seb146
Topic Author

The Same Products In Stores

Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:56 am

I get stores like Macy's and Kohl's having the same products. But why Safeway, IGA, and Kroeger? I spent a week away from home and went as far as Missoula, Montana. I enjoy local beers but it seems every store I went to, whether it was a mom-and-pop store or a chain, had the same stuff. I expect to see Bud, Coors, Natural Light, Corona, and Heiniken. I also saw Sierra Nevada, Joe, Weinhard, and Alaska. The same things I can get at home. When I go that far, I want local. I do not want to see the same stuff I have at home. I noticed it was not limited to beers. I strolled through the market and saw the exact same products in Montana we have here on the Oregon coast. Why?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

stl07

Re: The Same Products In Stores

Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:35 am

Likely similar sourcing as Montana is relatively close to Oregon. For example, I live in St. Louis, so when I go out to say rural MO/IL for hiking/camping/boating or even weekend trips to Chicago, Branson, or Little Rock/Hot Springs, the products are from the same/similarly located distributor. One time I was in southern Missouri at a town at the foot of a national park and all the beer had KC Chiefs logos on them as they were obviously from the same distributor as for Kansas city up north and west.
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

stl07

Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:44 am

Another reason may be the store you went to. For example, a Walmart or Kroger in California or Oregon may have similar items to one in St. Louis as they are national chains, but to get local stuff in STL you would have to go to a midwest grocery store chain like Schnucks as their items are sourced locally, and there may be a Schnucks equivalent in Montana you didn't know about as a visitor. (for either of my posts, feel free to correct me, anyone, I'm writing this based on observation and am by no means an expert)
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

seb146
Topic Author

Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:01 am

stl07 wrote:
Another reason may be the store you went to. For example, a Walmart or Kroger in California or Oregon may have similar items to one in St. Louis as they are national chains, but to get local stuff in STL you would have to go to a midwest grocery store chain like Schnucks as their items are sourced locally, and there may be a Schnucks equivalent in Montana you didn't know about as a visitor. (for either of my posts, feel free to correct me, anyone, I'm writing this based on observation and am by no means an expert)

Roseauers and Super One are probably the best examples of regional chains in the Northwest. Those still had the same things I saw at Safeway and Kroeger (they are called Fred Meyer in the Pacific Northwest). How far would I have to go to get something different? Not just beer but anything?

stl07

Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:41 am

Huh, that is odd

trpmb6

Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:51 pm

I can buy Alaska and Sierra Nevada in KS. They're basically national chains now. I find, at least for beer, it's best to not go to the box stores and instead find small hole in the wall liquor stores.

Ken777

Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:35 am

Try traveling overseas and you'll have no problem finding stores and restaurants that are familiar. McDonalds are everywhere - from Europe to Asia to Australia. I was in Vienna and needed to get a scarf to help with the cold. First shop I came to was The Gap, and they had the scarf for me. Companies and products generally are happy to go national, or international. Think about Apple as a perfect example.

TSS

Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:32 am

seb146 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Roseauers and Super One are probably the best examples of regional chains in the Northwest. Those still had the same things I saw at Safeway and Kroeger (they are called Fred Meyer in the Pacific Northwest). How far would I have to go to get something different? Not just beer but anything?

Because of the relatively low population density once you're off the coast, you'd probably have to get outside of the Northwest completely to see something different... either that, or in the case of beer specifically go to a city with an overall population large enough to have a thriving hipster community and the inevitable ironically-named craft beers produced therein.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

zakuivcustom

Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:11 am

Ken777 wrote:
Try traveling overseas and you'll have no problem finding stores and restaurants that are familiar. McDonalds are everywhere - from Europe to Asia to Australia. I was in Vienna and needed to get a scarf to help with the cold. First shop I came to was The Gap, and they had the scarf for me. Companies and products generally are happy to go national, or international. Think about Apple as a perfect example.

For Fast Food - while it is true that you can find McD all over the world, there are definitely things that they only sell in some countries. Yes, you can find Big Mac everywhere, but good luck finding things like “Shogun Burger” in US.

As for the OP - distribution chain for supermarkets are mostly national, hence the fact that most supermarkets will look the same, other than some ultra local goods (i.e. in a college town you may see goods related to that university).

seb146
Topic Author

Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:11 am

TSS wrote:
seb146 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

Because of the relatively low population density once you're off the coast, you'd probably have to get outside of the Northwest completely to see something different... either that, or in the case of beer specifically go to a city with an overall population large enough to have a thriving hipster community and the inevitable ironically-named craft beers produced therein.

I have not been to Nevada for a while but it seems like there was nothing different there. Elko and Winnemucca. I don't think hipsters have anything to do with it. They usually go for PBR or Coors. We have a small dog so flying it not an option but we really want to see Tampa, Miami, and Key West at some point. I love road trips so maybe I can talk him into it.....

seb146
Topic Author

Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:12 am

Ken777 wrote:

It is irritating to see that. I have only been to Mexico and Canada but I hated seeing McDonalds, Subway, Taco Bell, etc.

TSS

Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:49 am

seb146 wrote:
TSS wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I have not been to Nevada for a while but it seems like there was nothing different there. Elko and Winnemucca.

Although Elko and Winnemucca are in Nevada and therefore technically outside the Northwest, they're both still pressed right up against the Northwest and neither is a particularly large city.

seb146 wrote:
I don't think hipsters have anything to do with it. They usually go for PBR or Coors.

Interesting. Hipsters, or at least hipster types are the ones that have taken it upon themselves to make the craft beers around here.

seb146 wrote:
We have a small dog so flying it not an option but we really want to see Tampa, Miami, and Key West at some point. I love road trips so maybe I can talk him into it.....

No-one can take care of the dog while you're away? Driving to South Florida would involve crossing a fairly large part of the South any way you went about it.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

seb146
Topic Author

Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:08 am

TSS wrote:
seb146 wrote:
TSS wrote:

I have not been to Nevada for a while but it seems like there was nothing different there. Elko and Winnemucca.

Although Elko and Winnemucca are in Nevada and therefore technically outside the Northwest, they're both still pressed right up against the Northwest and neither is a particularly large city.

It seems there were different items at Alberson's and Smith's than in Washington, Oregon, and The Bay Area.

TSS wrote:
seb146 wrote:
I don't think hipsters have anything to do with it. They usually go for PBR or Coors.

Interesting. Hipsters, or at least hipster types are the ones that have taken it upon themselves to make the craft beers around here.

You are not in the Northwest, are you? LOL Hipsters gave up complicated coffee orders and craft beers in favor of fusion cuisine and cheap beers they charge way too much for.

TSS wrote:
seb146 wrote:
We have a small dog so flying it not an option but we really want to see Tampa, Miami, and Key West at some point. I love road trips so maybe I can talk him into it.....

No-one can take care of the dog while you're away? Driving to South Florida would involve crossing a fairly large part of the South any way you went about it.

I will not leave my baby alone!