LittleFokker
Topic Author

"The Big Bang Theory" Conclusion

Wed May 22, 2019 12:54 am

First, I am aware there's a faction of people who openly despise and hate everything about this show. Feel free to sit this one out. I want a discussion with only those who watched and at a minimum, we're entertained by it. You can start a different thread to discuss how much you hate it and glad the show is done.

Also, *Spoiler Alert* since I will be discussing the series finale from last week. Hopefully you have seen it by now.

I have watched every episode and found it to be above average and somewhat relatable. The show had a nice run and should be appreciated for what it is.

As for how it ended, really not happy that they yadda yadda'd the hell out of the end of Raj's engagement. Just a real quick "she gets offered a job in London, Raj quickly decides to go with her, Howard goes to the airport and changes his mind in 10 seconds, and that's it." Very unsatisfying ending for the guy who couldn't even talk to women for the first four seasons.

Also, while Sheldon's Nobel speech was beautifully executed by Jim Parsons, that needed to be a 3-4 episode arc for Sheldon's redemption, not two segments on the last episode. Doubly more frustrating because the decision was made last summer for this to be the final season, so the writers had plenty of time to properly space out the storylines, and they just rushed everything at the end. The early episodes this season were especially light on plot too.

Thoughts on the conclusion of "The Big Bang Theory?"
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

BN747

Re: "The Big Bang Theory" Conclusion

Wed May 22, 2019 2:41 am

LittleFokker wrote:

Also, while Sheldon's Nobel speech was beautifully executed by Jim Parsons, that needed to be a 3-4 episode arc for Sheldon's redemption, not two segments on the last episode. Doubly more frustrating because the decision was made last summer for this to be the final season, so the writers had plenty of time to properly space out the storylines, and they just rushed everything at the end. The early episodes this season were especially light on plot too.

Thoughts on the conclusion of "The Big Bang Theory?"

Yep, the did do a half-assed job on Sheldon's redemption piece, but it was effective given Sheldon's steadfast annoying (however adorable) persona.

The ending with him and Amy receiving the Nobel prize for physics was a great finish.

As for Raj, I have to go with the writers on this, another boring AF boy-meets-marries girl tale would have been so lame and ruined everything. Howard's mad dash to keep his friend in his life was cute but implausible. It would have been better if Howard showed up with a drag queen - explanation: Howard's car broke down enroute, Uber driver shows up and delivers Howard/ Howard does his schpill ..they leave, the Uber draq queen is waiting...Raj and drag queen (Indian descent) 'hit it off' for love over something simplistic and mundane.

My favorite reoccurring characters that I loved to see each episode were 1) Stewart, the most insecure soul on earth (glad he and his gf ended up shacking up ...and 2) Barry Kripke, in stitches every line he zings,
Ok, and Christine Baranski as Leonard's mom.

And to top the series finale off, the following spin off of Young Sheldon was brilliant in it's tribute to the finale of Big Bang Theory cast - as kids. The child actor in Young Sheldon - that kid has a huge future in the big screen, he can deliver his lines and timing like an 70yo acting professional.

BN747
Last edited by BN747 on Wed May 22, 2019 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Classa64

Wed May 22, 2019 2:47 am

I watched it every single week up till about the 6th season, for me it stopped being funny. I would though watch an episode here and there and up till the last one new what was going on, and i had planned a while ago to not miss the last episode. Months ago I said that on the last show they would fix the elevator and what do ya know :) I have to say when Lenard smacked Sheldon I died laughing It was so unexpected!

I think it ended Ok, I mean its suppose to be a light comedy and I think everything came to a conclusion to at least my satisfaction.

C.
"Freedom is the miles i'm rolling on"

dragon-wings

Wed May 22, 2019 2:49 am

I watched a lot of early The Big Bang Theory episodes but not a lot of towards the end. Didn't Sheldon have a fear of speaking to large crowds? He had to be drunk to make a speech in the episode "The Pants Alternative". So how did he make his speech at the end?
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

dragon-wings

Wed May 22, 2019 2:54 am

BN747 wrote:
My favorite characters that I loved to see each episode were 1) Stewart, the most insecure soul on earth (glad he and his gf ended up shacking up ...and 2) Barry Kripke, in stitches every line he zings,
Ok, and Christine Baranski as Leonard's mom.

I would of liked to of seen more of Zack. (Penny's ex boyfriend)
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

LittleFokker
Topic Author

Wed May 22, 2019 3:27 am

dragon-wings wrote:
I watched a lot of early The Big Bang Theory episodes but not a lot of towards the end. Didn't Sheldon have a fear of speaking to large crowds? He had to be drunk to make a speech in the episode "The Pants Alternative". So how did he make his speech at the end?

Excellent point. Although I think there's a difference to Sheldon in presenting your own work to people you find intellectually inferior and receiving the highest award in your profession. A theory is that Sheldon was finally so shamed by his treatment of his friends that he was able to speak with a clear heart and mind and thus was able to relax while speaking.

einsteinboricua

Wed May 22, 2019 4:50 am

I stopped watching at around season 5-6. It just kinda lost its way, but I did tune in to the finale. I believe it was an excellent ending (though I will agree that Sheldon's redemption should have been longer). I view the finale as an open ended item: Sheldon and Amy achieved peak recognition. For them, the series is over. But there could very well be a spinoff with Penny and Leonard expecting, the Wolowitz children being raised, or with Raj continuing the search. There's material to be had (maybe not now, but a few years into the future).

Even though I stopped watching the show early, I felt I needed to watch the finale. Despite having lost its way, the finale managed to put the show back into perspective.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

apodino

Wed May 22, 2019 4:55 am

I didn't like the way Raj's engagement played out. I thought a perfect ending to that story would have been for Raj to move to London at the end of the series, but instead the writers had him put his bromance with Howard first. I felt bad that Raj was the only one who didn't get married. Sheldon winning the Nobel prize was a perfect sendoff for his character as was his speech and I am not unhappy with the way the writers handed that.

One thing I wish had happened in the last season would have been for Leslie WInkle to resurface. I thought her character was good, but they didn't do enough with her and eventually wrote her off.

LittleFokker
Topic Author

Wed May 22, 2019 5:42 am

apodino wrote:
I didn't like the way Raj's engagement played out. I thought a perfect ending to that story would have been for Raj to move to London at the end of the series, but instead the writers had him put his bromance with Howard first. I felt bad that Raj was the only one who didn't get married. Sheldon winning the Nobel prize was a perfect sendoff for his character as was his speech and I am not unhappy with the way the writers handed that.

One thing I wish had happened in the last season would have been for Leslie WInkle to resurface. I thought her character was good, but they didn't do enough with her and eventually wrote her off.

I agree, I think it would have been better for Raj to follow Anu to London, but with a nice hug from Howard at the airport. Also wished Leslie Winkle would have returned, but I think the producers were afraid of the "Roseanne" connection after what happened with that show. Possibly why Sheldon's mother (Laurie Metcalf) was not present at the Nobel ceremony. Leslie was one of my favorite temporary characters.

einsteinboricua wrote:
I stopped watching at around season 5-6. It just kinda lost its way, but I did tune in to the finale. I believe it was an excellent ending (though I will agree that Sheldon's redemption should have been longer). I view the finale as an open ended item: Sheldon and Amy achieved peak recognition. For them, the series is over. But there could very well be a spinoff with Penny and Leonard expecting, the Wolowitz children being raised, or with Raj continuing the search. There's material to be had (maybe not now, but a few years into the future).

Even though I stopped watching the show early, I felt I needed to watch the finale. Despite having lost its way, the finale managed to put the show back into perspective.

I tried watching "Young Sheldon," but gave up after a few episodes. Jim Parsons manages to perfectly execute "annoying but charming," but this kid misses the mark. Howard, Bernadette, and the kids would make a dreadful spinoff (the writers clearly ran out of stories for their characters to evolve two seasons ago), and Leonard is a terrible character without Sheldon for balance. Raj might make a decent spinoff, but I think with his thick accent, he might have difficulty being the lead on a sitcom.

dragon-wings wrote:
I would of liked to of seen more of Zack. (Penny's ex boyfriend)

Zack made an appearance either early this season or late last season. He had married another woman, but they were having trouble conceiving, so they asked Leonard and Penny to be surrogates. They ended up saying no, so Zack's reappearance only lasted a few episodes.

ltbewr

Wed May 22, 2019 11:37 am

I think the ending could have been better, but like too many shows, the writers had to rush it. The most important thing about this show and how the ending brought that out was the friendship of these 4 different characters. People like that they were imperfect, each a kind of social misfit, but developed and matured over time, finding love and personal achievement.

trpmb6

Wed May 22, 2019 1:02 pm

I'm confused, which one of them had the dragon?

einsteinboricua

Wed May 22, 2019 2:45 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
Also wished Leslie Winkle would have returned, but I think the producers were afraid of the "Roseanne" connection after what happened with that show. Possibly why Sheldon's mother (Laurie Metcalf) was not present at the Nobel ceremony. Leslie was one of my favorite temporary characters.

I don't think there was anything related to Roseanne that prevented both Laurie and Sara from returning. Johnny was a character in Roseanne and The Conners, so that should be a connection no matter what. My guess is that they're busy recording/producing.

Sara's character (Leslie) was really more of a one-night stand type of character. She would have had no space at the last season where everyone, except Raj, is hitched, and it doesn't seem like she was ever interested in her (or viceversa). And considering her usual feud with Sheldon, other than just a congratulatory remark, Leslie would continue on with her work (not to mention, Sara has really aged since she played Leslie). Laurie's character (Mary Cooper) along with Sheldon's sister Missy would have been a nice touch, though. In fact, now that I think about it, it would have also helped Raj since Missy had been interested in him the first time they met. Would have been quite the ending too if Raj and Missy had decided to date towards the end.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

DarkSnowyNight

Thu May 23, 2019 12:07 am

trpmb6 wrote:
I'm confused, which one of them had the dragon?

Claire Underwood.
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

DL717

Fri May 24, 2019 1:49 am

Stopped watching a few years ago. It lost its luster and became repetitive.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

ChrisKen

Fri May 24, 2019 8:50 am

The usual, predictable, crap "happy" ending in which everyone gets what they wanted, that the dull American audience favours above all else.

slider

Fri May 24, 2019 4:40 pm

I watched the show intermittently here and there for a few years, then didn't for the past several.

But watched the finale and, candidly, Sheldon's final speech was quite amazing. I think that made for a completed character arc and was brilliantly written and magnificently delivered by Jim Parsons.

ER757

Fri May 24, 2019 5:14 pm

DL717 wrote:

This show, like many popular sitcoms, went on too long. See Cheers, Happy Days, MASH, Frasier for other examples - all shows that were well conceived, well written and had great casts but just plain ran out of ideas long before they finished their runs.
I did watch the finale and, meh. Pretty predicable that Penny would be preggers, the elevator would be fixed and that Shamy would win the Nobel. Never much cared for the Raj character to begin with - felt like he was just written in as a "token foreigner" and the whole metrosexual angle played out over the years was annoying at best. The contrived engagement storyline in the last season was just plain awful but if they were going down that road then they should have had him get on that plane and go to London. Instead we see him dating Sara Michelle Gellar in the last episode for no apparent reason other than he recognized her as Buffy on the flight over.
I did like that they finally showed Howard and Bernadette's children, they were always off camera and just talked about before.
I'm on the fence about Sheldon's speech - it was well written and well performed by Jim Parsons, but it was absolutely counter to everything his character was for the entire run of the show. It was also a bit somber for a show that usually went for the big laughs with that character.

seb146

Sun May 26, 2019 5:31 pm

I think it would have been comical to give Raj a boyfriend and watch Howard get jealous. Christine Baranski is a treasure and such a strong actor. The final episode was a let down but ended how everyone thought it would.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

DL717

Sun May 26, 2019 8:19 pm

ER757 wrote:
DL717 wrote:

This show, like many popular sitcoms, went on too long. See Cheers, Happy Days, MASH, Frasier for other examples - all shows that were well conceived, well written and had great casts but just plain ran out of ideas long before they finished their runs.
I did watch the finale and, meh. Pretty predicable that Penny would be preggers, the elevator would be fixed and that Shamy would win the Nobel. Never much cared for the Raj character to begin with - felt like he was just written in as a "token foreigner" and the whole metrosexual angle played out over the years was annoying at best. The contrived engagement storyline in the last season was just plain awful but if they were going down that road then they should have had him get on that plane and go to London. Instead we see him dating Sara Michelle Gellar in the last episode for no apparent reason other than he recognized her as Buffy on the flight over.
I did like that they finally showed Howard and Bernadette's children, they were always off camera and just talked about before.
I'm on the fence about Sheldon's speech - it was well written and well performed by Jim Parsons, but it was absolutely counter to everything his character was for the entire run of the show. It was also a bit somber for a show that usually went for the big laughs with that character.

I’m suddenly reminded of Battlestar Galactica 1980 and Little House: A New Begining. Funny you mention Happy Days, the show where “jumping the shark” was defined when they had a cliffhanger of The Fonz literally jumping the shark. :rotfl: :white:

I’m also reminded of other endings to what were some great shows like Ed and Moonlighting, literally the same show. Sexual tension followed by the two getting together, basically ending the show. Downhill after that.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?