Graphing calculators

Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:37 am

Texas Instruments or Hewlett-Packard?

Go.
Pancakes are delicious.

aviationaware

Re: Graphing calculators

Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:09 pm

There's an app for that. It's not 1993 anymore.

Aesma

Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:00 pm

TI

I had a Casio at first, with color screen (actually just a few colors, but nice when displaying a few graphs together). It was great, but most other students had TIs, and the TIs were better at something, I can't remember what. At the same time calculators were banned for the year I passed my Baccalauréat (French high school diploma) so it didn't matter much.

After that in higher education again everyone had a Ti so I got one too, so we could copy cheat data from one another with a cable. My best friend meanwhile had a HP, with its strange language I could never understand.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Trololzilla

Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:23 pm

TI for me, even though TI's offerings are, in general, sub-par compared to their competition and haven't markedly improved in capabilities in decades yet still cost the same absurd prices (despite cheaper, improved technology nowadays) - you know there's an issue when a graphing calculator takes more than 5 seconds to graph even simple graphs when a $10 Raspberry Pi could probably do the same thing far quicker. TI also used some pretty scummy tactics to corner the graphing calculator market in the U.S.

The TI-89 Titanium's an absolute unit, though, and it's what I used all throughout high school and college. Really saved my ass haha. I've always wanted to get my hands on a TI-Nspire CAS. They have a lot of cool functions, such as being able to overlay graphs onto imported images. That said, I've heard HP's brand of calculators are far superior once you get used to the language.

TWA772LR

Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:51 pm

Good Ol' TI-83.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

T18

Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:22 am

TI83 has got to be some kind of massive conspiracy. Every school I know of required that exact machine (or the more expensive 84). No Casios allowed. I'm convinced that TI pays off school districts for this, and then charged an insane amount for a machine that can't possible cost that much to make anymore.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

trpmb6

Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:40 pm

I have a TI89. It never sees the light of day except for some random happenstance and it always requires a change of batteries at that point. It's a waste honestly.

Pellegrine

Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:25 am

Growing up in HS and College I had a TI-89 since that was the highest level calc allowed on the SAT/ACT. I agree that TI has an unfair monopoly on these products. $130+ for a calc that has the power of less than a 80386 processor? Please.
oh boy, here we go!!!

Aesma

Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:51 am

Reading your answers made me remember the models. So in high school the most common was the Ti-83. At that time I had the Casio (can't remember the model). In higher education, the most common was the Ti-89. I had my parents pay for a Ti-92+, I remember it was something like 1000 francs. The advantage was that you could write lots of stuff with the full keyboard.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

akiss20

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:39 pm

The old joke is that we should peg our currencies to the price of the TI-83, it’s been $100 for decades now.

After high school I have never used my graphing calculator in college or now in grad school. Either everything is symbolic or when I am doing numerical anything it’s in Matlab.
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are

einsteinboricua

Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:30 pm

aviationaware wrote:

Except when taking tests you are not allowed to use cellphones or tablets.

I had a TI-83, but as I later found out, it was severely limited when compared to the TI-89 so for my 3rd year, I bought a TI-89, which was good because I used it for my circuit analysis, statistics, and economic analysis courses (the TI-83 can do matrix operations, but it's more complicated than on the TI-89).
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

casinterest

Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:36 pm

HP-48GX

Best Calculator ever, has now been replaced by an iphone app/ google search.
No clue what is allowed in schools anymore.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Trololzilla

Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:05 am

T18 wrote:
TI83 has got to be some kind of massive conspiracy. Every school I know of required that exact machine (or the more expensive 84). No Casios allowed. I'm convinced that TI pays off school districts for this, and then charged an insane amount for a machine that can't possible cost that much to make anymore.

Bit of a topic necro but you're actually entirely right about the 'conspiracy' aspect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoGl8-Wc-L0

FatCat

Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:31 am

aviationaware wrote:

Uh, you should tell hp then, they're stuck in 1983 https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-12c-p ... 1aa-aba--1

I had a TI, but do not remember the exact model, much probably an 83, it was the only admitted at tests because it wasn't programmable.
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

cranberrysaus

Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:50 pm

TI's are expensive but they're built like tanks. I still use the same TI-89 that I used through high school and college.

I think the new ones are a waste though. A backlit color touchscreen is unnecessary and needs to be charged reguarly versus the old calculators that can go a year between battery changes.

desertjets

Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:58 pm

Pellegrine wrote:
Growing up in HS and College I had a TI-89 since that was the highest level calc allowed on the SAT/ACT. I agree that TI has an unfair monopoly on these products. $130+ for a calc that has the power of less than a 80386 processor? Please.

All of the TI-8xs of my HS days used Zilog Z80s, same CPU as a Game Boy, a Colecovision or a Tandy TRS-80.

I had a TI-83 when they were brand new in 1996 I think. It was required for my 11th grade Pre-Calc/Trig class. Prior to that point we didn't need graphing calculators in math, a scientific one was find. I had a Sharp or Casio various points to that, though I briefly had my brother's hand me down TI-81 which met an unfortunate death in my book bag while being crammed into my gym locker w/ a can of Dr. Pepper. Before that we would get to play w/ TI-81s or 82s in math class. There were literally classroom sets that TI practically gave away to schools, as discussed in the linked Youtube video.

But my 83 didn't get used beyond much in college, I took one semester of Calculus and then one semester of stats for my major and that was it. In my grad school stats classes it was all about SPSS and I think by the 2nd time through I just bought a TI-30x for stuff I needed to do w/o SPSS.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Revelation

Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:40 pm

Airstud wrote:
Texas Instruments or Hewlett-Packard?

numpy and matplotlib.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own