FlyingColours

Re: What do you think about Windows 10

Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:04 pm

That'll be interesting, though a shame if we'd have to pay a 3rd time for FSX. Still, it should be cheaper than scrapping all the paid add-ons ;)

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

tommy1808

Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:57 pm

Epakey wrote:
What suggestions do you have for Windows 10?

Install classic shell....

cjg225 wrote:
Everyone hates 365. It is sooooooooooooooooo sllllllllllllllowwwwwwwwwwww.

Thank you!!!! Its like they run it on a x86 emulator implemented in BASIC ..
If you use it blind with a keyboard you always accidentally edit stuff because it just can't keep up. I7, 16GB RAM, fast SSD and it takes freaking forever for the search field to open and accept clipboard pastes...

stratclub wrote:
Windows 10 is just O.K. A big issue with Windows 10 is forced updates.

Or that software won't run on 1607, but works on 1809 or vica versa.....

Get the Win 10 IoT LTS* Versions, at least no forced function updates ever, as MS charges for those on that license.

stratclub wrote:
Alexa is an app that you cannot uninstall or completely disable and is actually spyware on it's default security settings.

It also comes without Cortana....

it's a real shame that MS didn't just keep supporting windows 7. It doesn't spy on you and it works great.

Fun fact: a fresh windows 7 installation gets to the latest patch level faster than a fresh 1607 Win 10 installation. I wonder how they screwed that up so bad so quick...

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

cjg225

Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:59 pm

tommy1808 wrote:

If you use it blind with a keyboard you always accidentally edit stuff because it just can't keep up. I7, 16GB RAM, fast SSD and it takes freaking forever for the search field to open and accept clipboard pastes...

With Outlook 365, I love accidentally sending emails because I hit "Reply" and immediately start typing, but it still hasn't processed my request, so it interprets my keystrokes as, "Oh, I should send this empty or partially-written reply."
Restoring Penn State's transportation heritage...

tommy1808

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:32 pm

cjg225 wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

With Outlook 365, I love accidentally sending emails because I hit "Reply" and immediately start typing, but it still hasn't processed my request, so it interprets my keystrokes as, "Oh, I should send this empty or partially-written reply."

Oh yeah... that is a good one too. Or the smart spell checker that takes ages to figure out that I am not typing in the same language anymore. Or the auto select feature, that selects anything but what you want, and why the hell is there a pop up menu for font features when I select text with by mouse, but not when I select by keyboard.....

Best regards
Thomas

DL717

Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:33 pm

Epakey wrote:
What do you think about Windows 10?
I just upgraded to Windows 10,i don't know enough about it,
What suggestions do you have for Windows 10?

I had to use it my last few months before retirement, it was better than others, but I felt it tried to do too much to be a tablet on a desktop. It also tries too hard to be an Apple product. When you don’t have to have software to support what your doing at work that requires Windows, going Mac is easy as heck. The most we use a PC for these days is media management (pictures, movies, music). Numbers, Pages and Keynote are more than sufficient. I actually like them better now that we’ve been using it for a couple of years. It was weird to not have Office after being a slave to it for 20 years. I always felt Microsoft was a utility product built around work, and Apple was built largely around the home with vastly superior creative work capability. It’s so true. We do practically everything on iPads now and sit down at the Mac when we are working on cleaning up the thousands of pictures we’ve taken over the years (and getting rid of junk shots). God I hate digital cameras. Shooting off 100 pictures has effectively zero cost penalty unlike film.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

Tugger

Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:06 pm

I'm not sure what you are doing with 365 and outlook, I don't experience any of the problems being noted here. And I use it daily for dozens and dozens of emails.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

blueflyer

Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:54 pm

My personal Windows 10 laptop works great, really no complain about it, although to be fair, I don't ask it to emulate the cockpit of a 787 doing a nose-dive into Courchevel.

My work Windows 10 laptop has multiple bugs, and when I send it for repairs, comes back with the bugs fixed, and new species of bugs I didn't know existed.The one thing that works reliably well is 365.

Still, me thinks Windows 10 may not be the problem...
Inadequate healthcare killing more than illegal immigrants, that's a national emergency
Opioid crisis killing more than illegal immigrants, that's a national emergency
Would-be king who can't figure this out, that's a national emergency

northstardc4m

Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:10 pm

Office 365 works very well as long as people remember it is a web based program. We do office 365 deployments as part of my job, part of the checklist we run are tools from Microsoft to check bandwidth and connectivity... Probably 60% of business are failing or minimal pass on these tests, and when we troubleshoot deployments later due to slowness again almost always it's a connection issue. Companies don't want to upgrade their connectivity because of the costs to get decent performance out of things like o365... And then they also do stuff like Azure, virtual conferencing, cloud storage, etc... over the same connections and slow everything down even more... And then get upset at the software, no sorry it's your connection, we warned you, you did it anyways, you need to upgrade your connection or change ISPs to one that can provide a better option.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

FlyingColours

Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:52 am

You guys are right, I use Google Docs quite a lot both at home and at work and the difference between the home & office is astounding, at home on a new machine with high speed connection it works like a dream but in the office it's very slow and awkward to use due to lag. I like using Google Docs because of the cloud storage meaning I can work on my personal projects during lunch at work then continue at home.

As for my PC based office suite, I've been using Open Office for years and think very highly of it.

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

uta999

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:25 am

Windows 10 is fine as long as you download and install Classic Shell

https://www.fosshub.com/Classic-Shell.h ... _4_3_1.exe

It then looks and feels like Windows 7 again.
Your computer just got better

uta999

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:34 am

At least once or twice a year you should Google " Windows 10 iso " then press Update Now. This installs the latest version (1903) of Windows 10, and sorts out the many update issues people are having.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/softwar ... /windows10

You can also use Download Tool, to create a USB version of Windows 10 to upgrade another computer or use to recover from a crash, virus or Trojan.

tommy1808

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:41 am

uta999 wrote:
At least once or twice a year you should Google " Windows 10 iso " then press Update Now. This installs the latest version (1903) of Windows 10, and sorts out the many update issues people are having.

Unless the update in itself causes the problem. Here probably 80% of all windows shipped are still 2016 LTSB (i.e. 1607) because customers software won´t work on 1809 .... and only one customer that needs 1809 to run his application.

virus or Trojan.

you mean Cortana? *scnr*

I agree on Classis shell though. .... with a mouse that menue is still way superior to the default Windows 10 one.

best regards
Thomas

uta999

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:43 am

To recover from a Windows failure on boot, login or Trojan issues, use Recovery Mode. If in Windows it is in Control Panel.

If you cannot get into Windows 10, restart the computer three times by pressing the power button in for six seconds. This turns the computer off, turn on and repeat three times within one minute. You should now be in Recovery Mode (Safe Mode).

Press Troubleshoot, then Advanced, then Troubleshoot again. You can then decide whether to use Reset (Save my files), or System Restore which does not affect your data.

This will fix most problems and get you back into Windows 10, without any data loss. A reset may affect some programs, printers which might need to be installed again.

tommy1808

Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:47 am

FlyingColours wrote:
You guys are right, I use Google Docs quite a lot both at home and at work

we used to use the Google environment and that was fast ..... and the Spreadsheet had a currency import so simple that i can not figure out why Excel doesn´t have something along the lines of GOOGLEFINANCE functions since about 1995.....

best regards
Thomas