MaverickM11
Topic Author

White House Wanted USS John McCain ‘Out of Sight’ During Trump Visit

Thu May 30, 2019 7:39 pm

In today's totally rational cap'n Snowflake news...

"The White House wanted the U.S. Navy to move “out of sight” the warship USS John S. McCain ahead of President Trump’s visit to Japan, according to an email reviewed by The Wall Street Journal.

The ship was named after the father and grandfather of the late senator—a war hero who became a frequent target of Mr. Trump’s ire—and the senator’s name was added to the ship in 2018."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/white-hous ... 1559173470
E pur si muove -Galileo

Magog

Re: White House Wanted USS John McCain ‘Out of Sight’ During Trump Visit

Thu May 30, 2019 7:51 pm

I hate to bust the latest RSS news feed joyfest, but this turned out to be fake news.

The picture with the tarp was from the day before Trump's visit. According to the Navy Chief of Information, the name of the ship was not obscured during Trump's visit. MSNBC's Katy Tur has reported that the tarp was on the ship the day BEFORE Trump's visit, and was removed prior to Trump's visit.

Yawn.

Tugger

Thu May 30, 2019 7:55 pm

My guess, they just wanted to try and prevent some offhanded stupid comment by Trump. The sad thing is they feel the need to do things like this.

As he has been since he entered office and this Japan trip continues to demonstrate, Trump is a poor president.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Spar

Thu May 30, 2019 9:30 pm

Magog wrote:
I hate to bust the latest RSS news feed joyfest, but this turned out to be fake news.

The picture with the tarp was from the day before Trump's visit. According to the Navy Chief of Information, the name of the ship was not obscured during Trump's visit. MSNBC's Katy Tur has reported that the tarp was on the ship the day BEFORE Trump's visit, and was removed prior to Trump's visit.

Yawn.
The name had been hidden for Trump's visit but somebody woke up to the PR disaster they were embarking on and had the tarp removed.

You're quite the guy Magog, you have a bit of misinformation for each and every thread don't you?

Magog

Thu May 30, 2019 9:44 pm

Spar wrote:
Magog wrote:

Yawn.
The name had been hidden for Trump's visit but somebody woke up to the PR disaster they were embarking on and had the tarp removed.

You're quite the guy Magog, you have a bit of misinformation for each and every thread don't you?

The name wasn’t hidden during Trump’s visit. How odd that you would take issue with my clarifying this. Your partisanship runs deep.

Spar

Thu May 30, 2019 9:59 pm

Magog wrote:
Spar wrote:
Magog wrote:

Yawn.

The name wasn’t hidden during Trump’s visit. How odd that you would take issue with my clarifying this. Your partisanship runs deep.

What part of "The name had been hidden for Trump's visit but somebody woke up to the PR disaster they were embarking on and had the tarp removed, is it that you don't understand?

Magog

Thu May 30, 2019 10:30 pm

Spar wrote:
Magog wrote:
Spar wrote:

What part of "The name had been hidden for Trump's visit but somebody woke up to the PR disaster they were embarking on and had the tarp removed, is it that you don't understand?

The OP neglected to mention that very important detail. Thus my clarification. Take a deep breath. You shouldn’t be so triggered by important context.

wingman

Thu May 30, 2019 10:33 pm

You guys are arguing about before, after or during when the stupefying fact remains that someone close to our twat of a president felt the need to protect his tiny penis by covering up the name of a warship? I think just watching and reading about Trump is making Americans dumber by the day.

scbriml

Thu May 30, 2019 10:58 pm

wingman wrote:
You guys are arguing about before, after or during when the stupefying fact remains that someone close to our twat of a president felt the need to protect his tiny penis by covering up the name of a warship? I think just watching and reading about Trump is making Americans dumber by the day.

This!

Trump's ego is so fragile, someone on his team thought he needed to be protected from seeing McCain's name on a ship, FFS. Command in Chief? Pathetic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48456742
It was also reported that the warship's crew members, who have "USS John S McCain" on their caps, were sent home for the long weekend, along with the crew from another ship.

When some of them turned up to watch the speech anyway, the paper added, they were turned away.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Magog

Thu May 30, 2019 10:59 pm

It must be a slow news day. At least we have manufactured outrage to fall back on.

Aaron747

Thu May 30, 2019 11:35 pm

Magog wrote:
It must be a slow news day. At least we have manufactured outrage to fall back on.

Nothing manufactured or ‘outrageous’ here - just further evidence that 45 is highly snowflakey and his staff/minions are painfully aware.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Fri May 31, 2019 12:41 am

Magog wrote:

E pur si muove -Galileo

Francoflier

Fri May 31, 2019 3:09 am

Magog wrote:
Even on a slow news day and with something as silly and trivial as this.

Trivial? Sure.

Yet, the reason why these details keep surfacing and have a way of making themselves known is that they are a fascinating insight into the dysfunctional psyche and ego of the President.

On its own, and if it was the only one, this would indeed be nothing. That is certainly the narrative that Trump defenders put forward for every bit of similar news that comes out. The problem being, of course, that it is hard for those with more than a fleeting attention span to not connect the dots and draw a pretty damning picture of the man behind all these nuggets that keep coming up...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Dutchy

Fri May 31, 2019 7:06 am

That's just sad. Anyhow, shall we talk about the big problems with Trump: trade wars, corruption, tax cuts for the wealthy, climate denial etc. etc.
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Magog

Fri May 31, 2019 7:42 am

Dutchy wrote:
That's just sad. Anyhow, shall we talk about the big problems with Trump: trade wars, corruption, tax cuts for the wealthy, climate denial etc. etc.

My point exactly.

bennett123

Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:01 am

Please can someone explain WASP, WHMO and C7F.

Chaostheory

Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:43 am

bennett123 wrote:
Please can someone explain WASP, WHMO and C7F.

WASP is a boat. WHMO guessing something white house related. No idea about other.

It's nice to have you back Charles (aka Magog, Dreadnought et al)

bennett123

Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:39 pm

As WASP was in capitals, I thought it was an abbreviation.

I guessed that WHMO was White House something, but did not know what the something was.

As for your final comment, I have not said that I support anyone, just looking for information.

alfa164

Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:49 pm

bennett123 wrote:
As WASP was in capitals, I thought it was an abbreviation.
I guessed that WHMO was White House something, but did not know what the something was.
As for your final comment, I have not said that I support anyone, just looking for information.

WHMO Is White House Military Office.

C7F is the Commander of the 7th Fleet.

POTUS is the narcissistic man-child occupying the White House.

And I don't think Chaostheory's final sentence was directed at you.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:30 pm

Confirmed. Again.

The Navy confirms it received a request to move the USS John McCain out of Trump's sight in Japan
https://theweek.com/speedreads/844844/n ... ight-japan
E pur si muove -Galileo

Magog

Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:38 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Confirmed. Again.

The Navy confirms it received a request to move the USS John McCain out of Trump's sight in Japan

You left out an important piece of information:
“A request was made to the U.S. Navy to minimize the visibility of USS John S. McCain, however, all ships remained in their normal configuration during the President's visit.”

So, yeah. A big fat nothingburger.

alfa164

Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:42 pm

Magog wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Confirmed. Again.

“A request was made to the U.S. Navy to minimize the visibility of USS John S. McCain, however, all ships remained in their normal configuration during the President's visit.”

It is not a "nothingburger" when the White House Military Office thinks the narcissistic man-child occupying the White House is so petty that the office believes the name of the ship should be obscured. That is a true indictment of the situation at the top of this irrational administration.

Magog

Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:46 pm

alfa164 wrote:
Magog wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Confirmed. Again.

It is not a "nothingburger" when the White House Military Office thinks the narcissistic man-child occupying the White House is so petty that the office believes the name of the ship should be obscured. That is a true indictment of the situation at the top of this irrational administration.

It’s a nothingburger because there were some thoughts but nothing ultimately happened. As I’ve said before, it’s a testament to how well things are in this country when this is what people are complaining about.

alfa164

Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:50 pm

Magog wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
Magog wrote:

It’s a nothingburger because there were some thoughts but nothing ultimately happened. As I’ve said before, it’s a testament to how well things are in this country when this is what people are complaining about.

Whatever. . :roll: . You can keep arguing for the sake of arguing... but your game doesn't convince anyone.

"The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday that it had reviewed an email to Navy and Air Force officials dated May 15 that included the direction "USS John McCain needs to be out of sight" for Trump's Japan visit. CNBC has also obtained the email. NBC News has not reviewed the email."

The facts speak for themselves.

Magog

Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:55 pm

alfa164 wrote:
Magog wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

Whatever. . :roll: . You can keep arguing for the sake of arguing... but your game doesn't convince anyone.

"The Wall Street Journal reported Wednesday that it had reviewed an email to Navy and Air Force officials dated May 15 that included the direction "USS John McCain needs to be out of sight" for Trump's Japan visit. CNBC has also obtained the email. NBC News has not reviewed the email."

Right, so some idiot sent an email. And nothing happened. Talk about a slow news day.

MaverickM11
Topic Author

Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:08 pm

Magog wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Confirmed. Again.

Still trying too hard to add information irrelevant to the story. Sad. But not surprising..
E pur si muove -Galileo

Magog

Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:12 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Magog wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Confirmed. Again.

Still trying too hard to add information irrelevant to the story. Sad. But not surprising..

Context is now bad?

Just when I thought that I had heard it all!

alfa164

Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:22 pm

Magog wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
Right, so some idiot sent an email. And nothing happened. Talk about a slow news day.

"Right, so some idiot from the White House sent an email. And the Navy, commendably, refused to play along. Talk about a slow burn..."

That, I am sure, is what you meant to say...

bennett123

Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:48 pm

Seems that I owe Chaostheory an apology.

Good that the USN took a lead from Horactio Nelson.

The approach from the White House is a bit disappointing.

seb146

Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:57 pm

Magog wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Confirmed. Again.

The fact that military leaders actually had to discuss this and plan for this makes this a big fat juicy somethingburger with fries and slaw on the side. How many other American presidents has this happened with? That military leaders actually had to send emails around because the president would be so offended by the name of another American?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Magog

Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:31 pm

I’m sure that this type of concern is far from new. Lots of Presidential asses have been kissed. But if you want to be outraged, have at it.

SheikhDjibouti

Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:44 pm

Magog wrote:

Speaking of leaving out "important pieces of information", you seem to have done exactly that yourself. :banghead:
The name of John McCain was clearly covered up at some point; whereas your carefully edited statement implies it was never covered up by stating all ships "remained in their normal configuration".

The topic heading is "White house wanted....." It doesn't specify that the request was actioned. It's bad enough that the request was even made, and the nothingburger is the desperation involved in twisting the story in an attempt to make the fact the request was refused into the main story.
There is only one person here arguing that this red herring is the most important piece of information.

alfa164 wrote:
Magog wrote:
It’s a nothingburger because there were some thoughts but nothing ultimately happened.

Just some thoughts? Thank goodness nobody committed their thoughts in writing in say, an e-mail.....
It appears you left out another "important piece of information". Really, you are too careless. :shakehead:

Would you have us believe that when Russia placed nuclear missiles on Cuba in 1962 that was a nothingburger too, because the "important bit of information" is that they were never launched? Google suggests otherwise.

But still, if you want to continue arguing over which element of this story is the most trivial, go ahead, so that we here on a.net can continue highlighting this piece of Trump nonsense long after the rest of the planet have moved on to the next stupid action by the idiot-in-chief.
Nothing to see here; move along please.

Magog

Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:04 pm

The name wasn’t covered during Trump’s visit. We’ve been over this.

All we know is that somebody wanted to kiss a little ass. As I’ve said earlier, that’s far from an usual in any administration.

alfa164

Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:38 pm

Magog wrote:
The name wasn’t covered during Trump’s visit. We’ve been over this. All we know is that somebody wanted to kiss a little ass. As I’ve said earlier, that’s far from an usual in any administration.

Then name when something similar has happened in any previous administration.

Put up or shut up.
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
But still, if you want to continue arguing over which element of this story is the most trivial, go ahead, so that we here on a.net can continue highlighting this piece of Trump nonsense long after the rest of the planet have moved on to the next stupid action by the idiot-in-chief.

:checkmark:

Magog

Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:05 pm

Ego getting in the way of a visit with a foreign leader? Sure.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/davi ... -lt222ppr6

And here is McCain actually being upset with Obama.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ri ... 68f6d8cb21

Aaron747

Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:01 am

Magog wrote:
I’m sure that this type of concern is far from new. Lots of Presidential asses have been kissed. But if you want to be outraged, have at it.

Again, some of us are not outraged by the USN but POTUS defending this and dredging up hated dead-guy crap yet again for all the world to see because his parents never taught him about time and place. The office requires humility and maturity he lacks and that’s a problem, especially at 72.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Magog

Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:09 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Magog wrote:

Again, some of us are not outraged by the USN but POTUS defending this and dredging up hated dead-guy crap yet again for all the world to see because his parents never taught him about time and place. The office requires humility and maturity he lacks and that’s a problem, especially at 72.

Umm... There is no evidence that Trump even knew about this.

Aaron747

Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:26 am

Magog wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
Magog wrote:

Umm... There is no evidence that Trump even knew about this.

Talking about this - WSJ’s report on his response when asked why he was defending WH staff that took these actions:

Speaking to reporters Thursday as he left Washington for Colorado, Mr. Trump said of the White House request issued earlier this month: “I didn’t know a thing about it. I would never have done that.”

The president repeated his previous criticisms of the late senator and didn’t apologize for the directive, saying that the official who ordered the warship concealed “did it because they thought I didn’t like him.”

“They thought they were doing me a favor because they know I am not a fan of John McCain, ” he said. “I was very angry with John McCain because he killed health care,” he said, referring to a critical vote the Republican cast in 2017 that blocked the GOP effort to repeal the Affordable Care Act. “I was not a big fan of John McCain in any way shape or form.”

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/trump- ... 1559222411

That’s not any kind of mature answer - to relitigate against McCain? That’s not even the issue. The proper answer from a mature and competent manager is: I made no such request of my staff and wouldn’t because it would be unnecessary and beneath the office. Perhaps the individual involved was looking out for me, but they were mistaken. I will reiterate to all WH staff that DOD assets have a responsibility to be apolitical as they serve the nation, not the WH.
Last edited by Aaron747 on Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Magog

Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:27 am

So to recap, Trump knew nothing about it. People are outraged at Trump over something he knew nothing about. Sounds like a typical news cycle lately.

Aaron747

Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:31 am

Magog wrote:
So to recap, Trump knew nothing about it. People are outraged at Trump over something he knew nothing about. Sounds like a typical news cycle lately.

Whether or not he knew is irrelevant - his immature reaction and defense are the problem. Or...some are just incapable of seeing why he’s seen by so many as a grossly incompetent manager (and adult in general). All he needed to answer was what I (and his staff most likely) suggested, but noooo he has to hold all his baggage.

WarRI1

Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:53 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Magog wrote:

Whether or not he knew is irrelevant - his immature reaction and defense are the problem. Or...some are just incapable of seeing why he’s seen by so many as a grossly incompetent manager (and adult in general). All he needed to answer was what I (and his staff most likely) suggested, but noooo he has to hold all his baggage.

He is a big baby and so are his ass kissers who went to such lengths to hide the name of a ship carrying the name of a US Hero. The many, many men who served honorably and those who paid the ultimate price must be turning over in their graves. I am disgusted by these apologists we see on here, constantly defending the Yahoo we have in office. It does make me wonder about Russian Bots running a muck on here, what else could explain it?
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

scbriml

Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:50 am

Magog wrote:

Way to go missing the bigger picture.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

marcelh

Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:22 am

scbriml wrote:
Magog wrote:

Some folks aren’t able to see and understand the bigger picture. For those MAGA is all that matters....

alfa164

Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:38 am

scbriml wrote:
Magog wrote:

Some folks don't care about the bigger picture; they just come here to argue and quibble for the sake of arguing and quibbling... and hope to get their desperately-needed attention...

:roll:

Magog

Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:19 am

You can’t infer a bigger picture. As I said earlier, President asses get kissed all of the time.

alfa164

Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:30 am

marcelh wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Magog wrote:

Some folks aren’t able to see and understand the bigger picture. For those MAGA is all that matters....

.... and don't forget those folks who don't care about the bigger picture; they just care about collecting their paycheck (in Rubles) for spreading dissent and distrust. They are definitely here, too...

Magog

Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:55 am

alfa164 wrote:
marcelh wrote:
scbriml wrote:

.... and don't forget those folks who don't care about the bigger picture; they just care about collecting their paycheck (in Rubles) for spreading dissent and distrust. They are definitely here, too...

Back to ad hominem attacks. This thread is very predictable. When you can’t refute the facts, just scream, “But, Russia!”

jordanh

Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:09 pm

Magog wrote:
alfa164 wrote:
marcelh wrote:

Back to ad hominem attacks. This thread is very predictable. When you can’t refute the facts, just scream, “But, Russia!”

I don't think he is attacking anyone, but he is pointing out some facts. Do you object to facts?

Magog

Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:22 pm

jordanh wrote:
Magog wrote:
alfa164 wrote:

I don't think he is attacking anyone, but he is pointing out some facts. Do you object to facts?

Fact? Who on this forum is paid by Russia? Give me a break. The hysteria is now so bad that it’s a FACT that Russia has infiltrated A.net. TDS at its finest.

jordanh

Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:29 pm

Magog wrote:
jordanh wrote:
Magog wrote:

Fact? Who on this forum is paid by Russia? Give me a break. The hysteria is now so bad that it’s a FACT that Russia has infiltrated A.net. TDS at its finest.

If you don't think there are Russians here, and on almost every internet forum in the world, you are either ignorant of the facts or one of them.