Revelation
Topic Author

Shoes, feet...

Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:05 pm

I just did a count, and I have 26 pairs of shoes and one pair of feet.

Granted, I live in a true four season part of the world and kinda like shoes, but is this excessive?

What is your shoes/feet ratio?
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

TSS

Re: Shoes, feet...

Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:23 pm

I have two "active" pairs of shoes that I wear at least every other day, plus a pair of bear claw* house shoes that I wear in the winter. I have numerous "inactive" (usually formerly active ones that are too worn to wear on a regular basis but are still functional) pairs of shoes lying around in case I need to do something messy or dirty, e.g. go to the auto salvage yard when it's raining, help my cousin on his farm, etc.

One of my "to do's" is to get a shoe rack for the bottom of the closet so I can better organize my "inactive" shoes.

*These-

Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

seb146

Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:28 pm

I think I have 75 pair of shoes. We are now allowed to wear any shoes we want at work, so I have started wearing any of them that are appropriate (no sandals). While I was wearing them at work, I discovered my most favorite pair are falling apart. 1998 Nike Son Of Glove II the soles are coming apart from the uppers. I was told about a "shoe glue" so I am hoping that will work.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Revelation
Topic Author

Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:44 pm

seb146 wrote:
I think I have 75 pair of shoes. We are now allowed to wear any shoes we want at work, so I have started wearing any of them that are appropriate (no sandals). While I was wearing them at work, I discovered my most favorite pair are falling apart. 1998 Nike Son Of Glove II the soles are coming apart from the uppers. I was told about a "shoe glue" so I am hoping that will work.

Wow, it must be something of a struggle to maintain and store 75 pairs of shoes.

I spread my shoes out amongst two closets, one attic storage area (swapping winter for summer etc) and one garage area (for work boots and hiking boots).

As you can tell from my post, I heap a bunch of inner criticism on myself over this: can't I get by with fewer shoes?

I recently had a long argument with myself buying another pair of outdoor boots, since I was using an excellent pair of hiking boots in what I thought was an inappropriate way when doing various lower level outdoor activities. I thought I could just abuse the hiking boots but my inner angst rose to the point where I found myself in a store trying on new boots, and of course I ended up buying them.

PS: If I counted slippers, the count would rise yet again. My ex-wife trained me well: no outside shoes worn inside the house, that's what slippers are for.

Revelation
Topic Author

Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:50 pm

seb146 wrote:

Re: shoe glue: I have an older excellent pair of hiking boots that have a LOT of memories embedded in them, but the glue broke down and one sole is now loose.

I asked around and was told it's next to impossible to get a satisfactory repair, but would love to learn otherwise.

I have used 'shoe goo' ( ref: https://www.amazon.com/Shoe-GOO-110212- ... B004PBOJE8 ) to perform minor repairs ( part of a sole coming loose ) and it worked well, but have been told with entire sole de-bonding it's a different situation.

With the entire sole coming off, you would need to be able to remove almost entirely the old glue, be able to have the same jigs to hold the shoe in place as the new glue dries, etc.

I hope someone can tell me otherwise...

seb146

Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:53 pm

Revelation wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Wow, it must be something of a struggle to maintain and store 75 pairs of shoes.

Not really. I wear a different pair every day, for the most part. Also, because I have so many, the brosband does not notice when I buy a new pair! The majority of them are in plastic totes in the garage with anti-moisture packs. Mold is a huge problem here on the coast. It never gets warm enough to slow or stop the mold, so we have to use (I think it is called) Damp Rid.

Revelation wrote:
As you can tell from my post, I heap a bunch of inner criticism on myself over this: can't I get by with fewer shoes?

No. No you can't.

My biggest problem is finding the right size. 11 or 11 1/2 in Converse, 12 in Puma, Nike, UnderArmor, and Adidas and anywhere up to 13 in the "off" brands. Shoe companies say the average shoe size for men is 10, so they make more shoes in size 10 than any other. That leaves a lot of us struggling to find shoes that fit and look good.

If you live near an outlet mall or one of the discount department stores (Ross, TJ Maxx, etc) go buy boots there. They always have good brands at good prices. Especially in large cities.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

BlueberryWheats

Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:44 pm

seb146 wrote:
My biggest problem is finding the right size. 11 or 11 1/2 in Converse, 12 in Puma, Nike, UnderArmor, and Adidas and anywhere up to 13 in the "off" brands.

Interesting, I find Converse run a bit small so I buy 13 in Converse and 12 in everything else. (UK sizes)

Annoyingly, most shoe shops only go up to a 12 here (and even then it's usually out of stock), so if I want some new Converse I have to order online or buy some whenever I visit the US.

zkojq

Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:40 pm

1 pair of Mizuno running shoes.

1 pair of Hush Puppies dress/work leather shoes (though a few days ago Eurowings lost my bag with these inside, so I suspect that I'm not going to see them again).

1 pair of Clark's dress shoes.

1 cheap pair of slippers that need replacing.

1 pair of Red Band gumboots.

5 pairs of shoes, 1 set of feet.
First to fly the 787-9

TWA772LR

Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:34 am

2 pairs I nukes (black pair for work and one paird for casual/everyday)
1 pair of sperrys (that need to be replaced)
1 pair of new balance for running/working out
1 pair of merrells for hiking
1 pair of Bostonians for dress (desperately need to be replaced)
1 pair Quicksilver flip flops (need to be replaced more than the Bostonians)
1 pair of Vans for casual
1 pair of slippers just 'cause

9 sets of footwear for 1 set of feet :)
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Tugger

Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:42 am

zkojq wrote:

1 pair of Hush Puppies dress/work leather shoes (though a few days ago Eurowings lost my bag with these inside, so I suspect that I'm not going to see them again).

Yeah, I do get the huge number of shoes thing. I have the basics, enough for each activity I do. I guess I am just a basics guy, it seems a waste to have more than needed. I have:
a brown pair of dress shoes
a black pair of dress shoes
a pair of brown casuals
a pair of black casuals
a pair of walking shoes
a pair of running shoes
a pair of "open day-hikers"
a pair of hiking boots
and a pair of "throw them on" shoes (always a old and comfy but dying pair that come from the previous categories)

And if I don't get 5-10 years of use out of them I would be shocked (and bought the wrong pair of shoes).

Also can't remember the last time I spent more that $80 on a pair, and my normal budget is $40-$50.

(Oh yeah, I do have a pair of flip flops too... sooo...)

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

FatCat

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:26 am

I used to live very near to a Timberland brand outlet.
So I went there, once or twice a month, to look for nice deals.
Mainly there were past collections unsold pairs, back from the stores.
I bought 4 pairs of 6'' boots, one of 8'' boots, one of trekking boots (never used, lol), some 4 pairs of boat shoes, one Clark's-like, and some other casual shoes. IIRC the most expensive pair was the 8'' boot @ € 70,-
But my true passion are the Nike Air Max - I currently have two 97s, one 98, two 95, one 90, one 720...
Plus some random NB, LCS, Asics, Converse...
...all for one single pair of feet
Aeroplane flies high
Turns left, looks right

Revelation
Topic Author

Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:26 am

Tugger wrote:
And if I don't get 5-10 years of use out of them I would be shocked (and bought the wrong pair of shoes).

One reason why I have a bunch of shoes is I keep them for so long.

Several pairs of dress shoes go back to the 90s and probably haven''t been worn since then, but ya never know.

I took a class in ballroom dance 15 years ago and bought special shoes for that, and they're still sitting in the closet waiting for me to pick it up again.

FatCat wrote:
I used to live very near to a Timberland brand outlet.
So I went there, once or twice a month, to look for nice deals.
Mainly there were past collections unsold pairs, back from the stores.
I bought 4 pairs of 6'' boots, one of 8'' boots, one of trekking boots (never used, lol), some 4 pairs of boat shoes, one Clark's-like, and some other casual shoes. IIRC the most expensive pair was the 8'' boot @ € 70,-
But my true passion are the Nike Air Max - I currently have two 97s, one 98, two 95, one 90, one 720...
Plus some random NB, LCS, Asics, Converse...
...all for one single pair of feet

Yeah, a lot of my overage is feeling the need for shoes for each outdoor activity. I have some half hight Merrells for day hiking, full on hiking boots, boots suitable for sloppy winter treks to work but not any serious outdoors work, snowmobile style thermal boots, half and full hight rubber boots, bicycling shoes with toe clips, etc.

Living next to a Timberland (or a Merrill) outlet would mean I probably have even more shoes than I do, but I live in a tax free state with lots of outlets within driving distance and I largely only go when I need some thing.

zkojq wrote:

It's nice if you can keep it simple, but I guess I'm failing at that.

I definitely have my "daily driver" shoes, mostly Eccos for work since they fit the dressy casual requirement yet are very comfortable and durable, along with Merrells for casual days, but I have two pairs of each, just because I get bored of wearing the exact same thing day after day.

aviationaware

Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:13 pm

I just bought 4 pairs last weekend alone. I'm gay and that's my way to live my feminine side. Altogether I probably have north of a hundred pairs even though I stash many old ones in my storage unit thousands of miles away so right now accessible I just counted 23 pairs on the floor along the wall in the hall + 4 in my closet + 1 in my gym bag + 5 Axel Arigato pairs in the mail as I write this (one of them is pink, don't judge me. I'm sure they'll go great with black jeans and a leather jacket). So 23 altogether. I arrived here with four pairs so I bough 29 pairs over the past half year since I moved here.

I just noticed I have a big problem.
PS I'm mostly in love with loafers, so if you see a nice pair that's a bit eccentric give me a shout.
PPS yes my feet are always full of blisters because I wear a different pair every day so most of them never get worn in properly.

sierrakilo44

Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:23 pm

I’m a pretty casual dresser and a semi minimalist, so just 7 pairs,
Black dress boots that double as work shoes
Solid hiking shoes
Lightweight running shoes
Casual sneakers
1 pair of sandals
2 pairs of rubber flip flops

Because I live in Australia I mostly wear the flip flops 90% of the time outside of work. I get several years use out of each pair of shoes so I rarely am shopping for new ones, except for the flip flops, because they are my most worn shoes I go through several pairs per year.

ParkFSI

Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:32 pm

One pair of Red Wing steel toe boots, one pair of slippers, two pair of tennis and two pair of dress shoes.

FlyingColours

Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:47 pm

I have one pair of dress shoes, one pair of casual "walking shoes / sneakers" and a pair of Steel Toe Cap boots which is my preferred choice of footwear for every occasion (even on holiday). The main reason could be that they are comfy and safe or that I'm cheap and haven't had to buy any footwear in over 10 years ;)

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

T18

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:35 pm

Pretty sure I'm at one to one as far as usable shoes go (do have an old busted pair that I haven't tossed out yet) unless you count slippers.
“Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.” ― Steve McQueen (Le Mans) 1971

Revelation
Topic Author

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:05 pm

Seems we are converging on a median of 6 to 8 pairs of shoes per pair of feet.

I think I'll set a goal of getting down to 2x this number i.e. 12 to 16 pair since any less seems totally unrealistic!

WarRI1

Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:24 am

I wear a different pair of shoes everyday, including work boots, dress, sandals, walking, all weather, snow, I have 22 pair. No sneakers. I hate new shoes, so I take care of them and keep them.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

Fars

Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:28 am

I don't like high heels (I'm a girl),as it makes my feet uncomfortable.

Pellegrine

Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:38 am

I think it's about 600-700. I have a bedroom with closet just for my wardrobe that doesn't fit in my master bedroom, then storage in the basement. I like to buy designer runway shoes and wear them once and then bring them back out 10 years later. I have the extremely rare Kanye West Louis Vuitton high tops; 2007 Gucci half-stretch material low sneakers; YSL Johnny boots like you've never seen; Gucci boots like you saw on Jared Leto at this year's Met Gala, and custom shoes which include croc lace-ups, cowboy boots with 4" stacked heels, and even a pair of coyote fur boots when we have snowmageddons in DC.
oh boy, here we go!!!

DL717

Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:25 pm

Revelation wrote:
I just did a count, and I have 26 pairs of shoes and one pair of feet.

Granted, I live in a true four season part of the world and kinda like shoes, but is this excessive?

What is your shoes/feet ratio?

I think I have 10 pairs. Couple pair of dress shoes, couple pair tennis shoes, yard work shoes, hiking shoes, cycling shoes, a pair of boots, probably a couple under there somewhere that I could get rid of because they are collecting dust.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:40 pm

I think maybe a couple dozen. 4 pair of Luccheses, 5 pair of Paul Bond, all ropers; two pair of Sperrys for summer; a pair of “hikers” North Face I think for shooting; two pair of LL Bean boots for winter; some dress shoes.

cranberrysaus

Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:07 pm

I have a pair of Bass loafers and dress shoes. For more casual wear I have a pair of tree Allbirds runners and a pair of white sneakers.

Surprisingly, probably the most comfortable shoe I own are my rainbow flip-flops. Obviously they're super casual, but they're well worth the cost and they last forever.

UltimateDelta

Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:20 am

-1 pair of Tretorn sneakers
-1 pair of Adidas running shoes that are my main daily wearers (bought them for an old job that involved a lot of standing, and to keep the Tretorns nice)
-1 pair of Dockers dress shoes
-1 pair of New Balance running shoes I use for actual running
-1 pair of Chaco sandals
-1 pair of some generic brand of snow boots

Can't really imagine what else I would conceivably need.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010

Dano1977

Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:01 pm

1 pair of Hush Puppies for work.
1 pair of Merrels walking boots for dog walking
1 pair of Salvatore Ferragamo oxford shoes for Weddings/Christenings/going out.
1 pair of Nike's for gardening
1 pair of Ugg ankle high boots for casual wear
The average EU official - he has the organising ability of the Italians, the flexibility of the Germans and the modesty of the French. And that's topped up by the imagination of the Belgians, the generosity of the Dutch.

casinterest

Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:37 pm

I buy new sneakers every 3 months. Older pairs become dog walkers, or lawn mower shoes and then they get moved on to the garbage. So usually 3-5 pairs
Wear Birkenstock in the summer, try to keep 2 pair
Dress Shoes for suit events/date nights. I keep 3-4 pair, and never spend more than 40 on a pair.
some old crocs for boating 1-2 pair
slippers -1-2 pair
Work boots for yard work/Chainsaw/heavy machinery 1 pair.

So probably 11-20 pairs.
Where ever you go, there you are.

TheFlyingDisk

Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:09 am

3 pairs of shoes. One shoe for work, and two sneakers.

I honestly don't see the need to have more.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Classa64

Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:59 am

One pair of black dress shoes that I have had forever and rarely ever wear,
One pair of sneakers for everyday,
One pair for when I am at the track in my car, but are actually a really worn out pair of sneakers not fit for wearing anywhere else.
One pair of work boots for work.
Heavy rubber boots
That's about it :)
"Freedom is the miles i'm rolling on"

jovelson

Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:05 am

I have two pairs of dress shoes, two sneakers, one running shoes and one pair of boots.

vikkyvik

Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:52 pm

Definitely on the minimalist end here...

One pair of tennis shoes
One pair of regular sneakers
One pair of black dress shoes
One pair of steel-toes for work

That's it.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

sbworcs

Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:11 pm

I think I have about 40 - 45 pairs (not counted for a while). All types from sandals, flip-flops, trainers (gym and casual(, VANS etc, dress shoes, work shoes, "posh" shoes, boots and snow boots
The best way forwards is upwards!