Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Pavlakakos
Topic Author

Israel reports partially GPS signal loss

Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:44 pm

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/israel-says-gps-mysteriously-disrupted-in-its-airspace-but-planes-secure-1.7413357

Don't really know what to make of it. Can aircraft loose GPS signal but ground based systems remain unaffected?
The Syria issue may not be on the news anymore, but the global powers that be never left. Could it be a selective EW action?

Jouhou

Re: Israel reports partially GPS signal loss

Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:26 pm

EW action? What's that? Anyways, it's Israel, so if it's a state actor behind it they would say so. It's probably to do with something natural that science might explain.
情報

PhilMcCrackin

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:23 pm

Jouhou wrote:
EW action? What's that? Anyways, it's Israel, so if it's a state actor behind it they would say so. It's probably to do with something natural that science might explain.

Electronic warfare. Most first world militaries have the capability of jamming GPS. My guess is it's the product of something the Israeli military is doing.

FredrikHAD

Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:22 pm

Russia seems eager to show their ability to jam GPS signals as well:

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/03/18/norway-a64852

Jamming GPS signals in specific areas isn’t that hard. You basically transmit garbage on the same frequencies that GPS systems use, with a directional antennae.

/Fredrik

sonicruiser

Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:41 pm

Iran has a strong track record of being able to jam GPS, in fact it's how they hacked and landed an RQ-170 a few years ago as well as capturing an American naval boat.
شما می توانید مردم را تحریم کنید ، اما نمی توانید سبک تحریم را اعمال کنید

You can sanction people, but you can't sanction style

bennett123

Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:59 pm

Surely if it was the IDF, then the equivalent of a D Notice would have been issued.

greg85

Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:51 pm

This happens often in that part of the world. It’s even in the NOTAMs for several places around that region. Even the PFO and LCA NOTAMs across the water in Cyprus have had warnings of “GPS jamming”. It does affect aircraft on a regular basis, but of course airliners are not reliant on GPS.

Babyshark

Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:35 pm

We get jammed in the America southwest pretty regularly. Dont even think about it when the ecam pops up. Just tell atc.

VSMUT

Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:01 pm

I've flown close by the Syrian/Israeli coast last year, and the GPS jamming is real. It drops out well out over the Med.

If you ask me, all sides are to blame. The US, Saudi, Russia, Syria, Iran, ISIS and Israel. They all have an interest in preventing each other from using GPS. GPS was from the outset designed to guide bombs, cruise missiles, fighter jets, tanks and troops. It is a military system at heart. That's why.

As for how easy it is to jam - it is extremely easy. GPS signals are very weak. I recall some issues in Canada with truck drivers putting cheap and simple Chinese made GPS jammers in their trucks to prevent employers from registering visits to "fun houses", and inadvertendly blocking GPS signals to air traffic as well.

zkojq

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:57 pm

Russia was jamming GPS signal in Norway not so long ago which was affecting some Wideroe flights.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46178940
First to fly the 787-9

Tugger

Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:30 am

I would think that it would be expected since so many are worried about an adversary using simple things using to attack specific locations easily. Drones, RC aircraft of all types. How easy is it to do something bad using GPS?

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
There are many kinds of sentences that we think state facts about the world but that are really just expressions of our attitudes. - F. Ramsey

tu204

Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:53 am

Frequent GPS/civilian GLONASS jamming around Khmeimim Airbase in Latakia. Experienced it firsthand on my phone. don't know how "localised' it was. But as soon as there is any intel about the bad guys launching drones, jamming comes on.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

kalvado

Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:43 pm

If I remember correctly, GPS signal at consumer-level device with simple antenna is already below the thermal noise floor. Probably a touch better on higher grade devices, but there is only that much you can do. It doesn't take a lot of power to defeat phase-lock circuitry.