mham001

Re: Which city you prefer? San Francisco or Los Angeles?

Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:09 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
mham001 wrote:
Spar wrote:
That's bullshit. That isn't even true in the Tenderloin.

Really. Better talk that over with city officials, there some good career opportunities on the SF Poop Patrol...

San Francisco has a 'Poop Patrol' to deal with its feces problem, and workers make more than $184,000 a year in salary and benefits
https://www.businessinsider.com/san-fra ... 018-8?op=1

I know it's Business Insider but it's widely reported. I nearly stepped in human waste walking my daughter to school in San Jose. Watched a guy point his butt towards traffic stopped at a light and let loose right in front of a car full of tourists one day. Lovely. Liberalism run amuk. And that is significant because while we have money to invite and give illegals more free health care, we cannot afford to lock up the mentally demented.
stl07 wrote:

Expensive definitely, Liberal it depends on where you are. Apart from the bay area and the LA basin CA isn't all that liberal, either moderate democrat/republican or dark red in a lot of the rural areas.

I don't know that that matters much when the State is controlled by liberal politicians from the cities and they steal your money any way they can.

Are you a transplant? Because the ‘liberalism run amok’ mantra is tired. CA has always attracted eccentrics and weirdos right alongside hard-working folks and entrepreneurs - any native knows this.

In any case you may not have been around then but California is far safer now than when violent crime peaked from 1972 to the early 90s under Reagan/Brown/Deukmejian/Wilson governorships - of which only one was Democrat.

You mean less crime is reported now. My city doesn't want to take reports on many things now, it isn't even worth reporting burglaries. I lived in SF in the mid 80's. There was no homeless problem because it simply wasn't tolerated, I can speak about this because I was living low myself during that period.

I've also been around the same neighborhood in central San Jose, 50 miles south since that time. Your claim is nonsense in that city. As city hall became more liberal, I watched things "progress" far worse despite several failed attempts at redevelopment. Gangs have overrun the place, proudly strutting down the street and it is not unusual to find drunks in the gutter in front of the house. Women and kids cannot go to the local parks and this is only 4 blocks from City Hall. Now the city has to float special bonds to keep up on filling potholes that would be a routine budget item in any coherent municipality, they let go of a large chunk of police department, cannot pay for the stupendous public-employee pensions the union-friendly councils approved but do have millions to accommodate illegals. These are not exactly Conservative ideals...

compensateme

Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:27 pm

787Driver wrote:
Not a lot has changed tbh. I went to both cities as a child in the early 90s and to me they look pretty much the same today ( I travel to both cities many times a year )

Not a lot has changed? Then you obviously haven't spent much time in either city. If you're truly a casual visitor "many times per year," the demographic shifts in the Greater LA Area -- especially race and income - and their impact on region are hard not to notice, especially since the 2000s.

787Driver wrote:
Downtown LA wins the category for the most boring downtown area of any city I’ve ever visited.

Have ya ever been to Skid Row, Little Tokyo, the Toy District, etc.? Might want to actually visit LA for more than an hour or two that you spent with your mom and dad...
We don’t care what your next flight is.

787Driver

Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:37 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
787Driver wrote:
Not a lot has changed tbh.

Somewhat amusingly, given this comment:

787Driver wrote:
Downtown LA wins the category for the most boring downtown area of any city I’ve ever visited.

....downtown LA has actually undergone quite a bit of change, and that is continuing.

Nothing amusing. To me it looks the same based on pictures I´ve seen from 30 years ago. Streets may have become a lot safer, but visually it doesn´t look that much different to me.

787Driver

Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:39 pm

compensateme wrote:
Not a lot has changed? Then you obviously haven't spent much time in either city. If you're truly a casual visitor "many times per year," the demographic shifts in the Greater LA Area -- especially race and income - and their impact on region are hard not to notice, especially since the 2000s.

Come again. I´m in LA at least 6 times per year.

OK I haven´t noticed that.

vikkyvik

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:02 pm

787Driver wrote:
Nothing amusing. To me it looks the same based on pictures I´ve seen from 30 years ago. Streets may have become a lot safer, but visually it doesn´t look that much different to me.

And if how it looks visually from a distance was the true measure on whether anything's changed, then you might have a point.

Besides, you obviously missed that new "tallest" building in LA (tallest in quotes because it's just the spire, but still).
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

787Driver

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:06 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
787Driver wrote:

And if how it looks visually from a distance was the true measure on whether anything's changed, then you might have a point.

Besides, you obviously missed that new "tallest" building in LA (tallest in quotes because it's just the spire, but still).

Well that was my measure. Looks like we misunderstood each other then.

winginit

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:52 pm

787Driver wrote:
vikkyvik wrote:
787Driver wrote:
Not a lot has changed tbh.

787Driver wrote:

....downtown LA has actually undergone quite a bit of change, and that is continuing.

Huh? ... L.A. Live alone completely refutes your statement, and that's only a small piece of what Downtown LA is today compared to even ten years ago.

787Driver

Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:48 pm

winginit wrote:
787Driver wrote:
vikkyvik wrote:

Huh? ... L.A. Live alone completely refutes your statement, and that's only a small piece of what Downtown LA is today compared to even ten years ago.

Agree to disagree then.

LMP737

Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:11 pm

UAUA wrote:
Personally I do not like San Francisco. You get little sunshine and the weather is forever 8-12 degrees. Little beach/sea activities.

The weather in Los Angeles is so much better. Also the food. Also a lot more to do/visit such as Disneyland, Universal Studio, Hollywood etc.

But it seems to Los Angeles is more expensive.

You?

I'd pick San Diego.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

mad99

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:38 am

compensateme wrote:
787Driver wrote:
Not a lot has changed tbh. I went to both cities as a child in the early 90s and to me they look pretty much the same today ( I travel to both cities many times a year )

787Driver wrote:

Have ya ever been to Skid Row, Little Tokyo, the Toy District, etc.? Might want to actually visit LA for more than an hour or two that you spent with your mom and dad...

Does that mean it’s a better place now or worse?

N14AZ

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:45 pm

My wife prefers San Francisco whereas I somehow liked LA more than SF.

Toto, formed in Los Angeles, wrote a nice song about San Francisco:

„Take the cable car to Jackson
It's a Friday night affair
Madam Rose's legendary honeycomb

With an ounce of intuition
You can feel it in the air
This working boy has found a place to roam

As some familiar faces
Watch every move you make
And at midnight games are snaking through the alleyway
Where they used to play

Down in Chinatown..woah
Where the nights are always longer than the days
Down in Chinatown..woah
With the dragon eyes that overlook the bay
Hey yeah

There's a lair below the city
Where the bottom dwellers go
Trying to find that thrill they've never known

A woman bores the absinthe
As the paper lanterns glow
I think Ms. Jones is better left alone

The corridors are endless
It's not hard to lose your way
Where old men smoke and gamble into Saturday
Do you want to play?

Down in Chinatown..woah
Down in Chinatown..woah
Hey yeah

If the California street line
Is the only way you know
You might want to play it safe
Down on Grant Avenue
Where he waits for you

Down in Chinatown..woah
Down in Chinatown..woah
Hey yeah“

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lylU5Oeboas

zakuivcustom

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:57 pm

For me, LA is a better place to live of the two, while SF is more pleasant for visiting as it does have more "character" (Although if the tech bros continue to have their way, those "character" maybe gone one day also). LA simply has better weather, has something for everybody (Shopping, Outdoor, Foodies, Art, etc.), plus it's closer to the best large city in California call San Diego :).

Actually, I'll go with what a few other posters already mentioned - San Diego all the way!

DL717

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:46 pm

Spar wrote:
aerorobnz wrote:
SF is way more "beautiful" topographically. However..You can't walk a city block in SF without seeing needles and human shit on the sidewalk from all the scores of homeless. It actually put me off going there this trip (I went to LA instead). I have visited LA many more times than SF, but it is becoming a real problem there, especially as for tourists who may not know the local ways to navigate around the problem.

Ever ride the piss line, I mean BART? Or walk around the Embarcadero and have some derelict shout obscenities at you? I suppose not.

My vote is for neither. They are both largely shitholes surrounded by pockets of nice areas.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

Aaron747

Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:09 pm

DL717 wrote:
Spar wrote:
aerorobnz wrote:
SF is way more "beautiful" topographically. However..You can't walk a city block in SF without seeing needles and human shit on the sidewalk from all the scores of homeless. It actually put me off going there this trip (I went to LA instead). I have visited LA many more times than SF, but it is becoming a real problem there, especially as for tourists who may not know the local ways to navigate around the problem.

Ever ride the piss line, I mean BART? Or walk around the Embarcadero and have some derelict shout obscenities at you? I suppose not.

My vote is for neither. They are both largely shitholes surrounded by pockets of nice areas.

Obviously you have never dined with a lady at the Top of the Mark, staved off a hangover with a 2 am patty melt at Lori’s, done a Chinatown pub crawl with buddies, sunned yourself with brews and hilarious tales from biker bears at Zeitgeist, or spent an inspired afternoon with a furry family friend at Crissy Field.

If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

zakuivcustom

Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:55 pm

DL717 wrote:

LOL...isn't that like every single larger city in US?

Seriously, ride any bus in any US city without those bus smelling like piss? Or walk around any city center area where there are some derelicts that should be in an asylum?

mham001

Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:38 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
DL717 wrote:

Seriously, ride any bus in any US city without those bus smelling like piss? Or walk around any city center area where there are some derelicts that should be in an asylum?

I live on a city border far removed from the city center area. On one side, the homeless abound, panhandling on the medians, hanging out in the shopping center parking lots and drinking all day long. Across the street, none of that exists. Simple reason, it isn't tolerated. As I recall, San Diego doesn't have this problem either. So your implication that this is an equal problem is unequivocally false. Sure, there has always been skid rows but never of the magnitude *some* cities are seeing today.

zakuivcustom

Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:15 pm

mham001 wrote:
I live on a city border far removed from the city center area. On one side, the homeless abound, panhandling on the medians, hanging out in the shopping center parking lots and drinking all day long. Across the street, none of that exists. Simple reason, it isn't tolerated. As I recall, San Diego doesn't have this problem either. So your implication that this is an equal problem is unequivocally false. Sure, there has always been skid rows but never of the magnitude *some* cities are seeing today.

SD did have that Hep A outbreak, largely among homeless population, just a few years back. So you can't say SD doesn't have problems similar to SF or LA, just not as bad.

On a side note, what you're describing is very typical "chasing away the homeless" and boom, they're no longer "our" problem but "theirs". Personally, I live in one of those city where homeless are literally being transported into from outlying rural areas, and needless to say, homeless is somewhat of a problem where I live, also (Nowhere as bad as SF/LA, though).

DL717

Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:16 pm

mham001 wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:
DL717 wrote:

Google turns up about 100 recent articles ranking San Diego as #4 in homeless population and I’m sure their busses smell like piss too.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

Georgetown

Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:59 pm

mdsh00 wrote:
Spar wrote:
aerorobnz wrote:

It isn't bullshit. I know an old classmate from High School who lives in SoMa and complained about it a few weeks ago. Homeless guy parked himself in front of his driveway and the city wasn't doing much to stop it.

I live in SF proper. It is absolute BS and sophomoric hyperbole to say it’s everywhere and you can’t walk down the street without seeing needles and human waste. Period full stop. That being said, there are parts of town where you do encounter it occasionally, with the tenderloin being particularly bad.
Let's go Hoyas!

luckyone

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:04 am

Georgetown wrote:
mdsh00 wrote:
Spar wrote:

It isn't bullshit. I know an old classmate from High School who lives in SoMa and complained about it a few weeks ago. Homeless guy parked himself in front of his driveway and the city wasn't doing much to stop it.

I live in SF proper. It is absolute BS and sophomoric hyperbole to say it’s everywhere and you can’t walk down the street without seeing needles and human waste. Period full stop. That being said, there are parts of town where you do encounter it occasionally, with the tenderloin being particularly bad.

You encounter that everywhere, regardless of what some people may see. I interviewed at 7 jobs in the past nine months ranging from Billings, Montana to Pittsburgh to Chicago to Seattle. They all have the same problems with homelessness and drugs.

Aaron747

Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:29 am

luckyone wrote:
Georgetown wrote:
mdsh00 wrote:

You encounter that everywhere, regardless of what some people may see. I interviewed at 7 jobs in the past nine months ranging from Billings, Montana to Pittsburgh to Chicago to Seattle. They all have the same problems with homelessness and drugs.

Of course they do - that’s ‘Murica!
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty