever support one for my family but that is not my choice ultimately. However I am fine with real appropriately structured limits.

Tugg

And in the U.S., in certain states, you can literally rip a baby off a woman's womb and get away scott free, as long as you don't harm the mother.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/08/accused-m ... s-new-law/

casinterest

Fri May 17, 2019 12:43 am

Pyrex wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

And in the U.S., in certain states, you can literally rip a baby off a woman's womb and get away scott free, as long as you don't harm the mother.

https://nypost.com/2019/02/08/accused-m ... s-new-law/

Care to reread your sentence? It makes no sense.

Also the man is facing 2nd degree murder charges already. However it would be better if NY had the double homicide law that California has as this
Either way the pregnancy will be taken into consideration during sentencing.

ilovelamp

Fri May 17, 2019 12:57 am

Dutchy wrote:

Gay marriage and belief in non-binary gender...

Same exact concepts that have been forced down the throats of a large portion of the US population.

ILL

Super80Fan

Fri May 17, 2019 1:26 am

I'm all for getting government out of reproductive rights and giving a woman the right to choose, but when you choose to alienate one group of people (old white men in this case) you lost all of my sympathy. You aren't going to win supporters by being racist, sexist, and ageist.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

casinterest

Fri May 17, 2019 1:35 am

Super80Fan wrote:
I'm all for getting government out of reproductive rights and giving a woman the right to choose, but when you choose to alienate one group of people (old white men in this case) you lost all of my sympathy. You aren't going to win supporters by being racist, sexist, and ageist.

This statement make no sense. Old white non pregnant men are the ones that started this latest round. So take you senility pill and go back to the beginning of the thread.

Super80Fan

Fri May 17, 2019 1:38 am

casinterest wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

This statement make no sense. Old white non pregnant men are the ones that started this latest round. So take you senility pill and go back to the beginning of the thread.

I'm not old, not even 25 yet so nice try. I'm friends with and follow many "feminist" types/sympathizers on social media and the one thing they have in common with their arguments against the ban is blaming old white men and claiming they're the only problem.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

casinterest

Fri May 17, 2019 1:39 am

Super80Fan wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

I'm not old, not even 25 yet so nice try. I'm friends with and follow many "feminist" types/sympathizers on social media and the one thing they have in common with their arguments against the ban is blaming old white men and claiming they're the only problem.

Old white men are the problem Where do you think this bill originated?

Please do tell.

BN747

Fri May 17, 2019 2:02 am

sw733 wrote:
"Religion should not be used as a weapon...unless it's Christianity" - GOP.

"Every life matters...until they're born, then fuck 'em if they're poor" - GOP.

"We need less government...unless it pushes our Christian beliefs, then we need more!" - GOP.

Best post in the thread...except you left out the cruel evil part!

mham001 wrote:

YOU think 3 months is enough, huh?

Wanna decide for women a minimum of tampon usage per month as well?

I THINK that this should be on every ballot and the aftermath -Enforced!

If you voted for any Abortion restrictions of rights Women, Then you are registered as such - you should also be denied jerkoff rights - period!
If the Spuzz Police sweep your trash/drainage lines and find evidence that you spurted a life component into tissue and tossed it, you're no different from a woman disposing of an egg/sperm combo.

Or equality for Female egg disposal, Men at a minimum, as a woman has a reoccurring monthly period, Men (ALL Men) can only wank off four (consecutive) days a month - Period!

That's fairness and everyone gets to live with their choice.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson