Aaron747
Topic Author

Flowers Death Sentence Overturned By SCOTUS

Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:17 pm

The US Supreme Court ruled 7-2 in favor of Curtis Flowers, an unfortunate man in Mississippi who has endured six trials culminating in conviction and death sentence for the murder of four people in 1996 - a crime in which there is only circumstantial evidence linking him, but he nevertheless endured multiple rounds of prosecutorial misconduct by the local DA, with virtually no oversight by the state Attorney General.
Perhaps not-so-incredibly for the state in question, prosecutors blatantly defied the requirements of the 1986 Batson v. Kentucky ruling that expressly forbade racial discrmination in jury selection.

Justice Kavanaugh's opinion was pretty terse in its summary:

In sum, the State’s pattern of striking black prospective jurors persisted from Flowers’ first trial through Flowers’ sixth trial. In the six trials combined, the State struck 41 of the 42 black prospective jurors it could have struck. At the sixth trial, the State struck five of six. At the sixth trial, moreover, the State engaged in dramatically disparate questioning of black and white prospective jurors. And it engaged in disparate treatment of black and white prospective jurors, in particular by striking black prospective juror Carolyn Wright.

What an unusual and unnecessary case.

https://www.apmreports.org/story/2019/0 ... tus-appeal
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

910A

Re: Flowers Death Sentence Overturned By SCOTUS

Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:26 pm

Can't believe the DA is running unopposed again this year. Six trials, two hung juries, four convictions overturned, there is something fishy here.

casinterest

Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:26 pm

Aaron747 wrote:

How so? It seems this case had to rise up as the State of Mississippi allowed unconstitutional behavior to occur. No real surprise there. It is Mississippi.

This is a case that lacks solid evidence for whom murdered the 4 people, and while it is easy to point the finger at Flowers( fired 13 days prior), there still needs to be evidence and constitutional behavior by the prosecution to get a case.

This Supreme Court case was unusual as most cases are that fall in gray areas, but it was necessary to once again remind the authorities in Mississippi that racism can't be a part of trials.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Aaron747
Topic Author

Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:50 pm

casinterest wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

How so? It seems this case had to rise up as the State of Mississippi allowed unconstitutional behavior to occur. No real surprise there. It is Mississippi.

This is a case that lacks solid evidence for whom murdered the 4 people, and while it is easy to point the finger at Flowers( fired 13 days prior), there still needs to be evidence and constitutional behavior by the prosecution to get a case.

This Supreme Court case was unusual as most cases are that fall in gray areas, but it was necessary to once again remind the authorities in Mississippi that racism can't be a part of trials.

My meaning was unnecessary in that if the state AG did their damn job, there never would have been multiple mistrials and a writ of certiorari.
If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

dmg626

Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:59 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

My meaning was unnecessary in that if the state AG did their damn job, there never would have been multiple mistrials and a writ of certiorari.

The night the lights went out in Mississippi?

MaverickM11

Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:59 pm

Clarence Thomas was one of the two dissenters. I really wonder what he qualifies as racism, besides his assault victim calling him out. :roll:
Last edited by MaverickM11 on Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E pur si muove -Galileo

casinterest

Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:02 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

It's Mississippi, and it's why we have a Supreme Court and Federal protections. These are the things so many forget. Mississippi's only inherent difference from Saudi Arabia is the cross vs the crescent.
Where ever you go, there you are.

zkojq

Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:39 pm

How can someone be sentenced to death with only circumstancial evidence? I thought the case had to be absolutely watertight before the death penalty became an option. Crazy.
First to fly the 787-9

LittleSprocket

Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:32 pm

zkojq wrote:
How can someone be sentenced to death with only circumstancial evidence? I thought the case had to be absolutely watertight before the death penalty became an option. Crazy.

In a perfect world, that would be the case. The requirements for the death penalty being imposed is on the following link if you are curious.

https://statelaws.findlaw.com/mississip ... -laws.html

einsteinboricua

Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:53 pm

Aaron747 wrote:

I'm trying to understand what the state Attorney General has to do with this? Aren't criminal cases handled by district attorneys?
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Aaron747
Topic Author

Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:53 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

I'm trying to understand what the state Attorney General has to do with this? Aren't criminal cases handled by district attorneys?

Yea, but since the DA here was either incompetent or willfully defying established law, he should have been replaced or the case moved to a different venue in the state. None of that was done.

scbriml

Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:59 pm

And people still call for carrying out executions quickly. :sarcastic:

I guess dead men don't talk.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

wingman

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:32 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Clarence Thomas was one of the two dissenters. I really wonder what he qualifies as racism, besides his assault victim calling him out. :roll:

He reminds me of the Chappelle Show skit where Dave thinks he's a white Klansman. That's one sad excuse of a brother assuming he ain't color blind.

stratosphere

Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:13 am

zkojq wrote:

Yeah this is one of the problems I have with the death penalty. Scott Peterson case in California was also circumstantial. Even though I personally believe he did do it I only believe in capital punishment with solid DNA evidence or a confession also backed up with the same evidence. I've seen too many DA's mold evidence to fit a particular case to get it off the books regardless if it costs a man his life. Thats why I always advocated if any evidence comes up after a conviction that shows prosecutors fabricated or hid evidence to seal a conviction that the prosecutor face a stiff jail sentence same with the cops. But that said if the evidence is overwhelming against the accused and it is a brutal heinous murder I say bring back the electric chair.

zkojq

Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:29 am

stratosphere wrote:
zkojq wrote:

Yeah this is one of the problems I have with the death penalty. Scott Peterson case in California was also circumstantial. Even though I personally believe he did do it I only believe in capital punishment with solid DNA evidence or a confession also backed up with the same evidence. I've seen too many DA's mold evidence to fit a particular case to get it off the books regardless if it costs a man his life. Thats why I always advocated if any evidence comes up after a conviction that shows prosecutors fabricated or hid evidence to seal a conviction that the prosecutor face a stiff jail sentence same with the cops.

I agree with everything you said there.
First to fly the 787-9

DL717

Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:24 am

Aaron747 wrote:
The US Supreme Court ruled 7-2 in favor of Curtis Flowers, an unfortunate man in Mississippi who has endured six trials culminating in conviction and death sentence for the murder of four people in 1996 - a crime in which there is only circumstantial evidence linking him, but he nevertheless endured multiple rounds of prosecutorial misconduct by the local DA, with virtually no oversight by the state Attorney General.
Perhaps not-so-incredibly for the state in question, prosecutors blatantly defied the requirements of the 1986 Batson v. Kentucky ruling that expressly forbade racial discrmination in jury selection.

Justice Kavanaugh's opinion was pretty terse in its summary:

In sum, the State’s pattern of striking black prospective jurors persisted from Flowers’ first trial through Flowers’ sixth trial. In the six trials combined, the State struck 41 of the 42 black prospective jurors it could have struck. At the sixth trial, the State struck five of six. At the sixth trial, moreover, the State engaged in dramatically disparate questioning of black and white prospective jurors. And it engaged in disparate treatment of black and white prospective jurors, in particular by striking black prospective juror Carolyn Wright.

That Kavanaugh guy is a real bastard. Just like all those Democrats said he was. :roll:
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

apodino

Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:32 pm

This case is exactly why the death penalty needs to be banned, period. This guy could have been executed and then we find out he did not get a fair trial. Great ruling by the supreme court, and sadly this case brings back memories of the Salem Witch Trials.

einsteinboricua

Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:33 pm

DL717 wrote:
That Kavanaugh guy is a real bastard. Just like all those Democrats said he was. :roll:

This is an isolated case and even those without law experience would have foreseen that the sentence would be overturned due to prosecutorial misconduct. This does not establish precedent nor does it overturn SCOTUS precedent. Doesn't make me think any more or less of him, however, especially since he's proven to be a bit of a swing vote on certain issues. It would be hilarious if he believes that Roe v Wade deserves to stand. Then this comment would not be a snide remark but an admission of guilt.

einsteinboricua

Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:40 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Yea, but since the DA here was either incompetent or willfully defying established law, he should have been replaced or the case moved to a different venue in the state. None of that was done.

Except an AG is rarely involved in a criminal case unless it directly involves the state. An AG usually advises the sitting government on laws and lawsuits against or in the name of the state. Criminal prosecution usually falls under a state attorney who oversees district attorneys.

Source

DL717

Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:01 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
DL717 wrote:

This is an isolated case and even those without law experience would have foreseen that the sentence would be overturned due to prosecutorial misconduct. This does not establish precedent nor does it overturn SCOTUS precedent. Doesn't make me think any more or less of him, however, especially since he's proven to be a bit of a swing vote on certain issues. It would be hilarious if he believes that Roe v Wade deserves to stand. Then this comment would not be a snide remark but an admission of guilt.

One off? It seems you believe the court should be one sided in your favor.

You people are rich.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

einsteinboricua

Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:20 am

DL717 wrote:
One off? It seems you believe the court should be one sided in your favor.

You people are rich.

Maybe...but then again, it wasn't liberals who put up a blockade for a nominee to ensure the court remains with a particular lean...nor are liberals the ones saying that they wished liberal justices die or retire in the hopes of allowing Trump to name more justices (the same person who said we shouldn't confirm nominees during election year has made no secret of his plans to go against that precedent if a vacancy happens next year).

If the court is seen as being politicized, it's not Schumer's fault.