enilria
Topic Author

JetBlue Sues Walmart Over Jetblack

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:10 pm

I'm not sure I see it. If Walmart was using to sell travel I would agree, but I don't think JetBlue logically owns Jetblack which was a phrase before JetBlue existed. Good luck suing Walmart.

JetBlue Airways has sued Walmart for trademark infringement, after the world’s largest retailer began using the name Jetblack for its text-based personal shopping service.

In a complaint filed on Friday night in Manhattan federal court, JetBlue called Jetblack a “transparent attempt” by Walmart to capitalize on the goodwill associated with the carrier’s trademarks.

JetBlue also said Jetblack was likely to cause “significant consumer confusion” as Walmart expands the service, and warned that Walmart intends further infringements by using additional “Jet+color” names such as Jetgold and Jetsilver.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/24/jetblue ... rvice.html

LaunchDetected

Re: JetBlue Sues Walmart Over Jetblack

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:17 pm

So JetBlue almost trademarked the word "Blue" (FrenchBlue renaming), and now it's the "Jet+Color".
Caravelle lover

United_fan

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:21 pm

Isn't jetblack a driveway tar sealer,too?
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

F9Animal

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:23 pm

Wow, that is gonna be interesting to see how this plays out. I really don't think there is much of a case here, as it's obviously a product not related to the Airlines. Which makes me wonder. Wouldn't it be an interesting potential if major retailers worked with airlines? Sell things like gift cards, and marketing programs? I know I can find Southwest Airlines gift cards at my local grocery store for example.
I Am A Different Animal!!

enilria
Topic Author

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:26 pm

United_fan wrote:
Isn't jetblack a driveway tar sealer,too?

Probably. Unless I'm missing something, this is corporate greed over the English language run amok. I wonder if there is another reason they are suing. Like the future settlement forces Walmart to sell JetBlue gift cards?

enilria
Topic Author

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:27 pm

F9Animal wrote:
Wow, that is gonna be interesting to see how this plays out. I really don't think there is much of a case here, as it's obviously a product not related to the Airlines. Which makes me wonder. Wouldn't it be an interesting potential if major retailers worked with airlines? Sell things like gift cards, and marketing programs? I know I can find Southwest Airlines gift cards at my local grocery store for example.

LOL. Just posted that at almost the same moment. A Trojan horse for a settlement? Perhaps.

compensateme

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:28 pm

I picture goth kids, not JetBlue, when I hear “jet black.”
We don’t care what your next flight is.

lostsound

Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:53 pm

Perhaps B6 has interest in marketing/retaining the “jet+colour” formula beyond JetBlue as they are the most famous corporate example. Even if it’s not an airline, a brand the size of Walmart would dwarf B6 in a marketing battle. Where they’re different markets, the case may be null so I guess we’ll watch and see.

ChrisEtihad272

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:06 pm

lol americans will try and sue for anything

OA940

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:17 pm

Didn't we have another case of an airline trying to sue a completely unrelated company with a kinda but not very similar name recently?
A350/CSeries = bae

NIKV69

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:20 pm

ChrisEtihad272 wrote:
lol americans will try and sue for anything

I have to say you are right.
Nikon from day one, Nikon till I die,

YYZYYT

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:34 pm

Don't see why Jetblue is getting all this attitude... Corporations sue to protect trademarks all of the time. I guarantee you that Walmart can / has in the past / will if necessary - go ahead and try to set up a business selling widgets and call you product "Wallmax", see what happens.

Corporate goodwill is a significant asset, JetBlue has spent years and years builing its brand, quite successfully. Also (and perhaps most importantly) if JetBlue doesn't act to prevent an infringing trademark, that weakens the strength of the original trademark and also weakens JetBlue's ability to prevent infringement in the future.

N766UA

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:40 pm

I thought jet black was a color. Is jetBlue going to sue the visible spectrum?

apodino

Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:42 pm

This is going to sound like a strange post, but I actually think if anyone has a case in a lawsuit against WalMart over this, it would be the Brunswick Corporation and not JetBlue. Brunswick is the number one manufacturer of bowling alley equipment in the US, and one of the Model A pinsetters was called the JetBack. If they had a trademark on that, I think they could have a case considering how similar jetback and jetblack are.

Lrockeagle

Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:16 pm

If it weren’t for Boston John I would have never heard of JetBlue
Lrockeagle
14 years ago

I got $20 says AA takes their 787's with GE powerplants. Just a hunch. Any takers?

sccutler

Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:01 pm

Sort of laughable.

Outside of New York, Jetblue's market Presence is pretty limited, so it's not as if anyone would knock themselves out to "benefit" from the association.

And, let's be real - what moron would see an advert for JetBlack shopping, and say to themselves, "Self, I bet that is good because JetBlue, the airline that likely doesn't have service to my hometown, has the word 'Jet' and a color in it, and that's an awesome thing, a clear sign of excellence, the kind of excellence that has allowed JetBlue to stagnate and stumble along all these years..."

Yeah. You bet.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

TSS

Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:23 pm

OA940 wrote:
Didn't we have another case of an airline trying to sue a completely unrelated company with a kinda but not very similar name recently?

Not that I'm aware of, but recently McDonald's sued Irish fast food chain Supermac's over the use of any form of "Mac" in relation to fast food burgers because of McDonald's long use of the trademarked term "Big Mac" and lost- https://www.irishcentral.com/culture/food-drink/supermacs-mcdonalds-big-mac-trademark

Not only did McDonald's lose the case, they also lost their copyright to the term "Big Mac", and rival Burger King lost no time in ribbing them mercilessly about it-

In Jetblue versus Jetblack, this would seem to be a relevant case.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

TheLunchbox

Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:53 pm

Now THIS is copyright infringement.

AtomicGarden

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:36 am

Why stop at Wal Mart? sue the asses of everything with the word Jet!
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

Super80Fan

Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:15 am

Typical JetBlue bullying tactics. Nothing else to see here, but funny to see as the name "JetBlue" will cease to exist in a few years.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

SheikhDjibouti

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:11 pm

compensateme wrote:
I picture goth kids, not JetBlue, when I hear “jet black.”

The Stranglers were more punk/new wave than goth....
The Stranglers
Jean-Jacques Burnel, Dave Greenfield, Hugh Cornwell, and the mean looking guy on the left is the drummer, Jet Black.
Not the sort of fella that JetBlue would want to pick a fight with.... :box:

Peaches, anybody?
Nothing to see here; move along please.

FlyingColours

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:21 pm

Kind of reminds me of this one (which had a happy ending) where Dolce & Gabbana sued a Scottish garage named "David & George" over their "D&G" name...
https://irenebrination.typepad.com/irenebrination_notes_on_a/2012/03/dg-fife-garage.html

In the end the fashion company agreed to drop the claim and as long as the mechanics stayed out of the fashion business they would stay out of the automotive industry ;) - The linked story doesn't state that however, it was in a BBC news article at the time when D&G had been asked for comment.

As for JetBlack, that doesn't sound like a very "shoppy" name to me, then again we have companies named like "Purple Bricks" and "Blue Pumpkin" so maybe randomness is important...

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

slider

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:53 pm

This has about as much merit as when the Susan G Komen Foundation (aka, the Komen Kult) tried to trademark the color pink.

Good luck, B6. Not a great play, and horrible optics.

b6bos143

Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:50 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
...the name "JetBlue" will cease to exist in a few years.

You can say it again and again, but that doesn’t mean it’s true. That’s an opinion only.

RightRudder

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:51 pm

I can see jetBlue's case on name dilution. They should go after the real deal and buy Jet.com. Walmart purchased jet.com in 2016 for 3 billion. That is half of what the U.S. budget deficit was in 1974. Walmart also trademarked JetGold and JetSilver.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-walm ... SKCN1TP1NY
Last edited by RightRudder on Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana".

flyPIT

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:56 pm

If B6 ever had a legit copyright issue it was with this:
FLYi

RightRudder

Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:57 pm

flyPIT wrote:
If B6 ever had a legit copyright issue it was with this:

Copyright is something else. This is a trademark issue.
"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana".

RWA380

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:49 pm

No judge should allow this to progress. If Walmart was in a related field or tried to tie in fonts or JetBlue's blue & then tried to turn a profit off of that correlation, then maybe. But just because they have a similar name? Nah, this is a massive waste of taxpayer dollars & federal court time.
707, 717, 720, 727-1/2, 737-1/2/3/4/5/7/8/9, 747-1/2/3, 757, 767-2/3/4, 777-2/3, DC8, DC9, MD80/2/7/8, D10-1/3/4, M11, L10-2/5, A300/310/319/320
AA AC AQ BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WN WP YS 8M

ER757

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:37 pm

Jetblack doesn't sound like a very good name for a shopping tool to me, just don't see what it has to do with shopping.
Maybe Jetblue is making a fuss because it's one word like their name - Walmart should just call it Jet Black (two words) - end of controversy

DL717

Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:01 pm

enilria wrote:
I'm not sure I see it. If Walmart was using to sell travel I would agree, but I don't think JetBlue logically owns Jetblack which was a phrase before JetBlue existed. Good luck suing Walmart.

JetBlue Airways has sued Walmart for trademark infringement, after the world’s largest retailer began using the name Jetblack for its text-based personal shopping service.

In a complaint filed on Friday night in Manhattan federal court, JetBlue called Jetblack a “transparent attempt” by Walmart to capitalize on the goodwill associated with the carrier’s trademarks.

JetBlue also said Jetblack was likely to cause “significant consumer confusion” as Walmart expands the service, and warned that Walmart intends further infringements by using additional “Jet+color” names such as Jetgold and Jetsilver.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/24/jetblue ... rvice.html

Maybe they wanted it for the A220 fleet, treating it more as a regional/medium haul operation and discovered the potential issues with using the name...
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?