1337Delta764
Topic Author

Get ready to pay online sales tax

Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:58 am

After the South Dakota vs. Wayfair ruling, most states with a sales tax have passed remote sales tax laws, with Arizona being the most recent state to do so. The three remaining states are Florida, Kansas, and Missouri. Bills are pending in Kansas and Missouri. Florida so far is the only state where such bill has failed.

While Amazon collects sales tax in all states with a sales tax, many other online retailers do not in states where they don't have a physical presence.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

trpmb6

Re: Get ready to pay online sales tax

Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:25 pm

Here in Kansas we already pay online sales taxes.

Tugger

Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:40 pm

I'm good with it and support it.

I mean it was fun while it lasted, being able to make big ticket purchases on line and "save" 7+% or so (especially when free shipping became the norm) was great. But it really never made sense as the modern version of cross border shopping became a force. And now it is easier for online systems to track all the various tax jurisdictions and charge it based on delivery zips.

Next big tax battle will be how to recoup lost road tax revenues lost from gas taxes as vehicles go more electric and super efficient.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

noviorbis77

Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:33 pm

Fully support it.

Protects physical stores and helps keep retail staff in jobs.

TheFlyingDisk

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:21 pm

Tugger wrote:
Next big tax battle will be how to recoup lost road tax revenues lost from gas taxes as vehicles go more electric and super efficient.

Yearly road tax, more tolled roads, higher sales tax for cars.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Tugger

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:37 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Tugger wrote:

I think just a simple mileage logger. No tracking, no added cost for infrastructure and upkeep (toll terminals etc), keeps it balanced with those who use the most miles on the road pay the most. All vehicles track their mileage and modern vehicles communicate with the manufacturer now and send data (just like our phones do already).

I don't want live tracking, but I get the need to pay for what we use and need to keep using. And mileage is the simplest way. I realize it doesn't allow for different regions taxes etc. but I am thinking that the majority of our driving is in and around our home regions so it should work. Commercial use can be tracked differently

Just my two cents.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

T18

Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:04 pm

Tugger wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Tugger wrote:

I think just a simple mileage logger. No tracking, no added cost for infrastructure and upkeep (toll terminals etc), keeps it balanced with those who use the most miles on the road pay the most. All vehicles track their mileage and modern vehicles communicate with the manufacturer now and send data (just like our phones do already).

I don't want live tracking, but I get the need to pay for what we use and need to keep using. And mileage is the simplest way. I realize it doesn't allow for different regions taxes etc. but I am thinking that the majority of our driving is in and around our home regions so it should work. Commercial use can be tracked differently

Just my two cents.

Tugg

To bring us up to 4 cents, any mileage based road tax imo should also take vehicle gross weight into consideration as well. In my mind, the more damage you do to the roads the more you should pay to fix them. Added bonus, adds incentive to buy more practical smaller cars opposed to the 8 seat SUV for your one child family that could easily travel with nothing more than a 4 seat hatchback of nearly half the size and weight.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

Magog

Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:09 pm

Tugger wrote:

I'm concerned that this could be come a very regressive tax if low wage earners are forced farther and farther from urban centers in order to find affordable rent. It's already a regressive form of taxation, but this would just rub salt in those wounds.

Tugger

Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:36 pm

Magog wrote:
Tugger wrote:

I'm concerned that this could be come a very regressive tax if low wage earners are forced farther and farther from urban centers in order to find affordable rent. It's already a regressive form of taxation, but this would just rub salt in those wounds.

I'm OK with "regressive taxes" if they are for actual things. You use, you pay.
It's not really regressive beyond the fact that everyone has to pay and those that might be lower income may pay more of it due to circumstance. To me that is just life (otherwise you could argue everything should cost be based on income status etc. and be lower for those that earn lower).

I honestly think one of the biggest mistakes the Republicans and Dems made in the 1980's was to remove the lowest income earners from owing and paying income tax. Everyone needs to have some skin in the game, something (I think a 5% minimum tax would be appropriate) because we all use the systems the taxes pay for and all need to think "why am I supporting..." this or that? If you have nothing invested into it, no cash in the game so to speak, you tend to just go along. Why care, it doesn't cost you anything!

If you really want to get into a regressive cost structure then go after healthcare: Those without insurance pay the highest costs. Have you ever seen those official costbooks for hospitals and medications? Those with insurance, the insurance companies have negotiated large reductions (in general), those without just get hammered. I think the law should be "Everyone pays what the lowest negotiated cost payer pays". That would address the issue very quickly.

But that is just me. (And now I have dragged this poor thread waay off topic... Ooops! :blush: )

Tugg

Magog

Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:41 pm

Tugger wrote:
It's not really regressive beyond the fact that everyone has to pay and those that might be lower income may pay more of it due to circumstance. To me that is just life (otherwise you could argue everything should cost be based on income status etc. and be lower for those that earn lower).

No, it's regressive because a rich person who drives a hundred miles pays no more than a poor person who drives a hundred miles. A regressive tax is a tax applied uniformly, taking a larger percentage of income from low-income earners than from high-income earners.[/quote]

Tugger

Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:45 pm

Magog wrote:
Tugger wrote:

No, it's regressive because a rich person who drives a hundred miles pays no more than a poor person who drives a hundred miles. A regressive tax is a tax applied uniformly, taking a larger percentage of income from low-income earners than from high-income earners.

Yes, I understand that. As I said, I am OK with it as it is a straight "you use it, you pay it" tax, it is not truly regressive with a structure that makes those that earn less pay more in tax. I get that people who earn less often live farther away and therefor pay more in fuel costs and therefore more taxes associated with that.

Tugg

trpmb6

Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:14 pm

Magog wrote:
Tugger wrote:

No, it's regressive because a rich person who drives a hundred miles pays no more than a poor person who drives a hundred miles. A regressive tax is a tax applied uniformly, taking a larger percentage of income from low-income earners than from high-income earners.
[/quote]

This honestly might be the first time I actually believe you might be a Democrat.

Ken777

Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:52 am

I can see this eventually moving to a national sales tax, and that will probably be a standard 10%. The legal problem would be that some states use sales tax revenues to fund bond liabilities. That leads to the local taxes reducing the national tax, making it beneficial to have the local tax half a penny less that the national tax.

For those calling for the national sales tax being an ADDITIONAL sales tax on top of current ones I can think of less painful ways of committing suicide.

johns624

Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:58 am

Magog wrote:

Are you European by any chance? The reason I'm asking is that, for the most part, in the US the richer people live in the suburbs and the poor live in the core city. In Europe, it's oftentimes the opposite.

compensateme

Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:07 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
    After the South Dakota vs. Wayfair ruling, most states with a sales tax have passed remote sales tax laws, with Arizona being the most recent state to do so. The three remaining states are Florida, Kansas, and Missouri. Bills are pending in Kansas and Missouri. Florida so far is the only state where such bill has failed.

While Amazon collects sales tax in all states with a sales tax, many other online retailers do not in states where they don't have a physical presence.

Kinda deceptive narration. Every state that levies sales tax/state income tax requires you to pay sales tax on taxable items purchased online or out-of-state without paying sales tax and consumed within your home state. You generally do so on your state tax return.

All that’s happening here is that states are requiring this money.to be collected by resellers up front...
    We don’t care what your next flight is.