readytotaxi
Topic Author

Big trouble in the Gulf of Oman

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:46 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-48619771

Two oil tankers on fire, sabotage suspected. The start of an "interesting summer".
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

N14AZ

Re: Big trouble in the Gulf of Oman

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:04 am

Yeah, I saw this as well. I will be offline for the next two hours (flying to France in a minute) but I am very curious about the headlines when I go online again.

This might be the start of something big...

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:21 pm

Why are people so gung ho about going to war? God damn it!
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

TSS

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:28 pm

These were attacked in almost the same spot as the four last month, correct? My guess is that last month's relatively minor apparent ramming attack was a warning to show tankers just how vulnerable they are, and this attack is a much clearer warning. It'll be interesting to see who, if anyone, takes credit for this.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

NoTime

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:43 pm

TSS wrote:
These were attacked in almost the same spot as the four last month, correct? My guess is that last month's relatively minor apparent ramming attack was a warning to show tankers just how vulnerable they are, and this attack is a much clearer warning. It'll be interesting to see who, if anyone, takes credit for this.

I'm pretty sure last month's attack was determined to be an underwater mine or other explosive device..? As for someone taking credit... I don't think anyone will come forward, but I'm guessing everyone has a pretty good idea about who is behind it.

Aesma

Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:15 pm

We know who will be blamed. Who has done it is another story entirely.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

TSS

Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:42 pm

NoTime wrote:
TSS wrote:

I'm pretty sure last month's attack was determined to be an underwater mine or other explosive device..?

Some argued that point then, and I disagreed based on the appearance of the damage- https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1422493&p=21355061&hilit=explosion#p21355061

NoTime wrote:
As for someone taking credit... I don't think anyone will come forward, but I'm guessing everyone has a pretty good idea about who is behind it.

Either them, or another country that wanted to keep them isolated.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

johns624

Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:51 pm

Yet, the market started up today since oil prices have risen...go figure...

scbriml

Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:44 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

#MAGA

Aesma wrote:

:checkmark:
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

mham001

Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:23 pm

scbriml wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Just imagine if we'd elected that war monger Hillary.

Aesma wrote:

If they didn't threaten to shut down oil shipping on a regular basis - for decades, they probably wouldn't have that problem, would they?

But you are correct, it could be any number of players with the recent news that oil is heading towards $40/barrel even as OPEC continues to lose market share to US producers. Plenty of oil despots are hurting right now. I expect we will see some interesting geopolitical benefits because of the rise of US oil production. American technology for the win.

LMP737

Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:09 pm

mham001 wrote:

Just imagine if we'd elected that war monger Hillary..

The Iran deal would still be in place and we would not have this manufactured crisis to begin with.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

LMP737

Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:10 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Because either they won't have to fight in it or know somebody who will.

casinterest

Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:34 pm

Mike Pompeo has announced that Iran is responsible. Should be interesting to see what the evidence is, and then what the response will be.
Where ever you go, there you are.

1989worstyear

Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:38 pm

casinterest wrote:
Mike Pompeo has announced that Iran is responsible. Should be interesting to see what the evidence is, and then what the response will be.

Here we go again....

Time to buy an electric car.
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

scbriml

Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:40 pm

casinterest wrote:
Mike Pompeo has announced that Iran is responsible.

I'm shocked, I tell you. Shocked. :o
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

trpmb6

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:12 pm

This isn't just a US-Iran issue. This is a world issue. These weren't even ships linked to the US. One hails from Panama with Japanese owners and another hails from the Marshall islands but has Norwegian ownership. Already affecting the price of crude. It's an environmental issue now too.

Spar

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:15 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
This isn't just a US-Iran issue. This is a world issue. These weren't even ships linked to the US. One hails from Panama with Japanese owners and another hails from the Marshall islands but has Norwegian ownership. Already affecting the price of crude. It's an environmental issue now too.
A galactic issue for sure.

Who would have thought of naming a tanker "Turner Joy"?

casinterest

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:26 pm

Apparently the suspected device is a limpet mine ( Mine with magnets) that get attached to the hull.

Will be interesting to see if any evidence surfaces on how Iran is reponsible for their attachment to the hull of ships.
Seems any state actor could do this if they wanted.

trpmb6

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:32 pm

casinterest wrote:
Apparently the suspected device is a limpet mine ( Mine with magnets) that get attached to the hull.

Will be interesting to see if any evidence surfaces on how Iran is reponsible for their attachment to the hull of ships.

Reports saying there was an unexploded mine on one of the tankers. Might be they are looking at the device and the parts its made from etc.

Certainly any state actor could do this, any state actor could fabricate and/or attempt to make another state look bad by doing this. But no matter the case, the fact that someone is placing mines in the gulf of oman and/or straight of hormuz should be very troubling.

Magog

Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:33 pm

It seems to me that if the United States was trying to start a false flag war they would have made sure that a United States affiliated ship was bombed.

Kiwirob

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:22 pm

Aesma wrote:

Shades of dodgy things past, Gulf of Tonkin any one??

Magog wrote:
It seems to me that if the United States was trying to start a false flag war they would have made sure that a United States affiliated ship was bombed.

That would be far too obvious, even the war crazy US public would see right through that rouse.

LMP737

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:06 pm

Magog wrote:

Never been a big fan of idea of false flag operations. Conspiracy theorists love to latch onto them, 9-11 conspiracy goofballs are a big fan of them. Has it happened in the past, yes. However it inevitably comes to light.

In this case who know's. Maybe it is the Iranians. Sanctioned by the government or perhaps some rouge actors within the Revolutionary Guard. If either is the case this just shows that when a country is backed into a corner they just might lash out.

casinterest

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:13 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Reports saying there was an unexploded mine on one of the tankers. Might be they are looking at the device and the parts its made from etc.

Certainly any state actor could do this, any state actor could fabricate and/or attempt to make another state look bad by doing this. But no matter the case, the fact that someone is placing mines in the gulf of oman and/or straight of hormuz should be very troubling.

It is definitely troubling, but i am not so sure it is Iran. It seems like the wrong move for them as it won't help them to make oil more expensive as they are under sanctions .
There are other actors out there that want very badly for Iran to suffer though....

johns624

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:27 pm

trpmb6 wrote:

Japan has a decent sized navy. In fact, they are in the top 5 in the world. Are they sending a task force to the Straits?

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:54 pm

Magog wrote:

No. That will make it far too obvious.

Spar

Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:46 pm

LMP737 wrote:
However it inevitably comes to light.

How do you know that? And even if they are found out later, in most cases the perpetrator has already gotten what he or she wants and may not give a hoot if they come to light in later decades.

BTW
There have been a lot of known false flag operations.
https://www.globalresearch.ca/the-ever- ... ks/5578473

mham001

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:10 am

LMP737 wrote:
mham001 wrote:

Just imagine if we'd elected that war monger Hillary..

The Iran deal would still be in place and we would not have this manufactured crisis to begin with.

Like that one in Libya?

Until bullets start flying with Trump's name on them in a war he actively pursued, the only proven war monger in the last election was a woman named Clinton. Don't be a partisan hypocrite.

TheFlyingDisk

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:17 am

mham001 wrote:
Until bullets start flying with Trump's name on them in a war he actively pursued, the only proven war monger in the last election was a woman named Clinton. Don't be a partisan hypocrite.

The definition of a warmonger - a person who encourages or advocates aggression towards other countries or groups.

And Trump & his lackeys surely have done so many times in the past few years.

mham001

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:23 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
mham001 wrote:

The definition of a warmonger - a person who encourages or advocates aggression towards other countries or groups.

And Trump's lackeys surely have done so many times in the past few years.

Trump haters seem to be having a hard time fathoming that Hillary has tens of thousands of deaths through a completely unprovoked military blunder with her name all over it. Trump? Zero. That has to really hurt people with their preconceived notions.

Back on topic, NYT reports the US Navy has video of the Iranians stealing in broad daylight the unexploded mine everybody saw. I would not thought them that stupid.

johns624

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:27 am

Why is it that the Trump supporters who claim that we shouldn't be the world's policeman anymore are the first to call for our action when anything in the world happens?

mham001

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:32 am

johns624 wrote:
Why is it that the Trump supporters who claim that we shouldn't be the world's policeman anymore are the first to call for our action when anything in the world happens?

I haven't seen that here. Who exactly are you referring to? Most rational people are going to wait to see the evidence before saying much of anything.

Saudi Arabia has been cutting shipments to the US in recent months, a record low percentage of our oil now comes from the region and makes them less interesting for me. Our only interest there is keeping world prices low, an oil war in not in Trump's best interest and certainly against his long stated wishes, he want low prices for a stronger US economy so he can win reelection.
Last edited by mham001 on Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spar

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:36 am

mham001 wrote:
Trump haters seem to be having a hard time fathoming that Hillary has tens of thousands of deaths through a completely unprovoked military blunder with her name all over it. Trump?
If you're talking about Lybia, you're being deceitful, Libya was an action called for by the Europeans. An American Sec of State would have had little choice but to support them.

On the other hand, Hillary would be, and is, just as much of a trick for Netanyahu as Trump is. She is likely to have been pushing for war on Iran if that's what Netanyahu wanted. I would like to think that she would have held back at an actual invasion, but then Trump has so far held back on that also. So in my mind, as far as the ME goes, it's a wash.

mham001

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:43 am

Spar wrote:
mham001 wrote:
Trump haters seem to be having a hard time fathoming that Hillary has tens of thousands of deaths through a completely unprovoked military blunder with her name all over it. Trump?
If you're talking about Lybia, you're being deceitful, Libya was an action called for by the Europeans. An American Sec of State would have had little choice but to support them.

Nonsense revisionist history. Her, Susan Rice and Samantha Powers pushed the Obama administration into it. Actively pushed. There is ample evidence and it isn't going to disappear to soothe the trump haters. Without US help, there probably would not have been any Libya action, certainly not to the degree it went, because the Europeans, actually the French and Brits, didn't have enough ammunition to do it themselves.

Kind of funny, I often see European US-bashers claiming the US was the main perpetrator. You all need to get your stories straight.

Spar

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:09 am

mham001 wrote:
Spar wrote:
mham001 wrote:

Nonsense revisionist history. Her, Susan Rice and Samantha Powers pushed the Obama administration into it. Actively pushed. There is ample evidence and it isn't going to disappear to soothe the trump haters. Without US help, there probably would not have been any Libya action, certainly not to the degree it went, because the Europeans, actually the French and Brits, didn't have enough ammunition to do it themselves.

Kind of funny, I often see European US-bashers claiming the US was the main perpetrator. You all need to get your stories straight.

This whole pitch by the pubbies is so utterly dishonest. Claim anything you want but it was still an European initiated action. Any Sec of state would have "sold" it to anyone else in the administration, they would have had to.

Then there is the plainly obvious fact the this is just Monday morning quarterbacking at its worst. With the exception of the libertarian faction, no republican has seen a war they didn't love for the last 70 years. There was little opposition. And it is understandable that there was almost no opposition, a great many people were appalled that Quadaffi had gotten away scot free over the Pan Am 103 bombing. There was enormous pent up anger still in effect over that single issue.

Do you claim that you personally were opposed at the time?

mham001

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:30 am

Spar wrote:

Absolutely so and I laid out in detail in this forum exactly how we were being snowballed at the time. No, the US Secretary of State is NOT at the beck and call of Cameron and Sarkozy and have no obligation to become the third player (and backbone) of a military action the most of Europe did not support. Don't be preposterous.
The people involved in the original Benghazi uprising were Islamic fundamentalists Qaddafi had been successfully suppressing for thirty years. A little internet research proved it. Exact same people but Clinton, Powers, Rice sold it as a mass uprising, upending the most progressive, liberal country in North Africa, and possibly all of Arabia.

Hillary Clinton has the blood of hundreds of thousands of people on her hands, don't try to whitewash it.

A couple of years ago, the real reason came out - French corruption. Very interesting read, this... https://theintercept.com/2018/04/28/sar ... a-bombing/

"Former Defense Secretary Robert Gates wrote in his autobiography that “Hillary threw her considerable clout behind Rice, Rhodes, and Power” and tipped the scale in favor of intervention. Clinton, national security adviser Susan Rice, White House adviser Ben Rhodes, and U.N. Ambassador Samantha Power were instrumental in pushing the war forward; regime change was the goal regardless of Sarkozy’s personal relationship with the dictator."

Please don't try to revise history.
Last edited by mham001 on Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

LMP737

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:48 am

mham001 wrote:

Like that one in Libya?

Don't call anyone a partisan hypocrite when you make a statement based entirely on your own partisan beliefs.

mham001

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:50 am

LMP737 wrote:
mham001 wrote:

Like that one in Libya?

Don't call anyone a partisan hypocrite when you make a statement based entirely on your own partisan beliefs.

Another revisionist. Truth hurts sometimes.

LMP737

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:51 am

Spar wrote:
How do you know that? And even if they are found out later, in most cases the perpetrator has already gotten what he or she wants and may not give a hoot if they come to light in later decades.

BTW

Come back with a reputable website then we'll talk.

Spar

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:02 am

mham001 wrote:
Absolutely so and I laid out in detail in this forum exactly how we were being snowballed at the time.
Link? I know you would have been strongly opposed to anything done by Obama's administration, but let's see if you were actually posting knowledgably about this, as you seem to claim you were.
mham001 wrote:
No, the US Secretary of State is NOT at the beck and call of Cameron and Sarkozy and have no obligation to become the third player (and backbone) of a military action the most of Europe did not support. Don't be preposterous.
Your fake outrage is amusing, but your lack of understanding of the diplomatic relationship between Europe and the US no surprise.
mham001 wrote:
The people involved in the original Benghazi uprising were Islamic fundamentalists Qaddafi had been successfully suppressing for thirty years. A little internet research proved it.
You're one of the posters here who can't tell the difference between Shiite and Sunni most of the time; I find it impossible to believe that you were prescient in your analysis of the goings on in an Islamic county in 2011, years before ISIS burst into the mainstream news. And Qudaffi had been suppressing more than the Islamic fundamentalists, he was running a pretty draconian regime.
mham001 wrote:
Exact same people but Clinton, Powers, Rice sold it as a mass uprising, upending the most progressive, liberal country in North Africa, and possibly all of Arabia.
Libya under Qudaffi a "progressive, liberal country"! LOL

Spar

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:07 am

LMP737 wrote:
Spar wrote:

BTW

Come back with a reputable website then we'll talk.
What a cowardly retort! Which one of the sixty or so cases that are described do you question? We can research any of them you doubt you know.

And why would you even question something that is so obvious? I didn't see anything that was controversial in any of those examples.

THS214

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:01 am

Spar wrote:
mham001 wrote:
Spar wrote:

This whole pitch by the pubbies is so utterly dishonest. Claim anything you want but it was still an European initiated action. Any Sec of state would have "sold" it to anyone else in the administration, they would have had to.

Then there is the plainly obvious fact the this is just Monday morning quarterbacking at its worst. With the exception of the libertarian faction, no republican has seen a war they didn't love for the last 70 years. There was little opposition. And it is understandable that there was almost no opposition, a great many people were appalled that Quadaffi had gotten away scot free over the Pan Am 103 bombing. There was enormous pent up anger still in effect over that single issue.

PanAm 103 was a result of IR 655. It doesn't make it right but understandable.

Now... Weapons of mass destruction. When you lose trust it take long time to get it back.

THS214

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:14 am

Magog wrote:

I believe that US military would be a lot smarter that that.

mham001

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:17 am

THS214 wrote:

Now... Weapons of mass destruction. When you lose trust it take long time to get it back.

That was another thing related to Iran at the time. Qaddafi gave up his nuclear ambitions. With open arms, we hauled it all away. In 2011, we were trying get Iran to do the same, so what did we do? We killed the one man who did.

Spar

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:53 am

mham001 wrote:
THS214 wrote:

That was another thing related to Iran at the time. Qaddafi gave up his nuclear ambitions. With open arms, we hauled it all away. In 2011, we were trying get Iran to do the same, so what did we do? We killed the one man who did.

Your love affair with Qaddafi reminds me of Trump's love affair with Kim. It is astounding how much good will you have towards Qaddafi, the devoted fan of Abdel Nasser, in contrast to seething hatred you have for the born, raised and educated in America woman Hillary Clinton.

Just astounding.

Aesma

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:52 am

mham001 wrote:
Trump haters seem to be having a hard time fathoming that Hillary has tens of thousands of deaths through a completely unprovoked military blunder with her name all over it. Trump? Zero. That has to really hurt people with their preconceived notions.

Back on topic, NYT reports the US Navy has video of the Iranians stealing in broad daylight the unexploded mine everybody saw. I would not thought them that stupid.

Are you talking about Libya ? Tanks were rolling towards Benghazi before any western intervention.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

N14AZ

Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:36 am

Anyone able and willing to comment on the video presented by the US Navy earlier this morning?

I was wondering: if they were able to film that boat, classified as an IIRG Gashti class patrol boat, why were they not able to follow that boat and to see where it went to? This would ultimately destroy any potential doubts about its origin.

Was it filmed from a drone?

Is it possible that the tanker crew did not see the IIRG boat?

mad99

Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:09 am

The video shows very little of the ship so you can´t tell if its one that was attacked.

I thought mines were underwater? The damage is a fair bit above the water line.

Probably the DVD

Magog

Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:18 am

THS214 wrote:
Magog wrote:

I believe that US military would be a lot smarter that that.

Why? It would absolutely be the best way to justify a military response.

There have been multiple incidents and no military response. If anything this shows that Trump is exercising restraint.

trpmb6

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:31 pm

mad99 wrote:
The video shows very little of the ship so you can´t tell if its one that was attacked.

I thought mines were underwater? The damage is a fair bit above the water line.

Probably the DVD

It's difficult to tell from the pictures I've seen but one picture of the stern shows the ship slightly listed to one side. Likely after taking on water or possible bilge pump issues.

Derico

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:38 pm

Everyone is supposed to believe a word coming from this US government? The Americans are so being played by shady actors it is truly mind blowing.
My internet was not shut down, the internet has shut me down