OriginalFalcon
Topic Author

Trump Bars Cruise Ships From Visiting Cuba

Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:30 pm

In another move that makes no sense, except to spite Barack Obama-again-Trump is banning cruise ships from going from U.S ports to Cuba.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/04/politics ... index.html

So childish.

casinterest

Re: Trump Bars Cruise Ships From Visiting Cuba

Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:31 pm

By this logic Trump should put a ban on Russia.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Tugger

Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:55 pm

Hmmm... don't know that this will affect things much. The cruise lines will either just sub out the cruises to a non-US based entity, have them depart out of Bahamas or something equally easily accessible, and the ships aren't US registry anyway.

It is more bluster. (Probably because Cuba is supporting Maduro - who really needs to go but that is another topic).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

janders

Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:02 pm

Good, no reason U.S. money should be flowing into Cuba to prop up the regime.

Opening things up by Obama was naive as it provided no reciprocal improvements.

I would recommend people watch the German produced Cuba Libre Story original production on Netflix, especially last couple episodes that very well explain how corrupt, repressive and undermining the Cuban regime is to its own people and actions outside it borders.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

zakuivcustom

Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:25 pm

janders wrote:

I would recommend people watch the German produced Cuba Libre Story original production on Netflix, especially last couple episodes that very well explain how corrupt, repressive and undermining the Cuban regime is to its own people and actions outside it borders.

My only problem with all these talk about "propping up regime" is that the human rights record of many countries that US are "friends" with are not all that great, either. Plus we all know how much US love propping up dictatorship all over the world as long as that dictator is friendly to US.

Tugger

Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:46 pm

Does Vietnam receive similar treatment?

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

einsteinboricua

Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:44 pm

janders wrote:

No reason money should be propping Saudi Arabia, China, Russia, or Vietnam, but here we are sending them money and overlooking their regime tactics.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

BestWestern

Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:30 pm

It’s bigger than cruise ships - it’s US citizens cannot go to Cuba for Tourism and Educational purposes.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

TSS

Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:40 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
janders wrote:

No reason money should be propping Saudi Arabia, China, Russia, or Vietnam, but here we are sending them money and overlooking their regime tactics.

All true, but good ol' common sense dictates that it's a good idea to maintain at least a cordial relationship with your next door neighbor whenever possible whether you particularly like them or not. This is Lesson Number One of Diplomacy 101.

Trump might be many things, but I suspect even his most ardent admirers will admit that he is no-one's idea of a diplomat.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

OriginalFalcon
Topic Author

Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:46 pm

janders wrote:

Meanwhile, Russia is interfering in internal U.S politics and elections, and all Trump does is give them a cyber blow-job.

This has nothing to with the regime. It has to do with his obsession of reversing everything President Obama did. That's it.

EA CO AS

Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:51 pm

Tugger wrote:
Does Vietnam receive similar treatment?

Tugg

No, but then again, Vietnam isn’t sending men to Venezuela to keep the current communist regime in place after being voted out by the people.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

BestWestern

Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:57 pm

The law of unintended consequences - Damaging the local economy in Cuba through travel bans (and Mexico through Tariffs) drives immigrants to the US.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

Magog

Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:09 pm

OriginalFalcon wrote:
janders wrote:

Meanwhile, Russia is interfering in internal U.S politics and elections, and all Trump does is give them a cyber blow-job.

This has nothing to with the regime. It has to do with his obsession of reversing everything President Obama did. That's it.

If Trump was determined to appease Russia he wouldn’t be imposing restrictions on Cuba.

This is all about winning Florida in 2020. Nothing more.

einsteinboricua

Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:39 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
No, but then again, Vietnam isn’t sending men to Venezuela to keep the current communist regime in place after being voted out by the people.

Ah, so you think Saudi Arabia shouldn't receive support then. After all, during the Yemeni and Bahraini uprisings, the Saudis used military force. And have we forgotten the spat with Qatar? Talk about bullying a nation into following what another does.

What about Russia sending military advisers to Venezuela? China and its backing of the North Korean regime?

dfwjim1

Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:00 am

Wife and I are booked (paid for in April) on a cruise to Cuba on the Majesty of The Seas leaving from Ft. Lauderdale on July 3rd of this year.

From what I have read today it seems like our cruise is still a go since we reserved before June 4th. Is my assumption correct? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

einsteinboricua

Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:53 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
Wife and I are booked (paid for in April) on a cruise to Cuba on the Majesty of The Seas leaving from Ft. Lauderdale on July 3rd of this year.

From what I have read today it seems like our cruise is still a go since we reserved before June 4th. Is my assumption correct? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

A Facebook group for solo cruisers just put out a post from one of its members saying that RCCL has altered all itineraries that had stops in Cuba. They are instead calling at Costa Maya and are offering a 50% refund for the cabin booked.

dfwjim1

Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:15 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

A Facebook group for solo cruisers just put out a post from one of its members saying that RCCL has altered all itineraries that had stops in Cuba. They are instead calling at Costa Maya and are offering a 50% refund for the cabin booked.

Wow, that would not be good as the Majesty already had a secondary call at Cozumel.

Ken777

Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:13 am

Swamp Mouth is simply being a dickhead again. He needs a new story each day in his political soap opera so Cuba gets its turn.

so what else is new? Making a fool of himself in the UK, saying there were thousands cheering him and a handful of folks off to the side quietly protesting his visit. But that was yesterday's story.

LMP737

Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:52 pm

Magog wrote:
If Trump was determined to appease Russia he wouldn’t be imposing restrictions on Cuba..

When you think about it it actually plays right into Putin's hand.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

ltbewr

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:24 pm

There is no doubt that Trump is trying to appease certain voters and Republican politicians with the reversal of Pres. Obama's relaxation of the USA's restrictions of travel of Cuba.
Part is to appease the older Cuban voters in places like Florida to try to get the votes he needs to win the EC vote there. Part is to appease law enforcement officers and pro-police politicians to obtain Joanne Chersmard a person who escaped from a NJ prison, sentenced for life for her part of the murder of a NJ State Police officer back in the 1970's and somehow ended up in Cuba and given asylum. There is also the desire to get back for Cuban citizens and USA based corporations land and other property taken by the Cuban government. Then there is or double standard as to Cuba's support of anti-American governments in Venezuela and elsewhere where we want compliant and pro-American (pro-corporate) governments to exploit while we support criminal governments around the world far worse than Cuba.

zakuivcustom

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:39 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Ah, so you think Saudi Arabia shouldn't receive support then. After all, during the Yemeni and Bahraini uprisings, the Saudis used military force. And have we forgotten the spat with Qatar? Talk about bullying a nation into following what another does.

Of course, all those and IQ45 simply veto a bill condemning Saudi Arabia, then bypass Congress to sell more bombs to Saudi Arabia just to kill more Yemenis. Did I mention that most of the 9/11 hijackers are Saudis? Human rights in Saudi Arabia? What human rights? Wait, it's the ideal world for IQ45 where there's a rich ruling class and a bunch of lowly servants with zero rights (and of course, for 50% of the population aka all females? What about lower than sand).

But yes, he want those Cuban votes in FL. Hopefully those Puerto Ricans in FL won't forgive IQ45 and him treating PR as if it's not part of US.

einsteinboricua

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:46 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Hopefully those Puerto Ricans in FL won't forgive IQ45 and him treating PR as if it's not part of US.

If only. Puerto Ricans are apathetic and/or ignorant of US politics. The first person to show up and talking about religion to them will have their vote. The GOP worries that Puerto Ricans (newly emigrated ones) will vote Democrat, but they still don't know that socially, they're very conservative. If politics back home turned into Dem v GOP, Puerto Rico would likely be no different than any other Southern state: religion plays a big part of life and they would rather have a regular Sunday Christian candidate than one that is but doesn't go to church.

Look no further than the 2018 elections where Democrats counted on the PR wave of immigrants to help them win office and they came up short: the folks either sat out or voted for the GOP candidate.

OA260

Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:29 pm

Cruise lines emailing out today advising they are not calling into Cuba and will offer alternatives instead. Shame for those booked just to see Cuba which is an amazing country.

LMP737

Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:18 pm

Magog wrote:

That maybe part of it. I have a feeling Trumps National Security Adviser has a lot to do with it too.

nws2002

Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:28 pm

Glad I went on Royal to Cuba last month and last year. Amazing cruises and the ports were way more interesting than the other usual Bahamas and Caribbean stops.

Alias1024

Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:50 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:

Royal Carribbean has put out notice that all Cuban ports are suspended immediately. 2019 itineraries have been updated with new ports. Customers can accept the changed itinerary and receive a 50% refund, or cancel their sailing and receive a full refund. Seems pretty fair on their part given the situation.

Sorry Trump wrecked your vacation.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

OA260

Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:05 pm

Alias1024 wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

Royal Carribbean has put out notice that all Cuban ports are suspended immediately. 2019 itineraries have been updated with new ports. Customers can accept the changed itinerary and receive a 50% refund, or cancel their sailing and receive a full refund. Seems pretty fair on their part given the situation.

Sorry Trump wrecked your vacation.

Thats pretty decent compensation from RCI. Recently when they announced they were redeploying Independence of the Seas from the UK back to Florida for 2020 they were only offering a refund and 25% off a future cruise. Getting a cruise plus 50% back is very good.

BravoOne

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:56 am

This is a good.

ADXMatt

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:22 pm

BestWestern wrote:
The law of unintended consequences - Damaging the local economy in Cuba through travel bans (and Mexico through Tariffs) drives immigrants to the US.

Unintended? This will prove Trumps claim that we have a crisis at our border.

einsteinboricua

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:59 pm

Magog wrote:

Republicans will soon find out that the Cuban exiles are dying out and that the first generation Cuban Americans are not as hardcore supporters of the embargo and cutting off relations as the exiled Cubans were. And there's more to Florida than just the Cubans (though it's understandable that they make the difference).

But even with FL safely tucked in the GOP column, Trump has to worry about WI, MI, and PA not defecting from his camp. IA, NC, AZ, OH, and TX are also potential states that are suddenly being looked at.

Aesma

Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:49 pm

ltbewr wrote:
There is no doubt that Trump is trying to appease certain voters and Republican politicians with the reversal of Pres. Obama's relaxation of the USA's restrictions of travel of Cuba.
Part is to appease the older Cuban voters in places like Florida to try to get the votes he needs to win the EC vote there. Part is to appease law enforcement officers and pro-police politicians to obtain Joanne Chersmard a person who escaped from a NJ prison, sentenced for life for her part of the murder of a NJ State Police officer back in the 1970's and somehow ended up in Cuba and given asylum. There is also the desire to get back for Cuban citizens and USA based corporations land and other property taken by the Cuban government. Then there is or double standard as to Cuba's support of anti-American governments in Venezuela and elsewhere where we want compliant and pro-American (pro-corporate) governments to exploit while we support criminal governments around the world far worse than Cuba.

The only way to get any of these things is to invade Cuba.

Didn't work out that well last time you tried.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Tugger

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:00 pm

Aesma wrote:

Well, 75 years ago today it worked pretty damn well when we and others landed on your beaches! :biggrin:
(Hey man, you gonna troll be ready to be trolled back... :bouncy: )

Tugg

nws2002

Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:36 pm

OA260 wrote:
Alias1024 wrote:
Thats pretty decent compensation from RCI. Recently when they announced they were redeploying Independence of the Seas from the UK back to Florida for 2020 they were only offering a refund and 25% off a future cruise. Getting a cruise plus 50% back is very good.

I think it is decent. However, Cuba cruises were usually priced much higher than comparable Caribbean cruises. So I think it is bringing it down to the level of a normal cruise and then offering a bit of compensation.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:36 pm

Why did Congress give the President, any President, this power? More stupid Congress tricks.

Aesma

Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:04 pm

Tugger wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Well, 75 years ago today it worked pretty damn well when we and others landed on your beaches! :biggrin:

Tugg

Yes it worked, with 4500 dead soldiers.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:06 pm

And thousands of forgotten dead French civilians, too. Sadder than the soldiers.

seb146

Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:17 pm

So he is creating another problem that does not exist just to fix a problem that never was in the first place to claim victory so his base can cheer him on. *slow clap* well played. No one will ever know......
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

DDR

Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:31 pm

Tugger wrote:
Aesma wrote:

Tugg

Not everyone was happy about the Allied invasion. :lol:

texdravid

Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:05 pm

Good news! Cuba needs more external pressure to change their ways, not less. The Cuban regime is reprehensible.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

LMP737

Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:41 pm

texdravid wrote:
Good news! Cuba needs more external pressure to change their ways, not less. The Cuban regime is reprehensible.

What about the pressure being put on countries like Saudi Arabia to change their ways? Oh yeah, there is none because they're buying weapons from us.

texdravid

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:25 am

LMP737 wrote:
texdravid wrote:

What about the pressure being put on countries like Saudi Arabia to change their ways? Oh yeah, there is none because they're buying weapons from us.

Well I feel that the USA’s constant 7 decade romance with the Wahhabi regime is also horrible.

Maybe in the 60’s and 70’s when other sources of petroleum were not available did we have to go and be friendly to the Al-saud dynasty.

But now? Ridiculous! We should have had a clear policy of oil from our own areas, and nuclear.
Nuclear is safe and viable.

I am equally horrified by Shia and Wahhabi behavior.
And old fart Castro Communists.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

seb146

Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:43 pm

texdravid wrote:
LMP737 wrote:
texdravid wrote:

Well I feel that the USA’s constant 7 decade romance with the Wahhabi regime is also horrible.

Maybe in the 60’s and 70’s when other sources of petroleum were not available did we have to go and be friendly to the Al-saud dynasty.

But now? Ridiculous! We should have had a clear policy of oil from our own areas, and nuclear.

Nuclear? Are you serious? Did you hear what happened in Japan or Chernobyl? Or even right here at Hanford or Three Mile Island?

As far as the non-issue of Cuba, this is just another attempt to erase Obama from the history books and nothing more.

dfwjim1

Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:43 pm

Are there other countries that have strict trade agreements with Cuba or is the United States the outlier?

LMP737

Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:35 pm

texdravid wrote:

The thing is these new sanctions have nothing to do with Cuba changing their ways. Trump could give rats ass about human rights. This has more to do with his pathological obsession with Obama. Add to that having a war mongering National Security Adviser who is probably fueling all this non-sense..

Magog

Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:37 pm

LMP737 wrote:
texdravid wrote:

The thing is these new sanctions have nothing to do with Cuba changing their ways. Trump could give rats ass about human rights. This has more to do with his pathological obsession with Obama. Add to that having a war mongering National Security Adviser who is probably fueling all this non-sense..

Or it is about winning Florida in 2020. Just saying.

seb146

Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:39 pm

Magog wrote:
LMP737 wrote:
texdravid wrote:

At this point, that is probably the only state he will win.....

Magog

Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:54 pm

seb146 wrote:
Magog wrote:
LMP737 wrote:

I don’t think that’s accurate.

Aesma

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:55 pm

Not that any cruise ship would venture there but is there a ban on cruise ships visiting Iran ?

LittleFokker

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:59 pm

seb146 wrote:
Magog wrote:
LMP737 wrote:

I still haven't figured out why cutting off relations with Cuba is supposed to help Republicans win Florida. Is the implication that Cuban immigrants want nothing to do with their former homeland? Or is an appeal to the racists of the panhandle who hate the downstate Cubans?
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

Aesma

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:05 am

Old Cuban exiles that have lost "everything" (despite now probably being richer than most people in Cuba) because of Castro want the island to suffer until it changes back to a US puppet government.