mdsh00
Topic Author

Any watch nerds here? Need some advice.

Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:27 pm

So I figure there must be some watch geeks in this group. I would consider myself an avid watch enthusiast.

Anyway, I'm looking for a watch to commemorate my 10th Wedding anniversary. I have it down to an Omega Speedmaster Racing vs. Rolex Explorer II (white or black). They both cost about the same but of course the Rolex is hard to find new.

Rolex Explorer II with GMT (haven't tried the Black dial version)

Omega Speedmaster Racing Master Chronometer

They are both very different in function but on paper and technicality, the Omega has more to offer. The wife likes the Omega more but does agree that the Rolex fits my wrist better. Specs wise, the Omega is larger and thicker.

Thoughts? Not sure why this is a hard decision. I don't think I thought about it this much when I bought my car or our house. :lol:

TSS

Re: Any watch nerds here? Need some advice.

Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:20 pm

For whatever reason neither image is showing up, just a "minus" sign within a grey circle that when you click on it opens a blank page with the title "lh3 Googleusercontent.com" and a closed lock beside that.

Sight unseen, I'd say go with whichever one has less of a Flavor-Flav Giant Wristwatch Collection look to it because the giant wristwatch fad is one that needs to meet a quick end as soon as possible.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

northstardc4m

Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:31 am

Those are... well... both good watches.

Personally I'd get the Rolex just for the value retention...And if it's the better feeling watch that is by far the biggest factor to me.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

mdsh00
Topic Author

Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:09 am

TSS wrote:
For whatever reason neither image is showing up, just a "minus" sign within a grey circle that when you click on it opens a blank page with the title "lh3 Googleusercontent.com" and a closed lock beside that.

Sight unseen, I'd say go with whichever one has less of a Flavor-Flav Giant Wristwatch Collection look to it because the giant wristwatch fad is one that needs to meet a quick end as soon as possible.

Well they definitely aren't on the small side, but I already have a few which are <40mm including my 38mm Nomos Tangente Date which is my current daily.

Not sure what happened but I'll try one more time:

Francoflier

Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:24 am

Both are some of my favorite watches. The Explorer with the white dial and that orange GMT hand is probably my favorite Rolex...
That being said, the Speedmaster is probably more understated and more appreciated by watch enthusiasts. I personally prefer the original black dial (the 'moonwatch') however.

As said above, the Rolex will retain its value more if you care for it, and is more recognizable. On the other hand, Rolexes are kind of common and played out, and the Explorer will always be the 'other' Rolex, after the submariner and the GMT master II.

The speedmaster is a more refined watch and very iconic, but less recognizable, if street cred is what you're after. It will not retain its value as well as a Rolex, and over time, will cost more in maintenance as it is a chronograph (also why it's better value for money).

At the end of the day, you have to get the one you feel better wearing.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

mdsh00
Topic Author

Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:42 am

Francoflier wrote:
As said above, the Rolex will retain its value more if you care for it, and is more recognizable. On the other hand, Rolexes are kind of common and played out, and the Explorer will always be the 'other' Rolex, after the submariner and the GMT master II.

Which is totally why I dig the Explorer II. TBH I didn't care for Rolex at all until I tried them on. Submariner and Datejust look nice on the wrist but don't do anything for me. Plus, everyone who has a Rolex has those and the GMT.

To me it would be more about the feel of the watch on my wrist an an appreciation for the technical expertise of Rolex. I know that unfortunately a majority of Rolex owners don't appreciate this nor know anything about the movement.

Right now I am leaning towards the Explorer II (once I can see the black dial version) and am thinking about adding the Speedy Pro (original moonwatch) in a few years.

TSS

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:28 am

mdsh00 wrote:
TSS wrote:

Well they definitely aren't on the small side, but I already have a few which are <40mm including my 38mm Nomos Tangente Date which is my current daily.

Not sure what happened but I'll try one more time:

Both images show up fine this time. For me personally the Omega seems a little bit too flashy, a bit "busy" style-wise. The Rolex definitely has a more classic, understated look. Of those two I'd go for the Rolex, and if I wanted something flashy I'd go for a TAG with a tennis-ball-yellow or traffic-cone-orange face and flash it up right without resorting to tacky gold or diamonds.

Disclaimer- I'm brutal on watches (I work on cars a lot) and an expensive watch is just a waste of money for me. I wear the cheapest waterproof digital watch I can get at Wal-Mart and when I inevitably break it, I just go buy another.

Kiwirob

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:57 am

IMO the Explorer II is a bit of an ugly duckling, if you're going for a Rolex GMT then the GMT Master II is the one to have, although I think there is certain stigma to wearers of Rolex tool watches.

Failing that the Tudor Black Bay GMT is also a fine watch with an inhouse movement. It also has a Pepsi bezel.

If you really want a Rolex and don't want to look like a flashy douchebag then the Rolex Datejust II is about the nicest Rolex of them all. It's simple and elegant, it's just a really nice quality watch, with a fine movement and will last for decades.

And if you like the Datajust II the Omega Seamaster AquaTerra is a very nice watch, with a very interesting movement. I own one of these.

TSS

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:04 am

Kiwirob wrote:
IMO the Explorer II is a bit of an ugly duckling, if you're going for a Rolex GMT then the GMT Master II is the one to have, although I think there is certain stigma to wearers of Rolex tool watches.

Failing that the Tudor Black Bay GMT is also a fine watch with an inhouse movement. It also has a Pepsi bezel.

Tudors may indeed be fine watches, but when compared to the very similar Rolex above it everything about the Tudor watch, from the printed-but-not-engraved bezel to the extruded (plastic?) crystal to the sheetmetal instead of billet band just looks cheap. It reminds me strongly of a high-end Timex I had years ago.

Kiwirob wrote:
If you really want a Rolex and don't want to look like a flashy douchebag then the Rolex Datejust II is about the nicest Rolex of them all. It's simple and elegant, it's just a really nice quality watch, with a fine movement and will last for decades.

Agreed. "Simple and elegant" sum up that watch very nicely.

Kiwirob wrote:
And if you like the Datajust II the Omega Seamaster AquaTerra is a very nice watch, with a very interesting movement. I own one of these.

I do like the styling on that one.

mdsh00
Topic Author

Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:29 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

I hear what you're saying. I did try on a Sub and GMT (black bezel) and they honestly didn't do that much for me. Also, the fact that it's so prevalent makes me want it less. Also, I don't love it enough to want to wait for 6+ months to get one.

Tudor is nice but not for my 10th Wedding Anniversary.

I also prefer the Oyster bracelet as I find the Jubilee a little dressy for my taste.

I tried on a Gray Datejust 41 and I do admit it looked stunning. However, I think the AquaTerra is slightly better, and I'm not looking for a dress watch right now. I may get one of the two in a few years though.

A sample of my current collection:

My alternate "daily beater" watch which is a Bulova Quartz with a sweeping hand almost as smooth as a Seiko Spring drive.

Jean Richard given to me by my father in law as a wedding gift

Nomos Tangente 38 Datum (my current daily work/casual day out watch)

I also have a Movado Automatic with an alligator strap (gifted 10 years ago when I was engaged) and a dressy Raymond Weil (Wedding gift from my father).

So this time around, I want to break out of the dress watch mold and narrowed it to the Omega and Explorer (although I'm waiting to see the black dial version also).

Kiwirob

Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:44 pm

The Tudor crystal isn't stamped acrylic, it's sapphire crystal just like every other half decent Swiss watch. I agree about the bezel it should be ceramic but that would increase the price by a fair margin, my Omega Seamaster 300 Professional has a painted bezel, it's still looking good after 20 years of daily use. The Black Bay GMT bracelet on the other hand is really nicely made, it's a homage to the Rolex Riveted Oyster Bracelet, you have to see it in the metal, I think the Tudor quality is as good as Rolex, with Rolex you're paying for the name and especially with some of the models limited supply which pushes up the price.

My next watch will either be the Rolex Oyster Datejust II, as pictured above or the Tudor Pelagos lefty, I'm a lefty and I really like the idea of a watch built for left handed people.

Kiwirob

Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:53 pm

What about the Planet Ocean, it's a sexy looking watch. I love diving watches.

There are so many nice watches on the market, I could go crazy if my wife allowed me.

trpmb6

Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:59 pm

For me, when it comes to an every day watch, it's gotta be simple, plain, lightweight, sleek and complimentary to your style, not the piece that defines your style.

I've got a low profile, black titanium watch that has the initials of my children engraved on it. Wear it every day. Feel naked if it isn't on. Compliments my style perfectly. And it is so light. Just amazing.

Max Q

Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:26 am

What about the Rolex Submariner ?

I always considered it to be one of the most handsome watches ever made
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

mdsh00
Topic Author

Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:12 pm

[url][/url]
Max Q wrote:

Looks nice and I've tried one on. It doesn't do much for me.

Max Q

Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:30 am

mdsh00 wrote:
[url][/url]
Max Q wrote:

Looks nice and I've tried one on. It doesn't do much for me.

I have a Bulova Marine Star, its like a slightly smaller ‘poor mans’ Rolex Submariner and looks very similar
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

B777LRF

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:44 am

Just keep in mind what you can be getting yourself into if you buy a new Omega, namely an overpriced Swatch. A large number of the current Omega range are fitted with the exact same movement you get in a Swatch which, for a supposed premium brand, is enough for me go give them a wide berth. I've had a Seamaster for more than 30 years, albeit I rarely wear it anymore.

My favourite watches are from IWC, and I own a 'plain' Portofino and a Spitfire. Both watches excel in oozing quality without being anywhere near ostentatious, something Rolex often can. And outside those who are in the know, very few people will recognise IWC as something which may easily cost a small fortune. Discrete rather than shouty, if you wish.

If money's no object, get a Lange und Söhne or Patek Philippe. If it's diving watches you're after, Panerai is the one to go for.

There are too many wrists carrying too many Rolexes, most of them fake. And they send all the wrong signals in my book (it's either fake or you're a drug dealer, possibly both).
Signature. You just read one.

Kiwirob

Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:52 pm

You might as well say IWC are also a glorified Swatch since they use the ETA movement as well, so do most Swiss manufacturers if they don’t have an in house movement. Panerai also used the ETA movement up to 2018.