mham001

Re: Trump Bars Cruise Ships From Visiting Cuba

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:15 am

Like most Americans, I am fairly ambivalent about this. We were told under Obama that opening up with Cuba would bring about the change that the embargo had not. Did that ever happen?
I too believe this is more about Florida votes but Cuba's open involvement supporting Maduro is not helping their cause here.

Magog

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:18 am

LittleFokker wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Magog wrote:
Or it is about winning Florida in 2020. Just saying.

At this point, that is probably the only state he will win.....

I still haven't figured out why cutting off relations with Cuba is supposed to help Republicans win Florida. Is the implication that Cuban immigrants want nothing to do with their former homeland? Or is an appeal to the racists of the panhandle who hate the downstate Cubans?

It has absolutely nothing to do with the people from the panhandle. As mentioned earlier, it’s all about the exiles and their families. Think Miami instead.

Aaron747

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:13 am

mham001 wrote:
Like most Americans, I am fairly ambivalent about this. We were told under Obama that opening up with Cuba would bring about the change that the embargo had not. Did that ever happen?
I too believe this is more about Florida votes but Cuba's open involvement supporting Maduro is not helping their cause here.

The only thing we should be ambivalent about is restriction of individual liberty. Americans should be able to travel where they please provided they have the means and understand the risks. It’s pretty sad that Emiratis, Danes and Germans have greater travel freedoms than Americans.

https://www.passportindex.org/byRank.php
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Aesma

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:26 am

Also it wasn't that much opened up, since the senate blocked many things.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Ken777

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:28 am

Cuba is a queer one for Trump - he generally likes "strong men" running countries. So Trump must be sucking up to the older Cubans in exile who are now Americans so they can vote. How many of those Cubans are still living and how many have died? Trump also needs to worry because a lot of young Cubans who were born in Florida and never went to Cuba. They have, however, seen a few years of Trump in the White House and he's enough to make them gag - especially his abusive attitude to people of color. He's going to have a hard time winning Florida with his Whites Only attitude.

seb146

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:54 am

Magog wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:
seb146 wrote:

At this point, that is probably the only state he will win.....

I still haven't figured out why cutting off relations with Cuba is supposed to help Republicans win Florida. Is the implication that Cuban immigrants want nothing to do with their former homeland? Or is an appeal to the racists of the panhandle who hate the downstate Cubans?

It has absolutely nothing to do with the people from the panhandle. As mentioned earlier, it’s all about the exiles and their families. Think Miami instead.

I think it speaks to both issues. This does make the ex-Cubans happy and makes that rednecks happy they can keep out them brown Mexican speaking people.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Magog

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:22 am

seb146 wrote:
Magog wrote:
LittleFokker wrote:

I think it speaks to both issues. This does make the ex-Cubans happy and makes that rednecks happy they can keep out them brown Mexican speaking people.

Huh? It’s a travel ban, not an immigration ban. Under Trump, Cubans still enjoy a privileged position relative to other immigrants to the U.S.

LMP737

Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:31 pm

Magog wrote:
Or it is about winning Florida in 2020. Just saying.

That's probably down on the list behind Trumps pathological obsession with Obama and John Bolton whispering sweet nothings into his ear.

If I were him I would be more worried about the the Puerto Rican vote in Florida. They do after all make up 28% of the Latino population in Florida. While the Cuban makes up 31% how many Puerto Rican's do you think are going to be beating down the doors to vote for him next November?
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

B0pp0

Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:27 pm

This had made me, an American, into a proud COMMUNIST.

Democracy is dead. At least Communism cares about people. The way we treat Cuban exiles is the same tyranny that we fought a war over if not worse. "All men are created equal" my a**, 1M in a swing state should not hold the rest of the nation hostage.

VIVA FIDEL Y RAUL Y MIGUEL!!
FDT, FRD, FRS, FMR, AND F ALL THE EXILE SNOWFLAKES!!!

OA260

Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:39 pm

Aesma wrote:
Old Cuban exiles that have lost "everything" (despite now probably being richer than most people in Cuba) because of Castro want the island to suffer until it changes back to a US puppet government.

Correct its a vendetta really and for the rest of the American population a case of hurt pride from 1961 !

B0pp0

Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:17 pm

OA260 wrote:
Aesma wrote:
Old Cuban exiles that have lost "everything" (despite now probably being richer than most people in Cuba) because of Castro want the island to suffer until it changes back to a US puppet government.

Correct its a vendetta really and for the rest of the American population a case of hurt pride from 1961 !

People talk about snowflakes, the real snowflakes are Cuban exiles that act solely on their hurt feelings.

Just ask Haitians, Cambodians, and Vietnamese who had to go through hoops to get to the US to escape famine, genocide, and political persecution. They should've gotten the same preferential treatment as Cubans did but somehow they weren't worthy. America needs a President who will stand up to their tyranny.

I hate them. Not because of their race but because of their being whiny and petulant and that they huddle in South Florida where they can get pandered to in isolation.

alfa164

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:13 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
The only thing we should be ambivalent about is restriction of individual liberty. Americans should be able to travel where they please provided they have the means and understand the risks.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: This.

America, the land of the free... and the home of those who are restricted from traveling to countries some political hacks don't want us to travel to...
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

mham001

Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:06 pm

B0pp0 wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

People talk about snowflakes, the real snowflakes are Cuban exiles that act solely on their hurt feelings.

Just ask Haitians, Cambodians, and Vietnamese who had to go through hoops to get to the US to escape famine, genocide, and political persecution. They should've gotten the same preferential treatment as Cubans did but somehow they weren't worthy. America needs a President who will stand up to their tyranny.

I hate them. Not because of their race but because of their being whiny and petulant and that they huddle in South Florida where they can get pandered to in isolation.

The Vietnamese did get some preferential treatment, i don't know what all but that is why so many came in the 70's.

alfa164 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
The only thing we should be ambivalent about is restriction of individual liberty. Americans should be able to travel where they please provided they have the means and understand the risks.
:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: This.

[ America, the land of the free... and the home of those who are restricted from traveling to countries some political hacks don't want us to travel to...

Or preventing dumbasses from providing precious dollars to allow a repressive government to further repress its people...and others.

alfa164

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:57 am

mham001 wrote:
Or preventing dumbasses from providing precious dollars to allow a repressive government to further repress its people...and others.

You must mean those "dumbasses" who go to Saudi Arabia... or China or Bahrain or even Vietnam... or, for that matter, Alabama - and, wouldn't you know it, Florida.

There are a myriad of other places with more unhappy and "repressed" people than Cuba, but those places have the political clout (or the Trump properties) to avoid scrutiny. But for Florida... I feel your pain down there...

;)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....