atomicstar
Topic Author

Lawn mowers: Gas vs. electric

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:16 pm

Which is better, gas or electric?

For gas, you can use it for big tasks (as the limitation is how much gas you have with you), which is probably good for running a small lawn mowing business. No cords or needing to wait for batter to charge. But it’s noisy, gas can be expensive, it’s heavier, and not good for the environment.

For electric, it’s lighter, and doesn’t need oil or other engine maintenance. But dealing with the cord can be annoying, or having to wait for batteries to recharge.

Which lawn mower power is better in your opinion?

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Lawn mowers: Gas vs. electric

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:22 pm

Li batteries are pretty good and eliminates the cord. Most will do about 10,000 square feet and about 45-50 minutes of run time. Green works, Stihl are two good ones.

Next mower for me will be battery Stihl. Recharge time is about 45 minutes and have two batteries

casinterest

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:28 pm

Here is an interesting rundown

https://www.thespruce.com/battery-vs-ga ... rs-4580382

This one from the article would come closest to meeting my needs, but still costs 250 dollars more than the Gas one I chose.
Where ever you go, there you are.

LMP737

Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:05 pm

Bought an electric mower six years ago for $50 at Home Depot. It was a floor model during a fall clearance sale. Works just fine, probably could use a blade sharpening.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:12 pm

casinterest wrote:

This one from the article would come closest to meeting my needs, but still costs 250 dollars more than the Gas one I chose.

Another climate change warrior whose real stripes are revealed when money is involved

mham001

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:00 am

atomicstar wrote:

For gas, you can use it for big tasks (as the limitation is how much gas you have with you), which is probably good for running a small lawn mowing business. No cords or needing to wait for batter to charge. But it’s noisy, gas can be expensive, it’s heavier, and not good for the environment.

For electric, it’s lighter, and doesn’t need oil or other engine maintenance. But dealing with the cord can be annoying, or having to wait for batteries to recharge.

Which lawn mower power is better in your opinion?

It depends of course. How much do you need to mow?

I don't have a lawn mower anymore but I still have an expensive Stihl four stroke line trimmer. A garage wall queen, it needs repair again, $100 minimum. I won't do it so I bought an expensive Dewalt battery trimmer. It wasn't up to the task I asked, tall grass on acreage. I returned it and ended up with a $50 corded trimmer that is slow but steady. If you can stay within 150 feet of a plug, it does just fine.

DIRECTFLT

Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:31 am

Gas... No fooling with a long power cord, that can get wrapped around water sprinkler heads, or that gas light pole!!!

Another query would be grass catcher, mulcher, or neither?
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

Aesma

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:39 am

That question is from 10 years ago.

Today it's rather lawn mower or robot ?

Where I work there are vast expanses of grass around the campus, and a dozen large robot mowers.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

TTailedTiger

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:54 am

I'm surprised none of the companies have thought of a large battery pack that you can strap your back or hip with a short cable running to the mower. This would provide for long run times ideal for landscaping services.

Bostrom

Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:52 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
I'm surprised none of the companies have thought of a large battery pack that you can strap your back or hip with a short cable running to the mower. This would provide for long run times ideal for landscaping services.

Husqvarna has a range of electric gardening equipment, including a battery back pack. But for a mower, I guess it is easier to keep the battery in the mower. https://www.husqvarna.com/uk/products/battery-series/

casinterest

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:19 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Another climate change warrior whose real stripes are revealed when money is involved

So you ignored my statement of come closest, and then make a cowardly statement with no intelligence? You in the running for Trump's new Press Secretary?

dtw2hyd

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:34 pm

My neighbor tried battery operated lawn mower and snow blower. He says battery operated lawn mower is pretty much useless, returned and bought a gas one.

I do understand that small engines pollute the environment more than automobiles and one should avoid those. But we use lawn mower 60 minutes once a week (or) two. Is it a true comparison?

trpmb6

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:45 pm

My yard is too large, otherwise I'd probably go the electric (li battery) route.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:58 pm

casinterest wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
casinterest wrote:

So you ignored my statement of come closest, and then make a cowardly statement with no intelligence? You in the running for Trump's new Press Secretary?

No, not interested in the job. You’re the one saying the environment and climate change is priceless, but to you it’s not $250.

casinterest

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:06 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
casinterest wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

No, not interested in the job. You’re the one saying the environment and climate change is priceless, but to you it’s not $250.

Where did I say it is priceless? I just said that Climate change is occurring. Maybe through the fog of mush between your hands and eyes you should do a bit more processing.

fr8mech

Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:24 pm

You know, mowers just aren't made like they used to be. My first mower was a Craftsman self-propelled that I bought almost 30 years ago. It lasted 12 years, and really could have lasted longer, but I neglected it for the last few years. Now, I'm on my 3rd mower (Lawn Boy, Husqvarna & Troybilt) in 18 years, and the deck is rusting out. Point being, I'll be buying a new mower soon.

I mow about 1/2 acre, once a week. I use a self-propelled and it takes me about 2 hours, give or take a quarter. My next mower will be an battery powered mower with a spare battery. Not because of the pollution and not because of gas cost, it's because I want to mow more quietly. I'm tired of 2 hours of small engine noise. I want to pop in my ear buds and listen to music or a podcast without having to wear ear muffs. They get beastly hot & uncomfortable in the summer.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Aesma

Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:55 pm

My parents use a self propelled gas mower in their vacation house garden, mostly because of its power. The lawn is often tall when they get there, and an electric mower just didn't have the power to cut that tall grass.

The idea with a robot is that it cuts all the time, so no need for power, minimal noise, lawn always nice looking.

For my parents, the problem is that it would probably get stolen.

Their mower also makes you do some exercise as for some reason it goes at full speed all the time so you're almost jogging in tow.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:59 pm

casinterest wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Where did I say it is priceless? I just said that Climate change is occurring. Maybe through the fog of mush between your hands and eyes you should do a bit more processing.

So, not priceless, but you won’t spend $250 to replace the most polluting device in the garage?

GF

casinterest

Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:06 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
casinterest wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

So, not priceless, but you won’t spend $250 to replace the most polluting device in the garage?

GF

That wasn't my point. I stated that it Almost met my needs. I made no mention of yard size/slope/ other considerations, and how is 250 dollars going to make a difference when I only have to put 5 dollars of gas in the thing per year? "Most polluiting is BS when it is used for about 1-2 hours 20 times a year.

if you wanted a real discussion you could have remarked about the fact that electric mowers are becoming more commonplace as people are able to mow larger yards with them.
I saw a video on youtube where someone was able to mow a considerable portion of a full size soccer field on one charge of a 60V 21 inch mower deck. At that point a lot of these mowers are going to replace combustion engines, and then the price will fall further for battery driven mowers.

Not everything has to be immediate gratification.

Dieuwer

Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:24 pm

NEITHER.
Push the damn mower yourself :D Good for the environment and good as a workout.

SheikhDjibouti

Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:28 pm

atomicstar wrote:

Here's a question; are you talking US spec or European spec?
What's the difference?
I bought a ride-on lawn tractor; my third actually, but it kept clogging up with wet grass. In fact, anything other than bone dry and it struggled. The dealer explained that the problem stemmed from it being a US spec mower, only expected to deal with light fluffy grass trimmings from a lawn that hardly grew at all due to it being baked under a hot sun.

And it wasn't even a lack of power, although 12½ hp is considered a tad mean these days (I remember when 8hp was enough...)
It was all down to the arrangement of the cutting deck, and the (small) diameter of the exhaust tube to the grass collector. I even tried it helping that by just venting the clippings to air, with the collector removed. Still spent more time unblocking it than riding around.

Then I got serious and splashed out on a Kubota diesel hooked up to a 48" cutter. :bigthumbsup:

I guess that's just the price you pay for living in a damp environment.

p.s. in case you haven't guessed; for my size of "yard", electric would only be viable if it was built by Tesla.

But for those with regular yards, and regular 'murrican grass, electric is the way to go.
Nothing to see here; move along please.

WildcatYXU

Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:50 am

Gas until battery powered lawn mowers with some serious power won't be available. What you can get from 120V powered units just won't cut it (pun intended)
310, 319, 320, 321,321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

dtw2hyd

Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:37 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
The dealer explained that the problem stemmed from it being a US spec mower, only expected to deal with light fluffy grass trimmings from a lawn that hardly grew at all due to it being baked under a hot sun.
But for those with regular yards, and regular 'murrican grass, electric is the way to go.

Not sure which part of America your dealer is referring to, May first weekend was the last dry(without rain) weekend in my neck of the woods. Even in normal years irrigation system watering 20 minutes each zone on even/odd days between 11 PM and 6 AM, some days it is pretty much a swamp between houses. This year we haven't even turned on the sprinkler system.

DaveFly

Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:08 am

I’ve had two battery-operated mowers. My property is 1/3 acre (I don’t know the metric conversion). The older Black & Decker could handle one-half of the job, so I bought an extra battery. Then I bought a new EGO, whose battery lasts for the full job. I use the mulch setting, and it’s self-propelled. I would never return to a gas mower with the fluids and noise and fumes.
L1011,DC8,DC9,DC10,MD80/90
A300,A319,320,321,330,340,
CRJ,E135/45/190,
DH8,Avro85,DHBeaver,AstarHelo,F100,ATR42

Magog

Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:55 am

casinterest wrote:
and how is 250 dollars going to make a difference when I only have to put 5 dollars of gas in the thing per year? "Most polluiting is BS when it is used for about 1-2 hours 20 times a year.

If that’s all you mow you could’ve easily gone electric. Let’s be honest, you got called out on your hypocrisy here. $250 was more important to you than doing your part to curb greenhouse gas emissions.

I’m not faulting you. Just about everyone on this planet has the attitude that you have, albeit without the preaching. This is why am not terribly optimistic that the problem will be solved short of a technological solution.

BestWestern

Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:39 am

I bought a robot mower, and it took a while to set up. It cuts the grass every day and the garden looks fantastic now. It’s silent, and just does it’s thing, allowing me to enjoy the weekend. We have a robot vacuum too. Dust levels are down and the house is cleaner.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

casinterest

Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:26 pm

Magog wrote:
casinterest wrote:
and how is 250 dollars going to make a difference when I only have to put 5 dollars of gas in the thing per year? "Most polluiting is BS when it is used for about 1-2 hours 20 times a year.

If that’s all you mow you could’ve easily gone electric. Let’s be honest, you got called out on your hypocrisy here. $250 was more important to you than doing your part to curb greenhouse gas emissions.

I’m not faulting you. Just about everyone on this planet has the attitude that you have, albeit without the preaching. This is why am not terribly optimistic that the problem will be solved short of a technological solution.

Go quote me the hipocracy? I advocate for cleaner power to be cheaper. I do not sell out myself and my family for it. So go back to your Russian masters again for some more cowardly lies.

trpmb6

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:16 pm

BestWestern wrote:
I bought a robot mower, and it took a while to set up. It cuts the grass every day and the garden looks fantastic now. It’s silent, and just does it’s thing, allowing me to enjoy the weekend. We have a robot vacuum too. Dust levels are down and the house is cleaner.

Just a thought here.. and more of a general forum question than directed at the OP.. but could it possibly be that running a robot mower every day ends up being less "green" than running a conventional gas mower once every 2 weeks?

mham001

Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:25 pm

trpmb6 wrote:
BestWestern wrote:

Just a thought here.. and more of a general forum question than directed at the OP.. but could it possibly be that running a robot mower every day ends up being less "green" than running a conventional gas mower once every 2 weeks?

We are going to need some studies for that. Lots of them, but none of them will include the cost of keeping the oil lines secure.

bhill

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:44 pm

I live in Washington State in the NW US, all..well 99% of our electric is hydro or renewable. But for those folk living in other areas where fossil fuels or other burring of stuff to generate electricity is done, it seems to me, to charge the battery, you are just moving the pollution from your place to somewhere else. Until we are all on renewables, I wonder if the environmental savings are that great. I use a Honda gas mover btw...never missed a beat in 4 years. Now for 2 stroke engines...ick.
Carpe Pices

Alias1024

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:52 pm

What's better depends entirely on your needs.

I have three small lawns and use a battery powered non-propelled mower and it's plenty. The total to mow all three is about 20 minutes, subtracting time moving between them, and I can do it with a single charge of the smaller battery. The larger battery doesn't even go down half way to mow all three. Only once have I had the lawn get long enough that I worried about the motor bogging down, so I took out the string trimmer (also battery powered) and shortened those areas before mowing.

If I had more than about half an acre or a lawn care business I'd want a gas mower for both the power and endurance.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

Classa64

Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:52 am

Gas for me....My lawn is about 23,000 Square feet, I have a 12hp 38' Riding tractor and a 22" FWD Mower. I have slope and a hill across the front.
My sister on the other hand has a 10'x40' backyard and has a battery Mower. Its whatever your needs are.
"Freedom is the miles i'm rolling on"