af773atmsp
Topic Author

Any e-bike owners or users?

Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:50 am

Last year I used electric bikes in Italy (specifically the region between Asti and Alba) and Copenhagen, and I had such good experiences with them that I wanted to buy one. Well last week I finally did, for $2,450 (there's cheaper ones, but the one I bought fit my needs the most). It's a Blix Aveny with a battery that has a maximum range of 40 miles plus a throttle that can take you at up to 20 miles per hour without any pedaling. I've been using it to get between home and the train station (a distance of around 9 miles one-way), which I usually did with my parents' cars but I'm trying to reduce the amount of my car usage. So far it's been pretty good. Even on hot and humid days I don't break a sweat, hills are easy to conquer, and headwinds don't slow me down.

Anyone else have an e-bike or used an e-bike before? How was your experience?
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK
Too many airports to fit in signature.

Dutchy

Re: Any e-bike owners or users?

Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:01 am

30km/h? That is fast for a bike. Do you use a helm?
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

aviationaware

Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:13 am

My first experience with an e-bike was falling off and breaking my wrist because I slipped on the wet sidewalk due to the totally unsafe acceleration of those things.

Dutchy

Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:27 am

aviationaware wrote:
My first experience with an e-bike was falling off and breaking my wrist because I slipped on the wet sidewalk due to the totally unsafe acceleration of those things.

you mean you are incompetent to ride an e-bike.

af773atmsp
Topic Author

Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:06 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Yes I use a helmet.

If I had to guess my average speed on a one-way trip it would probably be 10-11 miles per hour. I hit 20 where the road is straight for a long length and there's no major intersections I have to worry about.

Aesma

Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:27 pm

I have a company car, that's my excuse to not bike to my job even though it's very close (but with a steep hill to climb).

Here in France the electric scooters are all the rage, with the caveat that as you age, your reflexes and ability to stand on them diminishes, leading to many accidents (and of course, no helmet, and riders use sidewalks to zoom past people on those).
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

Redd

Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:17 am

My personal view of e-bikes is this: if you're not too old or not disabled in some way, you have no excuse for riding an e-bike. The whole point of a bicycle is to get in shape, that's what the pedals are there for.

Aesma wrote:
I have a company car, that's my excuse to not bike to my job even though it's very close (but with a steep hill to climb).

Here in France the electric scooters are all the rage, with the caveat that as you age, your reflexes and ability to stand on them diminishes, leading to many accidents (and of course, no helmet, and riders use sidewalks to zoom past people on those).

They're taking over the streets in Poland as well, lots of accidents, careless riders.

frmrCapCadet

Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:03 pm

When e-bikes first really came on the scene several years ago I imagined what I would like. Biking a lot in Seattle those hills going from seal level to 475 feet or so was really too much. We might hit three of those on a single ride, and then getting back home was another 450 foot climb. Hence my dream. Something that could provide about half the effort needed to climb 500 feet, could recharge going down hill (I also didn't like speeding down hill, so the braking recharge would be great). Battery perhaps just big enough to ensure assist for at least 3 hills (I'd save some assist for that last climb). I think a bike which could do this well would have some sort of internal shifter at the back wheel. Tubes would contain the battery packs. I knew one commuter who simply could not climb the hill comfortably at the end of the day, she used a bus. But assist would be faster and more reliable.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

Aesma

Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:40 pm

Redd wrote:
My personal view of e-bikes is this: if you're not too old or not disabled in some way, you have no excuse for riding an e-bike. The whole point of a bicycle is to get in shape, that's what the pedals are there for.

Well you can do both, and now you can do it with the same bike. Using it as transportation, while in work clothes, not wanting to sweat. Using it for sport, disabling the system (and having to carry the weight of it).
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

tommy1808

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:27 am

Aesma wrote:
Redd wrote:

Well you can do both, and now you can do it with the same bike. Using it as transportation, while in work clothes, not wanting to sweat. Using it for sport, disabling the system (and having to carry the weight of it).

You can also cut down the motor support, in fact in Germany they only add power and you can't use them without peddling, and adjust to your needs. When you ride in groups some may be more fit than others too...

And funny ... I always thought I'd use a bike because they are neat, convenient, within cities often faster than cars and have almost no parking problem....

Saying bikes are for sport is like saying cars are for racing...

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......

tommy1808

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:28 am

frmrCapCadet wrote:
could recharge going down hill (I also didn't like speeding down hill, so the braking recharge would be great).

Also good to keep breakes from overheating downhill...

Best regards
Thomas

Redd

Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:18 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
[

Best regards
Thomas

Cycling is the most watched sport in the world and has a heritage reaching back professionally well over 100 years, but yeah bikes are not for sport.....

JJJ

Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:55 pm

Aesma wrote:

My city has ruled electric scooters are vehicles so they have to go on bike lanes and have to slow down to walking pace on sidewalks. Helmets are mandatory too.

A good few thousands worth of fines have been collected already.

M564038

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:29 pm

The whole point of an e-bike is:
1/It is good for the environment when you ise it insteadnof using the car.
2/Less congestuon on the roads.
3/It gives you plenty of activity and excercise.

Redd wrote:

Aesma wrote:

They're taking over the streets in Poland as well, lots of accidents, careless riders.

tommy1808

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:32 am

Redd wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
[

Best regards
Thomas

Cycling is the most watched sport in the world and has a heritage reaching back professionally well over 100 years, but yeah bikes are not for sport.....

There is also car racing...
Your point was "The whole point of a bicycle is to get in shape, that's what the pedals are there for. ", which is hogwash. Most people use a bike to get from a to b and they would also use a bike if it did jack for your shape.

Best regards
Thomas

Redd

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:43 am

tommy1808 wrote:
Redd wrote:
tommy1808 wrote:
[

Best regards
Thomas

There is also car racing...
Your point was "The whole point of a bicycle is to get in shape, that's what the pedals are there for. ", which is hogwash. Most people use a bike to get from a to b and they would also use a bike if it did jack for your shape.

Best regards
Thomas

You're missing some key points. A race car does not constitute exercise, 99.9% of the population will never own or drive a race car. Millions of people use cycling for sport, in the shape of road training/racing or MTB off-roading. Even while commuting, the moment you start to turn those pedals it is exercise, the rider is using their muscles to create motion and is burning calories.

I don't know how it where you live, but even in Copenhagen if you ask people why they cycle to work, keeping fit will be in EVERYBODY's top three reasons. I'm sure it's the same where you live as well.

tommy1808

Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:51 am

Redd wrote:
You're missing some key points. A race car does not constitute exercise,

you have never been in a race car, have you? That easily makes for a good upper body workout.

I don't know how it where you live, but even in Copenhagen if you ask people why they cycle to work, keeping fit will be in EVERYBODY's top three reasons. I'm sure it's the same where you live as well.

there is no question that it is a benefit of cycling, the interesting follow up question is: would they also cycle to work if they only had the other two reasons.

If you ask people why they use the car to get to work, being protected from the elements will also often be among the top 3 reasons to do that, that doesn´t mean "Cars are to protect from rain".

best regards
Thomas

cpd

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:34 am

Dutchy wrote:

30km/h isn't that fast given some of the frankenstein e-bikes we see around here without power or speed limitations. Some of them a really fast.

My own ride to work, I average 35km/h for the entire ride some days (including stops and starts). The motor on that bike is me, not an electric one. ;)

I'm okay with the e-bikes, if they get more people riding and less driving, then it's a good thing.

Redd

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:08 pm

tommy1808 wrote:
Redd wrote:
You're missing some key points. A race car does not constitute exercise,

you have never been in a race car, have you? That easily makes for a good upper body workout.

there is no question that it is a benefit of cycling, the interesting follow up question is: would they also cycle to work if they only had the other two reasons.

If you ask people why they use the car to get to work, being protected from the elements will also often be among the top 3 reasons to do that, that doesn´t mean "Cars are to protect from rain".

best regards
Thomas

Yes, I have driven a race car. Many actually and in a few different types of racing. Even with non-power steering cars, I've never felt like I'm getting a workout.

As to your follow up question, would people ride to work if the benefits of exercise weren't a consequence of cycling? First off, and I mean this with the most utmost respect, but that's a bit of a silly question as exercise cannot be divided away from cycling. It's like the 2nd conditional in the English language, something which cannot be true.

Ask the people around you today who cycle to work why they do it, ask them for 3 reasons. Plz report back ;) I'll do it tomorrow as I'm working from home today.

Dutchy

Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:24 pm

cpd wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

30km/h isn't that fast given some of the frankenstein e-bikes we see around here without power or speed limitations. Some of them a really fast.

My own ride to work, I average 35km/h for the entire ride some days (including stops and starts). The motor on that bike is me, not an electric one. ;)

I'm okay with the e-bikes, if they get more people riding and less driving, then it's a good thing.

Yes, I average more than 35km/h on my race bike, I was pressed to wear a helmet by a friend of mine. :lol:

c933103

Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:37 pm

What's the difference between an ebike and an electrically powered motorbike?
This is a placeholder.

cpd

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:35 am

c933103 wrote:

E-bikes are supposed to be slower and the electric function is an assistance feature that helps you, provided you are still turning the pedals.

Motorbike isn't like that.

c933103

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:21 pm

cpd wrote:
c933103 wrote:

E-bikes are supposed to be slower and the electric function is an assistance feature that helps you, provided you are still turning the pedals.

What about ebikes that can run at 50+ km/h and can operate without pedal?
This is a placeholder.

frmrCapCadet

Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:47 pm

c933103 wrote:
cpd wrote:
c933103 wrote:

This is an issue especially on major urban trails. Walkers, strollers, and strollers holding kids, runners, wheel chairs and bicycles all sharing the same 10 foot (?) right of way. A bicycle going much faster than a runner simply does not fit in. My guess is that such trails should have a 15 mph limit. Likely electric bikes should be registered and have some sort of ID (plates? electronic?) if they are going to go on an dedicated non-motor trail. Camera/radar enforced.

Jalap

Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:59 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
c933103 wrote:
cpd wrote:

This is an issue especially on major urban trails. Walkers, strollers, and strollers holding kids, runners, wheel chairs and bicycles all sharing the same 10 foot (?) right of way. A bicycle going much faster than a runner simply does not fit in. My guess is that such trails should have a 15 mph limit. Likely electric bikes should be registered and have some sort of ID (plates? electronic?) if they are going to go on an dedicated non-motor trail. Camera/radar enforced.

Fast e-bikes (with support over 25km/h) require a licence plate in Belgium, surely in other countries too. And of course, everybody in traffic needs to follow the rules. If max speed on a road is 30km/h, then you risk a fine going faster, regardless what your ride is.

Unfortunately, there seems to be something about transportation devices that makes some people turn into jerks when operating them. This certainly isn’t a typical e-bike thing.

cpd

Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:25 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
Jalap wrote:
frmrCapCadet wrote:
c933103 wrote:

Fast e-bikes (with support over 25km/h) require a licence plate in Belgium, surely in other countries too. And of course, everybody in traffic needs to follow the rules. If max speed on a road is 30km/h, then you risk a fine going faster, regardless what your ride is.

Unfortunately, there seems to be something about transportation devices that makes some people turn into jerks when operating them. This certainly isn’t a typical e-bike thing.

Sensible riding is key. I’m not on an e-bike, but I still can go pretty fast (bike is a very light Canyon CF Evo). Around walkers, especially those with kids or dogs you have to go slower. When it is clear again, I go faster.

af773atmsp
Topic Author

Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:40 pm

cpd wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
Jalap wrote:
frmrCapCadet wrote:

Sensible riding is key. I’m not on an e-bike, but I still can go pretty fast (bike is a very light Canyon CF Evo). Around walkers, especially those with kids or dogs you have to go slower. When it is clear again, I go faster.

And then there's people who have headphones in or are just completely oblivious no matter how much I signal my approach.

PhilBy

Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:55 pm

In Europe e-bike are limited to assistance up to 25kmh. Above that they are classified as motorbikes. My 105km round trip to work (with 850m climb) was reasible when I wa younger and fitter. Now woth en EU legal ebike I have an average speed of 35kmh. Most of the distance is done with no electrical assistance but the hills are much easier.

Tugger

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:31 pm

Redd wrote:

My god, your arrogance is stupefying. Copenhagen cycling is "fitness"? That city is practically flat! That's not exercise, that's coasting while occasional touching the pedals. No wonder you cycle so much, you don't have to do hardly any work!

You want to get your exercise on your way to work, go someplace like this:

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Biking a lot in Seattle those hills going from seal level to 475 feet or so was really too much. We might hit three of those on a single ride, and then getting back home was another 450 foot climb.

I cycled everywhere in my hometown when I was younger, showing up to school sweating was fine. And I was fit in away that would put a Copenhagen cycler to shame. Try a nice 700 foot rise over 2 miles every day. And because of a valley between you get to do it twice (yes the downhill in nice but you then get more up hill. I love the flats, could move quite nicely with very little effort. That was the fun easy cycling.

Does that sound arrogant enough?

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

frmrCapCadet

Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:43 pm

When I was in Copenhagen I asked why anyone would need gears with all that level territory. Answer: Wind. Of course, wind produces the equivalent of hills - both down hill and up!

Redd

Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:12 pm

Tugger wrote:
Redd wrote:

My god, your arrogance is stupefying. Copenhagen cycling is "fitness"? That city is practically flat! That's not exercise, that's coasting while occasional touching the pedals. No wonder you cycle so much, you don't have to do hardly any work!

You want to get your exercise on your way to work, go someplace like this:

frmrCapCadet wrote:
Biking a lot in Seattle those hills going from seal level to 475 feet or so was really too much. We might hit three of those on a single ride, and then getting back home was another 450 foot climb.

I cycled everywhere in my hometown when I was younger, showing up to school sweating was fine. And I was fit in away that would put a Copenhagen cycler to shame. Try a nice 700 foot rise over 2 miles every day. And because of a valley between you get to do it twice (yes the downhill in nice but you then get more up hill. I love the flats, could move quite nicely with very little effort. That was the fun easy cycling.

Does that sound arrogant enough?

Tugg

You want arrogant, well how about you try to read what someone has written, process that, understand that and respond accordingly... and it's cyclist BTW ;)

C-y-c-l-i-s-t
Last edited by Redd on Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tugger

Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:12 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
When I was in Copenhagen I asked why anyone would need gears with all that level territory. Answer: Wind. Of course, wind produces the equivalent of hills - both down hill and up!

Yes, sort of, in a way. But looking at the wind for there, it is only about 4mph on average more than my area.
https://weatherspark.com/y/74001/Averag ... Year-Round

And wind is at your back for one direction of your commute (in general) so the overall impact is often mostly neutralized. Gears do the rest.

My whole point though is that being arrogant about e-bikes as a rule, as a frame of mind, is nonsensical. Sure, if someone uses the "e" part solely, then yes that is not really "fit" or cycling, that is motor-biking (motor-cycling?). But the "e" can be a wonderful addition for many areas and get many more people out and cycling and enjoying it more (which is what actually gets more people doing anything).

Tugg
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Tugger

Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:13 pm

Redd wrote:
[and there is no such thing as a cycler ;)

I know. :wave:

Tugg