johnboy
Topic Author

Pat Robertson: Feel Free to Disregard What the Bible Says About Divorce

Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:03 am

“I think the church, which has been given the power of God to bind and loose, should lose this regulation and let people understand that divorce is not the unpardonable sin and that remarriage is not something that is forbidden forever.”

Got it, Pat. Now it’s cool to pick/choose which parts of the Bible you want. You’re just really not into Jesus anymore, are you?

#exceptthegayparts

https://friendlyatheist.patheos.com/201 ... um=twitter

tommy1808

Re: Pat Robertson: Feel Free to Disregard What the Bible Says About Divorce

Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:55 pm

johnboy wrote:
“I think the church, which has been given the power of God to bind and loose, should lose this regulation and let people understand that divorce is not the unpardonable sin and that remarriage is not something that is forbidden forever.”

Got it, Pat. Now it’s cool to pick/choose which parts of the Bible you want. You’re just really not into Jesus anymore, are you?

#exceptthegayparts

He is just learning from the catholic church. By far must marriage annulments are in the US, simply because people would just switch to a more permissible sect if they didn't. And they would lose a lot of money...

Probably just some big "donors" breaking up....

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

einsteinboricua

Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:20 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
He is just learning from the catholic church.

Actually, the Catholic Church still holds to the fact that divorce is not acceptable and if you do go through with it and remarry, you cannot partake in communion anymore (in essence, you're an outcast of the church). You have to get an annulment first so that, in the eyes of the church, you were never truly married.

The whole reason Evangelical branches exist is because of strict rules within the Catholic Church, namely divorce and marriage of priests.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

MaverickM11

Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:24 pm

How is this guy still alive? If there is a god he sure as hell doesn't want Pat anywhere near him.
E pur si muove -Galileo

tommy1808

Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:28 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
He is just learning from the catholic church.

Actually, the Catholic Church still holds to the fact that divorce is not acceptable and if you do go through with it and remarry, you cannot partake in communion anymore (in essence, you're an outcast of the church). You have to get an annulment first so that, in the eyes of the church, you were never truly married.

The whole reason Evangelical branches exist is because of strict rules within the Catholic Church, namely divorce and marriage of priests.

I know, i justed poited out that the the majority of annulments goes to a fraction of the worlds catholics to not lose them over it. Why? Money!

Best regards
Thomas

casinterest

Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:28 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
How is this guy still alive? If there is a god he sure as hell doesn't want Pat anywhere near him.

I think you answered your question.
Where ever you go, there you are.

cledaybuck

Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:54 pm

johnboy wrote:

#exceptthegayparts

When your savior has been divorced twice, you need to change the rules.

seb146

Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:41 pm

This is why I still don't understand why the Republican party has appointed themselves the morality police. They say one thing but do the opposite.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

readytotaxi

Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:07 pm

I was told that God loved a sinner? Not sure which God.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Francoflier

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:33 am

johnboy wrote:

That's what religious groups have been doing forever. The Bible has always been interpreted a million different ways to suit people's ways, especially those who rule or influence others.

Why people keep referring to a 1000+ years old anthology of fiction work (written at the will of different rulers who wanted to keep their populace in line) to seek moral guidance in an ever evolving technological society is beyond me. But then again, I'm a dirty heathen, so what do I know?
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

tommy1808

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:46 am

seb146 wrote:
This is why I still don't understand why the Republican party has appointed themselves the morality police. They say one thing but do the opposite.

one has to look no further than divorce rates by state and divorce rate by religion.....

best regards
Thomas

bennett123

Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:05 am

You talk about the Bible being interpreted in different ways.

Surely all laws are interpreted and changed over time.

You also refer to the technological world we live in, but have people really changed that much.

tommy1808

Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:30 am

bennett123 wrote:
You talk about the Bible being interpreted in different ways.

Surely all laws are interpreted and changed over time..

you have 34.000+ different Christian denominations at the same time, you have just one interpretation of law at any given time.

best regards
Thomas

Tugger

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:51 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
you have 34.000+ different Christian denominations at the same time, you have just one interpretation of law at any given time.

That is not quite true. From country to country (and in the USA state to state) you can have different interpretations of a law based on court challenges as they wend their way through the judicial system. Even for EU law and especially so for so called "International Law" (which there is no such thing officially).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

tommy1808

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:06 pm

Tugger wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:

That is not quite true. From country to country (and in the USA state to state) you can have different interpretations of a law based on court challenges as they wend their way through the judicial system.

That is the arbitration process to ensure that one country has just one law. Its quality control.

Even for EU law

With the ECJ being the ultimate arbitrator for what that means, so that is also just transient.

and especially so for so called "International Law" (which there is no such thing officially).

Funny that something that doesn't exist breaks national law and is directly applicable in courts here, and in many other places. There is not one universally agreed set of international law, as some just applies where ratified, but beyond that it very well exists.

Courts unevenly applying law is equivalent to two people within one denomination disagreeing on the theology.

Best regards
Thomas

Tugger

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:13 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Courts unevenly applying law is equivalent to two people within one denomination disagreeing on the theology.

Which makes my point perfectly actually.

A law can be one thing technically but the important thing is implementation and how it is implemented.

And don't get me wrong, I vastly prefer secular, governmental "law" over religious law. The fact that secular law has a real and effective process and path to proper determination, as it goes through court review if and when it is challenged, is precisely what makes it superior.

In the USA it is almost sport to watch as various state laws go through the courts to determine what is the ultimate national rule and interpretation.

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin