surfpunk
Topic Author
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:20 pm

US Supreme Court Rejects Civil Asset Forfeiture

Thu May 30, 2019 6:19 pm

In a unanimous decision, the US Supreme Court ruled that the Excessive Fines clause of the 8th Amendment does apply to states, as spelled out in the 14th Amendment.

Bye bye, policing for profit. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

https://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/timbs-v-indiana/
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 8513
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: US Supreme Court Rejects Civil Asset Forfeiture

Thu May 30, 2019 6:21 pm

Well, everyone watch your speed on the roads. The revenue will be made up :)
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
surfpunk
Topic Author
Posts: 260
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:20 pm

Re: US Supreme Court Rejects Civil Asset Forfeiture

Thu May 30, 2019 6:34 pm

Of course, now I realize that this case was decided back in February. But it's a good decision, regardless.
 
910A
Posts: 1736
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:11 am

Re: US Supreme Court Rejects Civil Asset Forfeiture

Fri May 31, 2019 12:33 am

surfpunk wrote:
Of course, now I realize that this case was decided back in February. But it's a good decision, regardless.


I was going to say this is old news.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 3147
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: US Supreme Court Rejects Civil Asset Forfeiture

Fri May 31, 2019 1:14 am

casinterest wrote:
Well, everyone watch your speed on the roads. The revenue will be made up :)


So, government agents should be allowed to go stealing from the citizenry? What have we become? Nazi Germany?

GF
 
User avatar
Francoflier
Posts: 4819
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 pm

Re: US Supreme Court Rejects Civil Asset Forfeiture

Fri May 31, 2019 3:26 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
So, government agents should be allowed to go stealing from the citizenry? What have we become? Nazi Germany?

GF


What a reasoned and pragmatic assessment... Look, it even mentions Nazi Germany, the basis of all sound arguments.
:sarcastic:

The guy at the origin of this case is a drug dealer whose luxury SUV (which he bought with his father's life insurance money) was confiscated by the state after he was found guilty of selling heroin from it... Top bloke.

I am not condoning that the states should be able to arbitrarily take stuff from citizens, especially if there is no safeguard to prevent them from abusing it. On the other hand I am all for scumbags like this guy to pay their debt to society. And to be honest, for non-violent offenders, I'd often prefer they payed it with their wallets than by going to jail which is often ineffective and comes at a cost to the taxpayer. After all, if the principle is to pay a debt to society, they might as well do literally just that.

Maybe that should be done on a Federal level, or in a much more regulated legal framework to prevent abuse, but overall, I don't think it's a bad idea.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 8513
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: US Supreme Court Rejects Civil Asset Forfeiture

Fri May 31, 2019 11:30 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Well, everyone watch your speed on the roads. The revenue will be made up :)


So, government agents should be allowed to go stealing from the citizenry? What have we become? Nazi Germany?

GF


No, I was just making a joking point that budget are budgets. Civil Forfeiture on the scale it was being practiced was horrible, but it was profitable.
However go on with your tangents.
Where ever you go, there you are.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 3147
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: US Supreme Court Rejects Civil Asset Forfeiture

Fri May 31, 2019 4:42 pm

Francoflier wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
So, government agents should be allowed to go stealing from the citizenry? What have we become? Nazi Germany?

GF


What a reasoned and pragmatic assessment... Look, it even mentions Nazi Germany, the basis of all sound arguments.
:sarcastic:

The guy at the origin of this case is a drug dealer whose luxury SUV (which he bought with his father's life insurance money) was confiscated by the state after he was found guilty of selling heroin from it... Top bloke.

I am not condoning that the states should be able to arbitrarily take stuff from citizens, especially if there is no safeguard to prevent them from abusing it. On the other hand I am all for scumbags like this guy to pay their debt to society. And to be honest, for non-violent offenders, I'd often prefer they payed it with their wallets than by going to jail which is often ineffective and comes at a cost to the taxpayer. After all, if the principle is to pay a debt to society, they might as well do literally just that.

Maybe that should be done on a Federal level, or in a much more regulated legal framework to prevent abuse, but overall, I don't think it's a bad idea.


He was convicted of an underlying crime, maybe civil forfeiture is warranted, but not always. Families have lost everything when civil forfeiture was invoked and ultimately there was or wasn’t a conviction. Way too loosing used. I’d agree on paying money, not time served, but what if they don’t have any?

GF
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 3147
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: US Supreme Court Rejects Civil Asset Forfeiture

Fri May 31, 2019 4:43 pm

casinterest wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Well, everyone watch your speed on the roads. The revenue will be made up :)


So, government agents should be allowed to go stealing from the citizenry? What have we become? Nazi Germany?

GF


No, I was just making a joking point that budget are budgets. Civil Forfeiture on the scale it was being practiced was horrible, but it was profitable.
However go on with your tangents.


Not a tangent, a response to your suggestion that government needs the money, they’ll get it thru fines.

GF
 
dtw2hyd
Posts: 7069
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: US Supreme Court Rejects Civil Asset Forfeiture

Fri May 31, 2019 4:52 pm

Any stats on which state, county or city made most of it?
 
User avatar
johnboy
Posts: 3023
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 1999 9:09 pm

Re: US Supreme Court Rejects Civil Asset Forfeiture

Fri May 31, 2019 7:50 pm

Why do you think police leadership are so against cannabis legalization? I’d gather that a hefty chunk of revenue is collected at the local level by crooked cops. And a lot of them are crooked.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 8513
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: US Supreme Court Rejects Civil Asset Forfeiture

Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:02 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
casinterest wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

So, government agents should be allowed to go stealing from the citizenry? What have we become? Nazi Germany?

GF


No, I was just making a joking point that budget are budgets. Civil Forfeiture on the scale it was being practiced was horrible, but it was profitable.
However go on with your tangents.


Not a tangent, a response to your suggestion that government needs the money, they’ll get it thru fines.

GF


You have never driven through Stark Florida.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: B747forever, L410Turbolet, masi1157, Number6, tu204 and 30 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos