N174UA
Topic Author

Converting to Apple Mac from PC

Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:29 pm

I've been using a PC for much of my life, and currently have a Dell Inspiron that I bought at Costco nearly 10 years ago. While it runs fine today and doesn't show any signs of imminent failure, I'm concerned I'm on borrowed time with it, and should be considering my options. I use the PC primarily for web surfing (ok, mainly A-net...) as well as photography and personal computing. I'm not a gamer, and I would be the only user of it. I have several devices in my home that are dependent on WiFi, and at certain times, the signal isn't all that strong.

I currently have an iPhone and an older iPad. I'm happy using both, and would like a seamless interface between those and the computer. Several other friends and family members have Macs, and love them for a number of reasons. For now, I'm leaning towards making the switch, particularly the 27.5" model of Mac.

Costco currently has a great deal on Macs, but also has the essentially same Dell system/model that I have today for about $1,000 less. I live in a smaller community, so there is no Apple Store here to take a closer look at. The; closest one is 125 miles away in Spokane, WA or 230 miles away in Portland, OR.

As I consider making this switch, what should I be looking at and thinking of? What other accessories might I need along with the Mac, and should I buy the Apple care package also? Is it worth spending the additional $1,000 or so for the Mac, vs. basically replacing the system with what I have now for $700?

Thanks everyone!

anrec80

Re: Converting to Apple Mac from PC

Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:24 am

What exactly do you do with your PC? What is prompting you to switch? Keep in mind - Apple hardware is by far more expensive than a Windows PC with the same specs. In mainstream tasks (email, Web, social networking, movie streaming), both Apple and Windows can do everything you need. If you use it for email and Web browsing - I would not spend extra $1000 for Apple. I also use iPhone and iPad as on-the-go and leisure devices, but Windows PC for all home tasks.

If you plan to do Apple app development - then you need it. If you need to do video/photo editing - then you need to decide if a Windows PC can do everything you need, or some of your tasks really require a Mac.

zanl188

Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:20 am

I made the switch. Won't go back to PC.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

seb146

Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:31 am

zanl188 wrote:

I see a lot of people say this. I have used Windows based, Chrome based, and Apple based devices. The only difference I can find is the price of accessories is higher for Apple products. I will probably need a PC in the near future too but I will be getting either Windows or Chrome based.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

zanl188

Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:41 am

seb146 wrote:
zanl188 wrote:

I see a lot of people say this. I have used Windows based, Chrome based, and Apple based devices. The only difference I can find is the price of accessories is higher for Apple products. I will probably need a PC in the near future too but I will be getting either Windows or Chrome based.

My Mac works - No driver issues, no blue screen of death, doesn't lock up, etc. Much better experience overall and worth the additional $$.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:51 am

N174UA wrote:
I've been using a PC for much of my life, and currently have a Dell Inspiron that I bought at Costco nearly 10 years ago. While it runs fine today and doesn't show any signs of imminent failure, I'm concerned I'm on borrowed time with it, and should be considering my options. I use the PC primarily for web surfing (ok, mainly A-net...) as well as photography and personal computing. I'm not a gamer, and I would be the only user of it. I have several devices in my home that are dependent on WiFi, and at certain times, the signal isn't all that strong.

I currently have an iPhone and an older iPad. I'm happy using both, and would like a seamless interface between those and the computer. Several other friends and family members have Macs, and love them for a number of reasons. For now, I'm leaning towards making the switch, particularly the 27.5" model of Mac.

Honestly, if you're only using your PC mainly for websurfing and photography, why bother with an iMac? Just get a Mac Mini, reuse your PC components, and save at least $799 in the process.

zanl188 wrote:

I made the switch. After 9 years of faithful service, my Mac gave up the ghost - and I turned back to the PC. Windows 10 is actually a different animal compared to previous Windows models. Never had the usual problems that Mac users often associate with the PC.

Plus now I can play games without having to faff about Boot Camp!
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

seb146

Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:04 am

zanl188 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
zanl188 wrote:

My Mac works - No driver issues, no blue screen of death, doesn't lock up, etc. Much better experience overall and worth the additional $$.

I guess I am not a hard core computer person. I have not had any issues since the first incarnation of Windows XP. I am happy.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:22 am

We had nothing but problems with Windows machines, switched to Apple and very happy. You get what you pay for. When I had a work PC with an administrator to help, the PC was a PITA.

GF

Aesma

Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:48 am

What you pay for with Apple is healthy margins for the company, and lots of hype.

For the actual computer, it is much more limited than PCs, much less software available, little hardware variety, so that makes it easier to make it stable, fewer combinations. If you're going to run only a few mainstream programs on your PC, it will be just as stable.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

aviationaware

Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:14 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Honestly, if you're only using your PC mainly for websurfing and photography, why bother with an iMac? Just get a Mac Mini, reuse your PC components, and save at least $799 in the process.

This. If you don't need any kind of performance, a Mac mini is infinitely better bang for buck than an iMac. Doesn't look as nice of course, but you'll save half.

Aesma wrote:
What you pay for with Apple is healthy margins for the company, and lots of hype.

For the actual computer, it is much more limited than PCs, much less software available, little hardware variety, so that makes it easier to make it stable, fewer combinations. If you're going to run only a few mainstream programs on your PC, it will be just as stable.

True, partly, but you also pay for infrastructure. It's just very comfortable to be able to seamlessly switch between your devices if you also have an iPhone and an iPad. I can copy something to my Mac's clipboard and paste it on my iPhone immediately after. Now it's up to each individual whether this kind of stuff is worth so much money, to me it is.

Aaron747

Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:32 am

zanl188 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
zanl188 wrote:

This. I’m sure with tricked out hardware and GPU I would be able to run the P3D flight sim better on a PC than on Boot Camp, but I like that my Mac almost never crashes no matter how hard I run it.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

ChrisKen

Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:57 am

Personally, I'd stick to PC.
Apple uses all the same components these days and charges a pretty premium for it. You can easily find similar spec'd PC's for less than 2/3's (usually half) the cost of a Mac. (There used to be an argument apple once had a slight edge for graphics work on their "own" chips, no longer)
You want an upgrade? You'll have to shell out for a whole new system. PC, just change up the parts as and when.
Want to use some niche or not so niche software? You'll have to clart on using an emmulator since there's less mac software around.
If you're happy to do things the Apple way then great. However if you want to customise anything, you'll be better with PC.

There's a few things Apple is good at, namely: Marketing,marketing and marketing. Leading to parting idiots from their money and restricting your 'freedom/creativity'' while claiming the opposite.

*Stockholm & locked in syndrome also applies to many Apple owners :)
Last edited by ChrisKen on Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Aaron747

Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:58 am

ChrisKen wrote:
Personally, I'd stick to PC.
Apple uses all the same components these days and charges a pretty premium for it. You can easily find similar spec'd PC's for less than 2/3's (usually half) the cost of a Mac. (There used to be an argument apple once had a slight edge for graphics work on their "own" chips, no longer)
You want an upgrade? You'll have to shell out for a whole new system. PC, just change up the parts as and when.
Want to use some niche or not so niche software? You'll have to clart on using an emmulator since there's less mac software around.
If you're happy to do things the Apple way then great. However if you want to customise anything, you'll be better with PC.

There's a few things Apple is good at, namely: Marketing,marketing and marketing. Leading to parting idiots from their money and restricting your 'freedom/creativity'' while claiming the opposite.

Maybe if you’re talking about basics and followers, sure, but nobody who posted as Mac users in this thread are idiots, I assure you. We all have our reasons.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

aviationaware

Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:59 am

ChrisKen wrote:

*Stockholm & locked in syndrome also applies to Apple owners :)

Thanks for insulting me and millions of others without any reason. All of my Apple products have been claimed on my firm's tax return by the way, so I guess all tax payers (including you I would hope) are idiots for paying for a part of my products.

ChrisKen

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:06 am

Apple insult you on a daily basis. And no, I'm probably not a tax payer in your country, I live in the free world.

At least two people in this thread appear to be unable to read English. I didn't say "all apple users are idiots", I said "apple are good at parting money from idiots". Two entirely different statements.

Enjoy your Apple products, meanwhile the rest of the non apple world will enjoy their better value, less restrictive and often higher spec'd products.

JJJ

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:30 am

Aaron747 wrote:

This. I’m sure with tricked out hardware and GPU I would be able to run the P3D flight sim better on a PC than on Boot Camp, but I like that my Mac almost never crashes no matter how hard I run it.

My wife has learnt not to push her iMac and MacBooks too hard, though. Crashes happen, and from her swearing more often than my win10 MSI (gaming and internet stuff) or work Toshiba.

We use them for completely different stuff, so it's not really comparable but macs definitely crash and burn and take valuable work with them.

Aaron747

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:42 am

ChrisKen wrote:
And at least two people in this thread appear to be unable to read English. I didn't say all apple users are idiots, I said apple are good at parting money from idiots. Two entirely different statements.

Are you sure the reading comprehension issue was on this side? My statement had an obvious qualifier in it.

cpd

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:18 am

zanl188 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
zanl188 wrote:

You are telling a lie there, it does have a blue screen of death. Just open the networks screen - those blue screens of death on the old beige monitors. :duck: Someone at Apple was having fun at the expense of Microsoft.

I have two Macs here at home and my work computer is an iMac 27" with 32gb ram. They all work well. Simple and easy.

ChrisKen wrote:

One of my macs can be upgraded, disk drives are pretty simple, ram also easy. Graphics cards (it can run two of them) can also be upgraded. I've not needed to upgrade the graphics card. I did put more disk drives in it.

I had a PC before that - one I built myself, quiet case, large low speed fans, really tidy and neat cable solutions inside it, high end components. For whatever reason it ended up having mysterious glitches. I gave up after a while - I didn't feel like building PCs anymore, nor doing my own tech support for it.

Our Macs at work are very stable computers. The alternative (MS Surface Pro / Surface Book) seem to have no end of troubles. I have one as well, only ever use it in a meeting or as a last resort.

JJJ

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:27 am

cpd wrote:

Our Macs at work are very stable computers. The alternative (MS Surface Pro / Surface Book) seem to have no end of troubles. I have one as well, only ever use it in a meeting or as a last resort.

A MS Surface is an alternative to an iPad, not a proper computer. And I'd take a surface pro over an iPad pro if you want to work on it any day.

Number6

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:52 am

I use both. And both work well for what I ask of them. I work two jobs in reality. One is as a journalist. For this job, my MacBook Pro is the perfect companion. Great for writing up articles. Even at 9 years old she’s still pretty swift. (Though switching iCloud Drive off really helped speed her back up. ). Having my iMac as well means I can easily transfer work from the laptop to the other.

Second job wise, I’m a game assets designer, so I use 3D modelling software to design buildings, cars, all that kind of stuff. I use blender and while my iMac (again 9 years old and still working well) can run blender, substance designer and painter and photoshop, my pc has the grunt I need to really get work done, plus three screens to spread the work over. The cost of upgrading my pc makes it a sound business investment versus replacing my ageing iMac with a newer model, and a model that would possibly fall below the spec of my work PC.

So all in all, I use both, I’ll admit to preferring the iMac, but for raw power to $ costs, the pc wins.

cpd

Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:38 pm

JJJ wrote:
cpd wrote:

A MS Surface is an alternative to an iPad, not a proper computer. And I'd take a surface pro over an iPad pro if you want to work on it any day.

Try telling that to our IT people who insist on everyone using the standard surface pro device connected to a rather rubbish 4K screen.

My old iMac is far superior. I had to fight those IT people all the way. They were going to try and take away my Mac without any suitable replacement. I argued bitterly with them, they eventually gave up. It was like a Cold War, sometimes flaring up.

Some of the macs are 64gb RAM. Mine is a 32gb, the maximum it could have all those years ago.

They just don’t seem to understand that some people need to use a different, powerful computer. I run Windows and Mac OS on the one computer at the same time, I swap between them frequently and use multiple different browsers all the time. Otherwise I’d need multiple computers.

Number6 wrote:
I use both. And both work well for what I ask of them. I work two jobs in reality. One is as a journalist. For this job, my MacBook Pro is the perfect companion. Great for writing up articles. Even at 9 years old she’s still pretty swift. (Though switching iCloud Drive off really helped speed her back up. ). Having my iMac as well means I can easily transfer work from the laptop to the other.

Second job wise, I’m a game assets designer, so I use 3D modelling software to design buildings, cars, all that kind of stuff. I use blender and while my iMac (again 9 years old and still working well) can run blender, substance designer and painter and photoshop, my pc has the grunt I need to really get work done, plus three screens to spread the work over. The cost of upgrading my pc makes it a sound business investment versus replacing my ageing iMac with a newer model, and a model that would possibly fall below the spec of my work PC.

So all in all, I use both, I’ll admit to preferring the iMac, but for raw power to $ costs, the pc wins.

Do they really use Blender for that? In my day, it was Maya and 3D Studio Max. We had particular export plugins for Max to get the assets out of it into the right format. I’m glad I’m no longer doing that thing anymore. Maybe it is fun to do that for some game modding on your own, but not with extreme time pressures.

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:53 pm

cpd wrote:
One of my macs can be upgraded, disk drives are pretty simple, ram also easy. Graphics cards (it can run two of them) can also be upgraded. I've not needed to upgrade the graphics card. I did put more disk drives in it.

Old Macs, yes. The newer ones though is very difficult, if not impossible to upgrade. And if you try, get ready to pay a bundle when things go wrong.

This turned me off from buying the newer Macs to be honest. That and the rather exorbitant costs for a computer that has good enough specs to play games smoothly at high res textures. In fact, I find myself slowly moving out of the Apple ecosystem in the past few years as the company moves further and further into the "Cook era".

Magog

Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:05 pm

I used to live solely in the Apple ecosystem. For example, I used to upgrade my iPhone every two years right as the new model came out.

I am still on an iPhone 6s because the new models just don't seem worth the cost to me. When my Mac dies I will probably shift to Windows, which is the system that we use at work. I have been quite pleased with Windows. In the past, I didn't mind paying Apple's price premium because their products were genuinely better. I still think that they are great products, but I no longer think that they are worth the premium that Apple charges.

Number6

Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:20 pm

cpd wrote:

Do they really use Blender for that? In my day, it was Maya and 3D Studio Max. We had particular export plugins for Max to get the assets out of it into the right format. I’m glad I’m no longer doing that thing anymore. Maybe it is fun to do that for some game modding on your own, but not with extreme time pressures.

Blender is hugely powerful, but mostly it’s multi platform and best if all, free. Maya is semi affordable, but 3DS Max is €250 per month or €2000 a year. So it’s great for the big software houses, but for the smaller game developers, it’s just not affordable. Plus once you get use to Blender, it’s great to work with, though 2.8 is even easier to use.

einsteinboricua

Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:51 pm

I bought a used/refurbished Macbook back in 2013. It was the best investment I made. Whereas 3 PCs had failed in that time frame, the Macbook kept chugging away at constant pace...until last year when I decided it was time to retire it. After an OS upgrade, the laptop became WAY too slow. Even a simple thing like opening the control panel would take minutes...not exactly the best situation when you need the apps working for homework. After than, because Apple decided to make its ports proprietary (you need adapters to use them), I decided Apple did not meet my requirements and I went with a laptop with a touchscreen. I would like to switch to Apple again, but I don't have a need for the hardware capability (I don't edit photos or videos, for example).

Long story short: if you have Apple devices (iPad and iPhone) and you require a lot of performance from a computer, I'd complete the triad with a Mac (laptop or desktop). If it's just for light use, save yourself some money and go with Windows. Windows 10 returns some user-friendly features that had been taken away with Windows 8 so it truly is a hybrid OS.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

BN747

Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:37 pm

N174UA wrote:

If you have the above, then the choice is clear.

Your other Apple devices along with the potential newer Mac, ALL of them (even the older iPad) will seemlessly 'mirror' with your flat screen TV (as long as it an HDMI interface - anything 2005 later will).
The mirroring capability allows you to watch whatever is on your iPhone/iPad on your TV. PLUS the computer works exactly like the other iOS devices.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

JJJ

Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:12 pm

cpd wrote:
JJJ wrote:
cpd wrote:

Try telling that to our IT people who insist on everyone using the standard surface pro device connected to a rather rubbish 4K screen.

If it's going to spend most of its life hooked up on a screen you can get more performance out of a PC laptop half the price, or a PC box a third of the price.

Your IT guys must really really like that MS local distributor of yours.

anrec80

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:55 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Long story short: if you have Apple devices (iPad and iPhone) and you require a lot of performance from a computer, I'd complete the triad with a Mac (laptop or desktop). If it's just for light use, save yourself some money and go with Windows. Windows 10 returns some user-friendly features that had been taken away with Windows 8 so it truly is a hybrid OS.

Except that high-end iMac carries by far more “Apple Tax” than, say, Mac Mini.

Ken777

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:23 am

Apple delivered their Keynote Address today at the start of the developer's conference. You can. watch the Keynote Address at:

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2019/

Watching this 2 hour presentation will give you a goos idea of where the Apple Environment is heading. The new Mac Pro has ben announced, but, available with up to 28 cores, that beast is probably over your budget. The same software is in all of the Macs, down to the mini. I just go into the last half hour when it was live streaming, but I'm heading to a full watch tonight. The best new feature I saw on that last bit is called "Sidecar", which lets you use your iPad as an extension of the Mac display. Pretty neat, but assumes you have an iPad.

One benefit of watching that full 2 hours is that you will know by the end if the Apple World is worth investing in. The Keynote is for professional developers, not customers, but it might help to understand what the investment might be.

The other consideration is that, on average, Macs last longer than Window's computers. I have a 10 year old MacBook that I keep around because it has a DVD drive. That one has earned it's cost, as is Amy newer MacBook Pro.

TheFlyingDisk

Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:25 am

Ken777 wrote:
The other consideration is that, on average, Macs last longer than Window's computers. I have a 10 year old MacBook that I keep around because it has a DVD drive. That one has earned it's cost, as is Amy newer MacBook Pro.

But can the same be said for Macs post-Steve Jobs? I've heard many complaints about the newer Macs from 2013 onwards not being as durable as the old Macs.

cpd

Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:34 am

JJJ wrote:
cpd wrote:
JJJ wrote:

If it's going to spend most of its life hooked up on a screen you can get more performance out of a PC laptop half the price, or a PC box a third of the price.

The problem is a PC box cannot be packed up and put in a locker at the end of the day. You must pack up your desk and put everything away at the end of the day. Not also allowed to sit at same desk everyday (certain teams excepted). Ah yes, the joys of agile working environments. If everyone comes into the office on the same day, some people won't get a desk. :sarcastic:

Those of us with Macs are in the few teams that have permanent desks.

Ken777 wrote:
Apple delivered their Keynote Address today at the start of the developer's conference. You can. watch the Keynote Address at:

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2019/

Watching this 2 hour presentation will give you a goos idea of where the Apple Environment is heading. The new Mac Pro has ben announced, but, available with up to 28 cores, that beast is probably over your budget. The same software is in all of the Macs, down to the mini. I just go into the last half hour when it was live streaming, but I'm heading to a full watch tonight. The best new feature I saw on that last bit is called "Sidecar", which lets you use your iPad as an extension of the Mac display. Pretty neat, but assumes you have an iPad.

One benefit of watching that full 2 hours is that you will know by the end if the Apple World is worth investing in. The Keynote is for professional developers, not customers, but it might help to understand what the investment might be.

That sidecar idea is pretty good. Potentially sets a fire under the very expensive Wacom tablet devices. Logical idea too, use a device that people already have in a different way.

JJJ

Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:31 am

cpd wrote:
JJJ wrote:
cpd wrote:

The problem is a PC box cannot be packed up and put in a locker at the end of the day. You must pack up your desk and put everything away at the end of the day. Not also allowed to sit at same desk everyday (certain teams excepted). Ah yes, the joys of agile working environments. If everyone comes into the office on the same day, some people won't get a desk. :sarcastic:

A normal laptop (Dell, Toshiba, whatever) is still substantially cheaper than a surface pro and you can still carry it around and even work and sit in the toilet because Joe took up the last desk.

dtw2hyd

Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:20 pm

With Apple's iPadOS announcement yesterday, buying a macOS device just for browsing and photo/video editing is not advisable. A beefed up iPro pro with cellular and accessories would be a better option.

I have a MacBook white 2009 running Mojave(unsupported), still a solid machine compared to several Windows laptops I changed over the same 10 years. Windows 10, Microsoft Surface came a long way, but as soon as you install antivirus and antimalware software they suck the life out of any Windows machine.

Tugger

Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:06 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Windows 10, Microsoft Surface came a long way, but as soon as you install antivirus and antimalware software they suck the life out of any Windows machine.

Ummm... you do know that you don't need to (and shouldn't) install antivirus and antimalware software with Win10, right?

Windows Defender is very good and all that is needed. The real problem is the number of idiots that click and open things they shouldn't, inviting in problems that otherwise would not work.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

anrec80

Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:12 pm

cpd wrote:

Ouch. Doesn’t sound like a great workplace. Not sure I’d want to stay there for long. Just seems too unstable and unpredictable.

einsteinboricua

Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:23 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
But can the same be said for Macs post-Steve Jobs? I've heard many complaints about the newer Macs from 2013 onwards not being as durable as the old Macs.

Economics. Apple is likely catching on that if they make a durable product that lasts at least a decade, it means lost sales. Better to make a product that is good for 5 years before needing replacement.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

TheFlyingDisk

Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:40 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Economics. Apple is likely catching on that if they make a durable product that lasts at least a decade, it means lost sales. Better to make a product that is good for 5 years before needing replacement.

True, but given the huge cost difference, most of the time they will find themselves driving users away, like me. The iMac I had for 9 years was solid, until lightning shorted the circuit board to a crisp. I can't rationally bring myself to buy a new or even a slightly older iMac given the costs.

In any case, income from Mac sales hardly holds the lion share of Apple's revenues. They should have kept that durability and make their iPhones less durable.

787Driver

Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:01 pm

Have been using a macbook pro for over a decade, but decided to buy a windows laptop with a dedicated graphics card as I missed playing certain games. I think Mac is better overall because of the ecosystem, since I also own an iphone and ipad, but Windows isn´t bad either. I just wish I could use airdrop on my windows laptop and imessage too.

Ken777

Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:28 pm

Considering that you are not going to havre heavy use you might also want to look at the MacBook Air. It has a list of $!,200 with 128 GB SSD storage from Apple, but you can get it a bit cheaper on line. A previous generation is listed at $999. The new one has a better display and TouchID, which uses your fingerprint to unlock the computer - better than a password.

Going to a light notebook will let you move from a desk, but you can add an external display if you have a big project that needs screen space. To be frank, I generally use my MacBook Pro while sitting in a rocker and the wife uses her MacBook Air at the kitchen table. We keep the desk to hold the printer, but the desk is going when we downsize.

A 125 mile drive is a pain, but if you are going to make a 5 to 10 year investment, it's worth it. Look at the Keynote on Apple to see where the company is going with the Macs, iPhones and iPads before making the trip. Look at the different computers (especially the Air) and talk to a salesperson - who is there to answer questions, not pressure you. Be sure to ask about the Genius Bar that handles hardware and Apple software as that is a service above what you will find with other companies. If you get a Mac be sure to get AppleCare+ as that covers software support as well as hardware.

Ken777

Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:31 pm

787Driver wrote:
Have been using a macbook pro for over a decade, but decided to buy a windows laptop with a dedicated graphics card as I missed playing certain games. I think Mac is better overall because of the ecosystem, since I also own an iphone and ipad, but Windows isn´t bad either. I just wish I could use airdrop on my windows laptop and imessage too.

You can run Windows easily on a Mac. Parallels will let you put your Windows apps right in the dock. Actually there is a long list of OS'es that will run under Parallels.

You need to check, but Apple takes trade-ins :goodvibes:

787Driver

Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:27 pm

Ken777 wrote:
787Driver wrote:

You can run Windows easily on a Mac. Parallels will let you put your Windows apps right in the dock. Actually there is a long list of OS'es that will run under Parallels.

You need to check, but Apple takes trade-ins :goodvibes:

True but a Macbook with a dedicated graphics card is gonna cost you through the roof.. cost was the main factor. I got this i7, 16gb ram, 4k touch screen, gtx1050ti setup for 1200 usd. I think thats good value for what you get.

Tugger

Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:24 pm

Apple is selling the Mac Monitor Stand for $999.

Seems a bit overpriced to me (but many are also saying it is perfectly "Apple"). And of course that is less than 10% of the price of the full MacPro system it is for (but still, the stand is 9% of the system's cost I don't recall monitor stands hitting that percentage of price).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Ken777

Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:30 am

The stand is sort of out of the iMac G4 (the sunflower iMac) in that it has significant movement built in, Tilt up and down, raise up and down, swivel to the sides and rotate for portrait mode. The internal engineering keeps it in any position you select and basically the display feels weightless. Internals are briefly shown in the Keynote, If you prefer a wall mounted adapter you do save a tidy bit of cash.

anrec80

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:37 am

Ken777 wrote:
The stand is sort of out of the iMac G4 (the sunflower iMac) in that it has significant movement built in, Tilt up and down, raise up and down, swivel to the sides and rotate for portrait mode. The internal engineering keeps it in any position you select and basically the display feels weightless. Internals are briefly shown in the Keynote, If you prefer a wall mounted adapter you do save a tidy bit of cash.

This stand goes with $6K screen and about $10-15K worth Mac Pro. For those who can afford $20K on a rig, this $995 stand will not be much of a problem.

Overall, I am wondering how much will this amazing 28 core Mac Pro cost (Xeon W based), if the CPU alone retails just north of 3K.

VSMUT

Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:26 pm

zanl188 wrote:

What is this, 2001?

I can't remember ever having the BSOD in the past 15 years at least.

Tugger

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:40 pm

Ken777 wrote:

With all the reaction to the monitor stand that costs more than an iPhone people have forgotten the ridiculous cost the the VESA adaptor: $200!

That's right, the industry standard VESA mount, a standard intended to reduce cost and simplify things, a piece of metal, costs $200 ($199 actually). So while you don't have to buy the stand for $1000.. OK $999.00, you do have to pay $200 for the mount if you want to use another mounting typing.

I don't get it. Apple makes great stuff why do this?

Tugg

Ken777

Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:39 am

[quote="Tugger"
With all the reaction to the monitor stand that costs more than an iPhone people have forgotten the ridiculous cost the the VESA adaptor: $200!

That's right, the industry standard VESA mount, a standard intended to reduce cost and simplify things, a piece of metal, costs $200 ($199 actually). So while you don't have to buy the stand for $1000.. OK $999.00, you do have to pay $200 for the mount if you want to use another mounting typing.

I don't get it. Apple makes great stuff why do this?

Tugg[/quote]

It's a no brainer that 3rd party companies will start building monitor stands using VESA specs very soon, if they already have't. There will be some very cheap ones with basically fixed movement and some more expensive that lets you move the display any way you want - or almost any way. Actually, I don't see a pro user buying the new MacPro and the new display and then getting the cheapest stand possible.

Apple made the stand the way they wanted to make it, then priced it after it was designed. They don't need to sell millions of them and there will be users that want it and are happy too pay for it, These folks will also buy more than the basic Mac Pro, and maybe multiple displays.