zrs70
Topic Author

Public proposals: romantic or idiotic

Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:33 pm

What do you all think about public wedding proposals? I believe that these are intimate moments that should be done privately. But many have it in their heads to doing a public announcement in front of either strangers or friends is a really cool thing to do.

What do you all think?
19 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2019

TTailedTiger

Re: Public proposals: romantic or idiotic

Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:58 pm

They are stupid and come off as insincere. There shouldn't be anyone else around during a proposal. It should be just between the couple. And the guy asking for permission from the father is stupid as well. She isn't anyone's property.

johns624

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:07 am

It's stupid. You're putting too much pressure on the other person, and that's never a good thing. Of course, the whole "destination wedding" thing that comes after is stupid, too.

TheFlyingDisk

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:19 am

Dumb.

What if she says no?
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Tugger

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:22 am

I am not a fan of them. Not that my or any of our opinions matter.

I think they are self-aggrandizing and place an undue and unfair pressure on the person being proposed too. I put them right up there with the new fad of promposals etc. People are all about the social attention and doing something bigger or better. Someone does something innovative and unique, that cool enjoy! But then everybody starts jumping on board and it becomes overdone and then becomes expected or something.

My friends daughter accepted some dudes promposal publicaly then immediately afterwards told him, "no" she's not going with him, she did the one to be nice but she'd already said no and was not going to be pressured. I am sure a number of the public proposals end the same way (and some just get angry at the person proposing).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Airstud

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:28 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Dumb.

What if she says no?

It happened at a stadium in the SF Bay Area. (Not sure if it was a Warriors or Sharks game, but anyway... not the dude's finest hour :boggled: )
Pancakes are delicious.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:57 am

New Year’s Eve, many moons ago, the male anchor on our local TV channel proposed to the female anchor just about midnight. She was flummoxed, stammering, the Director cut to a commercial, when they came back another on air personality announced she accepted. Neve4 heard from them again. Dumb idea.

GF

KFLLCFII

Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:57 am

Dangerous.

During the divorce proceeding, the episode could be used against him as having caused her undue mental distress.
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

ilovelamp

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:13 am

Keep something like that private, something that only the two can say they were a part of. But, I’m never one to seek out attention.

ILL

aviationaware

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:40 am

I think it's a sign of insecurity because in public chances someone will say no are way lower and I think this is part of the rationale for those people. I see this on virtually every gay pride event and it's just sad to watch.

tommy1808

Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:30 am

Tugger wrote:
I am not a fan of them. Not that my or any of our opinions matter.

I think they are self-aggrandizing and place an undue and unfair pressure on the person being proposed too.

exactly.

However, i had great fun arranging my best friend to get flowers to the table while we where having a nice dinner, and dropped on my knee..... just because she was beyond scared that a boyfriend would one day do that with her, and not being a couple it threw her a lot further off than a real proposal would.... she almost choked on a bit of Lobster :D

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

DarkSnowyNight

Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:41 am

I don't know what sort of idiot thinks this will end well...

I'm always reminded of dogs chasing cars when I hear about these things. Exactly what's the prize here?

You either end up embarrassed as hell, or with a goddam wife. Which is like pretty much the same thing.
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

Dutchy

Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:12 am

DarkSnowyNight wrote:

I'm always reminded of dogs chasing cars when I hear about these things. Exactly what's the prize here?

You either end up embarrassed as hell, or with a goddam wife. Which is like pretty much the same thing.

Ah, talking like a true romantic.......
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

Magog

Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:22 am

Dumb idea. A proposal should be an intimate moment with your partner and not about putting on a spectacle. They’ve also become a cliche.

DarkSnowyNight

Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:52 pm

Dutchy wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:

Don't I know it!

The time I was married the proposal went something like this...

DSN: "So listen... I don't really get the feeling you can do any better. And for me, you seem like the type of broad to where my family & friends will believe it when I blame not hanging out with them on you, even though I'm just hung over. So, if you want to do this thing, I guess I'm down."

DSN's Floozy: "Oh my god, you're serious, aren't you?"

DSN: "For like the next twenty minutes."

Eh... you get what you shop for, I guess...
"Ya Can't Win, Rocky! There's no Oxygen on Mars!"
"Yeah? That means there's no Oxygen for him Neither..."

Dutchy

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:06 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:

Don't I know it!

The time I was married the proposal went something like this...

DSN: "So listen... I don't really get the feeling you can do any better. And for me, you seem like the type of broad to where my family & friends will believe it when I blame not hanging out with them on you, even though I'm just hung over. So, if you want to do this thing, I guess I'm down."

DSN's Floozy: "Oh my god, you're serious, aren't you?"

DSN: "For like the next twenty minutes."

Eh... you get what you shop for, I guess...

Haha and you got a "yes" from that? I guess you are made for each other :lol:

Perhaps that is the best answer, I hope whom ever does this public thing, makes damn sure that the future fiancee absolutely likes it and says yes. Then whom am I to judge it is wrong?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

TSS

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:41 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
They are stupid and come off as insincere. There shouldn't be anyone else around during a proposal. It should be just between the couple.

Agreed, agreed, and agreed. Plus as numerous others have pointed out, what if she says no?

TTailedTiger wrote:
And the guy asking for permission from the father is stupid as well. She isn't anyone's property.

On the face of it you're correct, but as so many guys choose to ignore prior to their first marriage but are painfully aware of by the time they're ready for their second marriage, you're not just marrying one person, you're marrying that person and their entire neurotic, dysfunctional family. Asking permission first is a good way to gauge how your prospective in-laws, the people with whom you'll be spending a lot of holidays for the foreseeable future and possibly the rest of your life, really feel about you.

Case in point: A friend of mine dated a girl his junior and senior years of college. He had spent numerous weekends at her parent's house and he got on with them very well. When he asked the father's permission to marry her, the father dropped a bombshell on him by telling him that they just considered him a "college fling", a nice guy with whom their daughter could sow her wild oats before getting serious about finding a potential spouse, preferably someone who could support her in the style to which they'd like to see her become accustomed, and a guy who wore blue jeans and t-shirts all the time and drove an eight year old Toyota Corolla just didn't measure up to their standards. The joke was on them though, because my friend came from an extremely wealthy family but, like most people from "old money", worked to conceal that fact and gave every outward appearance that he was just an average, everyday guy.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

vikkyvik

Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:05 pm

If it's the kind of thing both spouses are into, then whatever, I don't care. But you should certainly know that in advance.

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
What if she says no?

My opinion: you shouldn't ever propose to someone if you don't already know the answer is "yes".
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

Georgetown

Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:50 pm

There’s a thread on the FT UA forum right now about a guy that wants to do a proposal at EWR and get fellow passengers involved. Based on the responses, I think he’s changing his mind. Beyond the public proposal part, EWR?!? Then what, go order a romantic glass of champagne off the iPad at the councourse bar??
Let's go Hoyas!

blueflyer

Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:43 pm

vikkyvik wrote:
My opinion: you shouldn't ever propose to someone if you don't already know the answer is "yes".

This! Last public proposal I personally know of, the future bride asked the future groom (not for the first time) not five minutes earlier when he would finally propose. She was actually getting impatient.

Strange thing is, she didn't see the proposal coming, even though it was quite obvious he was, finally, going to.

Georgetown wrote:
There’s a thread on the FT UA forum right now about a guy that wants to do a proposal at EWR and get fellow passengers involved. Based on the responses, I think he’s changing his mind. Beyond the public proposal part, EWR?!? Then what, go order a romantic glass of champagne off the iPad at the councourse bar??

With the right person, I could get a proposal at EWR (they met there, they're frequent fliers, in the industry, whatever...) but involving fellow passengers in an area so prone to stress is at best... foolish.

TSS

Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:54 pm

blueflyer wrote:
Last public proposal I personally know of, the future bride asked the future groom not five minutes earlier when he would finally propose. She was actually getting impatient.

Strange thing is, she didn't see the proposal coming, even though it was quite obvious he was, finally, going to.

Yikes!

Red Flag #1- Asking someone outright when they're going to propose seems at best a bit pushy and at worst wildly overconfident.

Red Flag #2- The fact that the intended hadn't cottoned on to the impending proposal would seem to indicate either a general cluelessness or gross self-involvement.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

blueflyer

Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:21 pm

TSS wrote:
Red Flag #1- Asking someone outright when they're going to propose seems at best a bit pushy and at worst wildly overconfident.

It had been a matter of conversation between them for some time. The If was not in question, the When was... After a few years, I don't blame her.

Alias1024

Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:48 pm

I’d imagine some people actually like the idea of a public proposal because it shows their significant other is willing to risk public embarrassment for them. Some just like being the center of attention. Some, it’s tbe significance of the location to the couple and it being public is a byproduct.

Not for me or my wife but not everyone is the same. If it makes them happy then what’s it matter how I feel about a public proposal?

blueflyer wrote:

Georgetown wrote:

With the right person, I could get a proposal at EWR (they met there, they're frequent fliers, in the industry, whatever...) but involving fellow passengers in an area so prone to stress is at best... foolish.

Agreed. If EWR has some significant meaning for them, then why not? I’m sure whatever airline they’re traveling on would be able to find a few employees that would be happy to help out, and would gladly give them a bottle of champagne and some other goodies for the good publicity it could bring.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.