UAUA
Topic Author

Which city you prefer? San Francisco or Los Angeles?

Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:07 am

Personally I do not like San Francisco. You get little sunshine and the weather is forever 8-12 degrees. Little beach/sea activities.

The weather in Los Angeles is so much better. Also the food. Also a lot more to do/visit such as Disneyland, Universal Studio, Hollywood etc.

But it seems to Los Angeles is more expensive.

You?
My former profile name was United Airline.

luckyone

Re: Which city you prefer? San Francisco or Los Angeles?

Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:21 am

SF by far. Great food can be had in both places. SF has more character, while LA just feel like a giant suburb. I personally don’t enjoy hot weather or the beach given that I go from bleached to lobster in about 30 minutes even with sunscreen. Anecdotally, the people in LA seem a bit sillier, more superficial. Both places have that sense of California in-your-face exhibitionism that you really notice if you’ve spent your life in the older cities of the East Coast and Midwest.

TWA772LR

Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:55 pm

SFO

LA is too fake and harder to get around.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

SL1200MK2

Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:21 pm

Interestingly, what you live about LA is what so many dislike. That being fast food and amusement parks.

afterburner

Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:38 pm

I've never been to either cities. In fact, I've never been to either North and South America. However, if I have to choose which city to visit first, I'll choose San Francisco. My wife have been to SF and she loved the city. It's more beautiful and has more character.

Kno

Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:51 pm

SF by A LOT.

The ONLY thing I would say is better in LA is the weather.

SF is a far more beautiful city, if you like doing generic touristy things as mentioned (Hollywood, Disney Land, etc) LA has it beat I have little interest as I tend to find those activities overcrowded and overrated and inauthentic to the actual city. For exploring nature, beautiful parks, sights with beautiful views, hole in the wall spots for live music, historical stuff, SF has LA beat easily. I would disagree that LA has better food, in fact I've found LA to be very disappointing food wise and SF to be exceptional - but I suppose that comes down to different sample sizes and what you're looking for.

LA is also grossly superficial and the traffic and lack of options to get around the city make everything stressful and inconvenient. Whenever somebody visits LA and asks for suggestions on what they should do I tell them to rent a car and drive straight to San Diego.

Aaron747

Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:52 pm

UAUA wrote:
Personally I do not like San Francisco. You get little sunshine and the weather is forever 8-12 degrees. Little beach/sea activities.

The weather in Los Angeles is so much better. Also the food. Also a lot more to do/visit such as Disneyland, Universal Studio, Hollywood etc.

You?

That's pretty limited considering the microclimates in the Bay Area - on many days even within the city when the fog holds behind Mount Sutro there can be a 10-12C difference between Ocean Beach/Richmond district and the downtown waterfront. And you can easily find 25C+ in the wine country and South Bay hills anytime late April and late October.

The food in both areas is great and really can't be compared. Obviously there is more Asian food in the Bay Area and in LA you have excellent Persian / Middle Eastern / etc though those are not difficult to find in the South Bay and Peninsula near SF either. LA has better museums, unless you like technology - the Intel and computer history museums in Silicon Valley are excellent in their own right.

LA and the Bay Area also both offer a multitude of scenic drives, hiking, beachcombing etc. One of the advantages to the beaches in the Bay Area is on weekdays in particular some in remote locations like Stinson Beach, Aptos, or Pescadero will be relatively devoid of people. Tourists are likely to descend on the Santa Monica pier and Orange County beaches both weekends and weekdays by comparison.

Honestly if you have any kind of curiosity or cultural interest, you have to be a *very* boring person to find yourself lacking things to do in either LA or the Bay Area.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

stl07

Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:26 pm

SF by far

Sure it is chilly, but at least I'm not breathing pollution.

La is a pain in the butt. So much traffic and all the attractions are so spread out that it takes hours to get from one to another. Meanwhile, in SF, you basically have to drive like 15 minutes anywhere in the Bay area to reach a national or state park. I even found a national park at the back of a residential neighborhood that overlooked SFO airport in South San Francisco. Try that in la
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

stl07

Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:31 pm

UAUA wrote:

You?

Are you American? I've noticed that visitors from other countries like la more as it is more of what is portrayed of as "America" while SF is more of it's own thing. If you are American, are you from a place that is far from California?
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

seb146

Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:35 pm

The brosband keeps doing this really annoying thing: He grabs me and says "OOOO!!! LOOK AT THAT!!!!" and we go down some side street or alley and end up in an amazing art installation or food pod or park or shop or something. Sure, Los Angeles has better weather, but they both have amazing food, shops, galleries, street fairs, sights....

For me, Los Angeles is better because of the freeways and transit. Unless you are close to a BART station, it will take forever to get anywhere in the Bay Area by transit. The freeways are constantly jammed. Los Angeles freeways have that far left lane that can get you anywhere quickly. The two Metro rail systems are pretty convenient but still comparable to BART.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Pi7472000

Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:49 pm

I love both cities, but it depends. If I am in Santa Monica(technically not LA), I much prefer the Los Angeles area. In terms of cities SFO is nicer, but LA wins hands down on the beach and coastal scene. I was shocked when I went to sunset beach in SFO how awful it was. Nothing going on and a lot of trash. Not nice for a world class city. The weather in LA is soooo much better as well. Way too cold for me in SFO.

I love Alameda across the bay in SFO another hidden gem. I prefer OAK overall though, much more equitable and diverse city compared to SFO and LA. Sacramento is also getting much better as so may Bay Area people move to SMF for cheaper rent. I was really impressed with Sacramento. Overall city to city only I would pick SFO, Although Santa Monica, Sacramento, Oakland, and Long Beach are my favorite cities in California. California is def. The best U.S. state after Hawaii!!

UAUA
Topic Author

Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:33 pm

stl07 wrote:
UAUA wrote:

You?

Are you American? I've noticed that visitors from other countries like la more as it is more of what is portrayed of as "America" while SF is more of it's own thing. If you are American, are you from a place that is far from California?

I am Canadian hongkongese but I soent time in both LA and SF

n562wn

Which city you prefer? San Francisco or Los Angeles?

Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:45 pm

Pi7472000 wrote:
I love both cities, but it depends. If I am in Santa Monica(technically not LA), I much prefer the Los Angeles area. In terms of cities SFO is nicer, but LA wins hands down on the beach and coastal scene. I was shocked when I went to sunset beach in SFO how awful it was. Nothing going on and a lot of trash. Not nice for a world class city. The weather in LA is soooo much better as well. Way too cold for me in SFO.

I love Alameda across the bay in SFO another hidden gem. I prefer OAK overall though, much more equitable and diverse city compared to SFO and LA. Sacramento is also getting much better as so may Bay Area people move to SMF for cheaper rent. I was really impressed with Sacramento. Overall city to city only I would pick SFO, Although Santa Monica, Sacramento, Oakland, and Long Beach are my favorite cities in California. California is def. The best U.S. state after Hawaii!!

I'm not a big fan of California for various reasons despite being a native; but Sacramento, Oakland and Long Beach with no mention of San Diego? Color me stunned
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

mham001

Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:11 pm

Maybe I have not been in the right places but I have never had to dodge human excrement on the sidewalks anywhere in LA like I do in SF (and San Jose).

Dieuwer

Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:20 pm

San Diego? ;)

janders

Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:20 pm

LA by wide margin.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

UPlog

Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:22 pm

I'll visit Los Angeles any day, while I purposely avoiding SF bay area.

SF seems to have actually gotten significantly worse in recent years, streets full of homeless and increasingly rundown infrastructure/road etc.

mercure1

Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:31 pm

Another vote for Los Angeles region.

Yes its spread out, but there are great number of freeways and surface options to get around. With 80+ independent cities there is an incredible variety of things to see and do in every corner of the region. Incredible diversity in ethnic food options. I have always found LA cheaper than SF especially in areas such as accommodations. And yes the weather is probably one of the best in the world - never truly cold, and rarely too hot.
mercure f-wtcc

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:24 am

Nice places to visit, but wouldn’t live there. Here’s news, the Sun shines on the whole planet, not just Cali.

GF

mdsh00

Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:29 am

Southern California raised so I might be biased.

SF might be more interesting for tourists because of scenery and architecture along with being smaller, but to say LA is some vapid wasteland and a s**thole is ignorant and playing on stereotypes. They're very different cities and it really matters if you are talking about visiting vs. living in either place. Also, it's important to differentiate between LA/SF vs their whole metro area.

City of LA is huge and sprawling. Yes traffic sucks, mass transit sucks, and LAX could be a whole lot better. BUT, LA is a lot more than Hollywood and theme parks. For those into arts, there's shows, plays, talks going on daily, and multiple museums of every kind. There's plenty of great places to shop. Nightlife is better in LA and there are plenty of great places to walk around. My favorite parts of LA are the Arts District and the area near 3rd street and The Grove.

While SF may claim they are better due to their larger fine dining scene and Michelin rated restaurants, LA takes a different approach. The food truck scene started in LA. Being an ethnic melting pot, you can find amazing foods from all over the world here. Fine dining is IMO is nearly as good as SF, even though Michelin refuses to acknowledge LA. (the late) Jonathan Gold was LA's Michelin Guide.

And for those who say "the Bay Area has so much character." I can agree with SF and the East Bay (Oakland/Berkeley/Alameda). Otherwise the Silicon Valley looks just the same as a Southern California suburb. Also, the Bay Area ranks just behind the LA area for air quality, and we all know how much of a heroin needles and human excrement problem that SF has.

SF and LA are two very different cities and hard to compare. I say we should enjoy them for what they are because they both make California great.

And I agree with some of the other posters here: Poor San Diego is always getting looked over. It's a wonderful city too and my favorite place to go when I want to get away on a long weekend.

UAUA
Topic Author

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:09 am

Which city is more expensive? LA I guess?

For properties? If we are talking about Beverly Hills VS Pala Alto (that's San Jose) which area is more expensive?

Aaron747

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:16 am

UAUA wrote:
Which city is more expensive? LA I guess?

For properties? If we are talking about Beverly Hills VS Pala Alto (that's San Jose) which area is more expensive?

Both are generally expensive with a wide range of pricing, but low quality housing in the Bay Area is generally more expensive than LA - houses can often go for $400-$600K in parts of Oakland considered dangerous, whereas this would be rare in eastern or south LA city proper.

Palo Alto is definitely not San Jose to be specific - Palo Alto is generally very expensive whereas San Jose has a range of pricing.

In general, Bay Area housing is expensive in hill areas, and hinterlands and flat areas near the bay itself are cheaper. Along the peninsula, anything east of the 101 freeway is considered ‘ghetto’ and cheaper - in the East Bay, the hills off the 580 freeway are desirable while the flats on both sides of the 880 freeway are ‘ghetto’. In SF city, there are highly distinct pricing zones by neighborhood name - while names have changed over the years, desirable areas are more or less the same.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

aviationaware

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:50 am

San Francisco because better gay scene, but really both cities are now absolute blights with out of control homeless populations, public services breakdowns and sanitary disasters (presumably linked to issue #1).
I wouldn't want to live in either, but LA is probably not even worth visiting unlike SF.

Max Q

Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:58 am

SFO with LA weather would be perfection
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Braybuddy

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:35 am

I've been to L.A. many times, but only once to San Fran, so I suppose that answers your question.

Aaron747

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:43 am

Max Q wrote:
SFO with LA weather would be perfection

That’s basically SJC weather, it’s just a 2-hour slog in traffic to get to SF city :smile:

UAUA
Topic Author

Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:17 pm

Which is more expensive? Beverly Hills or Pala Alto?

rlwynn

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:08 pm

Beverly Hills.
I can drive faster than you

Georgetown

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:21 am

The comparison is Atherton versus Beverly Hills as opposed to Palo Alto (although on a per square foot basis I’m not sure). As a datapoint, a three bedroom home on 1/5th of an acre that I lived in in Palo Alto nearly 20 years ago recently just sold for $6.5 million. A two bedroom flat that I used to live in back in the day (upper level of a split level house, no yard) just sold for $1.75 million. Bay Area on a whole is more expensive than LA, meaningfully so in SF proper as well as towns such as Atherton, Belvedere, Tiburon, etc.
Let's go Hoyas!

sonicruiser

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:41 am

LA all day.

SF is nice but it feels too much like a real city which makes it extremely impractical for daily living. LA may be a loose collection of suburbs but it has great weather and a great economy. It may be ugly compared to SF but it is a very practical, enjoyable, and relative to SF, an affordable place to live precisely because of its suburban nature as compared to SF which is too rushed, crowded, and expensive.

BravoOne

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:54 am

Raised in LA and lived in SFO for 15 years. Prefer SFO by far, but both cities have succumbed to the far left and continue to slide down hill...rapridy. Both places tale a huge amount of money to be comfortable and to a degree safe.

KentB27

Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:47 am

They both are terrible.

I think LA is slightly less terrible though.

Aeroflot777

Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:17 am

sonicruiser wrote:
SF is nice but it feels too much like a real city which makes it extremely impractical for daily living.

:?: That's a new one, wins comment of the day. Real cities are impractical for daily living? :roll:

Even with all of the current issues plaguing SF and its infrastructure, I would take a SF over Los Angeles any hour of any day during the year.

stratosphere

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:44 pm

I liked SFO better but I havent been to either since the 80's and early 90's so things might have changed. San Fran has a lot of character that LA doesn't really have in my opinion., But I could never live in CA too expensive and too liberal for my tastes.

stl07

Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:16 am

stratosphere wrote:
But I could never live in CA too expensive and too liberal for my tastes.

Expensive definitely, Liberal it depends on where you are. Apart from the bay area and the LA basin CA isn't all that liberal, either moderate democrat/republican or dark red in a lot of the rural areas.

Super80Fan

Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:37 am

Neither. NYC over both of them. If I had to pick a California city though, San Diego.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

acentauri

Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:33 am

San Francisco, primarily because it's the Gateway to God's Country - SANTA CRUZ.

DaveFly

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:29 pm

I’ve been to both cities several times for business and leisure. It reminds me that I’ve read in various travel books/blogs/columns that the only truly unique cities in the U.S. (based on culture/architecture/geography etc) are San Francisco, New Orleans, and New York. I’d probably agree with that, although I’d add Boston and Miami as well. That isn’t to say there aren’t other many great American cities; I think the writers were saying that they’re rather interchangeable.
L1011,DC8,DC9,DC10,MD80/90
A300,A319,320,321,330,340,
CRJ,E135/45/190,
DH8,Avro85,DHBeaver,AstarHelo,F100,ATR42

winginit

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:40 pm

UAUA wrote:

That's very much not the case, although things get skewed if you're just comparing the City of San Francisco, a relatively small place geographically, to the behemoth that is the City of Los Angeles.

Average Rent in San Francisco is $3,426/mo
Average Rent in Los Angeles is $2,371/mo (that appears to exclude Santa Monica and West Hollywood)

At the end of the day a comparison should only be made between 'The Bay Area' (including OAK and SJC) and 'Los Angeles' (including Santa Monica, West Hollywood, and the Valley but not Orange County) for a true apples to apples comparison in terms of geography and population.

To answer the question, I'm of the opinion that the weather tips the scales in Los Angeles' favor, although both are lovely.

787Driver

Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:21 pm

I prefer SF of the two but talking west coast, I would prefer both San Diego and Seattle over SF and LA for different reasons.

And on my top US city list I’d include Miami too. Love the atmosphere in Miami.

Downtown LA wins the category for the most boring downtown area of any city I’ve ever visited. There’s nothing there.
Last edited by 787Driver on Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

787Driver

Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:23 pm

stratosphere wrote:
I liked SFO better but I havent been to either since the 80's and early 90's so things might have changed. San Fran has a lot of character that LA doesn't really have in my opinion., But I could never live in CA too expensive and too liberal for my tastes.

Not a lot has changed tbh. I went to both cities as a child in the early 90s and to me they look pretty much the same today ( I travel to both cities many times a year )

aerorobnz

Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:36 pm

SF is way more "beautiful" topographically. However..You can't walk a city block in SF without seeing needles and human shit on the sidewalk from all the scores of homeless. It actually put me off going there this trip (I went to LA instead). I have visited LA many more times than SF, but it is becoming a real problem there, especially as for tourists who may not know the local ways to navigate around the problem.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

Spar

Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:06 pm

aerorobnz wrote:
SF is way more "beautiful" topographically. However..You can't walk a city block in SF without seeing needles and human shit on the sidewalk from all the scores of homeless. It actually put me off going there this trip (I went to LA instead). I have visited LA many more times than SF, but it is becoming a real problem there, especially as for tourists who may not know the local ways to navigate around the problem.
That's bullshit. That isn't even true in the Tenderloin.

afcjets

Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:59 pm

787Driver wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

Not a lot has changed tbh. I went to both cities as a child in the early 90s and to me they look pretty much the same today ( I travel to both cities many times a year )

Are you kidding? The skyline now has a giant dildo (Salesforce Tower) and I saw a recent pic where the buildings were so dense the skyline looked like one giant building with no sky between the buildings. I don't even remember SF having much of a skyline then, just the Transamerica building which looks more like an ancient landmark.

You were a kid in the early 90s and you're already driving a 787? Congrats!

787Driver

Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:11 pm

afcjets wrote:
787Driver wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

Are you kidding? The skyline now has a giant dildo (Salesforce Tower) and I saw a recent pic where the buildings were so dense the skyline looked like one giant building with no sky between the buildings. I don't even remember SF having much of a skyline then, just the Transamerica building which looks more like an ancient landmark.

You were a kid in the early 90s and you're already driving a 787? Congrats!

Fair enough. Some more skyscrapers were added to the skyline, but that’s pretty much it in my opinion.

And thanks. I know in the US it would be unheard of flying a plane like a 787 at my age but in Europe it’s not that uncommon. I’m in my early 30s btw

I’ll be landing in JFK in a few days. If you’re nearby, we can meet up for some avgeek talks over a beer :)

mham001

Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:34 am

Spar wrote:
aerorobnz wrote:

Really. Better talk that over with city officials, there some good career opportunities on the SF Poop Patrol...

San Francisco has a 'Poop Patrol' to deal with its feces problem, and workers make more than $184,000 a year in salary and benefits
https://www.businessinsider.com/san-fra ... 018-8?op=1

I know it's Business Insider but it's widely reported. I nearly stepped in human waste walking my daughter to school in San Jose. Watched a guy point his butt towards traffic stopped at a light and let loose right in front of a car full of tourists one day. Lovely. Liberalism run amuk. And that is significant because while we have money to invite and give illegals more free health care, we either cannot afford to lock up the mentally demented or the liberals do not have the will.

Case in point, more recent news...
SF supervisors tepidly support tiny expansion of forced treatment for mentally ill
The San Francisco Board of Supervisors passed a controversial law Tuesday that will allow the city to force about five people who are severely mentally ill and addicted to drugs into inpatient treatment.

After months of intense debate in City Hall, the board voted 10-1, with Supervisor Shamann Walton dissenting, to adopt state law SB 1045.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics/ar ... 937403.php

stl07 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

Expensive definitely, Liberal it depends on where you are. Apart from the bay area and the LA basin CA isn't all that liberal, either moderate democrat/republican or dark red in a lot of the rural areas.

I don't know that that matters much when the State is controlled by liberal politicians from the cities and they steal your money any way they can.

Aaron747

Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:04 am

mham001 wrote:
Spar wrote:
aerorobnz wrote:

Really. Better talk that over with city officials, there some good career opportunities on the SF Poop Patrol...

San Francisco has a 'Poop Patrol' to deal with its feces problem, and workers make more than $184,000 a year in salary and benefits
https://www.businessinsider.com/san-fra ... 018-8?op=1

I know it's Business Insider but it's widely reported. I nearly stepped in human waste walking my daughter to school in San Jose. Watched a guy point his butt towards traffic stopped at a light and let loose right in front of a car full of tourists one day. Lovely. Liberalism run amuk. And that is significant because while we have money to invite and give illegals more free health care, we cannot afford to lock up the mentally demented.
stl07 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

I don't know that that matters much when the State is controlled by liberal politicians from the cities and they steal your money any way they can.

Are you a transplant? Because the ‘liberalism run amok’ mantra is tired. CA has always attracted eccentrics and weirdos right alongside hard-working folks and entrepreneurs - any native knows this.

In any case you may not have been around then but California is far safer now than when violent crime peaked from 1972 to the early 90s under Reagan/Brown/Deukmejian/Wilson governorships - of which only one was Democrat.

mdsh00

Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:43 pm

Spar wrote:
aerorobnz wrote:

It isn't bullshit. I know an old classmate from High School who lives in SoMa and complained about it a few weeks ago. Homeless guy parked himself in front of his driveway and the city wasn't doing much to stop it.

Dieuwer

Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:32 pm

If SF residents are so unhappy about their city council, then maybe they should stop voting for the same politician over and over again and expect a different result.

vikkyvik

Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:53 pm

787Driver wrote:
Not a lot has changed tbh.

Somewhat amusingly, given this comment:

787Driver wrote:
Downtown LA wins the category for the most boring downtown area of any city I’ve ever visited.

....downtown LA has actually undergone quite a bit of change, and that is continuing.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".