Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

afcjets
Topic Author

Sprint vs. T-Mobile, etc.

Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:21 pm

When I had Sprint 15 years ago I never had issues. I can't remember why in 2006 I switched to Verizon but got rid of them because my bill was too high back before unlimited plans were common. Around 2010 I tried T-Mobile and even though their network had a few holes in it, the price was great. I can't remember the last time I ever dropped a call or lost internet with T-Mobile and almost forgot they were the worst before, and not even really that bad. I had to get a replacement phone a couple of weeks ago and a rep told me Sprint had a no contract plan if you switched and you could bring your own phone or purchase one at a special price and keep your number. The plan is called kickstart and it's only $25 per month unlimited data talk and text, no hot spot though (or $30 if you do not set up auto pay) and is a post paid account.

My question is what happened to Sprint? I constantly lose internet and it doesn't work in half the places of T-Mobile. Also the sound quality for the same exact type of phone isn't nearly as good as it was on T-mobile's network. Their stores aren't as nice or clean as T-Mobile and the staff seems to know they kinda suck. I am not sure I can wait for the merger to go through and get back to T-Mobile on this almost too good to be true plan I have. I forgot you get what you pay for. Has anyone else noticed how bad Sprint is these days?

seb146

Re: Sprint vs. T-Mobile, etc.

Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:54 pm

I had this conversation with my new manager. He lived in Tampa for a long time and said that Sprint is the best there but here in Oregon he has horrible service. I noticed that Sprint is spotty at best on the West Coast. T-Mobile is okay. I have been with Verizon for almost 10 years and have never had a problem. Their service on the West Coast is outstanding. If I had to choose between Sprint and T-Mobile, I would go with T-Mobile. My cousins in Montana and eastern Washington have them and think they are good.

EDIT:

I saw your comment about "post paid" and have to add that prepaid and services like Virgin and Boost are usually on Sprint and given low priority, meaning, if there is a lot of Sprint post paid traffic, they will have higher speeds and better connections. Maybe someone can explain it better but that is how I understand prepaid services.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Okie

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:09 pm

afcjets wrote:
My question is what happened to Sprint? I constantly lose internet and it doesn't work in half the places of T-Mobile.

I have a Sprint personal and a T-Mobile business both iPhone.
The problem is with the way the Service provider programs the phones.
Before iPhone I could force my Sprint to accept signal from another provider. Since iPhone as long as there is the slightest hint of a Sprint signal it will not switch and no way to force it to another network.
The areas where I cover you can move a few feet and lose or get a better signal.
The T-Mobile seems to just jump on whatever network is the strongest at the moment and keep on transmitting.

Now as for as far as local to OKC the Sprint seems to have better LTE signal while the T-Mobile is iffy in some places.

So you really just do not know until you jump in as far as service goes.

Okie

NIKV69

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:16 pm

I left Sprint for T-Mobile 5 years ago. I love saving 30 bucks a month and not having to be tied to a 2 year deal. Service is a little better too.
I am the Googlizer!!!

anrec80

Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:53 pm

I have T-Mobile (through a reseller, much cheaper) - one line for myself, one for my mom, who lives in Canada - using free Canada roaming. Service in NYC is perfectly fine. Not as consistently performing as Verizon, but does what it needs to do, for less than half the price (be it our US or Canadian lines). Plus - the reseller slices and dices a big commercial account, hence they do not kick us off for international roaming.

tommy1808

Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:01 am

Okie wrote:
afcjets wrote:
My question is what happened to Sprint? I constantly lose internet and it doesn't work in half the places of T-Mobile.

I have a Sprint personal and a T-Mobile business both iPhone.
The problem is with the way the Service provider programs the phones.
Before iPhone I could force my Sprint to accept signal from another provider. Since iPhone as long as there is the slightest hint of a Sprint signal it will not switch and no way to force it to another network.
The areas where I cover you can move a few feet and lose or get a better signal.
The T-Mobile seems to just jump on whatever network is the strongest at the moment and keep on transmitting.

Now as for as far as local to OKC the Sprint seems to have better LTE signal while the T-Mobile is iffy in some places.

So you really just do not know until you jump in as far as service goes.

Okie

Also what roaming agreements they have in place, unless that is regulated by law it may just be a lit cheaper for t-mobile to offer roaming that freely.

Best regards
Thomas
Well, there is prophecy in the bible after all: 2 Timothy 3:1-6

frmrCapCadet

Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:30 pm

I'm using T-mobile now (iPhone), generally very good service and prices (a senior plan). But in Kings Canyon NP no signal at all, but was talking with a guy with Verizon and he had 4 bars signal. Grrrr.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

njxc500

Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:38 pm

A few years back sprint was doing their network vision upgrade, and it was a nightmare.

We had constant dropped calls, i handle probably 75 calls a day, and i was losing half of them. One day i was talking with support and they told me my call success was showing 99 percent......that call dropped seconds later.

They also asked for your phone number when you call support, but if you get disconnected, they never call you back.

Sprint is dead to me, and i know many others that went thru the same.

Sprint is a garbage company. Go to their Facebook page, it's good for a chuckle.

Cadet985

Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:05 am

Several years ago, my dad and I got fed up with Verizon being so expensive, so we drove to a local mall where all the major carriers have company owned stores.

We did not like AT&T when I was in high school; I could be a mile from my house in school, and my phone was roaming.

We briefly had Sprint (Nextel, at the time) before we found a better deal with Verizon. We stayed with them several years, but it just got too expensive.

So we got to the mall, and we weren’t sure how Sprint would handle us, but the plan was to go to them and T-Mobile and investigate both.

Parking was easier to find near the T-Mobile store. We went in, and liked what we heard, so we switched to them and haven’t looked back.

I like the fact that we’re not bound by a contract, their data plans aren’t bad — my mom, dad, and I are all on unlimited talk, text, and web. We pay extra on my phone for international calling because I have friends who live abroad, and of course the Netflix is a plus. I like how you’re able to text them via their app for most billing and customer service issues. They’re also very responsive on Twitter....and thanks to T-Mobile Tuesdays, I actually own a share of stock in the company...I plan to explore the stock market more when my personal situation is more stable.

All in all, I’m very happy with T-Mobile.

I should also add that if you’re on a certain plan, you get free gogo inflight internet, so that’s always a plus.

Marc

afcjets
Topic Author

Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:55 pm

njxc500 wrote:
A few years back sprint was doing their network vision upgrade, and it was a nightmare.

We had constant dropped calls, i handle probably 75 calls a day, and i was losing half of them. One day i was talking with support and they told me my call success was showing 99 percent......that call dropped seconds later.

They also asked for your phone number when you call support, but if you get disconnected, they never call you back.

Sprint is dead to me, and i know many others that went thru the same.

Sprint is a garbage company. Go to their Facebook page, it's good for a chuckle.

Lufthansa is the only company I can think of that had yellow as part of their color scheme that is not a cheap company, but they also had blue. I actually thought it looked better before they got rid of the yellow with the blue and I think Spirit has the worst look I have ever seen in the sky. Marketing execs probably choose yellow for a reason, it probably is supposed to communicate cheap.

readytotaxi

Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:22 am

When visiting the US I use Tracphone on a pay as you go tariff, found that their service has been good on East and West coast. Not sure how they are viewed in the US market but works for me.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.