Spar
Topic Author

Shanahan Quits

Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:54 pm

The leader of the US military resigns over issues with his private life.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/18/us/p ... etary.html

This will play just great on the world stage, and help undermine the United States' already shaky moral standing on the Iran issue. Shanahan would have fit in well with McNamara and Rumsfeld in the DoD hall of shame, but alas, it won't be him that gets future credit for the soon to come Iran blunder.

Also, this probably kills the F-15EX deal, (the completely unneeded thirteen billion dollar gift to Boeing that was forced on the Air Force by the DoD.)

einsteinboricua

Re: Shanahan Quits

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:16 pm

Fine tuned machine I see. Only hire the best people...

Nothing says "draining the swamp" like appointing former company executives to lead agencies.

"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

trpmb6

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:27 pm

Spar wrote:

Also, this probably kills the F-15EX deal, (the completely unneeded thirteen billion dollar gift to Boeing that was forced on the Air Force by the DoD.)

I'm more excited about the possibility that the OAX light attack aircraft competition may now go back to where it was originally headed before he became acting secretary.

910A

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:30 pm

I'm wondering why all this domestic violence information didn't come out during his confirmation process for under secretary of defense back in July 2017?

wingman

Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:47 pm

Fox News now confirming that the GOP classifies stomach punching and twat assault differently. The former falls into their violent offender quadrant where the latter is part of a recently expanded “presidential material” list. Pretty cool.

casinterest

Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:00 pm

Ahhh,
The Best People Tour continues. This is like Menudo. Different players, same fatal flaw.
They are not few!
They are not proud!
They lack class and stamina!

The Trump Cabinet.
Where ever you go, there you are.

einsteinboricua

Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:31 pm

910A wrote:
I'm wondering why all this domestic violence information didn't come out during his confirmation process for under secretary of defense back in July 2017?

Probably because the Senate didn't bother? As a rubberstamp to Trump's picks, either they knew and kept it underwraps, didn't bother to look it up, or he kept a tight lid on this.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

ltbewr

Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:22 am

At first his decision to withdraw was the classic cliche 'to spend more time with his family'. Things that would have been ignored years ago cannot be ignored today if they come out, especially any hint of violence in a relationship. There may be more to this story than disclosed to the public.

frmrCapCadet

Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:57 am

Read some of the longer stories available on line. It all sounds very sad.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

BestWestern

Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:46 am

Agree, it does sound sad.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

MaverickM11

Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:28 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:

It does, but it's also a paint-by-the-numbers exhibit A of white privilege. Imagine anyone not rich, white, and/or well connected essentially getting away with attempted murder of their mother by baseball bat.
E pur si muove -Galileo

seb146

Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:58 pm

There are a number of swamp dwellers who have left their positions and many have yet to be filled by a permanent appointee. This is concentrating power at the top under one person. And we should all be outraged. This is what dictators do. Putin and Pinoche and Dutarte and Mugabe and Duvalier. Combine this with the unwarranted attacks on the media and, yeah, this is how banana republics work. This is not America.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

BestWestern

Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:36 pm

Sorry Seb, but it is America.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

MikeDrop

Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:21 pm

seb146 wrote:
There are a number of swamp dwellers who have left their positions and many have yet to be filled by a permanent appointee. This is concentrating power at the top under one person. And we should all be outraged. This is what dictators do. Putin and Pinoche and Dutarte and Mugabe and Duvalier. Combine this with the unwarranted attacks on the media and, yeah, this is how banana republics work. This is not America.

Sounds like you are somehow saying that this man's very sad and tragic family life is somehow an indication that we are under a dictatorship? You are saying that we should be outraged at Trump because of this? This crap right here is why Trump will win in 2020.

Pathetic

Mike Drop

MikeDrop

Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:24 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
frmrCapCadet wrote:

It does, but it's also a paint-by-the-numbers exhibit A of white privilege. Imagine anyone not rich, white, and/or well connected essentially getting away with attempted murder of their mother by baseball bat.

Just wow. No you are bringing race into this? Holy smokes. This is just straight over the top. Just wow. Pathetic race baiting on your part. shameful.

Mike Drop

seb146

Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:43 pm

BestWestern wrote:
Sorry Seb, but it is America.

We have a "leader" hand picked by Russia who thinks he is running against Hillary again. Tell me who the actual, sworn-in and vetted and Senate confirmed heads of these departments are? If you look down the list, they are "acting" as opposed to actual confirmed heads. There is a huge difference.

seb146

Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:45 pm

MikeDrop wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Sounds like you are somehow saying that this man's very sad and tragic family life is somehow an indication that we are under a dictatorship? You are saying that we should be outraged at Trump because of this? This crap right here is why Trump will win in 2020.

Pathetic

Mike Drop

He is more interested in peddling his properties and swag and doing giving back to Russia rather than fill vacancies. Not counting those court vacancies Republicans refused to seat under Obama, of course.....

MaverickM11

Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:57 pm

MikeDrop wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
frmrCapCadet wrote:

Just wow. No you are bringing race into this? Holy smokes. This is just straight over the top. Just wow. Pathetic race baiting on your part. shameful.

Mike Drop

Did I trigger you because you're upset that it happens, or you're upset I pointed it out?
E pur si muove -Galileo

MikeDrop

Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:38 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

Mike Drop

Did I trigger you because you're upset that it happens, or you're upset I pointed it out?

Not triggered, just disappointed that you are trying to make this a racial issue. It’s not.

Mike Drop

seb146

Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:25 am

MikeDrop wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:

Mike Drop

Not triggered, just disappointed that you are trying to make this a racial issue. It’s not.

Mike Drop

There are three different discussions we need to have:

1. The swamp clearly has not been drained
2. There is still massive inequality
3. Not all criminals are treated the same.

MaverickM11

Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:10 am

MikeDrop wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
MikeDrop wrote:

Mike Drop

Mike Drop

You seem to be struggling with the obvious. If you're rich and well connected, you can get your son out of jail free. Meanwhile Trump can't even apologize to the Central Park Five--whose death he called for in print--and they were innocent.
E pur si muove -Galileo

aviationaware

Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:05 am

seb146 wrote:

We have a "leader" hand picked by Russia who thinks he is running against Hillary again.

Huh? Something must be really off in Merkel's mind if she thinks that. Also, interesting that she was hand picked by Russia, didn't know that. Thanks for sharing.

BTT, was pretty dumbstruck when I read all that stuff about the baseball bat and all. That family really has some deep seated problems that they should solve before taking over public positions of power, so good that he was withdrawn.