readytotaxi
Topic Author

London to get 360 roof top infinity pool, Bonkers!

Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:42 am

https://edition.cnn.com/style/article/i ... index.html

What a total waste of money, given Londons climate they will probably only use it 3 months a year. Surely this would have been better placed in a more temperate climate, and how does that get cleaned? Oh well, perhaps Jeff Bezos might like one.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Magog

Re: London to get 360 roof top infinity pool, Bonkers!

Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:52 am

How do you enter it?

Edit: A spiral staircase that rotates and rises through the water provides access for swimmers. The solution is based on the door of a submarine, coupled with a rotating spiral staircase which rises from the pool floor when someone wants to get in or out -- the absolute cutting edge of swimming pool and building design and a little bit James Bond to boot.

scbriml

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:00 am

Except it won't look anything like that by the time Health & Safety has their say.

readytotaxi wrote:
What a total waste of money, given Londons climate they will probably only use it 3 months a year.

I believe technology exists that enables water in pools to be heated.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

BlueberryWheats

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:08 am

scbriml wrote:

I remember that episode of Tomorrow's World.

Channex757

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:32 am

That should quickly turn into a huge vat of pigeon shit soup.

Aesma

Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:32 pm

scbriml wrote:
Except it won't look anything like that by the time Health & Safety has their say.

Yeah there is no way this is safe.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

aviationaware

Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:48 pm

scbriml wrote:

Utter witchcraft! Blasphemy!

readytotaxi
Topic Author

Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:52 pm

scbriml wrote:

readytotaxi wrote:
What a total waste of money, given Londons climate they will probably only use it 3 months a year.

Naughty :lol:

Dutchy

Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:19 pm

Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Dutchy

Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:21 pm

Also being build in London.

Tugger

Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:10 pm

They say they have some kind of hatch and spiral stair thing to get into and out of it. I wanna see how that thing actually works. Be really bad if it got stuck or failed to operate properly. (I am still trying to think how it could work effectively and easily. Would need to be some kind of pressurized entry room?)

And just imagine the moronically dangerous selfies that would be taken there....

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

LittleFokker

Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:29 pm

Tugger wrote:
They say they have some kind of hatch and spiral stair thing to get into and out of it. I wanna see how that thing actually works. Be really bad if it got stuck or failed to operate properly. (I am still trying to think how it could work effectively and easily. Would need to be some kind of pressurized entry room?)

And just imagine the moronically dangerous selfies that would be taken there....

Tugg

Yeah when I read "elevating spiral staircase," I was hoping there would be a tube around it free from the water, but the illustrations do not indicate such a thing. How would a staircase punch up from below without losing water? Would you have to hold your breath as the staircase penetrated the water? What happens if the staircase fails midway through transporting you through the water and you're stuck underwater? I would need a helluva lot more details on this pool delivery system before even dreaming of giving it a shot.

Also, don't most infinity pools have a spill tray around the perimeter to catch and reuse the water? Again, the drawings do not indicate such a spill tray.
"All human activities are doomed to failure." - Jean Paul Sartre

readytotaxi
Topic Author

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:18 pm

Tugger wrote:

Tugg

Getting out of the pool, guess you have to hold your breathe, dive down into a chamber, close the lid and pump the water out. Hmmmm.

jetwet1

Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:22 pm

Tugger wrote:

Tugg

Using the waste heat from the AC systems is nothing new, though at that height and with those winds the loses may be hard to keep up with.

The whole spiral staircase just screams of reading in the Mail how the stair case failed and swimmers were stuck fearing for their lives.

Max Q

Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:29 am

Er, no thanks
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Classa64

Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:07 pm

That's a lot of weight up high, what happens when the building starts to sway a bit ... slosh...slosh...slosh
"Freedom is the miles i'm rolling on"

blueflyer

Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:50 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
Also, don't most infinity pools have a spill tray around the perimeter to catch and reuse the water? Again, the drawings do not indicate such a spill tray.

That is way too simple and obvious a solution. Instead, the volume of water in the tank will vary based on wind speed to prevent waves going overboard and showering pedestrians down below...

jetwet1 wrote:
The whole spiral staircase just screams of reading in the Mail how the stair case failed and swimmers were stuck fearing for their lives.

Think of the poor swimmers being pulled out of their heated pool by a harness dangling from a helicopter in a London November evening...
Inadequate healthcare killing more than illegal immigrants, that's a national emergency
Opioid crisis killing more than illegal immigrants, that's a national emergency
Would-be king who can't figure this out, that's a national emergency

SheikhDjibouti

Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:47 am

LittleFokker wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Yeah when I read "elevating spiral staircase," I was hoping there would be a tube around it free from the water, but the illustrations do not indicate such a thing.
That is exactly the solution I had designed in my head; a spiral staircase within a rising/falling cylinder. And no need for a pressurised entry room (aka "air-lock")
What illustration have you seen that makes this idea impossible?

As it would take a thousand words to accurately describe my design from scratch, here is a photo of a Paternoster elevator that gives a hint
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paternoster

As you can guess from the image, this design of elevator has no doors, with the passengers entering and exiting the constantly moving compartments as each compartment approaches a floor level.
Note that passengers cannot exit the elevator when they are between floors. Likewise, if you imagine the elevator compartment was full of water, the water would be retained within the compartment until the elevator reached an appropriate opening. :yes:

The infinity pool design will feature a spiral staircase within a 17 ft tall vertical cylinder that is only required to service two levels. The entire cylinder will rise and fall, but it will not be in constant motion. It will simply switch (on demand) between two positions, technically known as "Up" and "Down" :lol:
In the Down position, the uppermost part of the cylinder is level with the bottom of the pool, where it is sealed with water-tight gaskets allowing neither water nor swimmers to leave the pool.
On demand, the entire staircase & cylinder will rise up, breaking the seal and hence temporarily flooding with water from the pool.
Eventually the rising cylinder extends beyond the surface of the pool, and additional water will no longer be able to enter the cylinder. At this point the limited quantity of water already within the cylinder will be drained (by gravity) into a wet room below, and thence to a holding tank at an even lower level.
Swimmers may now climb into the now empty cylinder, and walk down the spiral staircase, exiting the cylinder at the bottom through the same aperture that drained the water away. (into the "wet room").

The aperture at the bottom is now closed, and the cylinder withdraws into the down position, flooding with pool water as soon as the upper rim of the cylinder drops below the water level in the pool.. This water can be retained within the cylinder ready for the next up-cycle.
Note that when the cylinder is in the Down position, the lowest part it projects two floors below the pool.

Finally, a pump recycles the pool water that was drained into the holding tank, routing it via the normal filtration circuit, back into the pool above.

Safety features would include a counter-balance that raises the cylinder automatically in the event of a power outage.
And an external escape ladder that remains low down out of sight until required, springing into position by virtue of another nifty counter-balance.

It's hardly a surprise to see the spill tray not featured on the drawing, but be sure there will be one surrounding the pool. Any droplets that manage to evade the spill tray will fall 55 stories onto the streets below dropping "as the gentle rain from heaven" (Portia, The Merchant of Venice, © Bill Shakespeare)

How would a staircase punch up from below without losing water?
You would "lose" a finite amount of water each time the staircase operated, but only on a temporary basis.
Would you have to hold your breath as the staircase penetrated the water?
:crazy:
What happens if the staircase fails midway through transporting you through the water and you're stuck underwater?
The staircase-cylinder is either in the correct position, offering a secure access route. Or it has somehow failed in a position that leaves it inaccessible. You could never be trapped.

Anyways - this is just my amateur solution to show that the problems can be overcome.

But it will never happen..... :shakehead:
Nothing to see here; move along please.

KentB27

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:23 am

I don't really see how relying on a spiral staircase that rises into the pool as the only way to get in and out is a good idea. It can and will fail at some point. This idea will never work unless there are some kind of permanent steps or ladders to get into the pool.

Dutchy

Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:42 am

The whole mechanism to enter the pool is bullocks, it is a nice gimmick from an architectural point of view, a flat water surface, but if you make a small "island" to enter and exit the pool, you've got almost the same effect, but it will be 200.000pound less expensive, it works always and will be far less complicated to maintain. Unnecessary complicated.

dobilan

Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:59 pm

I'm sure the designers and owners of these things will find a way to greenwash they as super-eco-planet-friendly. Isn't it the same place where "extinction rebellions" do occur? I see them as a waste of resources in the first place.

CPH-R

Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:17 pm

I wonder if it'll reach the level of farce that the much vaunted Sky Garden at the Walkie Talkie reached, where the public garden with fully grown trees etc. shown on the planning permit, became a rockery with a few plants here and there, with public access limited to a 1½ hour window per day only available by booking 3 days in advance. Or the skyscraper in Elephant & Castle, Strate SE1, where, while built with with the wind turbines on the top that were promised in the planning application, said wind turbines were never actually switched on...

DocLightning

Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:30 pm

While I think this may all be technically possible, I suspect that emergency evacuation in the event of fire may be the show-stopper.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Aesma

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:48 pm

SheikhDjibouti : they say there is a door like a submarine, so my idea would be a variation of yours, except without the flooding. The cylinder rises out of the water, then the door on the top opens, and you climb in the cylinder where the staircase is. The outside of the cylinder would have steps or a ladder to climb to its opening.

I also agree with Dutchy that if they actually build the pool, they will use an "island" to access it.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

ChrisKen

Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:51 pm

scbriml wrote:
Except it won't look anything like that by the time Health & Safety has their say

Won't look like that anyway, fairly sure London highrises now have to provide some sort of green roof/gardens.

Tugger

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:06 pm

Thinking about this and reading the posts above I think this can only be an "island entry" process. And they mention a spiral staircase so there wouldn't also be an elevator element, it'd be one or the other for cost considerations alone, and it wouldn't be a mechanized system due to safety concerns. It has to be a static "always available" element. So I am thinking it would have to be an island with the staircase in the center and then steps into and out of the pool itself on the island edge.

Not that I think this will come to reality as pictured for the many other reasons mentioned here. Just a fun thought exercise.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Aesma

Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:18 pm

If you look at the picture closely at the bottom right of the pool there is a circle where the hatch would be.

An767

Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:22 am

DocLightning wrote:
While I think this may all be technically possible, I suspect that emergency evacuation in the event of fire may be the show-stopper.

Actually, they could let the water from the pool be accessible by the fire pumps in the building. Drain it put the fire out, and the people in the pool will be high and dry waiting for a chopper to come save them.

Sarcasm intended , the pool is a stupid idea in the first place

AN767
If its got wings put me on it. If it floats on water take it away

Max Q

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:28 am

An767 wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

Actually, they could let the water from the pool be accessible by the fire pumps in the building. Drain it put the fire out, and the people in the pool will be high and dry waiting for a chopper to come save them.

Sarcasm intended , the pool is a stupid idea in the first place

AN767

Sounds like Steve Mcqueen’s move in
‘Towering inferno’

A ‘70’s Classic and worth checking out
AN7

Best wishes
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.