einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Americans and electric stoves

Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:18 am

I have to vent...why is it that a majority of properties have electric stoves (coils or ceramic tops)?

Maybe I'm spoiled by having been raised in a household that used gas stove, but since I've been living in the states, only my house in Maryland had a gas range; all others have the coils.

Is this an American thing? Why would anyone think that electric is better than gas?
Last edited by einsteinboricua on Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."

Francoflier

Re: Americans and electric stoves

Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:38 am

Lol. Talk about a firestarter...

I'm also pro-gas, but gas implies certain logistical issues. If you don't live in a city where you can easily connect to a gas network, then you either have a big tank in the backyard somewhere that needs to be refilled regularly, or have to haul these heavy cylinders around every time they run out.

There's also safety implications and added maintenance, such as changing the hoses regularly.

Electric is just cheaper, easier to install and easier to use.
And, let's face it, America is not the promised land when it comes to elaborate home cooking...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Airstud

Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:54 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
Maybe I'm spoiled by having been raised in a household that used gas stove

Yep.
Pancakes are delicious.

aviationaware

Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:34 am

I have a gas range for the first time ever in my current home and I love it. Everything is done so much faster it’s not even close. I’m never going back unless I don’t have a choice.

fr8mech

Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:33 am

Actually, the first time I saw a non-gas stove was in Europe, 40 or so years ago.

As it stands, I just remodeled my kitchen and moved from a free standing electric to a built-in gas stove top.

Francoflier wrote:
And, let's face it, America is not the promised land when it comes to elaborate home cooking...

Speak for yourself.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

scbriml

Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:41 am

I grew up in a house with a gas stove and my mother always said she hated electric. Once I left home, my wife and I always had a gas stove until we moved house last October. Our new house (it's actually 150 years old!) has a remodeled kitchen with an induction hob.

O.M.G! I love it and will never go back to gas. It's as responsive as gas but absolutely the biggest plus point is how easy it is to clean. No having to take apart the burners to scrub clean baked-on splashes and spills, just squirt with cleaner and wipe with a damp cloth. One minute, done.

Have those advocating gas used an induction hob?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

anrec80

Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:49 am

Francoflier wrote:
Lol. Talk about a firestarter...

Not only a firestarter - gas is explosive. There are cases here and there when there are numerous casualties when someone left gas turned on, and then it explodes and destroys a big apartment building. Far from the safest of things.

LJ

Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:55 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
I have to vent...why is it that a majority of properties have electric stoves (coils or ceramic tops)?

Maybe I'm spoiled by having been raised in a household that used gas stove, but since I've been living in the states, only my house in Maryland had a gas range; all others have the coils.

Is this an American thing? Why would anyone think that electric is better than gas?

Nobody opts for a gas stove anymore in The Netherlands unless you need to or have some sentimental reason to do so. It's so old fashioned. Why it's better? First, it's environmental friendly (and free if you've solar panels on your roof). If you want to have an energy neutral house, then you cannot use gas. Second, it is much quicker (OK this applies when you have induction). Third, it's much safer as you don't have a gas installation. The question should be why one wants to have a gas oven.

BTW I never experienced a difference

seat64k

Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:24 am

scbriml wrote:
I grew up in a house with a gas stove and my mother always said she hated electric. Once I left home, my wife and I always had a gas stove until we moved house last October. Our new house (it's actually 150 years old!) has a remodeled kitchen with an induction hob.

I'm with you on that. Had an induction stove in a previous apartment and I really really miss it. Side note: I think that, since the introduction of induction hobs, we can't just refer to "electric" anymore - it's meaningless.

Francoflier wrote:

Why do you say that? What are you comparing?

TTailedTiger

Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:38 am

scbriml wrote:

O.M.G! I love it and will never go back to gas. It's as responsive as gas but absolutely the biggest plus point is how easy it is to clean. No having to take apart the burners to scrub clean baked-on splashes and spills, just squirt with cleaner and wipe with a damp cloth. One minute, done.

Well we finally found something we agree on. Induction will run circles around gas. No contest.

TTailedTiger

Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:41 am

LJ wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Nobody opts for a gas stove anymore in The Netherlands unless you need to or have some sentimental reason to do so. It's so old fashioned. Why it's better? First, it's environmental friendly (and free if you've solar panels on your roof). If you want to have an energy neutral house, then you cannot use gas. Second, it is much quicker (OK this applies when you have induction). Third, it's much safer as you don't have a gas installation. The question should be why one wants to have a gas oven.

BTW I never experienced a difference

Agreed. Not to mention that since water vapor is a byproduct of combustion, your baked goods will never brown evenly or provide as good of a texture in a gas oven.

SkyGourmet

Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:47 am

anrec80 wrote:
someone left gas turned on

Most places require a flame failure device on gas cooktops.

TTailedTiger wrote:
it's environmental friendly

That depends entirely on the source of your electricity. If it is generated from fossil fuels, a gas stove has a way better efficiency since there's no conversion step.

TTailedTiger wrote:
water vapor

For that reason, it is possible to combine a gas cooktop with an electric oven.

BartSimpson

Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:52 am

scbriml wrote:

We had one in the house where I grew up, and I loved it. However, since then I always had electric stoves (the glass ceramics type) which were not too bad but not as fast as gas.

Actually, I'm just now buying a new kitchen and I'll switch to induction and looking forward to it. Among other advantages, I can get rid of the microwave I never really liked.

max999

Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:59 am

Induction is the way to go. Many professional chefs have installed induction equipment alongside the older gas stoves. Induction can change heat settings very quickly just like gas, but without the danger of exploding.

The downside to induction is that some pots and pans are not compatible; they won't heat up because the material doesn't react to the magnetic coils that generates heat in an induction stove.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

Pellegrine

Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:08 am

I love cooking with gas. Electric stoves are terrible.
oh boy, here we go!!!

SCQ83

Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:18 am

I think it is the other way around. I am always surprised there are still many gas stoves in American homes. In most of Western Europe (e.g. Spain) electric stoves have been the standard for decades. And induction has been the standard for 10-15 years now. You will directly not find a gas stove in anything built after the 1990s unless you are a "cooking geek".

max999 wrote:
Induction is the way to go. Many professional chefs have installed induction equipment alongside the older gas stoves. Induction can change heat settings very quickly just like gas, but without the danger of exploding

It also doesn't burn your hand if you touch it. And easier to clean than a standard electric stove.

ltbewr

Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:38 am

I am familiar with 3 choices, natural gas, propane and electric for cooking/baking appliances here in the USA. I have no experience with induction-electric cooktops. Each have their place, advantages and disadvantages.

Natural Gas is only good where service is available .Installation of the pipe to the street main can be a high initial expense. With both natural gas and propane, cracks in lines, leaving burners partially off, can lead to massive damage. I have seen homes turned to splinters from natural and propane gas leak explosions. Where I live in NJ, this happens something like once a month. Many apartment buildings have electric stoves/ovens/ranges and/or cooktops (we have several names for such appliances) due to safety and ease of installation.

Natural gas and propane is far more preferred for quality, speed and control over electric for cooking. Natural gas, especially when combined with high efficiency heating systems, can be cheaper than electric. Natural gas can vary in price but usually less so than electricity or propane. So long as pay the bills, natural gas is always available. Propane has to be delivered and the bill usually paid upon delivery or in some plan system of payments. Propane may not work in very cold weather.

Electric can be more expensive in use. Costs for electricity can be expensive in some parts of the USA, relatively cheap in others. It may not cook or back as quickly, easily or evenly as gas/propane. Installation costs can be a lot less and can be safer than gas with only rare situations from shorts or damage to electrical service. It may also be unavailable if the power goes out.

cpd

Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:49 am

einsteinboricua wrote:

I’m not American but I have ceramic induction cooktop as well. Love it, works so quickly. I did have to get new pots and pans - but lovely.

frmrCapCadet

Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:13 pm

I've used both and figured out work-a-rounds covering the advantages/disadvantages of both. Right now our condo has a modestly upgrade gas range/oven. And oddly the broiler, which was typically the weakest link of gas, is particularly useful for any meat an inch or more thick. I've never used induction but imagine after a few weeks I could adapt to one.

Until induction came along, essentially all any range did was provide heat to the bottom of a pan, which had to work its way through the thickness of any particular pan. Depending upon the range I found thinner/heavier pans required depending on what I was cooking.

Gas curls around and heats the side of pans and great for omelets (but likewise loses heat). Electric puts all of the heat into the bottom of a pan, hence tends to heat water for pasta faster.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

DL717

Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:24 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:

You’ll see the largest numbers where natural gas is not piped to the home. It’s why a lot of the same people along the east coast still have oil pumped into a tank in their yard for heating. Without electric they’d need propane which has a pretty volatile market. It’s better to focus the propane cost on heating rather than cooking. Same thing with electric dryers vs. gas.

Any cook will tell you natural gas is superior to propane and propane is superior to induction and induction is superior to electric for cooking.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

DL717

Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:37 pm

Francoflier wrote:

I know right? I mean, who doesn’t love a country that thinks sautéd snails was a good idea? Maybe we have to go to Italy for good Italian? Germany for a good brat? Japan for sushi? London for Fish n Chips? Getting a good taco is probably quite expensive for you I’d imagine. What’s the airfare? $1000. Damn, that’s one expensive taco because there is no such thing as good Mexican food in Europe.

We can get all of those in a week here out of our own kitchens. It’s because we’re also a melting pot of delicious food groups, unlike anywhere in the world. Thanks for playing.

Pyrex

Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:20 pm

Gas is vastly superior to cook, but as others mentioned it does require additional piping, etc. so that is probably why most dedicated rental apartment buildings don't bother with it. That said, the ones that do probably can command a revenue premium.

Induction stovetops are just a moronic way to cook, though. Requires you to throw away all your pots and pans and start over. The only problem is that a pot or pan is like a violin, the more used the better it becomes. I have an aluminum frying pan that is over 60 years old that I inherited from my grandmother that is half blackened and full of dents and holes (have had to have it welded before!), but it produces the best thin-cut steaks you can possibly imagine. If my house was on fire, it would be one of the first things I would try to salvage. And yet, I cannot use it on an induction stovetop.
Read this very carefully, I shall write this only once!

Aesma

Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:30 pm

I grew up with an old style electric stovetop as that was pretty standard in France (gas has not been favored since the building of many nuclear plants) so I was used to that. A friend of mine had a propane stovetop and I would be amazed at the speed it took to heat up some water or milk. Then we got an induction stovetop, and that's still another level of speed, so I really don't want gas anymore. In my parents' vacation home (800 years old) there is natural gas for everything, including the oven, and well, it's useable, but I would gladly do without.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

seb146

Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:35 pm

Who has gas delivered and stored in tanks? I have never heard of this. Maybe it is an East Coast thing. I prefer electric because of maintenance. It is easier to change out an element rather than deal with gas lines and the flints. My mother in law has gas and one of the burners is hard to start. It is newer (built after 2005) and getting that one burner to start gets the heart pumping.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

TSS

Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:59 pm

seb146 wrote:
Who has gas delivered and stored in tanks? I have never heard of this. Maybe it is an East Coast thing.

It's more of a rural thing. If you live outside the city limits or in a small town that doesn't have gas lines, you can get propane service wherein a tank (usually 80 to 100 gallons for a single-family residence, I think) is placed in your yard and refilled as needed. Propane, aka LNG or Liquefied Natural Gas, is much cheaper in the summer when demand is lower, so that's the time to top up the tank.

seb146 wrote:
I prefer electric because of maintenance. It is easier to change out an element rather than deal with gas lines and the flints. My mother in law has gas and one of the burners is hard to start. It is newer (built after 2005) and getting that one burner to start gets the heart pumping.

I grew up with older gas stoves and never saw one where the pilot lights worked properly, so we just shut the pilots off entirely and used matches to light the burners. Also, even if the pilot lights did work properly they'd make the kitchen unnecessarily hot all the time. I've never used a gas stove new enough to have electric igniters, but if I did I'd still keep a box of kitchen matches close by, just in case.

Growing up, no kitchen with a gas stove was complete without one of these on the wall by the stove-

A box of kitchen matches slides in from the top and the slot on the side exposes the strike strip on the side of the box. Some are less decorative than that one, some more, and the really fancy ones are made of cast iron.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

readytotaxi

Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:13 pm

Makes you wonder what percentage of homes in the San Francisco area has a gas oven. :bouncy:
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

Pyrex

Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:15 pm

seb146 wrote:
Who has gas delivered and stored in tanks? I have never heard of this.

Hank Hill has a sad..

TSS

Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:40 pm

Pyrex wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Hank Hill has a sad..

Indeed. Now try mentioning a gas floor furnace to anyone from outside the Southeastern US... They will have no earthly idea what you're talking about.

seb146

Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:56 pm

TSS wrote:
Pyrex wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Hank Hill has a sad..

Indeed. Now try mentioning a gas floor furnace to anyone from outside the Southeastern US... They will have no earthly idea what you're talking about.

When I was growing up, we had one of these. Cascade Natural Gas had to come every October and light the pilot and back every April to turn it off. It was the most horrible thing and I understood why my mom never ever wanted gas anything in the house....
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

scbriml

Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:31 pm

cpd wrote:
I did have to get new pots and pans - but lovely.

Yes, we had to buy some new pans, but tbh our old ones were getting a bit sad, so no real hardship.
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

ER757

Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:32 pm

When I lived in the Chicago area, my parents' house and both apartments I lived in as an adult had gas stoves. When I moved to the Seattle area it's been nothing but electric in the places I have lived. The gas lines aren't as ubiqutous here as they are back in Illinois. I think maybe because the area produces such abundant cheap hydro power that it was decided that was the way to go in many areas.
My personal preference for cooking is gas, so I feel your pain my fellow Seattle transplant

TSS

Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:50 pm

seb146 wrote:
TSS wrote:
Pyrex wrote:

Hank Hill has a sad..

When I was growing up, we had one of these. Cascade Natural Gas had to come every October and light the pilot and back every April to turn it off. It was the most horrible thing and I understood why my mom never ever wanted gas anything in the house....

We always lit and turned off our own pilot light, but regulations might be different up there. Floor furnaces are good, effective heat considering they have no fan, but when in use they would dry out the air terribly so we always kept a pan of water sitting on the grate. You knew winter had truly arrived when you were awakened in the middle of the night by a clang, a hiss, and a muttered expletive because someone had knocked over the water pan on their way to the bathroom. One massive advantage of floor furnaces over central heat is that while they don't get every corner of every room evenly warm, they, like fireplaces, do give you a place to go and get warm when you've just come in from outside.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:17 pm

Regarding safety: that, to me, is a weak excuse. My parents have lived in the same house and have their gas stored in tanks outside their kitchen and never have they encountered issues with is. A good house, built to modern standards, will support having a gas pipeline or at the very least, local storage. And as with everything, if you're careless and negligent, the fault is all yours. Even an electric stove can cause a fire if left unattended.

Food is food, but there definitely is a taste difference when the pots and pans are heated due to natural flame over electric resistance. Flame is also easier to control.

I have not tried induction, though I'm curious to try it. There was a Subway close to my high school that served made to order omelettes and they used a mini-induction platform, though I hated it because I always heard a very high pitch tune. I would think that induction stoves are NOT like that.

I've also tried ceramic top stoves and, while still electric, do a much better job at transferring heat throughout the pots and pans. The house I'm looking into buying (in another thread) has ceramic top, but the stove is right next to the deck so I could consider (later in the future) making a small modification and buying a tank of gas and replace the stove with a gas one.

LMP737

Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:50 am

einsteinboricua wrote:

Where I grew up we had gas. Where I live now the only choice is electric. Which do I prefer, gas. However you learn to live with an electric range.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

LMP737

Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:53 am

ER757 wrote:
When I lived in the Chicago area, my parents' house and both apartments I lived in as an adult had gas stoves. When I moved to the Seattle area it's been nothing but electric in the places I have lived. The gas lines aren't as ubiqutous here as they are back in Illinois. I think maybe because the area produces such abundant cheap hydro power that it was decided that was the way to go in many areas.
My personal preference for cooking is gas, so I feel your pain my fellow Seattle transplant

I live in the Seattle area as well. Do miss the gas of the Chicago-land area as well, but you adapt. What blows my mind about out here are the people who have to use propane to heat their homes, and they're not that far from cities/towns.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

Dieuwer

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:00 am

I have an electric stove. The resistance-type. Takes a while to heat up and when you turn it off, it takes a while to cool down. Very annoying if you are not used to it (stuff boils over easily). But eventually, you learn and be aware of the lag.

M564038

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:34 am

I don’t get the thread starter. I have traveled all around the planet constantly on tour for the last 20 years, but I don’t think I have ever seen a gas stove except in a couple of american homes and in run down parts of eastern europe.
Where I come from, we use propane stoves in our primitive seaside and mountain cabins where we don’t have electricity, and most people have a gas option for BBQs, but it is considered a nuisance and waaay sub-par compared to modern standard induction home stoves. Gas? Better? Who would ever think that except maybe people that buy $150 speaker cables, and think they can taste which country their wine comes from? (They can’t.)
It’s just uncharming, clueless and misplaced snobbery.

Agreed that older electrical could be less snappy than gas, but come on, gas is just a mess. Uneccesary infrastructure.

fr8mech

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:56 am

TTailedTiger wrote:

Agreed. Not to mention that since water vapor is a byproduct of combustion, your baked goods will never brown evenly or provide as good of a texture in a gas oven.

I haven't seen a gas-fired oven since we moved out of our old Brooklyn apartment in 1979. The thing had to be 50 years old then.

I don't even know if they're still available for the home. Didn't even see the option when we were shopping last year.

seb146 wrote:

My father-in-law lives on a lake. Just this side of rural, if you ask me. He has a 500 gal. propane tank that is used to provide heat/hot water in the house. His cooking appliances are, alas, electric.

scbriml wrote:
induction

I haven't used induction, but hear good things about it. I may buy a single "burner" unit for additional cooking options.

I'm a fan of gas. Easy to control temperature. The big burners do a better job of heating the larger pots/pans.

As for cleaning. I like the process. It's settles me. Takes about 10 minutes & a beer, once a week. Quick wipe-downs between meals.

BartSimpson

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:18 am

One more advantage of gas: if electricity is down you can at least make yourself a hot soup on the stove. I had planned load sheddings several times in my apartment in Cape Town in winter and was glad to have something warm at least.

fr8mech

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:27 am

BartSimpson wrote:
One more advantage of gas: if electricity is down you can at least make yourself a hot soup on the stove. I had planned load sheddings several times in my apartment in Cape Town in winter and was glad to have something warm at least.

That's true. Power went down for about 10 minutes while I was preparing a quick steak-bite & zucchini noddle dinner. Never missed a beat.

scbriml

Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:28 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
Flame is also easier to control.

I have not tried induction, though I'm curious to try it.

IMHO, induction is just as responsive and easy to control as gas.

SkyGourmet

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:15 am

M564038 wrote:
I don’t think I have ever seen a gas stove except in a couple of american homes and in run down parts of eastern europe

They're very common in Italy, the UK, the Netherlands...

M564038 wrote:
Uneccesary infrastructure.

Not if you're heating with gas anyway.

I've used induction stoves and they work well, but for a critical appliance like a stove I'd rather have something without electronics. I once accidentally activated the child safety lock on one of those touch control induction stoves and had to search the manual on how to deactivate it!

Mortyman

Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:43 am

DL717 wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

I know right? I mean, who doesn’t love a country that thinks sautéd snails was a good idea? Maybe we have to go to Italy for good Italian? Germany for a good brat? Japan for sushi? London for Fish n Chips? Getting a good taco is probably quite expensive for you I’d imagine. What’s the airfare? $1000. Damn, that’s one expensive taco because there is no such thing as good Mexican food in Europe.

We can get all of those in a week here out of our own kitchens. It’s because we’re also a melting pot of delicious food groups, unlike anywhere in the world. Thanks for playing.

In Norway :-)

cpd

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:26 am

scbriml wrote:
cpd wrote:
I did have to get new pots and pans - but lovely.

Yes, we had to buy some new pans, but tbh our old ones were getting a bit sad, so no real hardship.

Mine as well, along with the old stove.

For pasta it is great, you can boil a large pot of water really quickly. You just set it to the boost function and it is done really fast. The old electric stove (which was ancient) took forever, and the elements on it would be red hot, a real hazard.

NIKV69

Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:12 am

Pyrex wrote:
Gas is vastly superior to cook, but as others mentioned it does require additional piping, etc. so that is probably why most dedicated rental apartment buildings don't bother with it. That said, the ones that do probably can command a revenue premium.

I love gas but I guess electric is safer and more practical. The kitchen in the place I brought has electric and I deal with it. Does the job,
"Some people did something" Rep Omar on 9/11

Pyrex

Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:56 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Pyrex wrote:

I love gas but I guess electric is safer and more practical. The kitchen in the place I brought has electric and I deal with it. Does the job,

I currently have normal electric, and I deal with it (don't think I would be able to deal with induction), but one thing I would not be able to deal with is electric water heater. A few years ago my parents renovated their kitchen and as a part of that they decided to cancel gas service, so replaced the gas range with an induction one and replaced the instantaneous gas-fired water heater with one of those large electric tanks that store hot water. Besides taking a lot more space (in a relatively small apartment), it also acts as an incentive to wake up earlier, because if you are not the first one taking a shower there is no more hot water for you...

DL717

Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:59 pm

seb146 wrote:
Who has gas delivered and stored in tanks? I have never heard of this. Maybe it is an East Coast thing. I prefer electric because of maintenance. It is easier to change out an element rather than deal with gas lines and the flints. My mother in law has gas and one of the burners is hard to start. It is newer (built after 2005) and getting that one burner to start gets the heart pumping.

East coast gets a lot of oil, rural areas see a lot of propane delivery. It’s expensive. Currently about $3 a gallon. In the winter, a rural home can burn 120 gallons a month. Natural gas is probably half that is cost, maybe a little more.

Mortyman wrote:
DL717 wrote:
Francoflier wrote:

In Norway :-)

:rotfl:

DL717

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:05 pm

M564038 wrote:
I don’t get the thread starter. I have traveled all around the planet constantly on tour for the last 20 years, but I don’t think I have ever seen a gas stove except in a couple of american homes and in run down parts of eastern europe.
Where I come from, we use propane stoves in our primitive seaside and mountain cabins where we don’t have electricity, and most people have a gas option for BBQs, but it is considered a nuisance and waaay sub-par compared to modern standard induction home stoves. Gas? Better? Who would ever think that except maybe people that buy $150 speaker cables, and think they can taste which country their wine comes from? (They can’t.)

Agreed that older electrical could be less snappy than gas, but come on, gas is just a mess. Uneccesary infrastructure.

Gas is the superior cooking method, and it has zero to do with snobbery. It cooks more evenly than other methods.

einsteinboricua
Topic Author

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:17 pm

M564038 wrote:
and think they can taste which country their wine comes from? (They can’t.)

Keeping in like with your wine analogy, you've only tasted white wines and think people who like red wine are snobs, especially because you've never seen red wine served.

You'd be surprised at how different it is to cook with each method and how different the food tastes.

KentB27

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:37 pm

Gas stoves are inferior to electric stoves. Electric stoves are safer, more reliable, simpler, and are better for the environment.