jdstJD
Topic Author

Calling all female Anet’ers...

Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:01 am

On another thread someone mentioned that there weren’t too many females on this site, which I suspect is true. However, I do believe I’ve seen some posts by females so I thought it would be nice to know just how many ladies we do have on the site (active posters or lurkers). I would love to be able to chat with other ladies about our aviation interests and what brought us to the site and others like it. It would be even more awesome to know if there are any female pilots on the site.

Speak up if you’re comfortable doing so and let’s chat with one another!!
Lawyer, frequent air traveler and aviation enthusiast.

TWA772LR

Re: Calling all female Anet’ers...

Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:59 am

For the record, I take credit for the inspiration of this thread. ;)
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

BN747

Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:47 pm

Wow!

That many huh?

A.net....you have some diversity issues, surely with so many new-gen female spotters these days, there has to be some active out reach!

The locals here can use some female 'expression' in the ranks.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Super80Fan

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:43 pm

BN747 wrote:
Wow!

That many huh?

A.net....you have some diversity issues, surely with so many new-gen female spotters these days, there has to be some active out reach!

BN747

This is what happens when you have 70 year old guys whine about "the good old days" of paid membership and ridiculing anyone who might not be an expert on certain things.

Not only are you not going to attract any women most younger guys are going to be off put by it as well.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

vikkyvik

Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:53 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
This is what happens when you have 70 year old guys whine about "the good old days" of paid membership and ridiculing anyone who might not be an expert on certain things. Not only are you not going to attract any women most younger guys are going to be off put by it as well.

That may be partially true. But I'd say more likely, most newer spotters are just going directly to Facebook/Instagram/whatever, and never even make it here to be ridiculed by 70 year old guys.

See this thread for some thoughts on this:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1387307
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

BN747

Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:15 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Wow!

That many huh?

BN747

This is what happens when you have 70 year old guys whine about "the good old days" of paid membership and ridiculing anyone who might not be an expert on certain things.

Not only are you not going to attract any women most younger guys are going to be off put by it as well.

I know the conservatives here won't be able to hold back on ridiculing and attacking females here....but I didn't know you were 70 years old.

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

Airstud

Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:22 pm

BN747 wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Wow!

That many huh?

BN747

I know the conservatives here won't be able to hold back on ridiculing and attacking females here....but I didn't know you were 70 years old.

BN747

When have I ridiculed or attacked the females of a.net?
Pancakes are delicious.

Super80Fan

Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:09 am

Airstud wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

BN747

BN747 was talking about me, not you.

BN747, is there any proof to your accusations, or are we lying again per usual?
RIP McDonnell Douglas

BN747

Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:24 am

Airstud wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

BN747

Wow...so now you are suddenly ALL conservatives rolled into one?

Interesting perspective...

Super80Fan wrote:
Airstud wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

As for you, are you now the representative of ALL conservatives now?

Which part flummoxed you? Being a crotchety 70 year old? Or That you felt 'talked about' with the mention of conservative antagonism against women?

Here again, stating the obvious....

ATTENTION *** to all who can comprehend the English language.

Fact:Conservatives are NOT accommodating of women beyond the bedroom and the kitchen. Outside Trailer Parks, you won't find women anywhere boasting of Conservatives championing there causes. Laura Ingraham, Sarah Chunk-a-Beast Sanders and Kelly Ann Conway are not currently Trailer Park residents but indeed are ardent supporters of 'Women being in Their place'

Women know conservatives are NOT their friends - full Stop!

Now, prove me wrong or STFU...

BN747

DL717

Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:50 am

BN747 wrote:
Wow!

That many huh?

BN747

Chicks don’t hang out on the fence line of an airport like nerds. They get a ride in the cockpit.

(And yeah, that’s a joke, but possibly true)
Last edited by DL717 on Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

DL717

Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:51 am

BN747 wrote:
Airstud wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

Super80Fan wrote:
Airstud wrote:

Which part flummoxed you? Being a crotchety 70 year old? Or That you felt 'talked about' with the mention of conservative antagonism against women?

Fact:Conservatives are NOT accommodating of women beyond the bedroom and the kitchen. Outside Trailer Parks, you won't find women anywhere boasting of Conservatives championing there causes. Laura Ingraham, Sarah Chunk-a-Beast Sanders and Kelly Ann Conway are not currently Trailer Park residents but indeed are ardent supporters of 'Women being in Their place'

BN747

You should stop posting this kind of garbage. I mean seriously, how much more insulting toward women can you be?

BN747

Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:14 am

DL717 wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Wow!

That many huh?

BN747

Chicks don’t hang out on the fence line of an airport like nerds. They get a ride in the cockpit.

Poor joke because women are now hanging with the camera gear at the fences....get out and away from your old dusty memories...

DL717 wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Airstud wrote:

Super80Fan wrote:

BN747

You should stop posting this kind of garbage. I mean seriously, how much more insulting toward women can you be?

Wait...

What's the 'garbage? Where is the flaw or did you fail English comprehension?

I think what you are trying to say, just like the two fellas above is..."Hey, I'm a conservative! He's talking about me! ..I don't hate women, well not that much!"...yeah DL717, it's that obvious.... the corner the other two parked themselves into, you're now crowding them out because your 'it's garbage, but accompanied by NO refutable facts...' expresses your true frustrations.

And it's not me with the Female problem, it's YOU, your pals and your political beliefs.

BN747

Super80Fan

Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:16 am

BN747 wrote:
Airstud wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

Super80Fan wrote:
Airstud wrote:

BN747

You seem to think for some weird reason I'm a conservative, despite evidence otherwise.

To answer OP's question/concern, all you have to do is look at any BN747 reply. It would scare most rational people off.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

BN747

Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:56 am

BN747 wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Wow!

That many huh?

BN747

BN747

Me speaking of 'conservatives'...specifically.

Then YOU 'self-proclaimed as a Non-conservative' goes on the defense as a conservative would with this....
Super80Fan wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Airstud wrote:

Super80Fan wrote:

BN747

You seem to think for some weird reason I'm a conservative, despite evidence otherwise.

To answer OP's question/concern, all you have to do is look at any BN747 reply. It would scare most rational people off.

Then one must ask..'What rational person' would believe a word from a person acting/speaking better than any conservative EVER could!....then emphatically claims he is Not!

Reconcile, plz....

BN747

Super80Fan

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:18 am

BN747 wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

BN747

Then YOU 'self-proclaimed as a Non-conservative' goes on the defense as a conservative would with this....
Super80Fan wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

Then one must ask..'What rational person' would believe a word from a person acting/speaking better than any conservative EVER could!....then emphatically claims he is Not!

Reconcile, plz....

BN747

You replied to me using the "conservative" term, even though I mentioned no political talk in my original reply to this thread.

You brought politics into this, so YOU should explain why you even mentioned "conservatives" in the first place when there has been nothing political till you came around...
RIP McDonnell Douglas

chimborazo

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:14 am

“Like most 14 year old girls chatting on the internet, I’m a 50 year old obese man...” or something to that effect.

How did this thread go so far away from JD’s initial post???

Good luck JD...

I’m not a girl but can have a civilised conversation with ladies about aviation should you wish!

BN747

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:16 am

Super80Fan wrote:
BN747 wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

Super80Fan wrote:

Reconcile, plz....

BN747

You replied to me using the "conservative" term, even though I mentioned no political talk in my original reply to this thread.

You brought politics into this, so YOU should explain why you even mentioned "conservatives" in the first place when there has been nothing political till you came around...

And you are of rational mind required to discern the difference between the following....

"I know the conservatives here..." (note the plurality presence - and general reference)

vs

"I know this conservative here..." (noun specific)

...you can spot the difference, right?

BN747

scbriml

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:58 am

After reading this thread, I'm only surprised that people express surprise that there aren't more women here. :sarcastic:

jdstJD wrote:
Speak up if you’re comfortable doing so and let’s chat with one another!!

Good luck with your quest. You might end up talking to yourself.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Number6

Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:53 am

Wow. Forgot about this thread. First up, I’m a woman and I work in the industry as a journalist. I know my way around a flight deck and despite getting older, I still love aviation in all its forms.

I’ll agree with Scbrimi though, it’s amusing to see people be surprised there aren’t more of us. :)

BN747

Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:34 am

Number6 wrote:
Wow. Forgot about this thread. First up, I’m a woman and I work in the industry as a journalist. I know my way around a flight deck and despite getting older, I still love aviation in all its forms.

I’ll agree with Scbrimi though, it’s amusing to see people be surprised there aren’t more of us. :)

Good to see, more participation is needed!

My back n' forth with 'the others' above points to why many women may refrain from participating due to the Non-Av threads due a litany of ruthless, sexist misogynistic comments that have made a home here. And like every A.net participant, MOST (if not ALL) - males & females....lurk and catch the vibe here before chiming in. Very few people join and immediately start posting - except the constant name changers (due to extreme self-inflicted embarrassment)...but most people sit in the bleachers before diving in...and if women have (and I assure you they have) followed the typical A.net user, what they saw over the past decade and beyond was indeed far from 'welcoming'.

After all, aviation does have it's roots in conservative circles and you women who work in the industry don't need me to tell you that. But if you've been watching for awhile...then you know it has gotten better and better in tolerance.

BN747

Kno

Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:02 am

I will chime in and say that outside of a.met I meet a far more diverse range of aviation enthusiasts of various ages, ethnicities, and genders.

I have seen a disturbing amount of racism and misogyny here - plenty of ageism too -you would have to be blind to suggest that there is no correlation between this reality and the grumpy old conservative male crowd that make up a significant portion of this forum.

Frankly this place could use a new generation with a little diversity, it might reduce the blandness some members crave - I completely understand why many people who don’t fit the common demographic here would be hesitant to join.

N757ST

Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:36 am

Kno wrote:
I will chime in and say that outside of a.met I meet a far more diverse range of aviation enthusiasts of various ages, ethnicities, and genders.

I have seen a disturbing amount of racism and misogyny here - plenty of ageism too -you would have to be blind to suggest that there is no correlation between this reality and the grumpy old conservative male crowd that make up a significant portion of this forum.

Frankly this place could use a new generation with a little diversity, it might reduce the blandness some members crave - I completely understand why many people who don’t fit the common demographic here would be hesitant to join.

Are you really arguing that the common demographic here is old conservative males? I might be reading a different forum, but I don’t see that at all. While I’ll completely agree this site is overwhelmingly male, i’d also argue it is overwhelmingly liberal in bias. While there certainly isn’t a massive amount of participation especially in this non-av section, those that do tend to lean fairly liberal, with about 5 or 6 conservative posters in the mix.

I participate, albeit fairly infrequently, not as a spotter but as a pilot for the airlines. It’s not just aviation spotters, aviation junkies, etc that participate here but a variety of facets of the industry, including a fairly large amount of professionals including myself. Not being a spotter, I can’t attest to the amount of diversity that exists within their ranks. I can attest to the demographics that exist within the industry itself, and parts can be very diverse, while others are not. Pilots, by a very large margin, tend to be white male and conservative. There are certainly exceptions to that rule, and there seems to be a sizable although not very vocal LGBT section of that group. I’d go as far to say there are more black male pilots then there are female pilots, it is very much male dominated. Black female pilots are a unicorn, they are very few and far between. There is far more diversity in the flight attendant ranks, and obviously a very large and vocal representation from the LGBT community. I’d go as far as saying that there are as many if not more minority females then white females in my crewbase which contains 2500+ flight attendants.

As for BN747, part of the problem here is compartmentalizing peoples political views. You seem to take the stance of you are either conservative or liberal, with very little room in the middle. A “you’re with me or against me” stance. My wife is a free independent thinker, and agrees with liberals on some issues and conservatives on others. I am of the same stance. I suppose most would say I lean on the right side of the line, but to lump me in with all conservatives would be wrong. My wife and I both support a women’s choice to abortion, we both support LGBT issues, stances, and certainly the right to marry. We are against illegal immigration and support efforts to stem their flow, though we disagree with many if not most of this administrations policies in that regard. We are for self sufficiency, believe in lowering taxes and regulations that inhibit business growth. To infer that females that have conservative thought are from the “trailer park” and that conservatives only care to put their wife in the kitchen is ludicrous. Here on the Connecticut coast we are far from any trailer park and my wife and her co workers are all in the medical field, and often agree with many conservative ideals with reference to government. Of note, we are NOT southern babysit religious zealot conservatives here. We don’t go to church, I don’t believe in god, and I find the moral regulation of the south repugnant. Perhaps though before you cast these large nets of what conservative and liberal are, you could tone in down a bit and realize there are many shades that exist between red and blue.

DL717

Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:58 pm

BN747 wrote:
DL717 wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Wow!

That many huh?

BN747

Poor joke because women are now hanging with the camera gear at the fences....get out and away from your old dusty memories...

DL717 wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

Wait...

What's the 'garbage? Where is the flaw or did you fail English comprehension?

I think what you are trying to say, just like the two fellas above is..."Hey, I'm a conservative! He's talking about me! ..I don't hate women, well not that much!"...yeah DL717, it's that obvious.... the corner the other two parked themselves into, you're now crowding them out because your 'it's garbage, but accompanied by NO refutable facts...' expresses your true frustrations.

And it's not me with the Female problem, it's YOU, your pals and your political beliefs.

BN747

They certainly aren’t hanging on the fence line with you. Man, you need to take a break.

DL717

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:02 pm

N757ST wrote:
Kno wrote:

Are you really arguing that the common demographic here is old conservative males? I might be reading a different forum, but I don’t see that at all. While I’ll completely agree this site is overwhelmingly male, i’d also argue it is overwhelmingly liberal in bias. While there certainly isn’t a massive amount of participation especially in this non-av section, those that do tend to lean fairly liberal, with about 5 or 6 conservative posters in the mix.

I participate, albeit fairly infrequently, not as a spotter but as a pilot for the airlines. It’s not just aviation spotters, aviation junkies, etc that participate here but a variety of facets of the industry, including a fairly large amount of professionals including myself. Not being a spotter, I can’t attest to the amount of diversity that exists within their ranks. I can attest to the demographics that exist within the industry itself, and parts can be very diverse, while others are not. Pilots, by a very large margin, tend to be white male and conservative. There are certainly exceptions to that rule, and there seems to be a sizable although not very vocal LGBT section of that group. I’d go as far to say there are more black male pilots then there are female pilots, it is very much male dominated. Black female pilots are a unicorn, they are very few and far between. There is far more diversity in the flight attendant ranks, and obviously a very large and vocal representation from the LGBT community. I’d go as far as saying that there are as many if not more minority females then white females in my crewbase which contains 2500+ flight attendants.

As for BN747, part of the problem here is compartmentalizing peoples political views. You seem to take the stance of you are either conservative or liberal, with very little room in the middle. A “you’re with me or against me” stance. My wife is a free independent thinker, and agrees with liberals on some issues and conservatives on others. I am of the same stance. I suppose most would say I lean on the right side of the line, but to lump me in with all conservatives would be wrong. My wife and I both support a women’s choice to abortion, we both support LGBT issues, stances, and certainly the right to marry. We are against illegal immigration and support efforts to stem their flow, though we disagree with many if not most of this administrations policies in that regard. We are for self sufficiency, believe in lowering taxes and regulations that inhibit business growth. To infer that females that have conservative thought are from the “trailer park” and that conservatives only care to put their wife in the kitchen is ludicrous. Here on the Connecticut coast we are far from any trailer park and my wife and her co workers are all in the medical field, and often agree with many conservative ideals with reference to government. Of note, we are NOT southern babysit religious zealot conservatives here. We don’t go to church, I don’t believe in god, and I find the moral regulation of the south repugnant. Perhaps though before you cast these large nets of what conservative and liberal are, you could tone in down a bit and realize there are many shades that exist between red and blue.

End thread.

Kno

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:15 pm

N757ST wrote:
Kno wrote:

What I meant was old conservative males make up a significant portion of the forum - maybe not the majority but significant in that I think they have a strong enough presence to deter a lot of people from joining. In hindsight I think common demographic was a poor choice in words.

To your point that many parts of the industry are diverse I think that's a great example - I have met a much wider variety of people from the industry who are enthusiasts from various backgrounds and you don't really see that same representation here.

DL717

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:25 pm

Kno wrote:
N757ST wrote:
Kno wrote:

What I meant was old conservative males make up a significant portion of the forum - maybe not the majority but significant in that I think they have a strong enough presence to deter a lot of people from joining. In hindsight I think common demographic was a poor choice in words.

To your point that many parts of the industry are diverse I think that's a great example - I have met a much wider variety of people from the industry who are enthusiasts from various backgrounds and you don't really see that same representation here.

Disagree. This site is decidedly liberal. Politics have nothing to do with female membership here. Forums in general are predominantly male.

Airstud

Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:50 pm

BN747 wrote:
Airstud wrote:
BN747 wrote:

BN747

No. You referred to "the conservatives here" and that's a group I belong to; hence my entitlement to an explanation.
Pancakes are delicious.

jdstJD
Topic Author

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:32 am

Wow! My thread actually generated some discussion! I’m excited. Although it looks like there is only one female who has responded, I’m happy that at least there are two of us :)

I can’t (and don’t want to) delve into the controversies regarding whether and to what extent males on the site are welcoming or antagonistic toward women on the site but I will say that it’s well known that the aviation industry has been and remains a male dominated profession. I’m not one who feels that anytime there is a high number of a particular group of people in a profession or in any other area of society that there automatically must be a discriminatory effort behind it. People tend to veer toward those things they have an interest in and if that happens to result in a higher concentration of a certain group than others, that’s fine. In this case, I just wanted to reach out to any other women on the site so that we could share our perspectives which may or may not be any different than the guys.

Super80Fan

Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:14 am

N757ST wrote:
Kno wrote:

Great post.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

BN747

Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:11 am

N757ST wrote:

Your perspective is understandable if you don't know 'what was..' here leading up to now from the past 20 years, user 'Kno' seems to grasp it perfectly.
And it's nice to hear about your comfy fuzzy personal relation...A.net could use more of those too!

I was explaining what prospective women were exposed to here over the near past - thus why so few willing participants.

But leading up to now myself and many other brave souls too the wrath of 'hardliners' who were responsible for the untolerable conditions they attempted to keep thriving...combating those who were virulent homophobic - make it more accepting for gays to open here, a few who fight back against the racists made it easier for any ethnicity to identify themselves and fear being shamed or flamed.

There was a reason why so female A.net participants stuck around this forum...I think I just laid it out why.

BN747

Look2theSky

Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:49 am

Hi, female here.
Lurker for several years. I am fairly new to the aviation world. I cannot converse well in “aviation speak” yet, and so I learn a lot here, but I don’t post.
I watch planes when I can, hang out at local airports listening to air traffic control. Watch flights on flight radar, eating up what data I learn. Watch all aviation videos, and shows that I can find. Listen to ATC videos almost every day. Read up on aviation news, different aspects of the industry. Generally, just very interested and inquisitive. I like reading about the details, the whys. Air crash investigations are fascinating. Not the morbid aspect, but how they figure it out. The engineering, the science, etc. The human element as well.
If I happen to get some jets coming in low over top of me, at the right place and the right time, I am the person who is whooping with excitement, saying what I do know to my friends and family, like a very happy plane nerd. It’s in me. I am developing it. Apps help. Lol
My husband sometimes works near Pearson Airport. He is so close to the jets coming in, he can see the passengers in the windows. One coworker ducked because he thought the jet was so close to them it was going to crash his first day. My husband just thinks, “How can I get my wife here to see this, she would love it.” We are thinking of getting a great plane spotting hotel room to watch planes some weekend...just for fun. Not the theatre, concert, or a romantic getaway. Plane spotting. :-)
I am at home due to serious health issues, and he has learned that when it is very bad, to start asking me about the latest aviation news. He has found it is a wonderful distraction that seems to help me. I just start gasping out the latest I have read. Smart guy.
I don’t know if there is much I could add to conversations, except enthusiasm. I really don’t want to get caught up in all the politics, or some of the splicing and dicing of comments to one up folks I see sometimes on the board. Different views are fine and interesting, but I just don’t have the patience for that. Sometimes there is a lot of ego on display. It is very strong on this site...and I don’t mean to be rude. But it seems like a lot of “mine is bigger than yours” on threads. Maybe it’s certain repeat offenders. I see on this forum a lot of very seemingly intelligent people that spar at just about anything, in a way that feels like debating teams trying to out do each other. “I am smarter than you, gotch ya” kind of thing. It is fascinating because it is juvenile even when they present themselves as highly logical, and highly educated posters speaking very technically. They may be right or wrong or somewhere in between, but I am not fond of it. It is like a very educated and SNOBBY.... playground. The tone can get very high and mighty, and dripping with condescension. It does not make a newby want to ask an honest, but too simplistic question to the board. There is not always a nice welcome or even patience for those posters. Some feel it is almost wasting other’s time by asking. Go look it up. (I have, I still don’t understand something....for ex.). So the forum feels like you have to be at a certain level to participate. The members who are patient with those of us not in the field in any way, and wanting to learn (or get clarification) are very much appreciated. There are many pleasant, to the point posters like that. But boy it seems like I have to sift through people trying to cause action on the boards by being contrary, argumentative, provocative. I particularly appreciate and am fascinated by the insight of very experienced pilots, engineers, mechanics, investigators, airport employees , who calmly explain what they know from their profession on a subject. It is so insightful. It gives an armchair enthusiast a view into aspects of their world. One I will not know first hand, with so many aspects to consider. And if there is respectful dialogue that is clearly, calmly explained from different viewpoints, it is fantastic. The level of experience creates great discussion. I learn so much from these posters.
Anyways, one more female who is present.

vikkyvik

Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:02 pm

I say this knowing that since I posted earlier in the thread, I'm technically part of the problem.

It's interesting that a thread for female A.netters has 30 posts, some 27 of which are from males.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

RachelMarie

Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:07 am

Hello, Everyone,

I enjoy reading your posts and it's a pleasure to meet you all via this online community. Best wishes! xo

BN747

Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:32 am

Look2theSky wrote:
Hi, female here.
Lurker for several years. I am fairly new to the aviation world. I cannot converse well in “aviation speak” yet, and so I learn a lot here, but I don’t post.[/quote

Not a problem, welcome aboard!

RachelMarie wrote:
Hello, Everyone,

I enjoy reading your posts and it's a pleasure to meet you all via this online community. Best wishes! xo

And a warm welcome as well, now if you ladies would lend support to A,net member dstJD and establish a permanent non-Av female presence...they'd be awesome...!

I actually thought there'd be more 'gentlemen' in support of this....or are they inclined to keep 'women out' of the boys club?

BN747

TSS

Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:06 am

BN747 wrote:
Look2theSky wrote:
Hi, female here.
Lurker for several years. I am fairly new to the aviation world. I cannot converse well in “aviation speak” yet, and so I learn a lot here, but I don’t post.

If you haven't already, check out the Tech/Ops forum. Responses there tend to be more "Just the facts..." with a much more favorable snark-to-info ratio than in Civ/Av.

BN747 wrote:
I actually thought there'd be more 'gentlemen' in support of this....or are they inclined to keep 'women out' of the boys club?

Well, the thread is titled "Calling all female Anet'ers..." and I'm not female, so... (insert "shrug" emoji here)
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

jdstJD
Topic Author

Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:34 am

Look2theSky wrote:
Hi, female here.
I watch planes when I can, hang out at local airports listening to air traffic control. Watch flights on flight radar, eating up what data I learn. Watch all aviation videos, and shows that I can find. Listen to ATC videos almost every day. Read up on aviation news, different aspects of the industry. Generally, just very interested and inquisitive. I like reading about the details, the whys. Air crash investigations are fascinating. Not the morbid aspect, but how they figure it out. The engineering, the science, etc. The human element as well.
If I happen to get some jets coming in low over top of me, at the right place and the right time, I am the person who is whooping with excitement, saying what I do know to my friends and family, like a very happy plane nerd. It’s in me. I am developing it. Apps help. Lol
My husband sometimes works near Pearson Airport. He is so close to the jets coming in, he can see the passengers in the windows. One coworker ducked because he thought the jet was so close to them it was going to crash his first day. My husband just thinks, “How can I get my wife here to see this, she would love it.” We are thinking of getting a great plane spotting hotel room to watch planes some weekend...just for fun. Not the theatre, concert, or a romantic getaway. Plane spotting. :-)
I am at home due to serious health issues, and he has learned that when it is very bad, to start asking me about the latest aviation news. He has found it is a wonderful distraction that seems to help me. I just start gasping out the latest I have read. Smart guy.
I don’t know if there is much I could add to conversations, except enthusiasm. I really don’t want to get caught up in all the politics, or some of the splicing and dicing of comments to one up folks I see sometimes on the board. Different views are fine and interesting, but I just don’t have the patience for that. Sometimes there is a lot of ego on display. It is very strong on this site...and I don’t mean to be rude. But it seems like a lot of “mine is bigger than yours” on threads. Maybe it’s certain repeat offenders. I see on this forum a lot of very seemingly intelligent people that spar at just about anything, in a way that feels like debating teams trying to out do each other. “I am smarter than you, gotch ya” kind of thing. It is fascinating because it is juvenile even when they present themselves as highly logical, and highly educated posters speaking very technically. They may be right or wrong or somewhere in between, but I am not fond of it. It is like a very educated and SNOBBY.... playground. The tone can get very high and mighty, and dripping with condescension. It does not make a newby want to ask an honest, but too simplistic question to the board. There is not always a nice welcome or even patience for those posters. Some feel it is almost wasting other’s time by asking. Go look it up. (I have, I still don’t understand something....for ex.). So the forum feels like you have to be at a certain level to participate. The members who are patient with those of us not in the field in any way, and wanting to learn (or get clarification) are very much appreciated. There are many pleasant, to the point posters like that. But boy it seems like I have to sift through people trying to cause action on the boards by being contrary, argumentative, provocative. I particularly appreciate and am fascinated by the insight of very experienced pilots, engineers, mechanics, investigators, airport employees , who calmly explain what they know from their profession on a subject. It is so insightful. It gives an armchair enthusiast a view into aspects of their world. One I will not know first hand, with so many aspects to consider. And if there is respectful dialogue that is clearly, calmly explained from different viewpoints, it is fantastic. The level of experience creates great discussion. I learn so much from these posters.

Hi!! So happy you decided to post! So much of what you said I can relate to and I’m glad to know I’m not as strange as I thought I was. I listen to liveatc.net via my app on my phone and through the Bluetooth in my car often on my way to work in the morning. The highway also runs right underneath the flight path at my city’s airport as the planes are landing on the runway so sometimes I can catch one coming low if I’m on the highway at the right time. And yes I love the crash investigation shows too. I watch Air Disasters on Smithsonian channel whenever I see that it’s on. I never imagined anyone would understand why I’m into this stuff, lol. It’s pretty lonely being an avi-geek, especially a female one. I guess I’ve been lucky to not have had any experiences on this site with rude or misogynistic posts toward me and in fact I’ve been made to feel pretty welcomed. I’ve visited other sites and trust me they are not as welcoming. I think it’s because other sites are almost exclusively for pilots so unless you are one it’s not a very warm environment. Therefore you can’t really ask questions and get non-condescending responses. Here I think it’s more comfortable because there are many members on here who are not pilots and are ok with holding conversations about aviation related topics even if you’re not in the industry.

BN747

Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:33 am

TSS wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Look2theSky wrote:
Hi, female here.

If you haven't already, check out the Tech/Ops forum. Responses there tend to be more "Just the facts..." with a much more favorable snark-to-info ratio than in Civ/Av.

BN747 wrote:

Well, the thread is titled "Calling all female Anet'ers..." and I'm not female, so... (insert "shrug" emoji here)

It's about 'encouragement, support' (as in supporting of other disenfranchised groups, races, sexes, etc) my man...it ain't always about 'us'.
...as you can see, it works. Slowly, but it keeps the thread rotating current.

BN747

Look2theSky

Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:24 pm

TSS wrote:
BN747 wrote:
Look2theSky wrote:
Hi, female here.

Thank you all for the welcome, and TSS, I will check that thread out more often. Good tip! Thanks! :wink2:
Hello to everyone.
Hi Rachel. It is a pleasure to meet you too. :wave:
BN747, you sound like a true gentleman. I love class acts. Male or female.
Well it seems we do have a lot in common after all jdstJD! :veryhappy:

BN747

Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:51 pm

Look2theSky wrote:
TSS wrote:
BN747 wrote:

Thank you all for the welcome, and TSS, I will check that thread out more often. Good tip! Thanks! :wink2:
Hello to everyone.
Hi Rachel. It is a pleasure to meet you too. :wave:
BN747, you sound like a true gentleman. I love class acts. Male or female.
Well it seems we do have a lot in common after all jdstJD! :veryhappy:

Thank you Look2, I really appreciate the kind words and full disclosure... I'm not all that qualified to meet 'true gentleman' standards - too much bad 'stud' in me...but I do know quite a bit about support when someone makes the call.

cheers,

BN747

trpmb6

Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:22 am

jdstJD wrote:
Look2theSky wrote:
Hi, female here.

Hi!! So happy you decided to post! So much of what you said I can relate to and I’m glad to know I’m not as strange as I thought I was. I listen to liveatc.net via my app on my phone and through the Bluetooth in my car often on my way to work in the morning. The highway also runs right underneath the flight path at my city’s airport as the planes are landing on the runway so sometimes I can catch one coming low if I’m on the highway at the right time. And yes I love the crash investigation shows too. I watch Air Disasters on Smithsonian channel whenever I see that it’s on. I never imagined anyone would understand why I’m into this stuff, lol. It’s pretty lonely being an avi-geek, especially a female one. I guess I’ve been lucky to not have had any experiences on this site with rude or misogynistic posts toward me and in fact I’ve been made to feel pretty welcomed. I’ve visited other sites and trust me they are not as welcoming. I think it’s because other sites are almost exclusively for pilots so unless you are one it’s not a very warm environment. Therefore you can’t really ask questions and get non-condescending responses. Here I think it’s more comfortable because there are many members on here who are not pilots and are ok with holding conversations about aviation related topics even if you’re not in the industry.

If you enjoy the investigative shows may I also suggest taking a look at avherald.com

Simon does a great job of compiling and summarizing data from nearly all incidents that happen in commercial aviation.

jdstJD
Topic Author

Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:40 am

trpmb6 wrote:
jdstJD wrote:
Look2theSky wrote:
Hi, female here.

If you enjoy the investigative shows may I also suggest taking a look at avherald.com

Simon does a great job of compiling and summarizing data from nearly all incidents that happen in commercial aviation.

Thanks! I will check it out :)

denkcflyer

Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:29 am

Hello!

I am female too.

I don’t work in the aviation industry, but have developed a fascination with it. I still remember my first flight at age 16 and realizing the doors that would be opened for me.

I live in a remote area, so we only have a few small airports nearby with no commercial service. I do live under a flight path from DIA, and see some military jets flying over often as well. I enjoy watching them from down below. Parking in a different lot than normal right next to the runways at DIA on my most recent flight was SO cool. I could definitely see myself getting into spotting if I lived in the city.

I recently developed a fear of flying, not totally debilitating, but still present in my life. I believe it stemmed from an unrelated panic attack I had mid air once, and that I don’t enjoy being “out of control” so to speak. My fascination with air disasters probably doesn’t help this... but I’m working on it!

I love to come on here and lurk, rarely offer my two cents but enjoy learning from the professionals. I would love to fly a plane one day if I ever fully overcome this fear.

jdstJD
Topic Author

Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:34 pm

denkcflyer wrote:
Hello!

I am female too.

I don’t work in the aviation industry, but have developed a fascination with it. I still remember my first flight at age 16 and realizing the doors that would be opened for me.

I live in a remote area, so we only have a few small airports nearby with no commercial service. I do live under a flight path from DIA, and see some military jets flying over often as well. I enjoy watching them from down below. Parking in a different lot than normal right next to the runways at DIA on my most recent flight was SO cool. I could definitely see myself getting into spotting if I lived in the city.

I recently developed a fear of flying, not totally debilitating, but still present in my life. I believe it stemmed from an unrelated panic attack I had mid air once, and that I don’t enjoy being “out of control” so to speak. My fascination with air disasters probably doesn’t help this... but I’m working on it!

I love to come on here and lurk, rarely offer my two cents but enjoy learning from the professionals. I would love to fly a plane one day if I ever fully overcome this fear.

Hi denkcflyer. Nice to meet you! Thanks for posting. Look forward to chatting more with you about shared interests :)

Look2theSky

Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:56 am

Hi Denkcflyer, thanks for speaking up and introducing yourself.
Well it sounds like aviation plays an especially important part of life where you live. I imagine it represents so many things.
Panic attacks are vivid and often whatever you are doing, or where ever you are gets enmeshed in the experience. You associate the fear and sensations with those surroundings. It is wise and beneficial that you know this at least. It is very frightening obviously, worse when in public and unable to leave. Sorry, you experienced that. The thing is to try to ride it out and let the horror wash over you eventually realizing nothing bad actually happened except for the intense sensations. All is normal around you. Easier said than done. It takes great determination, and intense focus on being calm despite feeling the exact opposite....but it is worth it!

bennett123

Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:53 am

Seems like some people want to bring ‘diversity’ into every topic.

Why not just talk about our interest in Aviation and leave the gender issues to one side.

I have no problem with how people are, I do have a problem with being constantly lectured about what my views should be.

jdstJD
Topic Author

Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:11 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Seems like some people want to bring ‘diversity’ into every topic.

Why not just talk about our interest in Aviation and leave the gender issues to one side.

I have no problem with how people are, I do have a problem with being constantly lectured about what my views should be.

There are threads on every imaginable topic in this forum, especially in the “NON-AVIATION” forum. This was just a topic I was interested in discussing. It was never intended to exclude anyone. I just wanted to do exactly what the thread title indicated, which was find out whether there were any other female members. Sorry if it offended you.

Fars

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:55 am

I don't think you offend anyone. Everyone has a different idea.

Number6

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:26 am

I’ve been reading this forum long enough to know Bennett123 is a nice guy, and a Christian. He’s actually a great example of how it’s possible to be a person of faith and yet be open to the LGBTIQ community as an example. His faith is important to him. As such, when he talks above about being ‘told what to think’, I’m guessing (and I don’t want to be to presumptive) he’s talking more about the guys above breaking down the involvement in the industry and giving reasons why it’s good or bad, rather than our posts. Bennett123 has really faced some harsh arguments against his faith. I’m not a believer, but I do believe in love and let live. Like Bennett123 I only get pissed off when someone pushes what they believe onto me.

I hope this helps :)