stratclub
Topic Author

Impact of Loony Left Policies on San Francisco

Mon May 27, 2019 5:42 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySAabjpl160
San Francisco is in trouble. Decades of Liberal legislation has created an atmosphere where the middle class are moving away from San Fransisco because they can't afford to live there because of back breaking taxation and sky high housing costs coupled with that it is a sanctuary city and has a horrific homeless problem resulting in law enforcement developing a do not engage policy on non capital crimes such as burglary, theft, shoplifting, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eulLDqLrtYM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6dODE0khUw

seb146

Re: Impact of Loony Left Policies on San Francisco

Mon May 27, 2019 5:53 pm

The same could be said for brain dead conservative policies in places like Phoenix, Dallas, Miami, Detroit, St. Louis, Houston, New Orleans, Salt Lake City.......
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

EA CO AS

Mon May 27, 2019 6:01 pm

seb146 wrote:
The same could be said for brain dead conservative policies in places like Phoenix, Dallas, Miami, Detroit, St. Louis, Houston, New Orleans, Salt Lake City.......

You are once again talking out your ass. I live in the metro Phoenix area and it’s booming, with a budget surplus, and people are leaving CA in droves to come here.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

anrec80

Mon May 27, 2019 6:26 pm

Here in New York City it comes in waves. One time, you have one or two Republican mayors from major businesses (e.g. Bloomberg). They fix and improve things in the City, making it really great. Now came this Di Blasio. What we see now - too many homeless on the streets, it became dirty, constant subway delays. Half of businesses is closed - you walk along the avenue in Manhattan, and in 1/3 of shops - “retail space for rent”, “for lease”. And all we hear from the City - just conversations in favor of poor.

And the scariest thing in it all - Di Blasio is planning to run for President, which came to me as a shock. That means the whole country is going to become like SF or NYC.

stratclub
Topic Author

Mon May 27, 2019 7:02 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
seb146 wrote:

You are once again talking out your ass. I live in the metro Phoenix area and it’s booming, with a budget surplus, and people are leaving CA in droves to come here.

A very telling indicator is U-Haul truck rental rates. Using this calculator: https://www.uhaul.com
For moving from San Fransisco to Phoenix a 26' truck costs: $2,500.
For moving from Phoenix to San Fransisco a 26' truck costs: $132.

One danger for places these people move to is that they may not have understood how liberal policies are destroying San Fransisco and California in general and promote the same policies in the cities they move to.

seb146

Mon May 27, 2019 7:08 pm

"Liberal policies" like affordable health care, affordable education, living wages.... such horror! And then the brain dead right demands free market dictate everything and blame the "loony left" when the free market does things.

I am loving this whole notion of "liberals" leaving cities and spreading their message of affordable health care, affordable education, living wages, freedom from religion to low information places like Texas and Kansas and Arizona. This thread just shows how scared the brain dead right are of "liberal" policies like low cost health care for all and low cost education for all and freedom from religion and living wages for all.

stratclub
Topic Author

Mon May 27, 2019 7:18 pm

anrec80 wrote:
Here in New York City it comes in waves. One time, you have one or two Republican mayors from major businesses (e.g. Bloomberg). They fix and improve things in the City, making it really great. Now came this Di Blasio. What we see now - too many homeless on the streets, it became dirty, constant subway delays. Half of businesses is closed - you walk along the avenue in Manhattan, and in 1/3 of shops - “retail space for rent”, “for lease”. And all we hear from the City - just conversations in favor of poor.

And the scariest thing in it all - Di Blasio is planning to run for President, which came to me as a shock. That means the whole country is going to become like SF or NYC.

Not scary at all. What does the worst mayor in the United States do as the one most important crowning achievement of his political career? Lose a Presidential election to The Mighty Orange One by a landslide. :bigthumbsup:

casinterest

Mon May 27, 2019 7:21 pm

San Francisco has a property crime issue, but most of it is Tourists becoming the victims of smash and grabs. Other than that , San Francisco has issues associated with a high cost of living and the fact that everyone wants to be in the bay area. 1st world issues . Maybe it makes a good target so conservatives don't have to pay attention to the Opiate epidemic that is destroying rural America.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Spar

Mon May 27, 2019 8:09 pm

San Francisco is not losing population, the population is shifting because there are new people from all the tech startups moving in and the city is surrounded on three sides by water - there's no place to expand.

The end result is that the median home sale price is $1.63 million, single bedroom rentals can rent for over $4,000 a month, their average is probably close to $3,000 a month. The rest of the Bay area isn't much different because this is a very nice place to live. But if a person doesn't have any in demand skills it is very hard to afford to live here.

So yes, a lot of people are moving out.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ellenparis ... 087f811070
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/30/us/b ... arket.html
https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... rice+in+sf

As for the homeless situation, they are here because we treat them humanely, we feed them, provide health care and try to house them. A majority of them are not from here, they come from red states where they are treated like criminals.

seb146

Mon May 27, 2019 8:50 pm

stratclub wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
seb146 wrote:

A very telling indicator is U-Haul truck rental rates. Using this calculator: https://www.uhaul.com

One danger for places these people move to is that they may not have understood how liberal policies are destroying San Fransisco and California in general and promote the same policies in the cities they move to.

It's almost as if U-Haul is encouraging people to leave Phoenix for San Francisco! I wonder what the rates are from Phoenix to, say Sacramento or other "liberal" cities like Denver or Seattle?

Why do you hate San Francisco? Why do you believe that San Francisco represents ALL of California or ALL "liberals"?

DocLightning

Mon May 27, 2019 8:53 pm

In the last 10 years, traffic on Bay Area freeways has increased over 80%. The price of housing has skyrocketed. Our home has almost tripled in value since we bought it in 2012. This is not a picture of "people running for the hills." The SF Bay Area is in the midst of a boom the likes of which we haven't seen since the gold rush. If people were fleeing, we would see the population dropping, as well as housing prices.

Believe me, I *wish* people were fleeing. But the only ones who are fleeing are those who either can't stand all the congestion or who can't tolerate the price of housing. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY other than a few wing nuts cares about the sanctuary city bit. Crime rate is #14 out of cities >100K residents (in SF itself).

People love to trash San Francisco and make up BS about how leftist policies are destroying the place, but the only thing destroying the place is the hypercapitalist tech industry, which keeps adding more and more jobs to a housing market that isn't adding a lot of new units. But I'm pretty confident that OP has never spent more than a couple of days here. It's still an amazing place to live.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

stl07

Mon May 27, 2019 9:44 pm

seb146 wrote:

Huh? Every city you just named is dominated by liberals and Democrats.
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

stl07

Mon May 27, 2019 9:47 pm

Nobody is leaving CA because of leftist policies like sanctuary cities, they are leaving for places with a lower cost of living so they can live "rich". Same reason why many retirees from Texas go down to Mexico
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

Aaron747

Mon May 27, 2019 10:39 pm

DocLightning wrote:
In the last 10 years, traffic on Bay Area freeways has increased over 80%. The price of housing has skyrocketed. Our home has almost tripled in value since we bought it in 2012. This is not a picture of "people running for the hills." The SF Bay Area is in the midst of a boom the likes of which we haven't seen since the gold rush. If people were fleeing, we would see the population dropping, as well as housing prices.

Believe me, I *wish* people were fleeing. But the only ones who are fleeing are those who either can't stand all the congestion or who can't tolerate the price of housing. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY other than a few wing nuts cares about the sanctuary city bit. Crime rate is #14 out of cities >100K residents (in SF itself).

People love to trash San Francisco and make up BS about how leftist policies are destroying the place, but the only thing destroying the place is the hypercapitalist tech industry, which keeps adding more and more jobs to a housing market that isn't adding a lot of new units. But I'm pretty confident that OP has never spent more than a couple of days here. It's still an amazing place to live.

Further, propagandists like Tucker always talk about homelessness like it’s a new scourge in SF. It was a problem when I lived in the city in the early 2000s, it was a problem in the 1980s, it was a problem when people started coming home from Vietnam to a society that wanted to ignore their existence and experience. Mayor Agnos probably got closest to real solutions in the late 80s, but the situation complicated since then and a web of mayoral priorities since has failed to establish any consistently effective response.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

FlyDeltaJetsATL

Mon May 27, 2019 10:41 pm

DocLightning wrote:
The price of housing has skyrocketed. Our home has almost tripled in value since we bought it in 2012.

DocLightning wrote:
the only thing destroying the place is the hypercapitalist tech industry, which keeps adding more and more jobs to a housing market that isn't adding a lot of new units.

What you say is "destroying the place" has also largely contributed to increasing housing prices (supply & demand) and your home almost tripling in value over such a short time span. Be careful what you wish for.

Jesse
FLY DELTA JETS

MaverickM11

Tue May 28, 2019 12:04 am

stratclub wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySAabjpl160
San Francisco is in trouble. Decades of Liberal legislation has created an atmosphere where the middle class are moving away from San Fransisco because they can't afford to live there because of back breaking taxation and sky high housing costs coupled with that it is a sanctuary city and has a horrific homeless problem resulting in law enforcement developing a do not engage policy on non capital crimes such as burglary, theft, shoplifting, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eulLDqLrtYM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6dODE0khUw

No room to expand + decades long tech boom + some of the nation's most beautiful weather and scenery = housing crisis, driving people that can't afford it to leave. But sure let's play along with ye olde qaliFornyA-is-koklapsing trope from the right's lucid fever dream--what exactly would the right do to solve SFO's housing crisis and homeless problem? I've never once heard any rational solution from the right.

Aaron747 wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

Further, propagandists like Tucker always talk about homelessness like it’s a new scourge in SF. It was a problem when I lived in the city in the early 2000s, it was a problem in the 1980s, it was a problem when people started coming home from Vietnam to a society that wanted to ignore their existence and experience. Mayor Agnos probably got closest to real solutions in the late 80s, but the situation complicated since then and a web of mayoral priorities since has failed to establish any consistently effective response.

Does Tuckjob ever offer a solution? Bet I know the answer. He must be terrified to visit a city with so many non white faces.
Last edited by MaverickM11 on Tue May 28, 2019 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
E pur si muove -Galileo

NoTime

Tue May 28, 2019 12:05 am

seb146 wrote:
I am loving this whole notion of "liberals" leaving cities and spreading...

Much like locusts...

MaverickM11

Tue May 28, 2019 12:14 am

stl07 wrote:
Nobody is leaving CA because of leftist policies like sanctuary cities, they are leaving for places with a lower cost of living so they can live "rich". Same reason why many retirees from Texas go down to Mexico

I'd add that the 'rich' still have no problem moving to California, and they certainly are
E pur si muove -Galileo

anrec80

Tue May 28, 2019 12:47 am

seb146 wrote:
"Liberal policies" like affordable health care, affordable education, living wages.... such horror! And then the brain dead right demands free market dictate everything and blame the "loony left" when the free market does things.

seb146 wrote:
I am loving this whole notion of "liberals" leaving cities and spreading their message of affordable health care, affordable education, living wages, freedom from religion to low information places like Texas and Kansas and Arizona. This thread just shows how scared the brain dead right are of "liberal" policies like low cost health care for all and low cost education for all and freedom from religion and living wages for all.

Where is the economy for all this? Where is the tax base? Can you afford this stuff without ripping the remainders of hard working middle class off completely? Without making them "working poor" by taxing everything away from them? This is the real problem. Number of those claiming to "need help" keeps increasing, same as the need for "affordable health care". I know it's easy to say "tax the rich" but this mantra also comes to a point where it no longer works. Somewhere you have to stop.

anrec80

Tue May 28, 2019 12:56 am

Spar wrote:
As for the homeless situation, they are here because we treat them humanely, we feed them, provide health care and try to house them. A majority of them are not from here, they come from red states where they are treated like criminals.

Well - then why you with your own taxes solve someone else's problems? Not only those homeless come there for solution of their problems at your expense, you also have immigrants (legal and illegal) coming there for exact same purpose - maintain some living standard at the expense of your state (taxpayers). E.g. people bring their parents in and dump them onto Section 8 and Medicaid. That needs to stop. Obviously, this starts to become unsustainable and has to stop at some point.

Aaron747

Tue May 28, 2019 12:58 am

anrec80 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

seb146 wrote:

Where is the economy for all this? Where is the tax base? Can you afford this stuff without ripping the remainders of hard working middle class off completely? Without making them "working poor" by taxing everything away from them? This is the real problem. Number of those claiming to "need help" keeps increasing, same as the need for "affordable health care". I know it's easy to say "tax the rich" but this mantra also comes to a point where it no longer works. Somewhere you have to stop.

Health care comes with a huge tab on paper but the generational savings of such a large risk pool and economy of scale are too large to ignore. Japan has a high cost of living and large population compared to Canada or Scandinavia, yet under its NHS blood tests and ECG cost less than $20 out of pocket for a patient at monthly taxes of $80-$500 depending on level of income - and this with the ability for any patient to choose the public or private hospital and clinic of their choice (there are even websites for rating quality of doctors online). These monthly costs for users are far less than the burden on individuals and employers under the US system.

The sticking point would be overhead - healthcare professionals in the Japanese system make 20-25% less than their US counterparts, and it’s unheard of for hospital presidents to take home millions.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

anrec80

Tue May 28, 2019 1:09 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Health care comes with a huge tab on paper but the generational savings of such a large risk pool and economy of scale are too large to ignore.

I agree with you that these all are absolutely great ideas - but again, where is the $$$ for all this? Who and what will we be ripping off taxing?

Aaron747

Tue May 28, 2019 1:16 am

anrec80 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
Health care comes with a huge tab on paper but the generational savings of such a large risk pool and economy of scale are too large to ignore.

I agree with you that these all are absolutely great ideas - but again, where is the $$$ for all this? Who and what will we be ripping off taxing?

I stated in the Japan example that there is a sliding scale of individual monthly taxes depending on one’s income. This would replace the premiums underpinning the current system.

The criticism many Japanese have is that the wealthy’s healthcare tax maxes out at only $500/month once monthly income is over $12,000.

anrec80

Tue May 28, 2019 1:45 am

Aaron747 wrote:
I stated in the Japan example that there is a sliding scale of individual monthly taxes depending on one’s income. This would replace the premiums underpinning the current system.

Will that be enough in American realities? Keep in mind - good half of population does not pay any taxes, and they will constitute maybe 80% of system's load.

Aaron747 wrote:
The criticism many Japanese have is that the wealthy’s healthcare tax maxes out at only $500/month once monthly income is over $12,000.

How much is enough then? Everything above $12,000?

anrec80

Tue May 28, 2019 1:51 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
I'd add that the 'rich' still have no problem moving to California, and they certainly are

'Rich' isn't yet synonymous to 'taxpayer'. Quite the opposite - he could have saved his $$$ in low cost of living and low tax area, and came to CA to live off investment proceeds, paying limited taxes.

Pi7472000

Tue May 28, 2019 2:06 am

EA CO AS wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I am Phoenix now and.it is awful! Feels like horrible suburban sprawl with no central core. One of the worst U.S. cities I have visited.

seb146

Tue May 28, 2019 2:26 am

anrec80 wrote:
Spar wrote:

Well - then why you with your own taxes solve someone else's problems? Not only those homeless come there for solution of their problems at your expense, you also have immigrants (legal and illegal) coming there for exact same purpose - maintain some living standard at the expense of your state (taxpayers). E.g. people bring their parents in and dump them onto Section 8 and Medicaid. That needs to stop. Obviously, this starts to become unsustainable and has to stop at some point.

There is a world of difference between a 20-something holding a sign on a corner that says "Vietnam Vet Anything Helps" and the non-English speaking people waiting in Home Depot parking lots. Don't know the difference? One is willing to do an honest day's hard work, the other is a right winger just wanting a hand out for nothing.

seb146

Tue May 28, 2019 2:34 am

anrec80 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

seb146 wrote:

The brain dead right thinks everyone will just magically be able to pay stuff the market wants to charge. Like whatever corporations decide to charge for health care and whatever corporations decide to charge for education and whatever the banks decide to charge for mortgages. The right believes everyone is living outside their means and do not deserve anything unless they start off with tons and tons of cash and it is your own fault if you can't afford things like housing and food and health care. The right does not understand we need taxes to pay for a better country for We The People. This is why, as a counter to the OP name calling, I also do some name calling of the brain dead right.

stratclub
Topic Author

Tue May 28, 2019 2:42 am

seb146 wrote:
stratclub wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:

It's almost as if U-Haul is encouraging people to leave Phoenix for San Francisco! I wonder what the rates are from Phoenix to, say Sacramento or other "liberal" cities like Denver or Seattle?

Why do you hate San Francisco? Why do you believe that San Francisco represents ALL of California or ALL "liberals"?

No I don't hate San Francisco. San Francisco is just one place where Liberals have done the most damage. In my younger days, SF did not have "feces art" because of the problem of human waste on the streets from the homeless.

U-Haul is a business that survives by making a profit. U-Haul's pricing represents the fact that people especially San Francisco's middle class are leaving in droves because of unfair taxation and imbecile regulation by the Liberals. For every truck U-Haul rents one way, if no one rents a truck back to the area, U-Hual has to reposition a truck back to that area at their cost of doing business. https://www.ocregister.com/2018/09/08/a ... alifornia/

anrec80

Tue May 28, 2019 3:01 am

seb146 wrote:
The brain dead right thinks everyone will just magically be able to pay stuff the market wants to charge. Like whatever corporations decide to charge for health care and whatever corporations decide to charge for education and whatever the banks decide to charge for mortgages.

seb146 wrote:
The right believes everyone is living outside their means and do not deserve anything unless they start off with tons and tons of cash and it is your own fault if you can't afford things like housing and food and health care.

U.S. has well developed market for all these things, including health insurances (and it became OK with Obamacare, some aspects of which I like personally). Education - there are many smaller universities, community colleges, all of which offer financial aid. Housing - well, you cannot afford a bigger place, then you get one you can afford - smaller one. Can't afford in a prime area such as SF or NYC - there is no tragedy if you look for your home in a town nearby, with some commute, it's OK. Can't afford those areas - USA is a big and diverse country, there are other cities and towns where you will be able to support yourself. This whole "housing issue" - is all about wants really, not needs at all. There is no need to take anything from anyone else to support those wants.

seb146 wrote:
The right does not understand we need taxes to pay for a better country for We The People.

You can't build a better country by having huge chunks of society on welfare, while others who work for all that are being taxed into poverty. There ought to be incentives to work and improve yourself, and get fair reward for your hard work. And once we are into payments - who are these "We The People"? Is that a list of people?
Last edited by anrec80 on Tue May 28, 2019 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

flyguy89

Tue May 28, 2019 3:01 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
what exactly would the right do to solve SFO's housing crisis and homeless problem? I've never once heard any rational solution from the right.

You pretty much laid it out yourself...increasing housing demand means you friggin upzone and actually let developers build more housing stock to meet the demand. I wouldn't exactly call it a "right-wing" radical solution so much as common sense. Seattle is doing just that and has actually seen rents/prices decrease. SF is charging in the opposite direction however and now wants to reimpose rent control apparently, which even left-wing economists generally agree only exacerbates affordability issues.

For as progressive as many SF residents purport to be, they sure as hell seem to subscribe to Trump's immigration philosophy on the micro level (i.e. that the city is full and thus through NIMBY development policies do everything they can to block out new-comers to the city).

stratclub
Topic Author

Tue May 28, 2019 3:03 am

casinterest wrote:
San Francisco has a property crime issue, but most of it is Tourists becoming the victims of smash and grabs. Other than that , San Francisco has issues associated with a high cost of living and the fact that everyone wants to be in the bay area. 1st world issues . Maybe it makes a good target so conservatives don't have to pay attention to the Opiate epidemic that is destroying rural America.

It is mostly tourist that suffer from smash and grab crime in San Francisco because they don't know that you should NEVER leave your vehicle locked in San Francisco or leave valuables in it unless you want your vehicle broken into. And that if your vehicle is broken into Liberal policies mandate that law enforcement will not even acknowledge a crime has been committed.

The opiate problem is because Liberals support open borders and sanctuary cities which along with the decent people that want to immigrate here, drug traffickers and some really horrific criminals are granted open reign to invade our country. Our President has begged Liberals in Congress to pass laws that would secure our borders and fix our broken immigration laws, but so far, all the Liberals want to do is try to railroad our President for crimes he didn't commit instead of doing the job they were elected to do.

stratclub
Topic Author

Tue May 28, 2019 3:11 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Certainly true. Because there are becoming two classes in California. The rich and the extremely poor. The middle class are leaving in droves. https://www.ocregister.com/2018/09/08/a ... alifornia/

Aaron747

Tue May 28, 2019 3:32 am

flyguy89 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
what exactly would the right do to solve SFO's housing crisis and homeless problem? I've never once heard any rational solution from the right.

You pretty much laid it out yourself...increasing housing demand means you friggin upzone and actually let developers build more housing stock to meet the demand. I wouldn't exactly call it a "right-wing" radical solution so much as common sense. Seattle is doing just that and has actually seen rents/prices decrease. SF is charging in the opposite direction however and now wants to reimpose rent control apparently, which even left-wing economists generally agree only exacerbates affordability issues.

For as progressive as many SF residents purport to be, they sure as hell seem to subscribe to Trump's immigration philosophy on the micro level (i.e. that the city is full and thus through NIMBY development policies do everything they can to block out new-comers to the city).

NIMBYism is certainly an aspect of the complications I cited in the earlier post about decades of homeless issues. Succeeding mayoral administrations in SF inevitably cycle through pro-development booms that voters react to with a strong zoning and anti-development drive. It seems the last 40 years of growth politics in SF have been a see-saw of that nature with no middle ground or consistency. And of course in recent years developers tend to show interest only in marquee projects targeting a particular purchasing segment.

The city’s planning authorities have done a good job of historical preservation and an atrocious job od tempering restrictions on adaptive-reuse and other infill strategies and coordinating them with transportation improvements.

MaverickM11

Tue May 28, 2019 3:40 am

flyguy89 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

Oh I'm well aware of the solutions. I want to hear it from squawking heads like stratclub and Tucker Carlson...especially when they start building more affordable homes next to their condos... And what is their solution to homelessness?

stratclub wrote:
The opiate problem is because Liberals support open borders and sanctuary cities which along with the decent people that want to immigrate her

Aaaaand you've lost your mind. California's opiate death rate is well below average, in fact it's in the bottom 10 of US states. What is your excuse for WV and OH's rate that is almost 10x higher? Sanctuary cities too?
E pur si muove -Galileo

Spar

Tue May 28, 2019 3:40 am

"Looney" is a pretty good description for anyone who repeatedly rants about a place they don't know very much about.

seb146

Tue May 28, 2019 4:05 am

anrec80 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
The brain dead right thinks everyone will just magically be able to pay stuff the market wants to charge. Like whatever corporations decide to charge for health care and whatever corporations decide to charge for education and whatever the banks decide to charge for mortgages.

seb146 wrote:
The right believes everyone is living outside their means and do not deserve anything unless they start off with tons and tons of cash and it is your own fault if you can't afford things like housing and food and health care.

U.S. has well developed market for all these things, including health insurances (and it became OK with Obamacare, some aspects of which I like personally). Education - there are many smaller universities, community colleges, all of which offer financial aid. Housing - well, you cannot afford a bigger place, then you get one you can afford - smaller one. Can't afford in a prime area such as SF or NYC - there is no tragedy if you look for your home in a town nearby, with some commute, it's OK. Can't afford those areas - USA is a big and diverse country, there are other cities and towns where you will be able to support yourself. This whole "housing issue" - is all about wants really, not needs at all. There is no need to take anything from anyone else to support those wants.

And, yet, people still struggle even in rural America. The cost of living vs. wages have not been equal for a very long time. IF there are jobs in rural areas, they are low wage or highly skilled. Low wage jobs will not pay for basics. Highly skilled jobs are not being filled because they are difficult to fill or find people to move.

There are people living in Stockton who take the train to San Jose daily. It is cheaper. Good for them. We still do not see people leaving San Francisco in droves because of policies. It is housing prices.

anrec80 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
The right does not understand we need taxes to pay for a better country for We The People.

You can't build a better country by having huge chunks of society on welfare, while others who work for all that are being taxed into poverty. There ought to be incentives to work and improve yourself, and get fair reward for your hard work. And once we are into payments - who are these "We The People"? Is that a list of people?

Why does the right automatically jump to "welfare" when talk of raising taxes comes up? We are talking about affordable health care, affordable housing, affordable education. You righties seem to equate that to everyone will be lazy and be completely dependent on the government for everything? What the? That is such an insane stretch I can't even.

"We The People" refers to US AMERICANS.

stratclub
Topic Author

Tue May 28, 2019 5:40 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
flyguy89 wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

Oh I'm well aware of the solutions. I want to hear it from squawking heads like stratclub and Tucker Carlson...especially when they start building more affordable homes next to their condos... And what is their solution to homelessness?

stratclub wrote:
The opiate problem is because Liberals support open borders and sanctuary cities which along with the decent people that want to immigrate her

Aaaaand you've lost your mind. California's opiate death rate is well below average, in fact it's in the bottom 10 of US states. What is your excuse for WV and OH's rate that is almost 10x higher? Sanctuary cities too?

Well if California was the only state in the union where drugs were a problem I would agree. The truth is that tons of drugs are smuggled across the border that end up in every state in the nation. Sanctuary cities? give me a break. Go ask the family of the victim whose loved one was killed by a drunk illegal alien that had been deported 4 times and was let out of the back door of the court by a liberal judge.

Aaron747

Tue May 28, 2019 6:15 am

stratclub wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
flyguy89 wrote:

stratclub wrote:

Well if California was the only state in the union where drugs were a problem I would agree. The truth is that tons of drugs are smuggled across the border that end up in every state in the nation. Sanctuary cities? give me a break. Go ask the family of the victim whose loved one was killed by a drunk illegal alien that had been deported 4 times and was let out of the back door of the court by a liberal judge.

Fake outrage. Natalie Corona, rookie cop in CA was shot at a traffic stop by a white dude with a personal vendetta against local police, had a long rap sheet, and never heard a peep out of the likes of you.

stratclub
Topic Author

Tue May 28, 2019 6:25 am

Spar wrote:
"Looney" is a pretty good description for anyone who repeatedly rants about a place they don't know very much about.

What you "Loony" Liberals can't seam to understand is that there are thousands of homeless individuals that need our help and you want to throw open the borders so that everyone including drug smugglers, human smugglers and hard core criminals should have unrestricted access to our country. And yes, I understand about places like San Francisco.

My own city of Seattle is suffering from the decline caused by Liberal agendas. What we need to do is take care of American citizens first. I could care less about people that have no right to our country when there are American born citizens that are living a marginalized existence.

I get so tired of you Liberals trying to turn America into a third world country. Americans are all ready crapping in the streets in San Fransisco and Seattle just like they do in India. When will you people have had enough of destroying America?
Last edited by stratclub on Tue May 28, 2019 6:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

casinterest

Tue May 28, 2019 6:31 am

stratclub wrote:
casinterest wrote:

It is mostly tourist that suffer from smash and grab crime in San Francisco because they don't know that you should NEVER leave your vehicle locked in San Francisco or leave valuables in it unless you want your vehicle broken into. And that if your vehicle is broken into Liberal policies mandate that law enforcement will not even acknowledge a crime has been committed.

The opiate problem is because Liberals support open borders and sanctuary cities which along with the decent people that want to immigrate here, drug traffickers and some really horrific criminals are granted open reign to invade our country. Our President has begged Liberals in Congress to pass laws that would secure our borders and fix our broken immigration laws, but so far, all the Liberals want to do is try to railroad our President for crimes he didn't commit instead of doing the job they were elected to do.

Do you realize in your rant about the Opiate epidemic,, that just about all the drugs arrive through legal ports of entry ? Probably not as you have swallowed the racist lies that Trump keeps passing on to the uneducated.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Aesma

Tue May 28, 2019 7:11 am

If real estate is sky high then things must not be that bad. Else people would sell they expensive place and move elsewhere.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Magog

Tue May 28, 2019 8:25 am

Aesma wrote:
If real estate is sky high then things must not be that bad. Else people would sell they expensive place and move elsewhere.

Not bad for the rich, I suppose. For the middle and lower classes it’s a very different story.

Magog

Tue May 28, 2019 8:33 am

seb146 wrote:
There is a world of difference between a 20-something holding a sign on a corner that says "Vietnam Vet Anything Helps" and the non-English speaking people waiting in Home Depot parking lots. Don't know the difference? One is willing to do an honest day's hard work, the other is a right winger just wanting a hand out for nothing.

Exactly. All beggars are right wingers. No doubt they all voted for the Orange Cheeto in Chief.

I heard a conservative try to argue that the people in the Home Depot parking lot were taking jobs away and depressing wages for those jobs. I reminded him that the wages must be very high if so many people were lining up to do the work and that anyone was free to get in line, including all of those right wing beggars.

Spar

Tue May 28, 2019 8:51 am

stratclub wrote:
Spar wrote:

What you "Loony" Liberals can't seam to understand is that there are thousands of homeless individuals that need our help and you want to throw open the borders so that everyone including drug smugglers, human smugglers and hard core criminals should have unrestricted access to our country. And yes, I understand about places like San Francisco.

My own city of Seattle is suffering from the decline caused by Liberal agendas. What we need to do is take care of American citizens first. I could care less about people that have no right to our country when there are American born citizens that are living a marginalized existence.

I get so tired of you Liberals trying to turn America into a third world country. Americans are all ready crapping in the streets in San Fransisco and Seattle just like they do in India. When will you people have had enough of destroying America?
Actually I am in alignment with a major thrust of your view.

I would much prefer that the illegals weren't here, it's just that I do not go along with the Trump line and the Trump solution. IMO the solution is very simple and not only low cost, but it would actually be profitable for the government.

Just make it illegal to hire illegals. I don't mean the vague obscure pansy laws we have in place currently, I'm talking about laws that will put an end to people hiring illegals with certainty. Anyone who is found to be paying an illegal for labor should be faced with a no exceptions three days in jail, and that's just for people who hire gardeners. people who run businesses that hire illegals (knowingly or otherwise) need to receive draconian fines and confiscation of the business for a repeat offense. Officers and managers of companies should receive jail time and in cases where more than ten illegals are on a payroll prison terms should be applied. Nobody anywhere in the US should provide employment for an illegal without the knowledge that they are committing a felony. For the first 90 days or so the US government should offer free passage home to the illegals that are here, after that it's jail and deportation.

These people don't come here for the culture or the scenery, they come here for the money. So anything short of this is just so much bullshit IMO. The stupid wall is nothing but a three billion dollar publicity stunt.

flyguy89

Tue May 28, 2019 9:42 am

Aaron747 wrote:
And of course in recent years developers tend to show interest only in marquee projects targeting a particular purchasing segment.

While that's certainly true, and one certainly would want to target incentives toward more affordable development, at this point even the development of high end housing stock will have a trickle-down effect in relieving some of the pressure at the lower end of the market. I can understand approaches to additional development require some consideration, but if the city is serious about addressing the issue they need to embrace the fact that the building of more housing stock should be a priority.

Aesma

Tue May 28, 2019 12:05 pm

Magog wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Not bad for the rich, I suppose. For the middle and lower classes it’s a very different story.

Are there examples of expensive cities where it's easy for poor people to live in ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

MaverickM11

Tue May 28, 2019 1:43 pm

stratclub wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
flyguy89 wrote:

stratclub wrote:

To review, you claim sanctuary cities are driving:
1) California's opiate crisis, even though it's one of the least hit states in the nation, and OH/WV are 8-9x worse
2) California's homicide rate, even though the bible belt sh!t hole is 2-3x worse--you 'askin' those families' about their homicide rate?
Do you have anything backed by any actual data?

Aesma wrote:

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: It's a moose lamb caliphate hell hole homeless sanctuary city failed state that....people are paying top dollar to buy into :rotfl:
E pur si muove -Galileo

NIKV69

Tue May 28, 2019 2:03 pm

EA CO AS wrote:

Thank you for saving me a post.
"Some people did something" Rep Omar on 9/11

OriginalFalcon

Tue May 28, 2019 2:21 pm

The loony left? This nation is being ripped apart by fascist-like policies from the right, and you complain about the loony left? :roll: