zrs70
Topic Author
Posts: 3695
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2000 4:08 am

Have you ever been able to change someone's mind

Tue May 21, 2019 10:34 pm

Convictions (legal, religious, political) are nearly impossible to change. Even if you line up evidence to prove your point, swaying an opinion is rarely possible. An emotional truth so often outweighs everything else.

Have you been successful? How? Has YOUR mind ever been swayed by someone else?
19 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2019
 
flipdewaf
Posts: 2849
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:28 am

Re: Have you ever been able to change someone's mind

Tue May 21, 2019 10:43 pm

Flunitrazepam.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 9807
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Have you ever been able to change someone's mind

Tue May 21, 2019 11:21 pm

zrs70 wrote:
Convictions (legal, religious, political) are nearly impossible to change. Even if you line up evidence to prove your point, swaying an opinion is rarely possible. An emotional truth so often outweighs everything else.

Have you been successful? How? Has YOUR mind ever been swayed by someone else?


Sure in both cases, if you never change your mind on anything you are out of touch or you are an extremist.

If you want to change anyone's mind, you have to let others make their own train of thought and reach a different conclusion than with that they started with. Furthermore, you have truly listen to their train of thought of their first point of view. most people, in my experience in real life, are actually quite nuanced, their solutions might vary, but ultimately most agree to be looking out for each other.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
Super80Fan
Posts: 1602
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:14 am

Re: Have you ever been able to change someone's mind

Tue May 21, 2019 11:44 pm

Yes it is possible because I'm one of those people that has had my mind change after listening to someone's points and doing my own research/thinking.

The key in those cases was the people changing my mind did it in a way that didn't force their views on mine or go into attack mode. They simply made my case and while we at first might have disagreed, it was all very cordial.

Many people's problems nowadays is that they go into full attack mode where they think their point is the only one. And if you don't agree with them 100%, they call you names/go after you. In those cases, not only does it make the other person not want to listen to you, it actually drives them further to the other end of the spectrum.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways
 
KentB27
Posts: 476
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:20 pm

Re: Have you ever been able to change someone's mind

Wed May 22, 2019 12:41 am

Is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? No.

Image
 
LMP737
Posts: 5902
Joined: Wed May 08, 2002 4:06 pm

Re: Have you ever been able to change someone's mind

Wed May 22, 2019 1:05 am

I don't know if this counts but I did prove my wife she was wrong once and she admitted it.;)
Never take financial advice from co-workers.
 
Kno
Posts: 345
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:08 pm

Re: Have you ever been able to change someone's mind

Wed May 22, 2019 4:02 am

Yes absolutely, I think these changes of the mind typically come about in relationships, close friendships, and among family. People you know that well can exchange information with great influence.
 
User avatar
Jouhou
Posts: 1966
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 4:16 am

Re: Have you ever been able to change someone's mind

Wed May 22, 2019 4:38 am

I rarely change how I feel about something I have personally observed or experienced. Feelings belong to each individual person and it should not be expected that how someone feels about something can be changed.

I do regularly change my judgement on something involving more objective factors when presented with new information.

People bring up politics though and it should be said that people have a lot of trouble separating their feelings from fact. Unfortunately that is by design and that's how the game of politics is really played.
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 7710
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Have you ever been able to change someone's mind

Wed May 22, 2019 10:00 am

I was taught to learn, and be able to argue, both sides of a debate. It makes one a much more effective debater, You look at both sides of an issue, and try to look at it from the point-of-view of "a believer". It is a very effective tactic. It may also lead one to change their mind on a subject.

My position on capital punishment evolved from what it was to what it is because of this method. Does that count? I changed my own mind.

I have managed to move the needle on gun-rights with a good friend of mine, who, tragically passed 2 years ago.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
User avatar
trpmb6
Posts: 2636
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Re: Have you ever been able to change someone's mind

Wed May 22, 2019 1:06 pm

Yup. It took years but I can point to a specific example about how someone's point of view has slowly changed over time as a result of associating with myself and others with similar points of view. I've also had my own mind changed about things when presented with specific, measurable and objective facts.

It may not seem like it on the internet but most people are objective and will respond positively to reason. The main reason you don't see it on internet forums, etc, is because the people who do change their opinion on a matter will likely drop the argument and save face by exiting the discussion without responding. (rather than face potential ridicule or embarrassment for having to admit they were wrong)
 
User avatar
T18
Posts: 229
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:28 am

Re: Have you ever been able to change someone's mind

Wed May 22, 2019 6:11 pm

I convinced my brother Sour Creme and Onion chips are good.... when he was 8... Does that count?
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971
 
User avatar
Dutchy
Posts: 9807
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:25 am

Re: Have you ever been able to change someone's mind

Wed May 22, 2019 6:18 pm

T18 wrote:
I convinced my brother Sour Creme and Onion chips are good.... when he was 8... Does that count?


Convincing an 8 year old is champions league :D
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 9349
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: Have you ever been able to change someone's mind

Wed May 22, 2019 7:24 pm

No.

People change their own mind. I can try and provide information or a convincing argument but ultimately I am not the one that "changes someone's mind" they do, on their own (hopefully willingly and voluntarily).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin
 
User avatar
N14AZ
Posts: 3774
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: Have you ever been able to change someone's mind

Wed May 22, 2019 8:42 pm

LMP737 wrote:
I don't know if this counts but I did prove my wife she was wrong once and she admitted it.;)

Naaaaah. I know, this is the internet and you can claim whatever you want. But this is so unrealistic and unlikely, it’s ridiculous to claim such an achievement. ;-)
 
User avatar
Aaron747
Posts: 9529
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:07 am

Re: Have you ever been able to change someone's mind

Wed May 22, 2019 9:22 pm

N14AZ wrote:
LMP737 wrote:
I don't know if this counts but I did prove my wife she was wrong once and she admitted it.;)

Naaaaah. I know, this is the internet and you can claim whatever you want. But this is so unrealistic and unlikely, it’s ridiculous to claim such an achievement. ;-)


My 92 year-old grandmother has always insisted climate change is fake for years until I was home for a visit last year, and showed her a NatGeo showcase feature on Guatemalan coffee plantations and how they have suffered from heat and rainfall change in recent years. She has always tried to support Central American coffee for years, and when she saw and heard the evidence from them, in Spanish (her mother tongue), she remarked ‘well, this climate stuff is really a damned shame, isn’t it?’. It touched on something she already had interest in - that’s what made the difference.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty
 
Kilopond
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:08 am

Re: Have you ever been able to change someone's mind

Wed May 22, 2019 9:25 pm

zrs70 wrote:
Convictions (legal, religious, political) are nearly impossible to change. Even if you line up evidence to prove your point, swaying an opinion is rarely possible. An emotional truth so often outweighs everything else.[...]


What you describe is an epistemological problem. The vast majority of people do not want to solve or overcome any cognitive dissonance. Immanuel Kant described this phenomenon of intellectual laziness as a self imposed immaturity.
 
LMP737
Posts: 5902
Joined: Wed May 08, 2002 4:06 pm

Re: Have you ever been able to change someone's mind

Wed May 22, 2019 11:56 pm

N14AZ wrote:
LMP737 wrote:
I don't know if this counts but I did prove my wife she was wrong once and she admitted it.;)

Naaaaah. I know, this is the internet and you can claim whatever you want. But this is so unrealistic and unlikely, it’s ridiculous to claim such an achievement. ;-)


Touche!
Never take financial advice from co-workers.
 
BN747
Posts: 6616
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: Have you ever been able to change someone's mind

Thu May 23, 2019 12:10 am

This website is proof minds get changed constantly.

How?

Look at how many members have had to delete their previous usernames/accounts because they made outstanding fools of themselves, over and over again until they get properly adjusted....that's due to mind change.

When I 1st joined this place it homophobic AF, racist AF, sexist AF <-- that one was so freakin' bad it was barely tolerable. I mean there were some serious women haters on this site! A few are still here..but more people have since spoken out to the point that the worst received permanent bans. The less lethal changed their names and either had a change of heart/mind or just realized (after the A.net parody site -remember that?- really let them howl as loud and foul as they wanted - exposed them for the troubled souls they were)..in reflection, they were not the most pleasant of individuals. A.net Rage then vs A.net Rage today..are galaxies apart.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
zrs70
Topic Author
Posts: 3695
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2000 4:08 am

Re: Have you ever been able to change someone's mind

Thu May 23, 2019 5:14 am

BN747 wrote:
This website is proof minds get changed constantly.

How?

Look at how many members have had to delete their previous usernames/accounts because they made outstanding fools of themselves, over and over again until they get properly adjusted....that's due to mind change.

When I 1st joined this place it homophobic AF, racist AF, sexist AF <-- that one was so freakin' bad it was barely tolerable. I mean there were some serious women haters on this site! A few are still here..but more people have since spoken out to the point that the worst received permanent bans. The less lethal changed their names and either had a change of heart/mind or just realized (after the A.net parody site -remember that?- really let them howl as loud and foul as they wanted - exposed them for the troubled souls they were)..in reflection, they were not the most pleasant of individuals. A.net Rage then vs A.net Rage today..are galaxies apart.

BN747


I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that 20 years ago, many on this site were teens. They have matured.
19 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2019
 
BN747
Posts: 6616
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:48 am

Re: Have you ever been able to change someone's mind

Thu May 23, 2019 6:17 am

zrs70 wrote:
BN747 wrote:
This website is proof minds get changed constantly.

How?

Look at how many members have had to delete their previous usernames/accounts because they made outstanding fools of themselves, over and over again until they get properly adjusted....that's due to mind change.

When I 1st joined this place it homophobic AF, racist AF, sexist AF <-- that one was so freakin' bad it was barely tolerable. I mean there were some serious women haters on this site! A few are still here..but more people have since spoken out to the point that the worst received permanent bans. The less lethal changed their names and either had a change of heart/mind or just realized (after the A.net parody site -remember that?- really let them howl as loud and foul as they wanted - exposed them for the troubled souls they were)..in reflection, they were not the most pleasant of individuals. A.net Rage then vs A.net Rage today..are galaxies apart.

BN747


I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that 20 years ago, many on this site were teens. They have matured.


No, no my man...they had ample teen followers but they were spearheaded by seasoned hardcore haters of the full Adult kind. I got into it with many of them well enough to easily gauge their responses.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 9016
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Have you ever been able to change someone's mind

Thu May 23, 2019 6:35 am

All the time. However minds should change as conditions change. People need to react to the way things change. Having discussions about why and how things are is good for identifying what is changing. There are pros and cons to many arguments, and discussions are about identifying points made or not made before. At some point , some piece of information or event will eventually change a person's stance on some issues. There are other issues to hardwired beliefs that are difficult to change,but it is good for everyone to understand where that line is.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos