Veigar
Topic Author

How do you guys feel about spiritual superstition?

Tue May 28, 2019 7:32 am

My friends seem to all base their beliefs on it based on the fact that there has been no one that disproved any of it - it being ghosts, god.. not believing in coincidences.. etc. Stuff like that. Karma is a good example too. I like to say that I don't care for beliefs like this since there are 7 billion+ people on the planet and not a single time has anything been legitimately documented or anything... I guess this kind of goes into religion, but not specific faiths, just believing in supernatural things in general.

Here's a personal story. A bit ago my friends and I drove to some haunted museum thing. This is in Las Vegas, by the Stratosphere. They wanted to go look at the front of the museum but I wasn't interested so I decided to stay in the car in a parking lot for some temple thing next door. I apparently disrespected it somehow by drawing something small on the wall (which admittedly, kind of counts as vandalism, but it wasn't anything big or serious by any stretch) and they started to freak out and that we shouldn't ever go back there. I didn't think it was a big deal and chalked it up to them being on drugs - this was a weird night that they decided to take LSD on. I didn't want any of that, obviously. Anyways, the next day one of them came to my house and we talked a bit about it. I told him that I didn't care about that place because after a bit of research, it seems to just be some random corny museum that some guy decided to open up in Vegas as an attraction. He said that I'm naive and "don't get it". Another thing that he thought was super creepy or screwed up or whatever is that the museum requires you to sign a waiver before you enter.

As for the temple, that was some place that people gathered for meetings, that they seemed to think was a satanist temple. Again, after some research, it just seems to be some random place people get together to talk about general religious things.

All in all I just feel really confused. Were they just looneys on drugs, or is there actually some basis behind this? Apologize for the really stupid and weird thread, but I think A.net opinions are some of the most interesting.

flipdewaf

Re: How do you guys feel about spiritual superstition?

Tue May 28, 2019 8:01 am

Whoa whoa, wait wait wait!!!

So...Your friends who had taken some hallucinogenic substances got all antsy when you vandalised some property by a feat that the spirits or satan were going to get you, and then they tell you its because no one can prove something doesn't exist?

I'd say: Grow up and stop vandalising buildings, and don't trust what intoxicated people tell you.

Fred

TSS

Tue May 28, 2019 9:10 am

flipdewaf wrote:
Whoa whoa, wait wait wait!!!

So...Your friends who had taken some hallucinogenic substances got all antsy when you vandalised some property by a feat that the spirits or satan were going to get you, and then they tell you its because no one can prove something doesn't exist?

I'd say: Grow up and stop vandalising buildings, and don't trust what intoxicated people tell you.

Fred

^ Good advice, that. I'll add that if your friend came over the day after doing LSD then he was still under it's effect even if he no longer felt "high".

As for the "supernatural/spiritual" thing, the usual suspects will come forward and poo-poo the idea that there is anything left in the world that hasn't already been explained fully. My personal observation on those who flatly refuse to entertain the possibility that there might be things going on here or there that we don't yet understand is that when it comes to going in a "haunted house", commercial or presumed actual, the people who staunchly declare "There are no such things as ghosts!" are the ones who are the most apprehensive, jumpy, and frightened, leading me to believe that deep down they're trying to convince themselves as much as or more than they're trying to convince others.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

Airstud

Tue May 28, 2019 10:07 am

Veigar wrote:
is there actually some basis behind this?

Behind what? All I've got so far is your friends went to a cheesy tourist attraction in Vegas while you drew something on the wall of the building next door. Your friends were tripping and one came by the next day.

You're asking if there's a "basis" behind that?
Pancakes are delicious.

Aesma

Tue May 28, 2019 12:04 pm

I don't believe in anything supernatural, however most of the time these beliefs are pretty harmless, unlike religions/cults.

If you start living your life according to these beliefs, that's another story. Like believing you're cursed because your life sucks, when in fact your life sucks because you do drugs.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

vikkyvik

Tue May 28, 2019 2:58 pm

Airstud wrote:
Veigar wrote:
is there actually some basis behind this?

Behind what? All I've got so far is your friends went to a cheesy tourist attraction in Vegas while you drew something on the wall of the building next door. Your friends were tripping and one came by the next day.

You're asking if there's a "basis" behind that?

Ditto.

Are you sure you didn't have any of that LSD?

Why the hell are you drawing on buildings, anyway?
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Tugger

Tue May 28, 2019 5:16 pm

Well this is a truly weird thread....
I will admit that I do believe in snowglobes and the evil power they contain.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Veigar
Topic Author

Tue May 28, 2019 10:02 pm

Aesma wrote:
I don't believe in anything supernatural, however most of the time these beliefs are pretty harmless, unlike religions/cults.

If you start living your life according to these beliefs, that's another story. Like believing you're cursed because your life sucks, when in fact your life sucks because you do drugs.

I think this is a good point.

I should also clarify that this was ages ago and I have grown up a bit since then. At least I hope!