Epakey
Topic Author

What do you think about Windows 10

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:59 am

What do you think about Windows 10?
I just upgraded to Windows 10,i don't know enough about it,
What suggestions do you have for Windows 10?

NIKV69

Re: What do you think about Windows 10

Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:32 pm

I have to do the same. Microsoft kicking 7 to the curb!
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die.

cjg225

Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:39 pm

Windows 7 has been very good to me, better even than XP was, I think. I'm really disappointed that MS has announced they'll cut support for 7 around the end of 2019. I have Win10 on my work laptop and my Surface Pro 4. It's not a "bad" OS, but it's just not that good, either. Since I've had to use it every day since November-ish because of our upgrade at work, I've gotten a bit more used to it than from my SP4 (which I've had for a long time), but it's so wonky, especially with how it tries to emulate older Windows iterations. On one hand, I like that they're trying to bridge the gap for those of us who prefer the older Windows iterations, but on the other hand, their doing so makes for some weird experiences, particularly when using it on a non-mobile device.
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:27 pm

I went from Mac OS to the Windows 10, and I find the transition to be less than painful as I'd expect it.

I mean, it's no Mac OS, but it's not the Windows of old either. A good improvement I must say from Win 7 (never used Win 8).
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

ER757

Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:57 pm

Not a fan of Win 10 - got a new laptop for work a few months ago with it installed and have loads of issues. Sometimes when working on one program and then trying to go back to our company's shipment tracking program, can't maximize that window and if/when I can, it's frozen and I have to go to task manager to kill it and re-open. When using Powerpoint slides that have embedded Excel charts, Excel is all FUBAR when I go back over to an Excel spreadsheet I have open - all the cells are way oversized and you can't minimize the screen or adjust the cell sizes. Have to save/close the Powerpoint presentation and then close/re-start Excel to make it normal again. Our local I.T. support guy can't figure it out

T18

Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:58 pm

Miles beyond the tire fire that was 8, in my uses has better compatibility than 7 did for older programs but the one gripe I have is that keep hiding thing like the control panel (or at least windows has on my home machine a few months back in an update) which is a pita when there are functions you need it for. Most of the simple settings are in the new settings menus and work fine but some of the more complicated functions are still in the control panel that is no longer accessible from the start menu in once click (unless like me you pin it to the menu) so you must search to find it, which wile quick is to me an unneeded step. I do think visually 10 looks much better than 7 did but that will very from person to person. I do feel like 10 loads up faster but I've never used 10 on the same machine that ran 7 for a true comparo. Only other gripe is it seems much harder to opt out of updates but I have not had anywhere as many update issues with 10 as 7 and the ones I did have were fixed with a reboot (odd things too like no text in menus or on the desktop like how does that happen!?)
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

einsteinboricua

Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:01 pm

My only gripe with Windows 10 is that it's like a tablet OS...everything is based on apps. Loads better than Windows 8, but there's a reason people still cling to Windows 7.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Tugger

Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:05 pm

Win10 is fine. I did the upgrade from Win7 years ago now and it runs across several devices of mine now (my android phone uses the MS suite they offer there). I do like the ability to do and see the same thing from most any device I use with it.

The one thing you should do if you can is to do a "clean install" at some point. The upgrade is safe and you don't lose anything but at some point once you are comfortable with it, sequester all your docs and get a full compilation of your installed programs, and then wipe and do a reinstall. Fresh so to speak. The docs won't be the problem, it is will finding source disks for the programs you have been using for years without thought. If you can't do the programs just run with the upgrade.

The security updates and the updates in general have been a bit annoying but these are a standard accordance for any modern UI. And MS is getting better with it.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

cjg225

Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:22 pm

ER757 wrote:
Not a fan of Win 10 - got a new laptop for work a few months ago with it installed and have loads of issues. Sometimes when working on one program and then trying to go back to our company's shipment tracking program, can't maximize that window and if/when I can, it's frozen and I have to go to task manager to kill it and re-open. When using Powerpoint slides that have embedded Excel charts, Excel is all FUBAR when I go back over to an Excel spreadsheet I have open - all the cells are way oversized and you can't minimize the screen or adjust the cell sizes. Have to save/close the Powerpoint presentation and then close/re-start Excel to make it normal again. Our local I.T. support guy can't figure it out

Oh, my God. This is, BY FAR, my biggest problem with my company's upgrade to Win 10... having to use Office 365, which is an absolute piece of trash. It is awful. Our company marketed the upgrade to us as, amongst other things, a significant step forward in corporate IT security.... well, we may be more secure, but we're also a lot less productive. Everyone hates 365. It is sooooooooooooooooo sllllllllllllllowwwwwwwwwwww. PowerPoint is the worst; it takes ages to open anything. A trick people have figured out is to keep an instance open of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint all day so that when you need to access a file it's just opening the file instead of the entire application (which is what takes so damn long).

einsteinboricua wrote:
My only gripe with Windows 10 is that it's like a tablet OS...everything is based on apps. Loads better than Windows 8, but there's a reason people still cling to Windows 7.

I use my Surface Pro 4 less than I expected when I got it not because it's not good but because I overestimated my time while on business travel to actually use it. But, when I do use it, I always use it in computer mode instead of tablet mode. I just can't handle phone/tablet OS's. I am a dyed-in-the-wool computer user, so I guess I need things less for touch and more for point and click.

stratclub

Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:46 pm

Windows 10 is just O.K. A big issue with Windows 10 is forced updates. I uninstalled the X-Box app which is one of several apps that are bundled with Windows 10, and the next forced update MS reinstalled it. Apparently, not having the X-box app or several other bundled apps on your computer is a security issue and if you uninstall them MS will just force many of them back onto your computer.

Another Issue is privacy. The problem is that Windows 10 phones home with your keystrokes and usage data. That is why MS wants you to have an E-Mail account with them so that Windows 10 has a place to phone home to with your data that it collects. Alexa is an app that you cannot uninstall or completely disable and is actually spyware on it's default security settings.

I could go on and on but the linked article is something that people should read if they want to Understand MS's agenda. MS does not have your best interests at heart. it's a real shame that MS didn't just keep supporting windows 7. It doesn't spy on you and it works great. https://www.maketecheasier.com/things-s ... windows10/

einsteinboricua

Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:56 pm

stratclub wrote:
Alexa is an app that you cannot uninstall or completely disable and is actually spyware on it's default security settings

Cortana.

Alexa is Amazon's smart helper.

Tugger

Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:01 pm

stratclub wrote:
Windows 10 is just O.K. A big issue with Windows 10 is forced updates. I uninstalled the X-Box app which is one of several apps that are bundled with Windows 10, and the next forced update MS reinstalled it. Apparently, not having the X-box app or several other bundled apps on your computer is a security issue and if you uninstall them MS will just force many of them back onto your computer.

Another Issue is privacy. The problem is that Windows 10 phones home with your keystrokes and usage data. That is why MS wants you to have an E-Mail account with them so that Windows 10 has a place to phone home to with your data that it collects. Alexa is an app that you cannot uninstall or completely disable and is actually spyware on it's default security settings.

I could go on and on but the linked article is something that people should read if they want to Understand MS's agenda. MS does not have your best interests at heart. it's a real shame that MS didn't just keep supporting windows 7. It doesn't spy on you and it works great. https://www.maketecheasier.com/things-s ... windows10/

Well all modern UI's "phone home" nowadays. "Spying" if that is what you want to call it, is part and parcel with all cloud based systems. Siri and Google Assistant do similar to Cortana, and Alexa (which is part of the Amazon universe not MS) is in some ways similar as well but it is not built into a UI and so does not have the same depth of integration as the others (still cloud based and so per your definition "spying").

You would probably prefer Alexa to the others since it cannot hook into you system as deeply and you can limit it more than the others.

If you have a phone you should check how many things are tracking your every move and input etc. Phones are more invasive than most any desktop system since it also includes your movements. It is too much intrusion in my opinion.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

BlueberryWheats

Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:23 pm

I find windows 10 to be far too system demanding. My old laptop originally had W8, granted it was a basic laptop just for using Office, but it can barely run W10 most days!

Good excuse to the wife to splash out on our new ultra powerful (for a laptop) system! :D

Spar

Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:54 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
I find windows 10 to be far too system demanding. My old laptop originally had W8, granted it was a basic laptop just for using Office, but it can barely run W10 most days!

Good excuse to the wife to splash out on our new ultra powerful (for a laptop) system! :D

That's the cycle Microsoft (and Apple) have set for us. These bloated inefficient operating systems require ever more memory and faster processors just to run the same applications we used to run under XP with 10% of the resources that are required today. I run Win 7; I would be running XP if not for the fact that it is limited to 3.25GB of memory and I like to run Google Earth which puts me in a bind. Other than GE all I use is word processors, small spreadsheets and a browser. Win 7 and 8 are just XP with slightly different (worse) user interfaces. Win 10 is re-written but that was done for Microsoft's benefit, not for any benefit for the user, it essentially emulates XP.

Epakey
Topic Author

Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:51 am

cjg225 wrote:
Windows 7 has been very good to me, better even than XP was, I think. I'm really disappointed that MS has announced they'll cut support for 7 around the end of 2019. I have Win10 on my work laptop and my Surface Pro 4. It's not a "bad" OS, but it's just not that good, either. Since I've had to use it every day since November-ish because of our upgrade at work, I've gotten a bit more used to it than from my SP4 (which I've had for a long time), but it's so wonky, especially with how it tries to emulate older Windows iterations. On one hand, I like that they're trying to bridge the gap for those of us who prefer the older Windows iterations, but on the other hand, their doing so makes for some weird experiences, particularly when using it on a non-mobile device.

Thank you.
I also upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7,i was going to install linux,but a friend of mine says Windows 10 will be better than that.
And i don't think the Windows 7 is very very good (Just for me).

Epakey
Topic Author

Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:55 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
I went from Mac OS to the Windows 10, and I find the transition to be less than painful as I'd expect it.

I mean, it's no Mac OS, but it's not the Windows of old either. A good improvement I must say from Win 7 (never used Win 8).

Windows 8 is probably the worst of them :boxedin: I have never used it.

portcolumbus

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:38 am

BlueberryWheats wrote:

I'm running W10 on an old HP notebook with an i7-2720QM CPU and 6GB RAM and it still flies.

I didn't like W10 at release, but it's just fine now.

anrec80

Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:44 am

Win 10 is a perfectly fine OS. I am using it daily and am not looking for a switch to neither Mac nor Linux.

stratclub

Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:00 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
stratclub wrote:
Alexa is an app that you cannot uninstall or completely disable and is actually spyware on it's default security settings

Cortana.

Alexa is Amazon's smart helper.

Thanks. My bad. I should have remembered the hours I spent trying to disable it completely. Getting rid of it completely is possible except the next FORCED update just put's it back.

stratclub

Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:41 am

Tugger wrote:
stratclub wrote:

Well all modern UI's "phone home" nowadays. "Spying" if that is what you want to call it, is part and parcel with all cloud based systems. Siri and Google Assistant do similar to Cortana, and Alexa (which is part of the Amazon universe not MS) is in some ways similar as well but it is not built into a UI and so does not have the same depth of integration as the others (still cloud based and so per your definition "spying").

You would probably prefer Alexa to the others since it cannot hook into you system as deeply and you can limit it more than the others.

If you have a phone you should check how many things are tracking your every move and input etc. Phones are more invasive than most any desktop system since it also includes your movements. It is too much intrusion in my opinion.

Tugg

Very true about phones. They certainly are cloud based. Android based Navigation apps are really great, but because phones are cloud based, I don'y use my phone for critical things like banking, private information or even E-Mail. You are correct. The GPS function of phones is a mixed blessing. It is great for finding a lost phone and navigation, but it is intrusive about your every move being tracked.

I don't do cloud based storage with my computer and my expectation is that my computer should be a privately owned and controlled device. MS have made Cortana local to your computer, but they didn't. Cortana has along with other privacy issues a key stroke logger that phones home on Cortana's default privacy settings. Which to me is spying. Read Windows 10's privacy statement in regards to the data MS collects.

stratclub

Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:58 am

Epakey wrote:
cjg225 wrote:

Thank you.
I also upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7,i was going to install linux,but a friend of mine says Windows 10 will be better than that.
And i don't think the Windows 7 is very very good (Just for me).

I liked Windows 7 a lot better than windows 10. Mostly because it doesn't force upgrades and the menu structure. Given that, I have been using Linux for about 10 years now and only boot over to my windows partition when I have a program that doesn't run on Linux. I use Ubuntu Mint and it is perfect for most things I do.

The cloud thing? Meh. Don't want or need it, but you can do cloud based stuff with Linux if you want to.

FatCat

Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:52 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

I am still using it on the company's pc. but it has never done any update... should I expect to suddenly stop working?
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

einsteinboricua

Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:24 pm

FatCat wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

I am still using it on the company's pc. but it has never done any update... should I expect to suddenly stop working?

No. It just means that if there's any defect, Microsoft will not address it. No patching; no security updates; no further licenses.

787Driver

Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:42 pm

I think Win 10 is quick enough but I don’t like the tile design, and I don’t like how windows came with tons of bloatware preinstalled such as candy crush, gardenscapes, Xbox, loads of OEM bloatware, etc. The first thing I did when I got my Lenovo laptop was to reinstall windows. That also solved a fan noise issue that the computer had straight from the beginning (I guess due to the amount of bloatware that loaded up automatically when the computer started) Shouldn’t be like that.

Also some inconsistencies here and there in the UI such as two different settings layouts. A classic and a windows 10 and so on. But from my experience now that I installed a clean version of windows it runs very well.

The ecosystem is just lacking compared to apple. No surface phone and far less (useful) apps in the App Store.

KentB27

Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:34 am

I don't like Windows 10 all that much. I find it to not be nearly as user friendly as the classic format that Windows 7 and prior uses. You have to wade through so many stupid menus and submenus to do almost anything in Windows 10. Just doing simple functions like getting to the control panel is far more annoying than in Windows 7. It's still better than Windows 8 though. Windows 8 seriously sucked ass. People miss the old format of Windows so much that there is a classic shell you can download that makes Windows 10 more like the old Windows operating systems. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way either. Most people I talk to prefer Windows 7 over 8 and 10.

Windows 10 also really pisses me off because it shoves things down your throat and is really pushy about updates and upgrades in its default settings. I had to turn all of that crap off because it wouldn't stop nagging me about stuff.

cjg225

Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:41 am

KentB27 wrote:
I don't like Windows 10 all that much. I find it to not be nearly as user friendly as the classic format that Windows 7 and prior uses. You have to wade through so many stupid menus and submenus to do almost anything in Windows 10. Just doing simple functions like getting to the control panel is far more annoying than in Windows 7. It's still better than Windows 8 though. Windows 8 seriously sucked ass. People miss the old format of Windows so much that there is a classic shell you can download that makes Windows 10 more like the old Windows operating systems. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way either. Most people I talk to prefer Windows 7 over 8 and 10.

Windows 10 also really pisses me off because it shoves things down your throat and is really pushy about updates and upgrades in its default settings. I had to turn all of that crap off because it wouldn't stop nagging me about stuff.

Agreed re the menus. I think that's probably the most wonky thing on a regular computer. I get it for mobile devices, but not on a regular PC. And it's search feature is so aggravating when you're not quite sure how a program or file is named. It wants to prioritize apps in the Windows Store over things you actually have.

KentB27

Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:50 am

cjg225 wrote:
Agreed re the menus. I think that's probably the most wonky thing on a regular computer. I get it for mobile devices, but not on a regular PC. And it's search feature is so aggravating when you're not quite sure how a program or file is named. It wants to prioritize apps in the Windows Store over things you actually have.

For sure. It's pretty obvious that Windows 10 is optimized for touch screen devices over traditional PCs. I also don't think I've found a single one of their apps to be useful. Most of them are gimmicky and don't really seem to do much in general. They're absolutely laughable compared to what Apple offers. The search function is also extremely aggravating. You are correct in that it does prioritize showing Microsoft's own products over what you actually have on your machine. I also think that not having a programs menu where you can select whatever application or program you want to run like in Windows 7 and prior is a glaring omission. It's really frustrating to fire up a program in Windows 10 that doesn't have a shortcut on your desktop or isn't pinned to your task bar.

Classa64

Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:05 am

Loved 7 a lot and worked so well. Got the free upgrade to 10, transition for me was easy and no real issues other than trying to run older PC games ( really old ones ) there are workarounds but 7 had no issues. I do have to say there apps don't work very well but I only tried a few.
"Freedom is the miles i'm rolling on"

mailmover

Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:34 am

cjg225 wrote:
And it's search feature is so aggravating when you're not quite sure how a program or file is named. It wants to prioritize apps in the Windows Store over things you actually have.

KentB27 wrote:
The search function is also extremely aggravating. You are correct in that it does prioritize showing Microsoft's own products over what you actually have on your machine..

I stopped using the Windows built-in search tool ever since they thought having a little dog jumping around was cool. Just so damn slow.
If you're running NTFS partitions, just install Everything Search and you'll get INSTANT results. And I mean INSTANT!

I put a shortcut right on the taskbar. https://www.voidtools.com/

Tugger

Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:25 pm

KentB27 wrote:
People miss the old format of Windows so much that there is a classic shell you can download that makes Windows 10 more like the old Windows operating systems.
[...]
I had to turn all of that crap off because it wouldn't stop nagging me about stuff.

Classa64 wrote:
and no real issues other than trying to run older PC games ( really old ones ) there are workarounds but 7 had no issues.

mailmover wrote:
If you're running NTFS partitions, just install Everything Search and you'll get INSTANT results. And I mean INSTANT!

And this is what is good about PC/Microsoft based systems. You can actually tweak it basically anyway you want. Yes the defaults can be annoying but you can change them and install basically anything you want on them. It is the strength of the PC universe but also its weakness as there is a lot of crap out there and people will install stuff without carefully looking at what they are getting/installing. I have learned long ago to research any program I get and to make sure to "uncheck" all the stuff that wants to be coloaded with stuff I install.

KentB27 wrote:
don't think I've found a single one of their apps to be useful. Most of them are gimmicky and don't really seem to do much in general. They're absolutely laughable compared to what Apple offers.

Yeah, MS tried half-assedly to mimic the success of iOS with "apps" and failed miserably. Happily and finally, MS has killed this effort and gone to full developer support for the full computing experience vs the "mobile software" version. A key thing to remember is that Apple apps are mostly for iOS, phones and iPad, not the Mac. The Mac suite of available software is actually more limited than what is available for the the PC. And iOS does not "just work" on the Mac system. They are trying to merge them a bit but basically are wisely just leaving them separate.
Basically technology is assisting MS as full power PC level capabilities are being able to be performed by mobile systems (phones and tablets). So the installed base of PC developers are now again being fully supported to develop as they wish and the software (now called apps for whatever reason) quality will come back.

The hard part is the divide between the two fundamentally different systems: ARM (mobile) and x86/Intel (PC/desktop). Both Microsoft and Apple are struggling to find the best path to cross/merge this divide.

Tugg

mham001

Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:42 pm

Tugger wrote:

The hard part is the divide between the two fundamentally different systems: ARM (mobile) and x86/Intel (PC/desktop). Both Microsoft and Apple are struggling to find the best path to cross/merge this divide.

Linux.

Epakey
Topic Author

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:04 am

stratclub wrote:
Alexa is an app that you cannot uninstall or completely disable and is actually spyware on it's default security settings.

Yeah,but i didn't make it work on my computer.Next I will search for some software on the Internet (Google),but one thing that worries me,every tool has its drawbacks, which are often invisible to us.

Airstud

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:07 am

Epakey wrote:
What suggestions do you have for Windows 10?

Upgrading to XP.
Pancakes are delicious.

Epakey
Topic Author

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:10 am

787Driver wrote:
I think Win 10 is quick enough but I don’t like the tile design, and I don’t like how windows came with tons of bloatware preinstalled such as candy crush, gardenscapes, Xbox, loads of OEM bloatware, etc. The first thing I did when I got my Lenovo laptop was to reinstall windows. That also solved a fan noise issue that the computer had straight from the beginning (I guess due to the amount of bloatware that loaded up automatically when the computer started) Shouldn’t be like that.

Also some inconsistencies here and there in the UI such as two different settings layouts. A classic and a windows 10 and so on. But from my experience now that I installed a clean version of windows it runs very well.

The ecosystem is just lacking compared to apple. No surface phone and far less (useful) apps in the App Store.

I should install a clean version of Windows as you do,and uninstall bloatware on Windows 10,but i don't know what works for Windows 10.

stratclub

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:20 am

Epakey wrote:
787Driver wrote:

I should install a clean version of Windows as you do,and uninstall bloatware on Windows 10,but i don't know what works for Windows 10.

The problem is that Windows 10 is bloat ware and the fact that MS does not believe that people should have control of their computer. Microsoft is not your friend. If you uninstall the bloat ware, Microsoft update will just reinstall it with the next forced upgrade. Microsoft's plan for you is that you have less control of your computer. "Let's get better together" is Microsoft's plan to take control of your computer.

scbriml

Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:30 am

I've been using Windows 10 since just after it was released. It is by far the best version of Windows that MS has done. It makes all previous versions look very flakey. I find it rock solid compared to every other version (and I've been using Windows since 3.0!)

ER757 wrote:

TBH, none of that sounds like those are issues caused by W10 per se. Sounds more like a graphics driver issue to me.

einsteinboricua wrote:
My only gripe with Windows 10 is that it's like a tablet OS...everything is based on apps.

You don't have to use any of them. My desktop is running all proper Windows applications, not 'apps'. Same on my laptop, except I use the Mail app and it works fine.

KentB27 wrote:
Just doing simple functions like getting to the control panel is far more annoying than in Windows 7.

Start typing 'control panel' in the search bar and it's one click away. If that's too much effort, pin it to the desktop, start menu or taskbar. It's trivially easy.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Tugger

Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:09 pm

And speaking of Win10 versus XP and Win7: a notice has gone out about a large vulnerability that needs to be patched in Windows!
And not WIn10, it's fine, the risk is to XP and Win7 and other older version of Windows. While it includes server versions, all major users of Windows on servers have already updated and patched their systems, it is the thousands of smaller systems and individual computers on the old Windows that are at risk.

https://bgr.com/2019/06/05/microsoft-wi ... -bluekeep/

Windows definitely had a problem in the past, it was designed to be as open as possible, with as many options for corporate controls etc. to be allowed. However this ethos allowed for many weaknesses that other outside individuals and organizations could take advantage of as well. The walled garden has a lot of advantages combined with one big disadvantage.

I am not some starry-eyed Windows supporter, I was not an early adopter of Win10 precisely because I wanted the bugs worked out, but so far Win10 has been a good solid robust operating system for me and its integration with the two phone ecosystems is really great. Has made the phone a much more powerful tool for me.

Tugg

Spar

Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:51 pm

Do you think Microsoft has gone too far with spying on users?

Here's my experience, I bought a used Dell tower, an Inspiron 620, for cheap. I put a 3.4 ghz Intel Core i7-2600 quad core in it and a 500gig SSD (it came with a bad HD). So now I figure I'm all set for the next ten years of web surfing and word processing.

All Dell computers come with an installed MS operating system, so I went on E-bay and bought a genuine Dell win-7 operating system disk and I'm good to go. Microsoft does all the updates but somewhere along the line I get a message that my install is "not genuine"; yet it works OK and I have no interest in jumping through hoops with Dell or Microsoft so I continue on my merry way. I create a disk image after I've installed all the software I want to use, but before I actually do any web surfing.

At one point about a year later, after MS does an update, they leave the not genuine message and disable the desktop background, leaving a black and white desktop screen *yawn*. After a bit I just reload my saved disk image and restore my data and go on my merry way after turning off automatic updates, and I never ever go to Microsoft's site.

Everything is fine for a couple of years until last week when out of the blue, my desktop is black again. Microsoft has struck again, but this time they also trashed my mouse driver which made the system almost unusable, luckily I had another mouse from a different manufacturer available so I plugged it in and the system loaded the new driver and I'm running OK again with a black desktop screen. I'll reload my saved disk image when I get around to it.

But here's the thing that irks me, Microsoft has no business in my home, yet they've searched the web looking for things they don't like and gone ahead and attacked systems they don't own. I could see it if I was accepting updates from them, or if I visited their site, but I don't accept their updates and I don't visit their site. They've searched me down and come after me.

That strikes me as an illegal intrusion of my privacy.

What do you think?

And before anyone gets on their moral high horse, I'll remind everyone that this is a Dell computer and it was sold with a licensed copy of a MS operating system, so I am not "ripping off" Microsoft. I used a Dell operating system disk to install an operating system that is of the appropriate vintage for this computer.

chimborazo

Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:12 pm

Windows 10 is good. I have it on a surface pro. First thing I did was get rid of all the app type settings to use it as a computer like I’m used to. Too much Of the settings it comes with are based on delivering content and all that malarkey. I just want to use office, CAD, project etc for work and not all the gimmicky stuff. Appreciate other folk want that functionality but the format of a few years ago works for me.

Tugger

Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:46 pm

Spar wrote:
Do you think Microsoft has gone too far with spying on users?

No. They are fine. As far as that goes.

From what I can tell they are not gathering any more data than other operating systems. And you can turn most all of it off (of course you may loose key functionality related to that but again it is similar to what other operating systems do). Even Apple gathers gathers tons of user data for system performance monitoring and improvements. And other systems, like Linux, if you buy from a company (RedHat for example) they will also monitor performance, or you can actively manage it yourself and participate in the Linux community and perform your own systems maintenance. But the vast majority of the public has shown they don't want to do that. They want somebody else doing driver updates and security installs etc.

I actually more prefer the old way where things resided on your computer alone and systems didn't have to go "outside" for part of their function. But all that changed with Google and now we all search the web all the time for anything we need. We don't buy encyclopedias anymore, or disks to load on our system alone, even gaming is moving to the cloud.
And of course Google also killed the old funding model for operating systems by giving away Android and now Chrome OS. It's free but they get your data so they can sell to others to pay for the service. MS could not sell Window's anymore and stay relevant, so they switched to a matching model and gather and sell information.

Spar wrote:
Here's my experience, I bought a used Dell tower, an Inspiron 620, for cheap. I put a 3.4 ghz Intel Core i7-2600 quad core in it and a 500gig SSD (it came with a bad HD). So now I figure I'm all set for the next ten years of web surfing and word processing.

All Dell computers come with an installed MS operating system, so I went on E-bay and bought a genuine Dell win-7 operating system disk and I'm good to go. Microsoft does all the updates but somewhere along the line I get a message that my install is "not genuine"; yet it works OK and I have no interest in jumping through hoops with Dell or Microsoft so I continue on my merry way. I create a disk image after I've installed all the software I want to use, but before I actually do any web surfing.

At one point about a year later, after MS does an update, they leave the not genuine message and disable the desktop background, leaving a black and white desktop screen *yawn*. After a bit I just reload my saved disk image and restore my data and go on my merry way after turning off automatic updates, and I never ever go to Microsoft's site.

Everything is fine for a couple of years until last week when out of the blue, my desktop is black again. Microsoft has struck again, but this time they also trashed my mouse driver which made the system almost unusable, luckily I had another mouse from a different manufacturer available so I plugged it in and the system loaded the new driver and I'm running OK again with a black desktop screen. I'll reload my saved disk image when I get around to it.

But here's the thing that irks me, Microsoft has no business in my home, yet they've searched the web looking for things they don't like and gone ahead and attacked systems they don't own. I could see it if I was accepting updates from them, or if I visited their site, but I don't accept their updates and I don't visit their site. They've searched me down and come after me.

That strikes me as an illegal intrusion of my privacy.

What do you think?

Sounds more like its a third party service on your systems that is occasionally reaching out to somewhere and MS is connected in the chain and can't confirm the OS authenticity. I experienced it a few times when I used a third party acquired copy of Windows (it was a genuine MS mfg disk but would have normally been installed by a computer mfg). When I upgraded to WIn10 they didn't do any authenticity check, they just upgraded and it has been fine.

For sure MS is not invading your privacy or searching out your computer. They don't need to, at all. If you are using their software, that software will sometimes call "home" to check on things if needed. (updating a driver etc.). So that is your computer doing it. not them looking for you.

Spar wrote:
And before anyone gets on their moral high horse, I'll remind everyone that this is a Dell computer and it was sold with a licensed copy of a MS operating system, so I am not "ripping off" Microsoft. I used a Dell operating system disk to install an operating system that is of the appropriate vintage for this computer.

Well without moralizing, it does sound like you are equivocating a bit here. There are different versions of Windows with different price points. Did the Dell come with the same version you are using? I can say all I want "I bought a Chevy fair and square" but if I bought a Cruz I don't get to drive off in a Corvette. So not moralizing, I get using a mfg install disk instead of buying what MS wants to sell me but it is what it is. I know I sure can't buy Apple OS off of eBay and expect to keep working without any issue.

By the way, be sure sure to update/patch your Win7:
Microsoft, it continues, has warned that the Bluekeep flaw “is potentially ‘wormable,’ meaning it could spread without user interaction across the internet. We have seen devastating computer worms inflict damage on unpatched systems with wide-ranging impact, and are seeking to motivate increased protections against this flaw.”

The advisory notes that these are the affected versions of Windows:

Windows XP
Windows Server 2003
Windows Vista
Windows Server 2008
Windows 7
Windows Server 2008 R2

Microsoft has issued a patch

https://bgr.com/2019/06/05/microsoft-wi ... -bluekeep/

Tugg

Spar

Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:12 pm

Tugger wrote:
Well without moralizing, it does sound like you are equivocating a bit here. There are different versions of Windows with different price points
With a quad core processor it can't be anything other than win 7, 8 or 10 and I'm running the oldest of these three.

I'm a bit disgusted with the way humanity just caves in to Microsoft. It's not OK with me that my computer "phones home", whether it's the hardware or the software. It's also not Ok with me that any software vendor sniffs around my computer which is physically located inside my house.

I know I'm in the minority. But I sure wish the justice department had broken up Microsoft way back when they were mulling the idea. IMO an operating system vendor should be prohibited from selling or giving away application programs of any kind, it automatically leads to unfair advantage over any competitor and so kills competition.

Tugger

Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:18 pm

Spar wrote:
Tugger wrote:
Well without moralizing, it does sound like you are equivocating a bit here. There are different versions of Windows with different price points
With a quad core processor it can't be anything other than win 7, 8 or 10 and I'm running the oldest of these three.

I'm a bit disgusted with the way humanity just caves in to Microsoft. It's not OK with me that my computer "phones home", whether it's the hardware or the software. It's also not Ok with me that any software vendor sniffs around my computer which is physically located inside my house.

I know I'm in the minority. But I sure wish the justice department had broken up Microsoft way back when they were mulling the idea. IMO an operating system vendor should be prohibited from selling or giving away application programs of any kind, it automatically leads to unfair advantage over any competitor and so kills competition.

Why are disgusted with MS? I assume you are equally disgusted with Apple, and Google along with the Facebooks and Ubers of the world etc? All these companies are minnig you for your data to use to sell services to others and make money. That is the "fee structure" nowdays. And Microsoft certainly did not start that "free, we just require your data" concept. Google is the biggest and best at it now and Facebook is hard in the running with them. But as I noted, all major OS players obtain data from their users.
And you ignored in my post where I noted that MS did not come after you. They don't "sniff" around your PC. Your system in some way went out to them and didn't get whatever response/confirmation it required and so acted in accordance with its program. That is what software does.

And remember, you can probably upgrade still to WIn10 if you want.

So what version of Windows came with your Dell? Windows 7 came in six different flavors: Starter, Home, Home Premium, Professional, and Enterprise.

Tugg

Spar

Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:40 am

Tugger wrote:
you ignored in my post where I noted that MS did not come after you. They don't "sniff" around your PC.
I ignored the bit where you said: Your system in some way went out to them and didn't get whatever response/confirmation it required and so acted in accordance with its program" because I consider that jibberish. "My system" did not "go out to them" in any way. They may have placed hooks on websites that send MS the IP addresses of computers that talk to that site and they may even have installed software to interrogate computers which address these infected websites, but then Microsoft itself would have had to have come to my IP address and worked their way around or through my web browser and interrogated my OS and then as a separate action, accessed files on my hard drive and changed data. That is the action that I used the metaphor "sniff" to euphemistically describe.

I understand that to you that's OK; it's OK because they're Microsoft and they have rights over the underlings that inhabit the planet and you bow to their supremacy. I don't.

Tugger wrote:
That is what software does.
Really dude, drop the condescending nonsense.

And whatever flavor Dell paid Microsoft for was the flavor that was on the Dell disk that I used to install my OS. How many times do you think Microsoft should be paid for each sale they make? I vote one.

Tugger

Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:08 am

Spar wrote:
Tugger wrote:
you ignored in my post where I noted that MS did not come after you. They don't "sniff" around your PC.
I ignored the bit where you said: Your system in some way went out to them and didn't get whatever response/confirmation it required and so acted in accordance with its program" because I consider that jibberish. "My system" did not "go out to them" in any way. They may have placed hooks on websites that send MS the IP addresses of computers that talk to that site and they may even have installed software to interrogate computers which address these infected websites, but then Microsoft itself would have had to have come to my IP address and worked their way around or through my web browser and interrogated my OS and then as a separate action, accessed files on my hard drive and changed data. That is the action that I used the metaphor "sniff" to euphemistically describe.

I understand that to you that's OK; it's OK because they're Microsoft and they have rights over the underlings that inhabit the planet and you bow to their supremacy. I don't.

I think you don't understand how software works. It does have checks built in and it does validate against databases it is directed to. And based on that it will perform actions. Honesty Ms doesn't have to snoop around or invade your privacy simply because the software is designed to do checks etc. It will limit itself per its coding.

And no I don't bow down etc. I limit the data sharing as I can and block trackers and cookies etc.

You can make up stuff and mock or try to call people names but it doesn't help your argument or make a point or your post coherent or better.

Tugg

Spar

Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:23 am

Tugger wrote:
Spar wrote:
Tugger wrote:

I think you don't understand how software works. It does have checks built in and it does validate against databases it is directed to. And based on that it will perform actions. Honesty Ms doesn't have to snoop around or invade your privacy simply because the software is designed to do checks etc. It will limit itself per its coding.

And no I don't bow down etc. I limit the data sharing as I can and block trackers and cookies etc.

You can make up stuff and mock or try to call people names but it doesn't help your argument or make a point or your post coherent or better.

Tugg
I don't think you know how software works. And I've written assembly language software in three architectures. Your condescending shtick is pathetic: "It will limit itself per its coding", LOL.

You think you can just throw words around and snow people? Called you names? LOL

Give it a rest.

Tugger

Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:35 am

Spar wrote:
Tugger wrote:
Spar wrote:

Tugg
I don't think you know how software works. And I've written assembly language software in three architectures. Your condescending shtick is pathetic: "It will limit itself per its coding", LOL.

You think you can just throw words around and snow people? Called you names? LOL

Give it a rest.

Nope. And you still aren't answering that you get it. You continue to hide with mocking.

Please give it a rest as well.

Tugg

TTailedTiger

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:20 am

I prefer the interface of Windows 7 over Windows 10. It was just more user friendly. I skipped Windows 8 when I saw just what a horrible mess it was. The only thing Windows 10 does better imo is virtualization. I run MS-DOS and Windows 3.1 virtual machines and they seems to run smoother on Windows 10.

FlyingColours

Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:19 pm

I finally bit the bullet and bought a new custom built PC a few months back as my 7 year old machine which had been punching well above its weight was finally struggling to play most games besides ETS2 and ATS (until the Oregon expansion pack which effectively rendered that off limits). I eventually got tired of playing little else other than Transport Tycoon hence a new machine...

I like Windows 10, to an extent.

My biggest issues with it are the forced updates and crucially how it is crap for gaming.

When I say its crap for gaming I mean that unless you have a 64 bit version of whatever you want to play it will eventually crash as I found out to my detriment when trying out my shiny new PMDG 747 half way over the Atlantic. That's now gathering electronic dust as FSX doesn't have a 64-bit application so that too is now a waste of disk space (and money already sunk into it).

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

Cansy

Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:52 am

Epakey wrote:
but i don't know what works for Windows 10.

The software on my computer was recommended by my classmates, friends, colleagues, and they worked.
You can also Google them to see if they work for you.

Tugger

Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:03 pm

FlyingColours wrote:
I finally bit the bullet and bought a new custom built PC a few months back as my 7 year old machine which had been punching well above its weight was finally struggling to play most games besides ETS2 and ATS (until the Oregon expansion pack which effectively rendered that off limits). I eventually got tired of playing little else other than Transport Tycoon hence a new machine...

I like Windows 10, to an extent.

My biggest issues with it are the forced updates and crucially how it is crap for gaming.

When I say its crap for gaming I mean that unless you have a 64 bit version of whatever you want to play it will eventually crash as I found out to my detriment when trying out my shiny new PMDG 747 half way over the Atlantic. That's now gathering electronic dust as FSX doesn't have a 64-bit application so that too is now a waste of disk space (and money already sunk into it).

Phil
FlyingColours

Well MS has good news for you!
Microsoft officially launched its new Xbox app for Windows 10 yesterday, along with Xbox Game Pass for PC. The first one acts as as curated store for PC games, with a section dedicated to Xbox Game Pass games and another one for Xbox Live social features.

Both the Xbox beta app and Xbox Game Pass for PC require the Windows 10 May 2019 Update, which is now available for all users who manually check for updates. According to Xbox’s Mike Ybarra, that’s because the May 2019 Update makes it possible to download new Win32 games from the Microsoft Store, many of them being available with Xbox Game Pass for PC.

I get asked 'Why do I have to update Windows 10 to get Xbox Game Pass on PC?". The short answer is this update (1903) is needed for native Win32's to work with our Store in the app. Snag this to help you install Win10 update and get new Xbox app w/XGP. https://t.co/tbEY7wwRZB

— Mike Ybarra (@XboxQwik) June 10, 2019

https://www.onmsft.com/news/psa-microso ... 019-update

Tugg