Bostrom
Topic Author

Youtuber sentenced to prison for prank on homeless man.

Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:29 am

A Spanish youtuber who tricked a homeless man into eating bisquits filled with tooth paste has been sentenced to 15 months in prison. In addition he has also been banned from having any social media account for five years and ordered to pay €20,000 to his victim.

YouTube star who humiliated homeless man given prison term. (The Guardian)

c933103

Re: Youtuber sentenced to prison for prank on homeless man.

Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:59 pm

So what about youtubers that make fake claims on threat and send police into others' home.
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.

einsteinboricua

Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:23 pm

c933103 wrote:
So what about youtubers that make fake claims on threat and send police into others' home.

Or YouTubers who knowingly spew out false information in order to incite violence?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

mad99

Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:54 pm

If he’s a first time offender and the sentence is less than 2 years he´ll do no time behind bars.

A little harsh I think

Dieuwer

Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:19 pm

Bostrom wrote:
A Spanish youtuber who tricked a homeless man into eating bisquits filled with tooth paste has been sentenced to 15 months in prison. In addition he has also been banned from having any social media account for five years and ordered to pay €20,000 to his victim.

YouTube star who humiliated homeless man given prison term. (The Guardian)

The judge, Rosa Aragonés, noted it was not an isolated event and the social media star had a propensity for “cruel behaviour” and preying on “easy or vulnerable victims”. She found him guilty of violating the man’s moral integrity.

Really??
If violating someone's "moral integrity" is the defining reason to lock someone up, then everyone in Spain or the US for that matter must be locked up. We can start with every politician on Capitol Hill...
It would have been a different story if this was ruled "attempted murder" or "attempted bodily harm", or something of that nature. But "moral integrity" is such an extremely broad expression....can really mean anything.

Tugger

Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:27 pm

Dieuwer wrote:
Really??
If violating someone's "moral integrity" is the defining reason to lock someone up, then everyone in Spain or the US for that matter must be locked up. We can start with every politician on Capitol Hill...
It would have been a different story if this was ruled "attempted murder" or "attempted bodily harm", or something of that nature. But "moral integrity" is such an extremely broad expression....can really mean anything.

Shut up you jerk...

Uhhh oops, my profound apologies if I violated your moral integrity! (I mean I'd better apologize, look what could happen!)

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Aesma

Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:34 pm

Article 1 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, first sentence :

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.

I hope the guy gets his sentence commuted to lots of community service, that's what he really needs.

I find this case interesting, I'm sure it could go to court in France, but I can't really find what the incrimination would be.

As an aside, you can go to jail for victimless crimes, for example in the US prostitution related offenses;
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams